New Heroes & Attuned Azura

10 hours ago, Diovani Bressan said:

Just remember that non Rearmed/Attuned Dancers cannot use Mercy-Wing Echo with their personal dance skill (Legendary Azura cannot run Gray Waves+ alongside an Echo skill).

Overall the banner is a skip to me, but some nice Heroes there. I liked Yukimaru's Drive 30% Null DR.

Wait, does that include the basic Sing/Dance skills as well, or just the upgraded ones? The basic ones are still technically personal skills, so if they're incompatible as well, that's quite a limitation.

3 hours ago, Jotari said:

My view would be the it depends on the banner. Fates is in the moderate position of remaining characters, so if we got one less tragedy it wouldn't be a tragedy. And if it happened again in SoV or Awakening then it's a bit embarrassing as they're clearly grasping. But doing it for Archanea, Tellius or a Jugdral game is a bit ridiculous when they have dozens of characters left compared to other games. They should be throwing the minor characters at us.

I don't think it depends. Doing it for any game slows down our pace of wrapping up that game's cast and booting it from the New Heroes rotation to open up more spots for other games. Losing a new character is losing a new character, no matter which game they're from.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, Othin said:

Wait, does that include the basic Sing/Dance skills as well, or just the upgraded ones? The basic ones are still technically personal skills, so if they're incompatible as well, that's quite a limitation.

I don't think it depends. Doing it for any game slows down our pace of wrapping up that game's cast and booting it from the New Heroes rotation to open up more spots for other games. Losing a new character is losing a new character, no matter which game they're from.

I don't think they'll boot any game from the New Heroes rotation. I personally wouldn't mind if they did, as I'm more inclined to Archanea, Jugdral and Tellius as a fan, but I don't reasonably expect them to abandon the other titles once they're complete, especially since they're some of the more popular titles in the franchise.

On that subject, next month will be our Fallen Heroes banner. After that, the games that have gone longest without a banner are Tellius, Sacred Stones and Fodlan, so we can expect one of them with a reasonable degree of certainty. Sacred Stones and Fodlan are sitting at 8 and 12 remaining playable characters each, so it'll be interesting to see what they do with either of them should they show up (Fodlan, at least, has the advantage most other games don't in that they can literally give us the entire playable cast three times over in different costumes).

Edited by Jotari

21 minutes ago, Othin said:

The skills Sing, Dance, and Play are specifically excluded from the restriction and can be used with Arcane weapons and Echo skills.

Rearmed and Attuned Heroes are also fully immune to restrictions on both Arcane weapons and Echo skills (e.g. Rearmed Chrom can still equip Fate Unchanged... even if he has Arcane Eljudnir and Death Blow Echo equipped).

Edited by Ice Dragon

9 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I don't think they'll boot any game from the New Heroes rotation. I personally wouldn't mind if they did, as I'm more inclined to Archanea, Jugdral and Tellius as a fan, but I don't reasonably expect them to abandon the other titles once they're complete, especially since they're some of the more popular titles in the franchise.

On that subject, next month will be our Fallen Heroes banner. After that, the games that have gone longest without a banner are Tellius, Sacred Stones and Fodlan, so we can expect one of them with a reasonable degree of certainty. Sacred Stones and Fodlan are sitting at 8 and 12 remaining playable characters each, so it'll be interesting to see what they do with either of them should they show up (Fodlan, at least, has the advantage most other games don't in that they can literally give us the entire playable cast three times over in different costumes).

Booting games from the New Heroes rotation does not imply abandoning them, it means not throwing away entire New Heroes banners on games that are out of new heroes. There are plenty of other banners where they can feature alts of units from those games.

Introducing those sorts of regular alt banners for completed games just to keep them in the New Heroes rotation would be absurd and unprecedented. Which isn't a guarantee that they won't do it, but there's no more reason to expect it than any other strange way they might hypothetically screw things up. For now, we should default to expecting that it won't happen.

16 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

The skills Sing, Dance, and Play are specifically excluded from the restriction and can be used with Arcane weapons and Echo skills.

Rearmed and Attuned Heroes are also fully immune to restrictions on both Arcane weapons and Echo skills (e.g. Rearmed Chrom can still equip Fate Unchanged... even if he has Arcane Eljudnir and Death Blow Echo equipped).

Interesting. I wonder which relevant dancers would be willing to give up their personal skills for WoM, or other Attuned skills.

