What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

Ambush spawns/an abundance of reinforcement spawns (Especially when the total amount of reinforcements surpass 20) are way, way more annoying than Cantors.

Counterpoint: Ambush spawns would be completely fine if they were properly telegraphed both in terms of location (by map features such as forts and stairs, or even just by dialogue) and timing (by dialogue; be it the boss boasting loudly how the reinforcements will soon surprise the heroes, or someone hears footsteps from the stairs, or a new recruit warns that they're being followed by enemies (like Norne and Frey in NMotE). The problem is that most of the time, you only get one of the two, or neither.

Regular reinforcements, where you can just camp the spot and farm them for XP on player phase, are honestly much more silly, since they turn what should be an added challenge into, well, small chunks of XP.

4 hours ago, OutcastsofRelix said:

Or have the avatar either die or betray SIgurd. Then their child who would be( I want to say the opposite gender but at the same time we need something different) or the gender of your choosing.

I think having Naga blood would be cool but the Loptyr just no. If Naga have it be minor and a distant relative to Deirdre through her father like an uncle or aunt or something.

For Second Gen: Remove most of the substitutes(except the Tailtiu niece and nephew) because they offer nothing to the story.

Change Lester's hair color because how tf is his hair blue if his dad(in my canon) is Midayle. Did she cheat.

Remove the incest and child sacrifice. 

And give Julia someone to S support that's not Seliph.

Speaking of hair colour they could pull the modern design choice of variable hair colour for kids. Thats basically standard now.

Also incest and child sacrifice is a core part of the story. They better not change that.

2 hours ago, ping said:

Counterpoint: Ambush spawns would be completely fine if they were properly telegraphed both in terms of location (by map features such as forts and stairs, or even just by dialogue) and timing (by dialogue; be it the boss boasting loudly how the reinforcements will soon surprise the heroes, or someone hears footsteps from the stairs, or a new recruit warns that they're being followed by enemies (like Norne and Frey in NMotE). The problem is that most of the time, you only get one of the two, or neither.

Regular reinforcements, where you can just camp the spot and farm them for XP on player phase, are honestly much more silly, since they turn what should be an added challenge into, well, small chunks of XP.

Even knowing exactly where and when ambush spawns are coming, not knowing the stats or class of the incoming enemy really sucks as you don't know how much of the map will suddenly be under threat and how powerful that threat is. And if they do show you exactly what class and stars the oncoming enemy is, well then by that point you don't actually really have ambush spawns anymore.

Edited by Jotari

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Even knowing exactly where and when ambush spawns are coming, not knowing the stats or class of the incoming enemy really sucks as you don't know how much of the map will suddenly be under threat and how powerful that threat is.

The map design should provide clues (such as the surrounding terrain, the position relative to the objective, the strength and positioning of the initial enemy deployment) and dialogue should contain intel to allow the player to estimate those things.

I would just rather the enemy not be able to jump you even if you’re somewhat warned ahead of time in a game that is so insanely punishing for units dying (i.e. they don’t come back).

6 hours ago, OutcastsofRelix said:

Or have the avatar either die or betray SIgurd. Then their child who would be( I want to say the opposite gender but at the same time we need something different) or the gender of your choosing.

I think having Naga blood would be cool but the Loptyr just no. If Naga have it be minor and a distant relative to Deirdre through her father like an uncle or aunt or something.

For Second Gen: Remove most of the substitutes(except the Tailtiu niece and nephew) because they offer nothing to the story.

Change Lester's hair color because how tf is his hair blue if his dad(in my canon) is Midayle. Did she cheat.

I'm pretty sure that Genealogy actually let Pregnant women die while Awakening chickened out of it. (If I recall seeing online, when two characters get together in Genealogy, if the father dies, you still get the child unit but if the mother dies you don't, so the implication is they're actually pregnant like FE7 Louise so if they die, the unborn child unit dies with them, thanks Kaga.) 

Doubt they'll remove those, Fates was heavy on the incest (Yes, I know you get a convenient letter of "Oh it's not actually incest!" when you S-rank, it's still pandering to that fetish.), Echoes had people trying to kill children (and even got away with Valbar's VA outright saying Bastard.) and both Echoes/FE7 potentially had children dying on-screen. (Delthea's underage if I Remember and I think the Ram kids can die in the prologue? never tried it while Zephiel can die in Fe7.), They could get censored admittingly but it's not a guarantee.

Kinda surprised Echoes ended up with a 12 rating, considering on-screen blood when Rudolf died and Valbar's VA, again, outright saying Bastard at one point. (Then again I'm amazed Fates/Awakening got away with it.), FE in general is a series I'm surprised only 12 rated considering some of the dark stuff in the series. (The ESRB is weird), it's just Echoes has stuff that really gets the ESRB in a twist to a 15 rating. (Blood and swearing.)

