Rate the Unit, Day 26: Tormod

Dat Rules (stolen/borrowed from Integrity)

- Ratings are assumed to be on Hard Mode+Fixed Mode.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly.

- Numerical votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Make it easy to calculate for my sake.

- Every ranking phase ends whenever I get out of bed, between 0700 and 0800 EST. Do the math for your timezone, Brits.

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- "Recruits X" or "takes you to X chapter" arguments are explicitly banned. C'mon, people, this shouldn't need to be a rule. That's not gameplay performance.

- Assume that the character in question is being recruited.

- Similar to the "Recruits X" rule, do not use "she brings a Knight Ward to the team " or any other justification as an argument.

- BEXP is free to be used in any quantity on any character.

- Rating a unit too low because you think its overrated will make me throw away your vote without mercy public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif.

- I withhold the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise.

Averages:

Rolf: 1.15

Sothe: 2.03

Brom: 2.32

Shinon: 3.00

Volke : 4.82

Ilyana: 4.98

Soren: 5.15

Rhys: 5.31

Gatrie: 5.46

Mia: 5.71

Mist: 6.41

Mordecai: 6.55

Makalov: 6.59

Zihark: 6.65

Lethe: 6.75

Nephenee: 6.79

Stefan: 7.40

Astrid: 7.76

Boyd: 8.29

Ike: 8.57

Oscar: 9.08

Kieran: 9.23

Jill: 9.31

Marcia: 9.36

Titania: 9.91

Have fun, Boron.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

*eagerly awaits Boron*

Tormod, the leader of the Laguz Emancipation Army. Muarim raised him.

Pros:

Celerity.

Pretty good growths all round.

Has better defense than the other mages. (i think)

Funny supports.

Cons:

:huh:

Comes at like, level 5. Unpromoted.

Joins late in comparison to his level.

Really....Tormod is a good unit. He really is. Problem is, he comes at SUCH a low level and doesnt have the boon of Paragon on his side. That hurts. Bad. Cuz in the beginning, hes super squishy and not killing a lot. He does have awesome move due to Celerity and his growths are nice. If he manages to promote, he can use staves and that plus his move means he can heal pretty well. Getting him to promotion? Oi...Honestlyyy....You wanna talk about dumping BEXP. He joins late too. (for his base level) His magic stat will not quite be like Soren's but Tormod is really no slouch there. Hes got decent speed when promoted too.

Really, hes pretty awesome to have around but, he requires a lot of love, BEXP, and handholding before he gets to the point of TORMOD WIN.

5.5/10. 6.5/10 bias because Tormod win.

Tormod :wub:

I really like this guy, but I refuse to be biased so I'm going to give him a score that I feel is justified.

First of all, I'm going to talk about his problems. The biggest one is that he joins late, and is rather underleveled. He is level 7 at a time when people are going to be close to promoting. He requires BEXP to get up to speed (although at this point, there shouldn't be any other characters who require tons of BEXP to function). As a mage, he has low base HP, defense, and growths in both. He's squishy.

However, he has a really big advantage over other foot units: +2 move. He can reach combat faster than any other foot unit. He hits resistance instead of defense and has constant 1-2 range, so that's a plus. If raised, he turns out more durable than the other two mages. He can also use staves like all the mages can once they promote, unlike Calil and Bastian. His affinity gives attack, and all of his supports (except Sothe and Calil) are fire so he gains additional attack if he supports any of them. Devdan might likely not be used, but Reyson is most definitely going to be used. Overall, Tormod is a pretty cool guy who delivers, but requires a lot of BEXP to do so.

6.5/10. I docked off points for availability, underleveledness, and requiring BEXP to get anywhere fast. But I feel that he takes resources at a time when your other units aren't as desperate for them, and his +2 move, hitting resistance, constant 1-2 range, potential for staves, and siege tome use make him very useful.

Edit: Just noticed this:

Have fun, Boron.

