What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

4 minutes ago, Axie said:

with that said, my actual unpopular opinion for the post is that intsys is actually way too faithful in its remakes and i wouldn't mind if the next was a bit more different from the original. genealogy, in particular, would benefit from being remade into basically a different game lol.

Oh yeah, SoV was way too faithful. I could barely *yawn* sit through it...

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Axie said:

binding blade is one remake away from showing all y'all serfs why it already is the best fire emblem game and would be even better with only some slight modernisation

with that said, my actual unpopular opinion for the post is that intsys is actually way too faithful in its remakes and i wouldn't mind if the next was a bit more different from the original. genealogy, in particular, would benefit from being remade into basically a different game lol.

Honestly playing FE6 makes me hope a remake of it fixes these bits.

(Granted, I'm a weirdo who actually really likes SOV's maps.)

I think bits of the game like the entirety of Sacae, where there's tons of unfair stuff, should be changed, not one, but two bolting users who will instantly kill most of your units if they've moved forwards 1-2 tiles in that one chapter isn't exactly fun or fair.

And 6 literally identical sprite bosses in the same map is really lazy. (And I doubt the chapter's "fun" gimmick of one of those 6 thrones being the right one and all others dropping ambush spawns on you is fun since I haven't started it yet.)

I don't even think it's modernization considering how Fe7 removed most of this nonsense only a game later, FE6 feels almost like you're playing a Kaizo trap romhack at times, me and a friend joked about a Kaizo Romhack FE game and honestly some of the stuff we joked about is unironically in FE6 Normal mode. (I can only imagine how much more frustrating it gets on Hard.)

Edited by Samz707

15 minutes ago, Axie said:

binding blade is one remake away from showing all y'all serfs why it already is the best fire emblem game and would be even better with only some slight modernisation

Yeah let's hope said remake changes 80% of the game and how it plays and not be super faithful like Echoes was.

I don't even think it's modernization considering how Fe7 removed most of this nonsense only a game later, FE6 feels almost like you're playing a Kaizo trap romhack at times, me and a friend joked about a Kaizo Romhack FE game and honestly some of the stuff we joked about is unironically in FE6 Normal mode. (I can only imagine how much more frustrating it gets on Hard.)

FE6 is removing everything good about the Kaga games while leaving everything bad and bullshit in.

Edited by Shrimperor

1 hour ago, Samz707 said:

Granted, I'm a weirdo who actually really likes SOV's maps.)

If I’m being completely honest I actually agree with this. There’s just a certain charm to it Y’know 

1 hour ago, Shrimperor said:

Yeah let's hope said remake changes 80% of the game and how it plays and not be super faithful like Echoes was.

Fe6 really just needs all the unfairly punishing stuff of the old FEs out the window and then it’s practically good to go, imo.

1 hour ago, Axie said:

again, its popular lol

if the map and overall progress of battle actually different than vanilla gaiden and way better, it will no doubt become best 3ds FE. (altho it already is best in my mind, but that would be unpopular)

16 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Fe6 really just needs all the unfairly punishing stuff of the old FEs out the window and then it’s practically good to go, imo.

Imo, not, not at all. It needs a very big overhaul to be even playable. Atleast for me.

I want a FE4 remake first anyway

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Imo, not, not at all. It needs a very big overhaul to be even playable. Atleast for me.

That bad huh? I can’t think of anything else unique to its gameplay.

Edited by Sooks

1 hour ago, Axie said:

Absolutely. Echoes was fun (in my time with the game), but map design was mediocre at best, of what I experienced. FE4 would have that problem even more so than Gaiden did.

3 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

want a FE4 remake first anyway

Agreed. I keep considering going back to FE4 and using fast-forward as much as possible to fix the pace, but I just can't get myself to do it. I'd need a lot of QoL and other changes to make the game enjoyable for me. Free trading, individual chapters split into parts, more characterization, etc.

Just now, Sooks said:

Throne bonuses being absurd, map design that can be quite boring or bland at times, and hit rates are all aspects that need to be fixed, IMO.

Project Ember did a lot to make the game like what I think a remake should be. I hope IntSys does something similar.

Edited by twilitfalchion

7 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Throne bonuses being absurd, map design that can be quite boring or bland at times, and hit rates are all aspects that need to be fixed, IMO.

The first two are what I meant when I said fixing the unfairness, but now that I think about it I worded it really poorly. But yeah, I agree.

