Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Just now, Shrimperor said:

Yeah any anime onlies i recommend you to jump ships

JUMP AND GO TO A SAFE PLACE

I've not really looked at the talk anyways but yes:

Also, to every Trails fan, thanks, I've kinda gotten into Silver Will and I hate that it's tied to one series.

• Replies 176.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

17 minutes ago, Spara said:

You can't kill her as an enemy in that map. Literally. She has an immortality flag until she turns blue.

Oh.

Still pissed because I wanted Pisaro to take that arrow. But it's okay, everything ended well. He got captured, then we left. The last turns were rough, but I was able to kill both of the plain horse cavaliers and capture the bandit with the dark axe. Not too shabby.

Just now, Sooks said:

What’s SnK?

The Japanese abbreviation of Attack on Titan, Shingeki no Kyojin.

The ending just leaked and people have been freaking out about the mess. It's spread to here.

I appreciate the recommendations to drop it now, but tbh, I'll still watch it to the end, if for no other reason than I want to see everything that happens before the ending.

I've been given a fair warning, so any disappointment or annoyance I might experience is on me, lol.

29 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

I appreciate the recommendations to drop it now, but tbh, I'll still watch it to the end, if for no other reason than I want to see everything that happens before the ending.

I've been given a fair warning, so any disappointment or annoyance I might experience is on me, lol.

Don't do it, man.

32 minutes ago, Shrow said:

Alright so I'm hearing lots of bad about the manga but is the anime okay? I've also only watched season 1.
I'm curious to know what makes it so bad.

The same thing that made GoT's later seasons bad: dropped plot point and character assassinations.

Edited by Maof06

6 hours ago, Dayni said:

I would say FFT ends up worse imo but not what I want to focus on here

Agreed. I was exaggerating for the sake of verbal flair. Genealogy wanes softly, FFT's disintegration is harder.

6 hours ago, Dayni said:

but politics in storytelling in games really does not get utilised well,

I have to second this, politics are very rarely well done in games.

6 hours ago, Dayni said:

For a hypothetical FFT return, would you want it to be just a setting where you just take a guild around Ivalice and do whatever you decide out of what's available to you?

The main story is what, ~25 missions -some consisting of two battles- in both FFTAs? This, and yet there are... 300 missions total? Already, most of the game is optional stuff, doubling down on that and pouring quality into that is what I desire. -Or so I think, I don't know if I really know what I should want. 

As slow as it was and despite various other gameplay criticisms, I really did love FFTA, both games, back in the day.

2 hours ago, Dayni said:

Whatever his intentions of not trying to ruin these people's lives is ultimately immaterial because his actions demolish the lives they formed in Ivalice. Right or wrong, he returns the status quo. They may take the lessons from their experience in many different ways and I kinda wish there was more reference to how they had done at the start of FFTA2 beyond Mewt becoming a librarian who knows about the Grimoire.

TA2's ending is a giant retcon in its preservation of the grimoire world (well, maybe not entirely given the postgame judge missions where Marche becomes Judgemaster), but it would make Marche less of a problem if it were applied more thoroughly. Stating it that the TA1 main character could return if they so desired would be beneficial. Other than Doned for experiences of temporary liberation, it could easily be said that the others don't see the need to ever return because they've matured, and if they have done so, it's very infrequently.

As for Li-Grim Remedi, their want to keep everyone trapped in the grimoire would be simple- the main characters opened the book and made the world that is, the possibility that if they leave, the world ceases to be again is too much for the crystal lady to bear. And once one leaves, it's a slippery slope that the others might follow. The way to keep the world from collapsing is the desire of the heroes- they want to leave the world, but they don't dislike it and they don't want it gone. Li-Grim would be too panicked and all-controlling to recognize this, which results in their destruction, avoidable if they had been a more rational entity and had simply let people leave. 

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

4 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

Being on the edge, the challenge, the ''bullet hellness'', etc. is what makes em fun, especially with how the unique the boss fights are

On paper i agree. I mean, i'm a Gunvolt fan, so the bosses are like that (although being a Mega Man-esque game, the comparisons aren't the same).

What makes Ys Origin's bosses not work for me is that they lean too much in that direction. They hardly give you any time to breath because everything is constantly being thrown at you. At least with Yunica, the solution to everything was to just spam Fire Bird or whatever because it felt too risky to get close and that wasn't really fun.

Oh and of course, the way levels are handled is another issue.

4 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

I think you might like Ys Ark however, as you have access to health potions there, and well, it's also quite a bit slower than other Ys games. Personally it's my least fav. one, but you might enjoy it

I'm currently thinking about which Ys game i should go with next. I still haven't finished Ys 7 but that's because the 10,000 year-long boss fights are a motivation killer.

I hear Ys 8 and 9 are pretty good (but gotta wait for PC/Switch for the latter). Might give Ys Ark a try following your recommendation.

53 minutes ago, Dayni said:

The thread looking for anime original endings/rewriting their own and calling SnK/AoT's ending a mess:

Marching Season 4 GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Me, having not seen past S1:

https://i.redd.it/kc9o94ou6il11.jpg

Me, not caring about Attack on Titan, enjoying the shitshow that's going on

IMG_20210401_100859.jpg?width=995&height

48 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Also, to every Trails fan, thanks, I've kinda gotten into Silver Will and I hate that it's tied to one series.

Just play The Last Promise.