With Mozu, my favorite characters from each game all now have at least 1 version in FEH. Now my most-wanted character would probably be Volug, who legit may never get in unless he gets a lucky seasonal, but I can live with that.

Seeing another super premium Azura after bumbling around with my OG 4*+10 Olivia for the Kvasir/Gullveig LHB makes me sad. 😞

1 hour ago, Othin said:

Booting games from the New Heroes rotation does not imply abandoning them, it means not throwing away entire New Heroes banners on games that are out of new heroes. There are plenty of other banners where they can feature alts of units from those games.

Introducing those sorts of regular alt banners for completed games just to keep them in the New Heroes rotation would be absurd and unprecedented. Which isn't a guarantee that they won't do it, but there's no more reason to expect it than any other strange way they might hypothetically screw things up. For now, we should default to expecting that it won't happen.

Interesting. I wonder which relevant dancers would be willing to give up their personal skills for WoM, or other Attuned skills.

Anything they do for a completed game is going to be unprecedented. We won't get to see what they do until they do it (if they get a chance). But what I don't think they'll do is give fewer Awakening banners per cycle.

Yukimura got in!  I am really surprised about him getting in and as a *5 at that.  I am amazed Scarlet and Shura aren't here, but that shouldn't surprise me since IS loves leaving people out who really should be in (Elphin) among others.  Still I am skipping since Fallen will be next and those units are always busted.

3 hours ago, Humanoid said:

Seeing another super premium Azura after bumbling around with my OG 4*+10 Olivia for the Kvasir/Gullveig LHB makes me sad. 😞

July 20th, 2018. That was the last FEH gave Olivia an alt. That was so long ago that Frederick now has many alts (2) as Olivia.

It sucks, but Fates and Blazing Blade really benefited from having a dancer among its main characters. Pretty much ever other title in FEH besides FEH itself has a pretty bad and/or limited selection of dancers / refreshers.

48 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

July 20th, 2018. That was the last FEH gave Olivia an alt. That was so long ago that Frederick now has many alts (2) as Olivia.

It sucks, but Fates and Blazing Blade really benefited from having a dancer among its main characters. Pretty much ever other title in FEH besides FEH itself has a pretty bad and/or limited selection of dancers / refreshers.

I honestly really hate the way dancers are distributed in this game, tbh.

Heroes, FE7, and Fates get all the amazing premium dancers because of the fairies, Ninian, and Azura. Who yes, are important, but it certainly doesn't help me with limited battles that aren't one of those games.

3H is pretty well off on dancers because Dorothea's later two alts are at least good. Genealogy/Thracia doesn't really have a single standout dancer like Ninian and Azura, but the sheer quantity of dancers is a lot. (They also have Duo Sigurd.) PoR shares Harmonic Azura at least, but RD only has the herons and the very old Hoshidan Festival Micaiah and Elincia. SoV only has the rather old Soiree Berkut and Rinea. Binding Blade has the two Larums (neither of whom have a prf) and Sacred Stones only has Tethys. Awakening has four very old dancers, the most recent of which is that flying Olivia who is also the only one with a prf, and I swear Archanea still only has Phina. EDIT: Oh, and Engage only has Harvest Seadall.

The distribution of dancers is plain embarrassing.

Edited by Sunwoo

3 hours ago, Sunwoo said:

3H is pretty well off on dancers because Dorothea's later two alts are at least good.

Honestly, I'd argue that 3H isn't in that great of a spot either when all three Dorotheas are seasonal-only (and none of them are 4 star focus ones either). And while Plegia and Winter do have Prf weapons, they do not have a Prf dance skill so they aren't quite equal to the more recent alts of Azura and Ninian.

7 hours ago, Jotari said:

Anything they do for a completed game is going to be unprecedented. We won't get to see what they do until they do it (if they get a chance). But what I don't think they'll do is give fewer Awakening banners per cycle.

There is precedent for having games not get banners on consistent cycles. It took years before they started having a rough cycle, TMS has never been part of the cycle, and there's various points of weirdness within the cycles like Tellius games sharing a single slot and recent games appearing more often. So there would be no conflicts with precedent in removing a game from the New Heroes cycle.

1 hour ago, Othin said:

There is precedent for having games not get banners on consistent cycles. It took years before they started having a rough cycle, TMS has never been part of the cycle, and there's various points of weirdness within the cycles like Tellius games sharing a single slot and recent games appearing more often. So there would be no conflicts with precedent in removing a game from the New Heroes cycle.