I only felt like a handful of maps were bad map design wise myself, though. Glares at 20x Ilia

Edited by Sooks

5 minutes ago, Sooks said:

The first two are what I meant when I said fixing the unfairness, but now that I think about it I worded it really poorly. But yeah, I agree.

I only felt like a handful of maps were bad map design wise myself, though. Glares at 20x Ilia

all gaiden chapter maps maybe except the first are either bad or punishingly unfair in hard mode. but many other normal maps are... normal imo, some become worse because of ambush spawn

Edited by joevar

4 minutes ago, joevar said:

all gaiden chapter maps maybe except the first are either bad or punishingly unfair in hard mode. but many other normal maps are... normal imo, some become worse because of ambush spawn

All of them become worse because of ambush spawns imo. They have never done any good for the series.

Oh and yeah, the gaidens suck. I just think 20x Ilia is probably the worst.

Edited by Sooks

25 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I will just copy what i posted from the gba poll thread over here:

FE6, easy. It's not only my least fav. FE, but one of my least fav. games in general. Ambush spawns, low hit rates, 80% useless units, useless lord, bleh story, bad & long maps, gaiden chapters that make revelation maps look good. There's nothing redeemable about that game, imo. Everytime i try it i want to drop the series altogether. It has everything i hate from the Kaga games without anything i love from them.

FE7 isn't much better, even if it's more of the zzz variant.

Honestly i consider the GBA era generally to be the weakest in the series. Only FE8 i kinda like, and only after a difficulty patch.

I also wrote a wall of text that went in detail on why i hate the GBA games over in the Teehee thread a few months ago.

Edited by Shrimperor

8 minutes ago, joevar said:

unpopular: live-action FE ads is bad, but we also badly needs it.  XD  no one does it anymore, sadly

We need a crappy live-action FE adaptation but they get the Dorcas Actor from the FE7 live action ad as a Cameo.

I believe Chapter 12 did fine use of reinforcements because they come from obvious places (stairs and the beginning of the stage when the turn limit for the Weapon is near).

I think what FE6 needs is

• Overall polishing
  • Buffing everything's hitrate by ten or so. 
  • Nerfing of thrones
  • Roy has three tiers of promotion
  • Making Gaiden requirements clear or making them free and making them not awful

I doubt that any of that's unpopular, though.

Howevr, an unpopular opinion is that lances are the worst of the weapon triangle  in FE6. Axes are much better than lances.

Edited by Benice

10 minutes ago, Benice said:

• Overall polishing
  • Nerfing of thrones
  • Making Gaiden requirements clear or making them free and making them not awful

Howevr, an unpopular opinion is that lances are the worst of the weapon triangle  in FE6. Axes are much better than lances.

Did you just never face a wyvern rider or lord? xD

12 minutes ago, Sooks said:

They would be an argument why axes might be better than lances on player characters. ;):

It's an interesting take, actually. In terms of raw stats, the low-tier axes are -5 hit and +1 might compared to their lance counterpart, so they're not that different from each other when weapon triangle isn't in effect. Silver Axe (-10 hit), Killer Axe (same) and Brave Axe (-15) are quite a lot worse, though. I can see the point, since large parts of the game have loads of axe-wielding (the isles arc) or lance-wielding (Ilia and endgame) enemies, and axes are almost universally better against those.

46 minutes ago, Benice said:

• Overall polishing
  • Nerfing of thrones

It's not. But I'd agree. Project Ember did all that, apart from the Roy promotion and gaiden bit, and even more to make the game better.

If IntSys would just look to the work the PE team did on FE6 to improve the experience, I think the remake would be very successful.

Edited by twilitfalchion

I've thought about, and my wishes for an FE6 remake are quite lengthy:

• General QOL and modernized features.
  • Alter the Sacae Route's maps to be less annoying, they're not difficult maps, just a drag.
  • Alter the Divine Weapons maps, though this isn't super essential, even if they're still bad Warp-skipping will still be an option.
  • General rebalance of cast, i don't want them to even bother trying to make every character be on a equal footing or even all good necessarily, just make it so that no character is an outright drag to use. I don't need them to make Sophia or the Armor Knights good, just make it so that if i do decide to use them for whatever reason my life isn't pain.
  • Axes' hit rates, don't buff them too much, buff them by about 5 Hit or so, buff them too much and the maps of the early game where most enemies are bandits with axes would become hell. If they wanna make the playable axe users better just buff their skill and luck, don't alter the axes themselves too much.
  • This is a bit of a "What if" case, but if IS decides to add FE7 references to the game, don't change stuff, i don't mind if they do add references, but do it in new text (Base Convos, new Supports that weren't in the original, new flavor text) and don't alter any of the original text to do it.
  • If they do decide to alter any of the existing text, i'd rather them alter the way the campaign is written, i don't want the scenarios or story itself to change, i would just rather not have Roy talk to Merlinus and only Merlinus in most chapters as it would let other characters have the spotlight in the main campaign even if only for a moment. I'd say that to account for permadeath make it so that Roy talks to other characters if they're alive but if they've died then the dialogue is now with Merlinus.

