• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

30 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Apparently, the easiest route is... to attach PCSX2 to Steam??? 

Can Confirm this works perfectly with a PS4 controller at least, as that's how i play PCSX2. 

2 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

What is Mug and Mug+'s activation rate!? It almost never seems to activate!

Remember when I said Berwick does skills great about 80% of the time, and the other 20% are the few inconsequential proc skills?

Yeah, don't even bother. Mug is shit. Steal is completely reliable and Robbery, while not something you count on, happens often enough that it's nice for Axel to have. Gets you some free loot, it's neat. Mug, though? It's horrible. Even with the knife whose specific purpose is improving Mug's chance it's still horrible.

Incidentally, if you want to know the exact numbers for something, you can check most of the formulas ingame by reading the skill or stat's tooltip. Berwick is nice like that. In case you don't know, to view tooltips: while on the menu, press the same button you used to open the menu. Not familiar with PS buttons, so I can't tell you the exact symbol, sorry.

4 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Are PS2 games supposed to take 2-4 hours to download?

Would also depend on your connection speed but yeah, it takes a bit. PS2 games took me about 30 minutes to an hour to download.

2 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

I'm still wondering if Venom will show up (unless he's in the trailer and I just didn't notice), but he has his own film series now so him also appearing in this film might be redundant

Haha so funny story about Venom: Let there be Carnage

Spoiler

Post-credits scene is Venom getting sent to the MCU.

That said, that version of Venom is more anti-hero than villain so he may not be a villain.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Blue Electro kinda looks better?

He looks way worse in the actual film.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

New Electro is a guy in a generic mercenary outfit being struck by lightning

What's cool about it is i said before, he's forming the shape of his classic suit (this)

electro.gif

with lightning. It would've been neat if he actually wore the suit itself but i guess he isn't because he's supposed to be the same Electro from the TASM. No reason yet given why he's not blue tho.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Download for my first PS2 game (was going to be the second, but I felt like moving it up) is finished. It ran through the entire opening trailer, and the English is there. But emulators suck because it looks like I need to finagle through another step or two to get the PS3 controller connected. Apparently, the easiest route is... to attach PCSX2 to Steam??? I haven't made my account there yet, so might as well get that done. -Once my laptop is done recharging.

I'm guess you like to use actual controllers no matter what?

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

When playing a game that requires the control stick, a controller is much more comfortable than the keys. 

31 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

When playing a game that requires the control stick, a controller is much more comfortable than the keys. 

Most PS1 titles would be more used to the d-pad, so those tend to not work as well with the stick.

Not that I tended to have that issue.

There was also the period after Dualshock first came in where plenty of titles weren't optimised for it. Many of the games in that time give the option to use either version of the controller.

Related, someone else raised that the first PS1 controllers can still be plugged into the PS2. Some games even work!

1 hour ago, Dayni said:

Most PS1 titles would be more used to the d-pad, so those tend to not work as well with the stick.

Not that I tended to have that issue.

But he's running PCSX2, not EPSXE.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

I agree but it also just depends.

Huh, i play every game with the actual controller, feels weird otherwise.

I tried looking into Boot Camp, but then I learned I had to pay to use Windows. Or I think I do, at least. I don't feel like paying so much for something I won't use very often so I'll have to remain a humble Mac gamer for now.

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

Haha so funny story about Venom: Let there be Carnage

It would be neat of Tom Hardy's Venom showed up here, but it would be odd since he never interacted with any Spider-Man before (and thus wouldn't have any personal stake in the conflict). I think it's more likely that Spider-Man and Venom will get a crossover movie later. But who would they team up against? Carnage was used up already so it can't be him. Based on Batman v Superman and Godzilla vs. Kong, it would have to be a monster created from the remains of a previous extraterrestrial villain.

I expect the other Spider-Men to show up in the last ten minutes and get around five minutes of screentime, if we're lucky, but it seems the villains will get respectable screentime at least.

39 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

would be neat of Tom Hardy's Venom showed up here, but it would be odd since he never interacted with any Spider-Man before

Correct but money.

5 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Incidentally, if you want to know the exact numbers for something, you can check most of the formulas ingame by reading the skill or stat's tooltip. Berwick is nice like that. In case you don't know, to view tooltips: while on the menu, press the same button you used to open the menu. Not familiar with PS buttons, so I can't tell you the exact symbol, sorry.

Good news: Mug doesnt share its activation rate. Lame.

Wagering a guess? Its probably trash.