Honestly I'd be interested in a Cleric Lord, who actually starts off mainly healing the army and being bad at/unable to defend themselves in direct combat. (Maybe they can technically use Swords/Axes/Lances but they're comparable to Donnel until they get levelled up a good bit, I'm okay with a unit that's utterly terrible at combat if they can at least do things other than combat.)

Difficulty should effect the amount of promotion items/Status boosters that are in the game, so say, (assuming this is a game where Easy is actually comparable to Normal in the more recent games.) Easy has promotion items /status boosters available in most stores and somewhat frequently can be stolen, Normal has a decent amount laying around and you are given the option to fork out gold for some (So the stock of them in shops would be limited, like in Three Houses.) while Hard is extremely stingy like FE6.

So you can easily promote everyone on Easy, most units/all with Arena use on Normal but Hard will force you to only promote 2-3 units in each Promotion category. 

Edited by Samz707

6 hours ago, Baldrick said:

Seliph can kill Julius in the original, it undermines the story repeatedly establishing that Julia is the only threat to Julius.

I prefer you can kill Julius with anyone if you are strong/skilled enough. Or else you come under no limit fallacy. 

julius is way too easy with julia and way too hard without her. i actually think it should be harder for you to damage him with julia, a bit easier (but still pretty hard) to do it with others (actually the problem is surviving a hit from him i guess), and then they could pull a RD and code it so julia needs to deliver the final blow to julius or else he doesn't actually die. simple.

6 hours ago, ping said:

are honestly much more silly, since they turn what should be an added challenge into, well, small chunks of XP.

yep, it just become Arena but in open field, lol

33 minutes ago, Axie said:

or else he doesn't actually die. simple.

or he died, but you get non satisfactory ending ala FE6 ....

then the ending will have infamous "i'll be back" while screen fades out

🏃‍♂️

Edited by joevar

It's possible to kill/not re-recruit Julia and re-recruiting her can be difficult if you don't know what you're doing. Soft-locking the game if you don't get her again is very punishing. However, I'm fine with Julia ripping through him because he isn't a very fun boss to fight otherwise. If he didn't have Nihil or Meteor than maybe he would be better but he does which doesn't help. Also, getting Julia and getting Naga for her is far from trivial, if it doesn't destroy the 1 enemy it will ever attack, what is the point of getting it? You should be rewarded with an easier boss fight and it's not like fighting bosses is particularly engaging in FE4.

2 hours ago, Stones said:

It's possible to kill/not re-recruit Julia and re-recruiting her can be difficult if you don't know what you're doing. Soft-locking the game if you don't get her again is very punishing. However, I'm fine with Julia ripping through him because he isn't a very fun boss to fight otherwise. If he didn't have Nihil or Meteor than maybe he would be better but he does which doesn't help. Also, getting Julia and getting Naga for her is far from trivial, if it doesn't destroy the 1 enemy it will ever attack, what is the point of getting it? You should be rewarded with an easier boss fight and it's not like fighting bosses is particularly engaging in FE4.

Yeah, I agree, Naga's fine. The boss fight itself is everything from taking out Ishtar onwards. The challenge is built into getting Julia and Naga, not in how OP Julius's stats are.

Unpopular and probably controversial opinions ahoy!

I think FE 4/5 would work as a combined game on a narrative level, which is what I'm mostly concerned with. Combining them would harken back to the generational Icelandic and Nordic sagas like the Volsung Saga (which FE 4 is based off of to some degree), and help encapsulate the scope of the story. 

I like the FEH OCs. I think their designs for the most part are pretty good, and I enjoy the variety that can be found within them. I'm also a fan of Kozaki's work in Awakening and Heroes. Fates is hit or miss, but overall the dude's a positive for me. This doesn't mean I want his art as the main direction on a new FE game. I think that each game or two should have a new art style, and I'm excited to see what comes next. (A whole game of remakes by Haimura Kiyotaka or Akira Egawa would be really cool to see.)

While I think Path of Radiance is one of the best - if not the best - Fire Emblem game, I don't actually like Tellius that much. I find it to be pretty overrated and the lack of actual supports in RD was a motivation killer for me. 

Child units aren't a bad idea, so long as they're implemented well and work with the story, and I would like to see them return again someday. Genealogy and Awakening did them right. Fates...not so much, to put it lightly. 

I believe that Priam is Ike's descendant (and that Ike was either pan or bi...although he also reads pretty Ace). 

On 12/5/2020 at 5:16 PM, OutcastsofRelix said:

I'd be mad if they removed the subs. Keep them as their own characters but either make them playable at the same time and revamp their classes. Also some subs like Lene/Laylea recruitement will need to be similar to Elffin and Larum, following the Arran and Samson archetype. 

oh, the kids definitely need to have different hair colours according to father, at least one of them and then the other always has the same hair colour as the mother.

also, the replacements need to stay. this isn't fateskening where you have all the time in the world to get your kids, and i don't see how they can change that without some absolutely unnecessary "chrom marries Nameless Maiden"-esque shenanigans. the replacements exist, some of them are actually sort of interesting, keep them!