4 hours ago, joevar said:

again, its popular lol

if the map and overall progress of battle actually different than vanilla gaiden and way better, it will no doubt become best 3ds FE. (altho it already is best in my mind, but that would be unpopular)

the unpopular part is mostly "i want intsys to change genealogy beyond recognition" because it's the year of our virus 2020 and people still worship the the disk space that rom walks on, though it is a bit surprising to me to see people being not as averse to change as they were, say, after new mystery (which is still very much on the faithful side of remakes, fyi). guess echoes being almost a glorified port made everyone more open to the idea, even with the risk of a less faithful remake looking more like one of the less heralded newer games.

My stance on Remakes is that yes, they should change stuff and be distinct experiences from the original (Such as the DS remakes compared to FE1 and FE3), but if they end up becoming pretty much completely different games i'd rather have the devs make a new game instead.

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

You've triggered my trap card! It's time for a rant!

This is all assuming Hard, by the way. Normal is easy enough that the niche aspects in which Axes are superior

Okay, so:

The earlygame is an absolute axefest which basically lasts until ch. 13. Chapters 7 and 8 are somewhat exempt from this. Therefore, lances will be at a large disadvantage at this point in the game. Axes will do decent-In fact, Lot and Wade are the only non-Marcus units who can ORKO soldiers at this point and have access to the unreliable but potent Halberd, which CAN be somewhat useful. Wade and Lot (To a lesser extent) help give axes a bad name-the only other unit who will struggle as majorly as them with hit rates is Gonzales. Lances aren't common for most of the earlygame, but they are present, whereas swords are basically exclusive to Mercenaries, and Lances will have roughly the same hit rate as swords would against them. Finally, in chapter 7, the Killer axe is a good way to deal with the wyverns. Even though it's not reliable, (They'll have about 25-30 crit, depending on supports and level) it's still decent damage either way.

At this point, you'll now have Marcus and Jerrot as reliable options to use axes, and after the next chapter you might have a third or even fourth, be it from a promoted Deke, Allance or Noah. Plus, if you bothered to try to use Wade or Lot, they'll also be quite decent at this point as well.

The western isles will be awful for lances, and while axes will still be inferior to swords, they've still got an edge on their competition. You'll also pick up more axe users along the way: Geese, who is quite workable in terms of usability, Gonzales, who is not good, and Bartre, who is fine. Echidna is good with axes, but they're too heavy for her without the body ring. Ch. 13 is quite the lancefest, so your axes can go to town here.

Chapter 14 is primarily magic users, but plenty of wyverns as well. Axes don't do very well in this one.

15 is a mix, and any well-trained axe users should be fine but not outstanding. You'll also pick up Garret, who is honestly quite good. Chapter 16 is another map where your axes will be mediocre, but then after 16(or 16x), chapters 17 onwards all are chock-full of axes, meaning that hit problems that axes have are made really miniscule. Plus, they have WTA on the terrifying Wyvern Lords, which is astoundingly valuable, and Berserkers on mountain peaks in 21 are one of the best ways to deal with the throngs of wyverns there.

Now, in Sacae, axes suffer a lot. But really, so does everything other than magic and sort of swords.

So, as a tl;dr, Axes aren't that bad in FE6 due to their prowess in the lategame, Berserkers being great and some very high-skill units wielding them as well as Paladins having axess to axes. Swords are pretty good throughout but are on a bit of shaky ground in Ilia onwards, but Lances never really have a period when they're dominant.

6 hours ago, Axie said:

I like Genealogy as it is with its crazy big maps and limited ability bro trade weapons. But I actually wouldn't be adverse to a "Basically make an entirely different game" approach that cut its maps up and had a more traditional chapter count. Because I also agree that remakes should be willing to change more (in fact coincidentally I just started this conversation in another thread on this site). One opinion that's probably really unpopular is that I actually want to see an Avatar in a Genealogy remake. Not because I particularly like Avatars in Fire Emblem, but because of the potential for eugenics if you can choose a (minor) holy blood for your avatar.