...I give up on the controller situation. I tried the Steam method and followed the steps... but the DualShock 3 never appeared in PCSX2, I haven't a clue what I did wrong. Nor have I much interest in finding out whatever drivers would fix the situation or how to add them to the emulator. Whats even stranger is that PCSX2 notices the DualShock 3 without Steam, but it isn't selectable for binding to the emulator controls.

I could try connecting my Switch's Pro Controller ...but I won't if it means having to re-sync it to the Switch every time I want to use it on that again.

Thanks to this mud wrestling with an invisible catfish the size of a tardigrade coated in artificial birthing agent, I'm not going to start the game tonight. I'll top off the battery in the morning and go in head deep tomorrow.

I'm going to assume by the wording that you're going to join the Endgame Beard family. I am happy.

Sorry, but wrongamundo

newsimage2469a.png

An SRPG, but not that one. 😜

Berwick is a little down the pipeline. Gotta go and return to my blissful childhood with a fresh coat of paint first. Which should be, oh, ~100 stages of varying lengths and challenge by the time I'm done. -Although I only intend to play roughly one-third of it for now.

Not to say I'm not looking forward to BS, I am. But it will be with a gentle and mature smile, not as a child on a processed sugar high as I'll be feeling tomorrow.

-I would've taken a screenshot of the above title screen myself, but despite having an option at the top called "Capture" and clicking on "screenshot", it didn't seem like PCSX2 took any picture at all. 😑 This is cumbersome.

Out of curiousity, what version of PCSX2 do you have?

The latest/the one they have readily on the site- 1.6.0.

On that note, PCSX2 isn't exactly a stellar emulator, it's just the only PS2 emulator that exists. Plugin based emulators tend to be a bit of a headache, it's not a common approach to making an emulator nowadays. For a plugin emulator, it's pretty good, but it can be annoying to set up.

You can't call it a bad emulator, when it's capable of playing 2688 titles, with 97% of them being nearly issue-free. Although only 22 titles perform flawlessly.

Alas, there is one title PCSX2 cannot play at all- a golfing game.

4 hours ago, Armagon said:

I've used the keyboard before, I've made it work, as unnatural as it is. But even if the game doesn't demand control stick usage or fluid control pad movement, a controller is so much more ergonomic. Keyboards will eventually give you carpal tunnel.

And in my case, my hands might be sensitive, because playing the first 7th Dragon on old Mac with the keyboard made my fingertips feel sore from pressing everything so much. In a way all my copious typing here on SF doesn't. I don't remember them being sore earlier than 7th D DS though, despite having gone through 7th Dragon 2020 and 2020-II (which were only mildly worse than the actual year was) and FEs 3-6 and TRS with varying amounts of keyboard usage (although I tried to use my controller when possible).

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I would've taken a screenshot of the above title screen myself, but despite having an option at the top called "Capture" and clicking on "screenshot", it didn't seem like PCSX2 took any picture at all. 😑 This is cumbersome.

You'll just have to use the Windows shortcut.

I have attained great velocity.

I don't often post videos from my Switch because it is quite a pain to do so, but I actually did something pretty cool on it for once!

I've been trying my hand at a little DS1 speedrunning, and, uh...

I did this. And I am very proud because it's frame-perfect. Even though it's technically not that hard to be Frame-perfect on 30 FPS.

Because, for some reason, if you do a random sequence of spells in this spot*, it just sends you to the final area of the game, meaning that you can just bypass the entire second half of the game, cutting the amount of mandatory bosses from 15 to 6.

*There's a lot more to how the glitch works and is executed, but it's too complicated for a noob such as myself to explain.

9 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

But he's running PCSX2, not EPSXE.

I was talking about PS1 titles being used with dualshock, which yes isn't relevant to PCSX2.

2 hours ago, Benice said:

I did this. And I am very proud because it's frame-perfect. Even though it's technically not that hard to be Frame-perfect on 30 FPS.

Because, for some reason, if you do a random sequence of spells in this spot*, it just sends you to the final area of the game, meaning that you can just bypass the entire second half of the game, cutting the amount of mandatory bosses from 15 to 6.

Was this in the original as well?

6 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The one exception requires a very specific peripheral

Cowards I say!

8 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

A true classic from before my time.

I especially loved how Pythagoras's theorem ended up blowing up multiple cities in agonised rage upon seeing Fermat's Last Theorm be demolished by the invaders.

Edited by Dayni

11 hours ago, Armagon said:

What's cool about it is i said before, he's forming the shape of his classic suit (this)

electro.gif

with lightning.

Right... Eh, I suppose at this point it's just my general distaste for superhero designs.