None of that is from a game literally running out of characters. Even TMS, as relatively small a cast as it is, hasn't stopped getting banners because it's been exhausted. It's stopped getting banners either because of legal issues or because it was only a cash grab tie in with a new release at the time that they never intended to take seriously. We have no titles where the playable and major NPCs cast are all in the game. And if or when we get to that point, I don't see them completely dropping one of their more profitable titles to make room for their less profitable titles. At best we'll see them become slightly rarer (which is what they should have been doing for years now).

Edited by Jotari

30 minutes ago, Jotari said:

None of that is from a game literally running out of characters. Even TMS, as relatively small a cast as it is, hasn't stopped getting banners because it's been exhausted. It's stopped getting banners either because of legal issues or because it was only a cash grab tie in with a new release at the time that they never intended to take seriously. We have no titles where the playable and major NPCs cast are all in the game. And if or when we get to that point, I don't see them completely dropping one of their more profitable titles to make room for their less profitable titles. At best we'll see them become slightly rarer (which is what they should have been doing for years now).

Again, excluding a title from standard New Heroes banners which it no longer has the material for is not dropping the title as a whole. It's still eligible for seasonals, legendary/mythic/emblem banners, Fallen/CYL, and anything else they might come up with. If they care that much, they can turn up its presence in those, such as giving it regular seasonal banners to itself.

Edited by Othin

11 hours ago, Florete said:

With Mozu, my favorite characters from each game all now have at least 1 version in FEH. Now my most-wanted character would probably be Volug, who legit may never get in unless he gets a lucky seasonal, but I can live with that.

I'm starting to get there, but in fairness a decent number of my favorites were shoo-ins. Not counting the main lords/protagonists, characters like Nils, Joshua, Caeda, Finn, and Marianne were always getting in. Gregor had to wait a pretty long time, though, and I'm still waiting on Brom. Actually, I think Brom might be the last one I'm waiting on.

1 hour ago, Othin said:

Again, excluding a title from standard New Heroes banners which it no longer has the material for is not dropping the title as a whole. It's still eligible for seasonals, legendary/mythic/emblem banners, Fallen/CYL, and anything else they might come up with. If they care that much, they can turn up its presence in those, such as giving it regular seasonal banners to itself.

And might very well be eligible for monthly New Heroes Banners. Oh they might rename it something else like "Renewed Heroes" or "Revisited Heroes" or something, but they really have little to no motivation to stop doing the regular monthly banner thing for games that sell. It's abundantly clear that getting all of the playable characters in the game long term is not their priority. What they want is to sell banners each month, now, for money. Consider this, the game runs for another five years. In that time Valentia, Blazing Blade, Sacred Stones, Awakening, Fates and Fodlan are all finished and Binding Blade only has one banner left. Are they really going to give us a five month rotation of Archanea, Genealogy, Thracia, Tellius and Engage? I'd love it they would, don't get be wrong, but no. They are not going to give us four Jugdral New Heroes banners in one year, ever. But what if they do, fewer games means the banners will reduce faster. Right now a game gets about 8 new characters every three years. If we're down to a six month banner rotation because games are finished then we're at a place where suddenly games are getting the, if not more, in a single year. They go through every game that's present and then a new title is released. Would they give us that singular game every single month for New Heroes? And just deny the new release seasonals or mythics or legendaries entirely because all those slots now have to be filled up to cater to the completed backlog? It's just not feasible. Of course it's unlikely the game will last another ten years, player numbers are dropping and the game will probably shut down within the next five or so. And until then they'll do what they've been doing since the start. They'll shill alts. It's what they've always done. It's why we now have these attuned and rearmed and whatever the flavour of the month gimmick hero is.  Nothing about the philosophy of how they've marketed this game suggests they'll do anything other than shill alts the game finally finishes.

7 hours ago, Jotari said:

And might very well be eligible for monthly New Heroes Banners. Oh they might rename it something else like "Renewed Heroes" or "Revisited Heroes" or something, but they really have little to no motivation to stop doing the regular monthly banner thing for games that sell. It's abundantly clear that getting all of the playable characters in the game long term is not their priority. What they want is to sell banners each month, now, for money. Consider this, the game runs for another five years. In that time Valentia, Blazing Blade, Sacred Stones, Awakening, Fates and Fodlan are all finished and Binding Blade only has one banner left. Are they really going to give us a five month rotation of Archanea, Genealogy, Thracia, Tellius and Engage? I'd love it they would, don't get be wrong, but no. They are not going to give us four Jugdral New Heroes banners in one year, ever. But what if they do, fewer games means the banners will reduce faster. Right now a game gets about 8 new characters every three years. If we're down to a six month banner rotation because games are finished then we're at a place where suddenly games are getting the, if not more, in a single year. They go through every game that's present and then a new title is released. Would they give us that singular game every single month for New Heroes? And just deny the new release seasonals or mythics or legendaries entirely because all those slots now have to be filled up to cater to the completed backlog? It's just not feasible. Of course it's unlikely the game will last another ten years, player numbers are dropping and the game will probably shut down within the next five or so. And until then they'll do what they've been doing since the start. They'll shill alts. It's what they've always done. It's why we now have these attuned and rearmed and whatever the flavour of the month gimmick hero is.  Nothing about the philosophy of how they've marketed this game suggests they'll do anything other than shill alts the game finally finishes.

You know, thinking about it more, we're both wrong. There is, in fact, a precise precedent for the type of banner you're proposing. The banner that was their attempt to try going deeper than ever on alts of popular characters, that was so hated that they haven't done anything like it in the five years since then.

What you're proposing is a regular return of Adrift.

As for your schedule, I'm not sure why you're so concerned about a situation that you already acknowledged the game probably won't last long enough to reach in the first place. Even if it does last another five years, we'll most likely have another game by then, so a more plausible yearly rotation would be something like Archanea x2, Genealogy x1, Thracia x1, Radiance x1, Dawn x1, Engage x2, New x2. That's perfectly reasonable.

And if they do want to dip somewhat into that space for new alt banners, there are less extreme solutions than giving every completed game an alt banner on every cycle. I think last time we had this argument, I proposed a banner of all Ascended/Rearmed/Attuned/etc Heroes from a mix of completed games. By the time we have seven completed games, we could do two of those per year rather than needing a whopping seven Adrift banners per cycle. That would also help take some of the pressure off the seasonal/elemental banners - which are not as desperate for the help as you suggest. Over the course of a typical year, seasonal+legendary+emblem banners together contribute over 90 units! Guaranteeing a minimum of five slots per completed game per year would still leave plenty of room for other flexibility with those slots.

36 minutes ago, Othin said:

You know, thinking about it more, we're both wrong. There is, in fact, a precise precedent for the type of banner you're proposing. The banner that was their attempt to try going deeper than ever on alts of popular characters, that was so hated that they haven't done anything like it in the five years since then.

What you're proposing is a regular return of Adrift.

As for your schedule, I'm not sure why you're so concerned about a situation that you already acknowledged the game probably won't last long enough to reach in the first place. Even if it does last another five years, we'll most likely have another game by then, so a more plausible yearly rotation would be something like Archanea x2, Genealogy x1, Thracia x1, Radiance x1, Dawn x1, Engage x2, New x2. That's perfectly reasonable.

And if they do want to dip somewhat into that space for new alt banners, there are less extreme solutions than giving every completed game an alt banner on every cycle. I think last time we had this argument, I proposed a banner of all Ascended/Rearmed/Attuned/etc Heroes from a mix of completed games. By the time we have seven completed games, we could do two of those per year rather than needing a whopping seven Adrift banners per cycle. That would also help take some of the pressure off the seasonal/elemental banners - which are not as desperate for the help as you suggest. Over the course of a typical year, seasonal+legendary+emblem banners together contribute over 90 units! Guaranteeing a minimum of five slots per completed game per year would still leave plenty of room for other flexibility with those slots.

Well I can say that I hope you're right. I don't want them to give us full alt banners. I would much prefer it be as you say. It's just not at all what I expect.

I'd also dispute that adrift is really what I'm claiming. Adrift was its own thing. More like a seasonal on a main heroes banner, not really taking anything from the game outside the vaguest sense. I've already said they can cycle three different outfits for Fodlan characters. For Sacred Stones and Awakening the first tier units have alternate promotion options to make use of. And Shadows of Valentia has Overclasses to make use of.

Another Dancer/Singer! Nice!

On 4/13/2024 at 8:50 PM, Diovani Bressan said:

Just remember that non Rearmed/Attuned Dancers cannot use Mercy-Wing Echo with their personal dance skill (Legendary Azura cannot run Gray Waves+ alongside an Echo skill).

Oof! That is a sobering reminder. At least it helps reduce the gap a bit between old Dancers/Singers and new ones.