Ahahahaha. XD

Edited by Jihyun

8/10

Probably one of the best utility units out there, because of the abundance of BEXP and the fact that he is an 8-move siege user with the best defense (he gets 3HKO'd instead of 2HKO'd, which is actually a very large improvement) of all of the siege tome users. His strength means he barely gets weighed down, and he has the magic and supports to make a difference. The fact that he has Reyson support helps his cause tremendously, and his siege tomes are almost necessary to shave off certain turns because they are often times a bit more reliable in accuracy than other units attacking. All in all, a very solid unit, and perhaps one of the most underrated units in this game.

Edited by Lord Raven

8/10 because long range magic and celerity work together very well, and it makes some of the later maps easier! Also supports with Reyson for more attack.

Edited by Refa

8/10

All in all, a very solid unit, and perhaps one of the most underrated units in this game.

Don't worry, I think you've compensated enough by overrating him.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but your ratings indicate that Tormod is significantly more valuable than Astrid and Makalov and approximately as valuable as Kieran. Ridiculous.

8 move

Fast

Has decent durability(compared to the other 2 earlier ones)

Healing at 8 move with good offense, and is better than Mist at promotion.

(Except for having problems getting a high staff rank.)

But 8 fucking move.

Allowing you to catch up with the mounts!

And having good combat and durability equal to like-an SM?

Also, he arrives right after a bexp windfall, and right before promotion of many units!

So, he can take a dump to get into lvl 15-17, max might thunder forges, and maybe a draco/robe.

Easily fe9s best Magic user.

And, while Mist beats his staff rank and support list, her promoted offense is crappy without the magic swords.

Which many want.

8/10 for being the first non-Emo/Fetish material Tellius mage.

An Est done right.

Fuck, I mean, Nino doesn't have 8 move , and the other Ests bring little to none to the table.

And Sophia could learn a lot from Tormod, have good growths, decent con, and 8 fucking move.

I'd love him even better if he came earlier or was prepromoted with his 20/1 bases.

Don't worry, I think you've compensated enough by overrating him.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but your ratings indicate that Tormod is significantly more valuable than Astrid and Makalov and approximately as valuable as Kieran. Ridiculous.

yep, you're right

because they are largely redundant, and tormod is not

And having good combat and durability equal to like-an SM?

Among Swordmasters, only Lucia has durability as poor as Tormod. Zihark is considerably more durable than Tormod, even if you discount his supports.

yep, you're right

because they are largely redundant, and tormod is not

Do you disagree that Makalov can make a greater contribution towards completing the game than Tormod?

Pros:

+Celerity gives him great mov

+Can use staves on promote

+Less squishy than other mages

Cons:

-Comes in underleveled.

-Fire is alright but not as good as Thunder. Fixed by forging tomes, but if you want Meteor, you'll be locked into fire for at least one weapon rank.

Tormod is at least better than Ilyana even if Ilyana got the best of the magic triangle. I'm kind of partial to Soren's massive magic growth and baked-in Adept, but Tormod makes his way into combat much faster and is a better unit to handle siege tomes. However, I feel that even with all of Tormod's benefits, he really is underleveled when he joins, and thus stands out as being quite unattractive. As for staff utility, Rhys (only with a physic, he can't keep up without it), Mist and Elincia are basically good enough to handle things, though if you aren't using Soren or Illyana (and you could certainly do without them), Tormod is not bad filler if you want to pump some bexp into him. I just have so much favouritism towards Soren for the extra content in RD, so Tormod gets a little neglected despite having stronger utility over his fellow mages.

I'll give him 6.5/10 for being a good unit if you want to expend the effort into leveling him up, but with 4 other mages/sages in the game, with 2 of them at least not being worthless, you won't feel bad if you give him a miss.

I find it a little ironic that Tormod uses fire magic when he's paired up with a bunch of beast laguz in the desert.

Edit: Lowered the score a little in light of the fact that I really do hate his base level considering his join time when a lot of other units are gearing up to promote soon.

