Rate the Unit, Day 12: Machua

Mikado

Dat Rules (stolen/borrowed from Integrity, which where then copied from the FE10 ratings)

- Ratings are assumed to be on Normal Mode.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly.

- Numerical votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Make it easy to calculate for my sake.

- Every ranking phase ends whenever I get home from school, between 1500 and 1600 EST.

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- "Recruits X" or "takes you to X chapter" arguments are explicitly banned. C'mon, people, this shouldn't need to be a rule. That's not gameplay performance.

- Assume that the character in question is being recruited.

- Similar to the "Recruits X" rule, do not use "she brings a warp staff" or any other justification as an argument.

- Rating a unit too low because you think its overrated will make me throw away your vote without mercy.

- I withhold the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise.

- Scrolls do have impact on a unit's rating. Though they are counted as a seperate point, but no more than +/-1. So that means one point for bias and one for scrolls!

- Warp skipping has an impact on scores in so far as "Safy has an high base staff rank". Nanna would score lower than Safy because of her lower rank, but no chapter is explicitly said to be skipped. You can't get Warp and then suddenly say every character after doesn't exist or requires turns to recruit. Something could be said of Xavier, or Conomore/Amalda who are in an escape chapter where Leaf starts next to the escape point.

Ronan: 2.42

Marty: 2.89

Tanya: 3.82

Evayl: 5.02

Halvan: 7.35

Dagda: 7.54

Rifis: 7.70

Leaf: 8.18

Othin: 8.86

Fin: 9.06

Safy: 9.48

She starts out weak but turns out to be a solid unit. Sure she has a decent strength growth and she takes awhile to master axes, but she will always do her best to get the job done. Also giving her continue with her ambush is a nice combo for her.

8/10

Great Pursuit Co-Effeciant. (Crit after every second strike) Especially in the early game chapters makes rasing her a little easier. She is difficult to raise for awhile, but giving her Hezel and Fala should get her to grow more Str. She'll need it in the long run. I'd say Baldo too, but you need it to give to someone else to keep them from getting critted. Her weapon level goes really slow. She will need Continue to help her in the long run along with her enemy phase devastating skill, Ambush. If your planning to give Continue to someone else, then she should get Killing Edges, or the Brave Sword as her Con is very good. Especially for a female. :awesome: After class change, that's when she will start to shine big time. So.....

7.8/10

Edited by リズ

An all-around solid, but not exceptional unit. One of your more reliable units for Manster. Unfortunately, there are lots of unmounted sword + axe users that are just generally more useful than she is, which makes it hard to justify using her in the long term.

6.5/10

Solid combat in a period that needs solid combat units.

No epic durability, like Brighton.

No becoming the Terminator, like Fergus.

No 1-2 OP Range, like Asvel.

No PRF 1-2 range sword.

IMO, as average as can be, but gets points for helping out in ***Ing ch4.

7/10 for that.

For the Manster arc, Machua isn't doing too bad. Her speed allows her to double extremely often and her PCC of 3 makes her get criticals often, which is great because her strength is rather low. She's also a footsolider in a team composed mostly of mounted units, meaning she gets to keep up with Leaf and Asvel much easier. She's fairly average defensively, but Ambush can help in a pinch when a wounded Soldier would attack her. Still, 24 HP/4 Def bases with low growths isn't doing her a lot of good. Her dodge is higher than most, but it's rather unreliable and she loses a few points if she wants a stronger weapon. She also has the benefit of supporting Brighton, and he sure as hell likes some accuracy and avoid.

After a decent performance in Manster, she suddenly starts to slow down. Mounted units gain the movement advantage she held over them for 3 chapters as old and new faces appear for competition. Machua is sadly nothing special since she's not quite the best at using the valuable 1-2 range swords while she also has movement problems throughout the game since she promotes to Mercenary instead of Swordmaster, remaining at 6 movement. Then you notice your new units pack a lot more bite than her. While 3 PCC is a positive, 4 base strength with a 30% growth is nothing too great since strength is much harder to correct than either skill or speed.

In short, ok when forced, but loses steam quite fast as better options are available outside of Manster.

6/10.

Machua takes a bit to raise, as when she joins in Manster she's pretty frail and she has to rely a lot more on dodging than defending. However, once she gets a few levels she becomes a really solid unit that can stand for herself. Bonus points for being the only female unit in the game that can wield axes on promotion, and when she hits that promotion she's pretty great, having great offense, dodge, and a high PCC, she'll be doing a lot of kills. Some other units may outclass her, but she won't be a burden if you decide to use her.

8 + 1 bias = 9/10

Machua takes a bit to raise, as when she joins in Manster she's pretty frail and she has to rely a lot more on dodging than defending. However, once she gets a few levels she becomes a really solid unit that can stand for herself. Bonus points for being the only female unit in the game that can wield axes on promotion,

Not admissible, being female has no effect on her gameplay performance.

I like Machua, even though she's not amazing. Her Manster chapters are her best, and while there's only a few of them, boy does she shine. She will eventually lose out to characters like Shiva and even Mareeta, though, due to her lower build and Strength. Oh well. 7/10.

I like Dio's rating, but I think I'm going to drop her to a 5/10 for lacking a lot after Manster is practically over. I guess it's cool that she can get Hand Axes on promotion... but... she has a slew of issues to getting there. At least Ambush kind of helps her durability woe. Slightly.

Handaxes aren't particularly good in this game, as magic swords are generally better. I get that there are more of them, but if you're using Machua, you might as well throw a Magic Sword on her when the situation calls for it.

Her performance in the hardest part of the game is exemplary; for that alone, she's getting a lot of credit. After Manster, though... she's kind of mediocre. Her physical parameters are subpar, and her skills don't really make up for it. If PCC activated when using Ambush, she'd suddenly be a lot better. She's an alright reserve unit, though.

6/10

Going with Dio's rating, but 7/10 for being my favourite character therefore getting all my favouritsm therefore becoming my best unit too. So that's a +1 bias on his 6.

Edited by Fat Bunny

I guess it's cool that she can get Hand Axes on promotion...

Even worse. She needs 50 swings since it's D ranked.

If PCC activated when using Ambush, she'd suddenly be a lot better.

PCC does activate with Ambush, though it's still the second hit so she has the possibility of getting hit.

Bad wording. I meant if PCC activated with the same conditions as Ambush, (which I thought it did when I first heard about it) instead of on the Pursuit hit.