On 12/8/2020 at 10:45 PM, Use the Falchion said:

I believe that Priam is Ike's descendant

Wait huh? Is this a debate or something? Doesn’t he very, very, VERY strongly imply this?

9 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Wait huh? Is this a debate or something? Doesn’t he very, very, VERY strongly imply this?

There's been debate for a while as to whether or not that is actually canon, or just fanservice on the part of the Awakening devs. Priam may say that he's Ike descendant, but it's iffy.

Just now, twilitfalchion said:

There's been debate for a while as to whether or not that is actually canon, or just fanservice on the part of the Awakening devs. Priam may say that he's Ike descendant, but it's iffy.

I..... what? I don’t think you can say “well the character said it but it might not be true” (paraphrased, obviously) without any specific reason why the character would lie.

I think it’s both canon and fan service, anyway like most of Awakening.

11 minutes ago, Sooks said:
13 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

I..... what? I don’t think you can say “well the character said it but it might not be true” (paraphrased, obviously) without any specific reason why the character would lie.

Let me clarify. My bad. I'm not saying that I personally think that. Just that it's been a point of contention among fans in the past.

58 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Let me clarify. My bad. I'm not saying that I personally think that. Just that it's been a point of contention among fans in the past.

Oh I wasn’t phrasing that at you, I was just responding to the point in question.

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

I think it’s both canon and fan service, anyway like most of Awakening.

A fair share of players read Ike as either gay or asexual. His only paired endings in RD are with Ranulf and Soren; he doesn't really show any interest in romance (most notably with Aimee hitting on him); Ike and Soren would be a fairly stereotypical gay pairing (the manly Ike and the more delicate Soren). This obviously isn't much of a proof against Priam's claims, but it makes it understandibly more difficult to accept Priam's claims at face value if you read Ike that way.

It's also worth noting that, given that Marth is considered Anri's descendant despite technically being his nephew, Priam could also be one of Mist's great-great-grandchildren, which adds another option to (a) Ike hooked up with a random village girl after leaving Tellius and (b) Priam is full of shit.

(My personal, probably very popular opinion is that Priam is just stupid and honestly didn't even deserve this much deliberation. I don't really care that much if it has any implications about Ike's sex life or not, but I really don't think that the added connection between Tellius and Awakenlandia is of any value. Best to ignore it and not pretend that it adds anything beyond an unmotivated reference to PoR/RD)

Edited by ping

2 minutes ago, ping said:

(My personal, probably very popular opinion is that Priam is just stupid and honestly didn't even deserve this much deliberation. I don't really care that much if it has any implications about Ike's sex life or not, but I really don't think that the added connection between Tellius and Awakenlandia is of any value. Best to ignore it and not pretend that it adds anything beyond an unmotivated reference to PoR/RD)

I agree with this and I still haven’t played Tellius.

3 minutes ago, ping said:

It's also worth noting that, given that Marth is considered Anri's descendant despite technically being his nephew

Wow that is just straight up not what the word means.

Could this be a translation error/change? Do we need people who know Japanese in here?

9 minutes ago, ping said:

but I really don't think that the added connection between Tellius and Awakenlandia is of any value. Best to ignore it and not pretend that it adds anything beyond an unmotivated reference to PoR/RD)

I'd say the same of Awakening and Fates. Chrom making one tiny reference to being aware of Fates in yore is just a repeat of his DLC babble from Awakening, and should not be taken the in the least bit seriously. Because, besides that quip, there is no connection, and if the connection is not "real, felt, affecting one or both of the worlds", it might as well not exist, so good riddance with it.

5 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Wow that is just straight up not what the word means.

Could this be a translation error/change? Do we need people who know Japanese in here?

https://kantopia.wordpress.com/2018/06/10/making-of-fe-does-page-81-confirm-priam-is-ikes-lineal-descendant-also-japanese-fe-fan-opinions/

And yes, it is possible to be a descendant, but not a direct descendant. I think the word to describe Marth in relation to Anri that he is a "collateral" descendant. Though I'm not versed in genealogical terminology.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

https://kantopia.wordpress.com/2018/06/10/making-of-fe-does-page-81-confirm-priam-is-ikes-lineal-descendant-also-japanese-fe-fan-opinions/

And yes, it is possible to be a descendant, but not a direct descendant. I think the word to describe Marth in relation to Anri that he is a "collateral" descendant. Though I'm not versed in genealogical terminology.

Neither am I apparently. I forgot that direct descendant is a term for a reason. Oops...

Edited by Sooks

my stance on priam has always been: you claim to descend from ike himself? show me the aether receipts. got none? didn't think so, you mythomaniac.

in all seriousness though, the team that decided to create priam as fanservice clearly isn't the same team that crafted ike's character as possibly gay/asexual in the tellius duology, so not much of a point to expect consistency there. i think this falls neatly into headcanon territory. i like to think priam descends from mist myself. team gay ships always.