Edited by Samias

Sure he can get good with a little love, bonus EXP funneling, etc. But that does not justify his base stats upon his joining time. He should support with Calill, his teacher though however. Using staves, unlike Calill gives him a plus, but not much. At least he's alot more useful in this game, unlike RD.

NM

5.5/10

HM

4.5/10

Edited by リンダ

...really?

He's getting mostly sixes and eights? Why?

He's worth a 5 at most.

he has 8 move and thus he doesnt have the mage/sage problem of not being able to keep up. Sure he's the most balanced mage that isn't Calill or Bastian but srsly, he joins halfway through the game at level 8 with bases only minimally better than a certain early game unit called Soren. and I'm not even bringing weapon levels into this.

And now his growths themselves. Sure they're pretty good but not great, even kinda average for this game, and his balancedness means he does less damage than say, Soren, while still not being able to take significantly more hits because their HP is similar to each others and he only ends up with a 5 def lead at best. All the while various other people have bitched about Soren's durability.

So what does this make Tormod? For starters, an enormous BEXP burn because there's no way he would be worth a deployment slot without getting BEXPED at least till 20/1. And sure, this game has a lot of BEXP for you, if you take your time to play efficiently, but there are other more better candidates for BEXP. Like Mist, Rhys, Soren, Ike, Marcia and Jill.

5/10 with -1 bias to slightly correct for various other people horridly overrating him. so 4/10

Edited by Daigoji Excellen

idk, most of my opinions are generated by his value in my own efficiency run lol

i had a lot of BEXP going into every single paladin, ike, boyd, the fliers, etc, and i had plenty for tormod

THE TIMES THEY ARE A-CHANGING

Edited by Lord Raven

yes i actually do on account of being redundant and barely capable of doing anything because everyone else steals his kills first

You misunderstand. My question was specifically phrased to avoid the matter of redundancy. Ignoring that other units can also do what they do: Do you disagree that Makalov can make a greater contribution towards completing the game than Tormod?

4/10. While he has Celerity, which I'd consider helpful, it's too bad that his coming underleveled means the damage is already done IMO.

Edited by Metal King Slime

re-read my first four words

Fascinating. Do you disagree that, putting aside siege tome utility, Makalov dominates Tormod as a combat unit? Makalov's offense is at least as good, his durability is much, much better, and he has +1 mov and canto. And Tormod has no availability advantage. So in every chapter where siege tome utility is irrelevant, Makalov is the greater contributor. Am I correct so far?

Tormod can be pretty effective, but even with the boost Celerity gives him, it takes a good amount of effort to put him into action. He comes at level 7 with bases similar to Ilyana's when she joined... 7 chapters ago (comparing them offensively, he has 2 more base MAG, one less SKL, and equal SPD; defensively, he has 2 more LCK, 1 more DEF, and 1 less RES). His growths are fairly good; 45% MAG and 45% SPD means he can improve pretty quickly with some BEXP.

But it's the question of how MUCH BEXP. At LV7, it will probably take a 5-level-minimum boost to make him even somewhat comparable to the competition he'll be facing. That's 500 BEXP down the drain. To make him comparable to your party, you're going to have shoot him high into Tier 1 levels, perhaps even 20/1 depend on how much training and BEXP everyone has gotten. Let's figure this as 1000+ BEXP. Even if you've been playing pretty efficiently... ow. It is a pro for him that his 8 MOV keeps him up with the rest of your party despite a lack of Canto, but he's a back-line attacker, so. Also, he can use staves upon promotion; despite a starting D-rank, it's still something. However, he takes a LOT of BEXP to go up to speed with the rest of your party in levels, and even if Soren is a bit difficult to train at first, at least it's moderately easy to do that in the earlygame with easy enemies. A good amount of the time, I prefer that to the BEXP burn that Tormod is, since they end up fairly similar anyways.

5.5/10

Edited by Cosmic_Harold