Pre Banner Discussion Thread: Child Banner 2024

So, they're really gonna go with Frederick on this Young banner after passing up both Seth and Titania for Magvel and Tellius?

Anyway, I'll just be in the corner, crying about the lack of SoV.

12 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

We have the silhouettes and they are almost certainly Lissa (left silhouette) and Frederick (right silhouette). 

SoV Kids are just never gonna happen, folks. IS isn't capable of giving an entire Special Heroes banner to Valentia. It just can't be done.

SoV already got a full Valentine's banner to itself. Getting an anniversary one is just a matter of time.

Assuming the game stays running for long enough, that is.

2 minutes ago, Othin said:

SoV already got a full Valentine's banner to itself. Getting an anniversary one is just a matter of time.

Oops, then let me amend what I said to "it just can't be done twice" because it's pretty clear at this point that IS regrets making that banner.

After all, SoV has gotten a grand total of......six seasonal units (and that includes Hatari Deen and Spring Luthier, who are TT units) since the 2020 Day of Devotion banner. 

1 hour ago, Othin said:

Assuming they don't do a TMS or Heroes child banner (though they might for the latter, young Bruno Askr royal friendship is an idea that's been dangled since year 1), that means the game must run another seven years (excluding this year) before they're forced to give us a SoV child banner...plus or minus any games that might get released in that time. Of course, there are some things going in Shadows of Valentia's favour. The first is that it's still a lot more popular than Genealogy or Thracia, who I'd personally love to see a child banner of, but it probably won't happen. The other thing is that Engage can't sensibly have Alear in a young heroes banner since they're so much older than all the other characters. Though it's possible they could just give us an Alearless banner or throw logic to the wind and just time travel it all. But assuming SoV has priority over those three titles (and that were getting Awakening this year) that just puts Fates, Three Houses and the two Elibe games in the way of SoV. So there's a reasonable, though not gauranteed, chance to see it in the next five years.

Edited by Jotari

6 hours ago, Jotari said:

Assuming they don't do a TMS or Heroes child banner (though they might for the latter, young Bruno Askr royal friendship is an idea that's been dangled since year 1), that means the game must run another seven years (excluding this year) before they're forced to give us a SoV child banner...plus or minus any games that might get released in that time. Of course, there are some things going in Shadows of Valentia's favour. The first is that it's still a lot more popular than Genealogy or Thracia, who I'd personally love to see a child banner of, but it probably won't happen. The other thing is that Engage can't sensibly have Alear in a young heroes banner since they're so much older than all the other characters. Though it's possible they could just give us an Alearless banner or throw logic to the wind and just time travel it all. But assuming SoV has priority over those three titles (and that were getting Awakening this year) that just puts Fates, Three Houses and the two Elibe games in the way of SoV. So there's a reasonable, though not gauranteed, chance to see it in the next five years.

We already got FE7, but also I don't think time travel to include Alear would be too strange. Radiant Dawn is also a possibility, although not necessarily a more likely one than SoV.

7 minutes ago, Othin said:

We already got FE7,

Oh, yeah, of course. That's where we got our first proper Marc artwork.

8 minutes ago, Othin said:

Radiant Dawn is also a possibility, although not necessarily a more likely one than SoV.

Who would feature in a Radiant Dawn banner though? They've done Ike, so the obvious lead to focus on is Micaiah, but if you're going to have Micaiah then you're going to need Sothe...but young Sothe is already a regular character in Path of Radiance (of course Young Ike and Mist were genuine characters in Radiant Dawn who were categorized as Path of Radiance characters in Heroes, more reason that splitting those two games was a poor decision). I suppose they could to a Dawn Brigade banner but without Sothe, or one but with an obviously younger Sothe than Path of Radiance, but it'd be kind of weird one way or another, especially gvien we haven't even gotten any of the non lead Dawn Brigade members yet.

4 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Oh, yeah, of course. That's where we got our first proper Marc artwork.

Who would feature in a Radiant Dawn banner though? They've done Ike, so the obvious lead to focus on is Micaiah, but if you're going to have Micaiah then you're going to need Sothe...but young Sothe is already a regular character in Path of Radiance (of course Young Ike and Mist were genuine characters in Radiant Dawn who were categorized as Path of Radiance characters in Heroes, more reason that splitting those two games was a poor decision). I suppose they could to a Dawn Brigade banner but without Sothe, or one but with an obviously younger Sothe than Path of Radiance, but it'd be kind of weird one way or another, especially gvien we haven't even gotten any of the non lead Dawn Brigade members yet.

We haven't gotten Young Sothe yet in the first place, but yeah Anniversary Sothe would probably be Younger Sothe. FE9 Sothe seems older than most anniversary characters.

Boyd also shows that there's an opportunity to round out these banners with earlygame group members who haven't gotten into the game normally yet. They could also use characters like Sanaki, Pelleas, Elincia... I think they could make it work if they wanted to.

52 minutes ago, Othin said:

We haven't gotten Young Sothe yet in the first place, but yeah Anniversary Sothe would probably be Younger Sothe. FE9 Sothe seems older than most anniversary characters.

Boyd also shows that there's an opportunity to round out these banners with earlygame group members who haven't gotten into the game normally yet. They could also use characters like Sanaki, Pelleas, Elincia... I think they could make it work if they wanted to.