26 minutes ago, Sooks said:

What’s SnK?

The company that produces fighting games such as King of Fighters and Fatal Fury.

Jokes aside, as Twilit said, it's the abbreviation for Attack on Titan's Japanese name.

This comes up a pet peeve of mine where i don't understand why some non-Japanese people stick to the Japanese names when the official English names exist unless it's like, a light-novel title, then it makes sense why you aren't gonna call it by it's English name. 

• I am aware that lesser known shows are more known by their Japanese titles than their English ones.

8 minutes ago, Armagon said:

This comes up a pet peeve of mine where i don't understand why some non-Japanese people stick to the Japanese names when the official English names exist unless it's like, a light-novel title, then it makes sense why you aren't gonna call it by it's English name. 

That's because the name "Shingeki no Kyojin" is (or was, it doesn't matter anymore) an important plot point in the series.

Edited by Maof06

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

hear Ys 8 and 9 are pretty good

Ys 8 was almost my fav. game ever, and if it wasn't for the final Boss and ending i would've rated it a 10/10, the only game i would've ever given that.

It still got a 9/10 and is one of my top 10 games of all time. It's amazing in every way, well except the last 2 hours lol

YeD5I51.png

Ending and final boss battle + Track is what kept Ys 8 from getting All S

14 minutes ago, Maof06 said:

Don't do it, man.

Honestly, I hate it most for the long-time fans. Getting invested in something for years only for it to go to hell and a handbasket is awful.

Sorry to hear it for you all.

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

The company that produces fighting games such as King of Fighters and Fatal Fury.

Exactly what I think of when I see SnK.

---

Ys, eh? I still have yet to buy Origin. I had meant to a while back, but never got around to it. That or one of the other PC games, I guess.

Just now, Armagon said:

Just play The Last Promise.

I'd have to play the whole thing for that though.

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Stating it that the TA1 main character could return if they so desired would be beneficial. Other than Doned for experiences of temporary liberation, it could easily be said that the others don't see the need to ever return, and if they have done so, it's very infrequently.

Considering the point about Grimoire!Ivalice being an escapist realm, that seems to contradict the point of the main campaign. And like you said aside from Doned all of them should have development from their time to help them afterwards.

This wasn't what I'd considered for it, we do get some time in the prologue and epilogue of this game that it could be part of. But hey, I can take momentary glimpses are enough of a sign, don't be surprised I say that.

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

As for Li-Grim Remedi, their want to keep everyone trapped in the grimoire would be simple- they opened the book and made the world that is, the possibility that if they leave, the world ceases to be again is too much for the crystal lady to bear. And once one leaves, it's a slippery slope that the others might follow. The way to keep the world from collapsing is the desire of the heroes- they want to leave the world, but they don't dislike it and they don't want it gone. Li-Grim would be too panicked and all-controlling to recognize this.

Li-Grim is something I didn't get that much of an understanding of playing this ages ago, so in fairness I could definitely be missing things here. But am I misunderstanding that it also prevented them from leaving?

1 minute ago, twilitfalchion said:

Last Promise? It was pretty fun for the first few chapters. Didn't care for the ambush spawns though.

I still have no idea where you find ambush spawns in The Last Promise. I swear, I cannot remember any at any point.

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

I still have no idea where you find ambush spawns in The Last Promise. I swear, I cannot remember any at any point.

The town map early on. The bandits that come from the bottom of the screen are same-turn reinforcements.

1 minute ago, twilitfalchion said:

The town map early on. The bandits that come from the bottom of the screen are same-turn reinforcements.

Ohhhhhh. Yeah, that's probably it. By the time those idiots arrive I'm usually already all up in the boss's face, so they are never an issue. Still, yeah, not cool.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

16 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Honestly, I hate it most for the long-time fans. Getting invested in something for years only for it to go to hell and a handbasket is awful.

Not like this is the first series where this happens. I am used to it by this point...

😞

15 minutes ago, Maof06 said:

That's because the name "Shingeki no Kyojin" is (or was, it doesn't matter anymore) an important plot point in the series.

Ok but most people don't know that. Or rather, "Attack on Titan" is more familiar with the casual audience.

I think a better clarification to my original point is: i'm gonna go with what's usually most familiar in the language i'm speaking. I mean, i'm not gonna call Optimus Prime "Convoy" on account of me not being Japanese.

18 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Ending and final boss battle + Track is what kept Ys 8 from getting All S

Yeah, i do remember you complaining about the final boss theme haha.

15 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Sorry to hear it for you all.

Yeah, if i'm being real, that is an awful feeling.

But i will say i don't think it'd negate the fun you've had with it over the years. Shitty ends usually aren't a dealbreaker for me because of that reasoning.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

But i will say i don't think it'd negate the fun you've had with it over the years. Shitty ends usually aren't a dealbreaker for me because of that reasoning.

Depends on how bad it is. If it retroactively ruins it, then the fun i had feels worthless as well.

Example of an ending i hated however still loved the series: TWGOK. Ending was awful, but it only kinda ruins the last arc or feels incomplete, but i still had alot of fun.

AoT is going the way of ruining everything, even the journey. Because alot of the fun was me looking forward to what's coming

Edited by Shrimperor

33 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The main story is what, ~25 missions -some consisting of two battles- in both FFTAs? This, and yet there are... 300 missions total?

More than 300, the whole Judge sidequest doesnt count towards quests completed.