7 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

Good news: Mug doesnt share its activation rate. Lame.

Oh. I forgot it doesn't lol.

If you want to know the exact rate, Serenes says...

?%

Yep. It's just straight up unknown. Nobody fucking knows what Mug's proc rate is. People figured out that there's a 1/32768 chance to get one of seven possible items from opening two specific pieces of furniture, but they couldn't crack the Mug Mystery.

7 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

Wagering a guess? Its probably trash.

So it is. Six runs in, I think three of them in which I used Czene regularly, and I've must've seen Mug proc like, once per run. It's complete and utter garbage. Czene has her strengths, but stealing ain't one of them. Thaddy and even Axel are far better at it than her.

7 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

...I give up on the controller situation. I tried the Steam method and followed the steps... but the DualShock 3 never appeared in PCSX2, I haven't a clue what I did wrong. Nor have I much interest in finding out whatever drivers would fix the situation or how to add them to the emulator. Whats even stranger is that PCSX2 notices the DualShock 3 without Steam, but it isn't selectable for binding to the emulator controls.

I could try connecting my Switch's Pro Controller ...but I won't if it means having to re-sync it to the Switch every time I want to use it on that again.

Thanks to this mud wrestling with an invisible catfish the size of a tardigrade coated in artificial birthing agent, I'm not going to start the game tonight. I'll top off the battery in the morning and go in head deep tomorrow.

Ouch... Well, that sucks.

Sorry, but wrongamundo

newsimage2469a.png

An SRPG, but not that one. 😜

Damn you, Acacia...!

Berwick is a little down the pipeline. Gotta go and return to my blissful childhood with a fresh coat of paint first. Which should be, oh, ~100 stages of varying lengths and challenge by the time I'm done. -Although I only intend to play roughly one-third of it for now.

Not to say I'm not looking forward to BS, I am. But it will be with a gentle and mature smile, not as a child on a processed sugar high as I'll be feeling tomorrow.

Nah, it's okay. I totally get it. I hope you enjoy it!

-I would've taken a screenshot of the above title screen myself, but despite having an option at the top called "Capture" and clicking on "screenshot", it didn't seem like PCSX2 took any picture at all. 😑 This is cumbersome.

PCSX2's screenshot feature works perfectly. You might have just been unable to find where it put the screenshot. By default I think it is in a folder in Documents? There should be a menu option to check the directories for saves, screenshots, etc.

Yeah, go to config, Plugin/BIOS selector, and aside from the plugins and the BIOS, there should be a menu called "folders." Misleading naming, I know. It should be the same in 1.6.0, as I remember it being the same in 1.5.0 lol.

The latest/the one they have readily on the site- 1.6.0.

I thought so. PCSX2's site bombards you with its "stable releases", but they tend to be extremely outdated. For reference, I have a development build of 1.7.0 that works perfectly (at least with the one PS2 game I play). It is from April.

Honestly though, I don't think it matters that much. Back when I first downloaded the emulator it did, the difference between 1.4.0 and 1.5.0 was extreme, even while 1.5.0 was technically "unfinished." Ever since then, however, I've hardly ever updated this emulator. Might bother if I played more than a single game, but I already updated it once from 1.5.0 to 1.7.0 and it made exactly zero difference for Berwick. Then I tried updating again and it caused issues, so I decided, yeah you know what? I'm good with what I have.

You can't call it a bad emulator, when it's capable of playing 2688 titles, with 97% of them being nearly issue-free. Although only 22 titles perform flawlessly.

Oh I'm not saying it emulates bad, I'm referring to other aspects. Configuring it can be annoying.

Oof. That game looks fascinating, though...

3 hours ago, Benice said:

I have attained great velocity.

I don't often post videos from my Switch because it is quite a pain to do so, but I actually did something pretty cool on it for once!

I've been trying my hand at a little DS1 speedrunning, and, uh...

*There's a lot more to how the glitch works and is executed, but it's too complicated for a noob such as myself to explain.

Wow. That's... certainly a glitch.

Heck, it's not a glitch - it's a proper bug the size of a tarantula! How does that even happen lol...?

8 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Yeah, i tried PS3 as well and got nothing, and PS4 just works since it's compatible with Steam at base. If you already have one, i'd reccommend just using that, much easier.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

So it is. Six runs in, I think three of them in which I used Czene regularly, and I've must've seen Mug proc like, once per run. It's complete and utter garbage. Czene has her strengths, but stealing ain't one of them. Thaddy and even Axel are far better at it than her.

I guess after seeing what you could steal in Thracia the devs were like: "nah".