Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

5 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Curia/La Curia and status resit items are a thing.

Can't use these if i'm being sleep-locked.

Also i'm pretty sure one of them had Impede shit, because it was one of those "one boss is immune to physicals, the other is immune to Arts". But maybe i'm confusing that with the final boss of FC.

Point is, it was a very unfun boss for me the first time and even after that, i don't think highly of it.

11 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Elemental Values don't affect Arts, they are still done in the modern way.

They do however effect shard skills, whatever those are.

So basically Shard skills you get like classic arts, while Arts are still done modern way

This definitely feels like Falcom is trying to compromise. They're aware of the fanbase split so perhaps Kuro is them trying to find a middle ground to appease both.

Hey wait, that's exactly what they did with Fates oh no.

• Replies 176.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Just now, Armagon said:

Hey wait, that's exactly what they did with Fates oh no.

Fates made separate games for everyone, they didn’t try to mash everything onto one game, so this will be... interesting. Let’s see if I can play all of Trails quick enough.

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Let’s see if I can play all of Trails quick enough

Oh you've got time. The West is always at least one game behind.

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

They're aware of the fanbase split so perhaps Kuro is them trying to find a middle ground to appease both.

Yeah feels more like an insult lol

Oh well, if bonding is gone, Characters and gameplay are fun i can forgive that

And no Rean

3 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Let’s see if I can play all of Trails quick enough.

the game won't come over to the west until like 2023 or something lol, so you have alot of time.

Although spreadsheets will become available after like, 2 weeks after release lmao

Falcom games translation speed sucks ass. We're in 2021 not in 2006 to wait 2 years for a game. There's literally no excuse for us to wait that long, but people eat up everything anyway

Edited by Shrimperor

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Oh you've got time. The West is always at least one game behind.

Just now, Shrimperor said:

the game won't come over to the west until like 2023 or something lol, so you have alot of time.

You overestimate my power.

Although spreadsheets will become available after like, 2 weeks after release lmao

Spreadsheets of what?

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Falcom games translation speed sucks ass. We're in 2021 not in 2006 to wait 2 years for a game. There's literally no excuse for us to wait that long, but people eat up everything anyway

Blame Xseed, they love taking their sweet, sweet time.

It's why i'm like 80% sure we ain't getting Rune Factory 5 in the West this year.

Blame Xseed, they love taking their sweet, sweet time.

Xseed hasn't been translating the games since CS2, and yet we still have to wait 2 years

Ys 8, Ys 9, CS3/4/5.

All by Nisa, and still 2 years time

35 minutes ago, Armagon said:

( @DragonFlames knows exactly which one i'm talking about).

Now, to be perfectly honest, if it's the one I think of...

36 minutes ago, Armagon said:

being sleep-locked for an hour by two HP sponges

This sounds one HELL of a lot worse.

Because at least in VFD, you have options to circumvent most of the nastier status effects that boss can throw at you, most of all a Duelist in one or both back rows helps a ton (this is lifesaving to have for the entire lategame, btw), which can cure you of all status ailments.
And I wouldn't exactly call that specific boss a damage sponge either, to be honest.

Altenatively, you can cheese with Earthquake and Brave Blade... which works on pretty much everything, because Rune Knight and Banisher are OP as heck.

Or maybe I just got lucky, who knows?

For the record, I do agree that the massive amount of ailments that boss can throw at you are a bit excessive. But I'd say it's actually the next boss who is a lot worse about it, because of how annoying a status Charm is in this game.

Spoiler

You were talking about Hypnos, right? The one whose boss theme I really love?

Just to make sure. XD

44 minutes ago, Armagon said:

DragonFlames with the RF4 reaction pics? Based.

I was in the mood for the game today. Felt like doing something relaxing.
I really need to unlock the events that'll let my character marry Xiao Pai.

2 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

you have options to circumvent most of the nastier status effects that boss can throw at you

I mean, it's the same in Trails, and very easy at that.

3 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

And I wouldn't exactly call that specific boss a damage sponge either, to be honest.

That boss dies in like 8 hits, on hard.

So i dunno what Armagon is about when he says Sponges.

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

Xseed hasn't been translating the games since CS2, and yet we still have to wait 2 years

Ys 8, Ys 9, CS3/4/5.

All by Nisa, and still 2 years time

Ah, true.

Ok so Xseed sucks at localization speeds, what's NISA's rate?

1 minute ago, DragonFlames said:

You were talking about Hypnos, right? The one whose boss theme I really love?

Yeah, her.

It's been years so maybe it's not as bad but i still remember the tsunami of status effects like it was yesterday. Hoo boy.

I really need to unlock the events that'll let my character marry Xiao Pai.

Ah yeah, these are gonna be random lol. Both the pre-requisite event and the marriage event, the latter of which will only trigger once your relationship points with her hits 10 (assuming you've already started dating). You can savescum tho.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

what's NISA's rate?

Same speed as Xseed so far.