Sanaki is even worse than Sothe, given she's still only PoR Sothe's age in Radiant Dawn and a good deal younger before that. It's not that these characters but younger couldn't be done, anything can be done, but it wouldn't quite have the same impact as another character unless they could have a decently interesting angle to pitch it from. Sanaki in particular would benefit a lot more from the opposite banner, an aged up banner, given she already has concept art for an adult version. Pelleas we have some knowledge of his backstory, so there definitely could be something interesting there in the vein of young Soren, only I'm not sure Pelleas is really a popular enough character for him to really be a selling point. And, finally, a young Micaiah would also run into a young Alear issue in that it's a plot point she ages slower. A preteen Micaiah means an outright baby Sothe, Edward and Leo (though not Nolan, funnily enough, who would also certainly be the Dawn Brigade member ignored in such a banner).

Course...just plain ignoring all that canon and giving us kid versions with no semblance of logic is entirely possible. They did ignore Minerva's pegasus which had been mentioned in one game, outright seen in another (which meant specifically making a Pegasus Knight class for her) and featured on a Cipher Card, all because, idk they wanted to use the word dragon on her axe or something.

Given how baby Lissa is basically confirmed we can say the same of baby Chrom, and while not as likely baby Maribelle is at least a possibility. 

I wonder where Frederick fits in. He's not all that old, but the age difference between him and the lord siblings seems large enough that even aged down he'd be too old for a baby banner. 

At least Chrom shouldn't be the Duo Hero, since he already has a Duo Alt. It could be Young Robin though.

I can't wait for another Rally Spectrum unit...

I expect Frederick to be the 4* special or the grail unit.

Just now, Diovani Bressan said:

At least Chrom shouldn't be the Duo Hero, since he already has a Duo Alt. It could be Young Robin though.

He can still get a Duo alt if he's the backpack. With Emmeryn in front, for example. Duo Lyon showed IS isn't above putting the more popular character in the back if they need to (at long last). Granted Lyon completed the pattern of FE8 duo units that way, but it'd be weird to have Lissa and Frederick here without Chrom, so I think him being here is inevitable: we just need to see how.

2 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

I expect Frederick to be the 4* special or the grail unit.

I think he's going to be the Grail unit too, which is a shame. I think it'd be nice for him to get a busted kit - or at least something good enough to be the 4* focus.

33 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

Introduce Robin's mother! Introduce Robin's mother! Duo Robin and Mrs Validar!

Oh, I hadn't seen the silhouettes yet, but I just skimmed some chatter here about it (looks like Lissa and Frederick, but isn't he, like, a lot older than the Ylissian royalty? Wouldn't he be more of a teenager when they were kids?) Anyway, Chrom, Lissa, and Emmeryn have canon child designs, I think, so it would make sense to take advantage of those. If Frederick's on there too, then we're just missing 1 more character. I'd say it's for sure Robin (I'm legit curious about what little Robin would look like) but there's only 1 slot remaining and IS likes using both avatars when they're present (even if they split them up...unless they go with hooded androgynous Robin (like what they did with Mark) and slap him/her on a duo with kid Chrom.)

That would be too bad, really. Awakening, more than any of the other titles, had the potential to mix generations as children. Like, Gen1 kids and Gen2 kids being friends, not realizing that they're related, putting the focus on the bond rather than the family role... That would have just been the sweetest thing.

Edit: @Jotari

I FLIPPIN' WISH! (But not on this banner.) I've been curious about her since I first played through Awakening!

Edited by Mercakete

Lucina doesn't have a duo yet. Maybe put her with Owain? Or Robin M+F, like the Winter Byleths.

3 hours ago, Diovani Bressan said:

Watch them be assholes and give us Duo F!Robin & Chrom. I really wouldn’t put that idea past IS.

3 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

I think he's going to be the Grail unit too, which is a shame. I think it'd be nice for him to get a busted kit - or at least something good enough to be the 4* focus.

Given that this the kid banner, Frederick should at least get a Prf weapon regardless of where he ends up.

It should be a good Prf weapon too with how good most of the recent GHBs (aka any of them dating back to Cyril who aren’t Castor or Marla) have been.

7 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

He can still get a Duo alt if he's the backpack.

Yes, Chrom being the backpack is totally possible. We had others examples of that being a thing in the past, like Female Byleth being both the leading unit (Summer alt) and the back unit (Winter), Male Byleth too (leading in Winter, back in Halloween) and also we have the Magvel Triforce of Eirika, Ephraim and Lyon where all 3 were both leading and back units with each other.

4 hours ago, Tybrosion said:

Watch them be assholes and give us Duo F!Robin & Chrom. I really wouldn’t put that idea past IS.

I can easily see that happening, for sure!

7 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Female Robin/Chrom Duo, Male Robin, Lissa, Emmeryn as the demote, Frederick as the TT+. That feels like a safe prediction and I wouldn't be surprised to see it.

Perfectly nailed it, 100%. Congrats!

16 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

Perfectly nailed it, 100%. Congrats!

Thanks! I think I nailed it 99%, thought. I got all of the characters correct, and Frederick as the TT+ correct, but it was Lissa who was the demote instead of Emmeryn.

On 4/5/2024 at 2:16 AM, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Thanks! I think I nailed it 99%, thought. I got all of the characters correct, and Frederick as the TT+ correct, but it was Lissa who was the demote instead of Emmeryn.

My bad, I overlooked that. But hey, that's still a great prediction!