It's also a problem on Falcom's side bcause they refuse to let localizers work on the game until a few months after game release

It's also a problem on Falcom's side bcause they refuse to let localizers work on the game until a few months after game release

But... why?

4 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

I mean, it's the same in Trails, and very easy at that.

True.
While I didn't play Sky SC, status effects were never really a problem for me in the Trails games I have played.

4 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

That boss dies in like 8 hits, on hard.

Oh, okay! I did not know that, heh.

Just now, Armagon said:

Yeah, her.

It's been years so maybe it's not as bad but i still remember the tsunami of status effects like it was yesterday. Hoo boy.

Ah, then yeah. I can agree with you on some level, in that they were a bit excessive for the unsuspecting player, but again, backrow Duelist, Fortuner, ailment resist equipment (you get several to protect you against the nastiest status effects in the game, which do get common at this point),  or just plain cheesing it all work against her!

Regardless, when it comes to status effects, the game series that handled them the best was, bar none, Etrian Odyssey. Because of one tiny detail: they were useful for YOU, as well. Something almost every other JRPG I have ever played utterly lacked.
And let me tell you, it is very cathartic to lock down a hard boss with status effects, particularly when you had to deal with that shit yourself for years.

4 minutes ago, Sooks said:

But... why?

Falcom is an old japanese company....

They dislike change in how to run stuff, and rather play it safe. Especially after the PC marked bomb'd hard in japan while they were a PC developer first and foremost, and their old publisher cut them out because of that.

Edited by Shrimperor

Perhaps that also explains why they overuse certain tropes they seem to like so much.

The first two times the characters lampshaded the whole "Deus Ex Machina glory steal/enemy gets away" trope that absolutely killed CS2 and 3 for me in Sky FC were cute.
And then they just went and did it again. And then again. And then again. And then Chapter 1 ended.
After that I said "nope. Not dealing with this crap anymore", and said goodbye to Trails.

I'm sorry.

3 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Oh i was gonna exclusively blame the localizers but nvm i guess.

So Xseed and NISA suck at localizing games in a timely matter and it isn't helped by Falcom's stubbornness. 

Regardless, when it comes to status effects, the game series that handled them the best was, bar none, Etrian Odyssey. Because of one tiny detail: they were useful for YOU, as well. Something almost every other JRPG I have ever played utterly lacked.

Yeah, turn-based JRPGs are cowards when it comes to this.

I think the only other game that has useful status effects are the SMT games. If only because i always hear "SMT teaches you when to buff/debuff" and i do recall that being useful when i played TMS.

But other than that, lol.

Deus Ex Machina glory steal/enemy gets away

IT'S NOT EVEN MY FINAL FORM 

-CS 1 to 5

Final form in sucking, that is

Edited by Shrimperor

I think the only other game that has useful status effects are the SMT games. If only because i always hear "SMT teaches you when to buff/debuff" and i do recall that being useful when i played TMS.

Buffs and debuffs are king in SMT, yeah.
Status effects are iffy, since many enemies pack immunities to them. In the Devil Survivor games, though, they are filed under the "Curse" element (basically a Dark element), an element that also has attack skills, so it is considered a normal attack of that element, meaning you can use ailments against anything that doesn't Null or Repel Curse attacks.

And it's glorious. xD

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

But other than that, lol.

Best way to put it. XD

IT'S NOT EVEN MY FINAL FORM 

-CS 1 to 5

Like Estelle puts it:

U9aBxXn.png

So much so it even bothers me in other games and series nowadays. Even the ones that use it sparingly.

So much so it even bothers me in other games and series nowadays. Even the ones that use it sparingly.

Yeah same lmao. I get CS PTSD

Imagine having to get saved in the freaking final dungeon.

Thatr stuff imprints the soul

Also i just had to physically stop myself from getting into a Trails fight on leddit so i might be a bit cranky and rant a bit more

1 minute ago, DragonFlames said:

Buffs and debuffs are king in SMT, yeah.

And they actually stick around too. In most games, bosses will be debuffed for like one turn which, depending on the game, means nothing.

Yeah same lmao. I get CS PTSD

Imagine having to get saved in the freaking final dungeon.

Thatr stuff imprints the soul

Yup!

Or imagine completing a really stupid chase sequence only to find out that who you're chasing
a) gets caught anyway
b) gets caugh by someone other than you regardless of whether or not you succeed

It's the kind of stuff that really makes me ask "why the heck do I bother playing this, anyway?"

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

Also i just had to physically stop myself from getting into a Trails fight on leddit so i might be a bit cranky and rant a bit more

It's okay! I should prolly stop triggering your PTSD, too.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

And they actually stick around too. In most games, bosses will be debuffed for like one turn which, depending on the game, means nothing.

Indeed.

Although SMTIV has an interesting mechanic where, if you debuff the boss/buff yourself all the way (I think it's four times, but I'm not sure), the late game bosses will just delete all buffs and debuffs, so you have to be smart about using them, too.