On 4/14/2024 at 7:35 AM, Othin said:

I do not think the B slot is competitive enough yet to warrant Wings of Mercy on the X slot. I think [exclusive Dance/Sing (Assist)+Wings of Mercy (B)] is better than [Dance/Sing (Assist)+Dance (B)+Wings of Mercy (X)].

The main issue with Dance (B) is that the exclusive Dance/Sing and C skills are better at giving bonus buffs and status effects, and Desperation as an effect is absolutely critical for nukes who rely on it to use it. Offloading Desperation to a support unit can create issues, such as when a turn starts and a nuke needs to make an attack, but it does not make sense for a nuke to waste an action to do nothing, just so the Dancer/Singer can Dance/Sing the nuke just to provide Desperation.

And for nukes who are not reliant Desperation, you cannot really use them with Wings of Mercy anyways.

Edited by XRay

well the tickets were really good to me on this banner, I ended up with A!Elincia, Flayn and the new Azura all new to me.  I hope my luck holds for the fallen banner.

22 hours ago, Tybrosion said:

Honestly, I'd argue that 3H isn't in that great of a spot either when all three Dorotheas are seasonal-only (and none of them are 4 star focus ones either). And while Plegia and Winter do have Prf weapons, they do not have a Prf dance skill so they aren't quite equal to the more recent alts of Azura and Ninian.

I agree it's not amazing, but 3H is probably still slightly better off than some of the other games like Binding Blade and SoV, especially since Winter Dorothea was at least on a sparkable seasonal banner.

They should also let other units besides Dorothea be a dancer, since it wasn't locked to her by canon in 3H anyway.

6 hours ago, XRay said:

I do not think the B slot is competitive enough yet to warrant Wings of Mercy on the X slot. I think [exclusive Dance/Sing (Assist)+Wings of Mercy (B)] is better than [Dance/Sing (Assist)+Dance (B)+Wings of Mercy (X)].

The main issue with Dance (B) is that the exclusive Dance/Sing and C skills are better at giving bonus buffs and status effects, and Desperation as an effect is absolutely critical for nukes who rely on it to use it. Offloading Desperation to a support unit can create issues, such as when a turn starts and a nuke needs to make an attack, but it does not make sense for a nuke to waste an action to do nothing, just so the Dancer/Singer can Dance/Sing the nuke just to provide Desperation.

And for nukes who are not reliant Desperation, you cannot really use them with Wings of Mercy anyways.

Desperation has been an outdated skill for a long time now. Damage reduction effects are good enough that most units can rely on that instead and run a B skill that deals more damage or grants more mobility.

Desperation itself has the issue that you can't use the opponent's counterattack to charge a stronger Special, which is a problem now that we have premium Specials with higher cooldowns that can't be activated when running Desperation without at least 2 sources of Special acceleration.

If you're in a situation where you actually need Desperation, you're better off using a unit that already has it on their weapon than to waste the B or Sacred Seal slot on Desperation. Desperation is a purely defensive effect, which means it has a particularly high opportunity cost in both the B and Sacred Seal slots.

On 4/14/2024 at 9:35 AM, Othin said:

The only ones I can really see giving up their exclusive dance skills are the fairies that still have the original versions of their dance skills. The recently released stronger versions (only relevant on Spring Mirabilis since the other 3 are Rearmed or Attuned) and the remixed versions are all strong enough that losing them is not worth running Mercy-Wing Echo. The original skills, though, have effects that can be made up for with modern support skills.

Gray Waves and Call to Flame are not worth giving up because sources of +1 movement are not well distributed, and the inheritable sources of the effect don't have tier-4 versions yet and have significant competition in their skill slot. Similarly, the Galeforce effect on Dragon's Dance is way too valuable to give up.

All that said, we have other teleportation skills now with more lenient conditions, so I'm still not terribly convinced of Mercy-Wing Echo's value on units with exclusive dance skills.

17 hours ago, XRay said:

Another Dancer/Singer! Nice!

Oof! That is a sobering reminder. At least it helps reduce the gap a bit between old Dancers/Singers and new ones.

The only case I can see being worthy to run Mercy-Wing Echo on a dancer with prf dance is if you plan to run the "Pass 3 + Mercy-Wing" combo to allow your dancer to warp into a Warp Bubble area, since Pass allows your unit to ignore Gatekeeper/Myrrh/Valentine Myrrh's effect.

But even that, it is kinda niche, and I would only see it on the Mythic Dancers in AR. In Arena, it doesn't have much use.

23 hours ago, Jotari said:

Well I can say that I hope you're right. I don't want them to give us full alt banners. I would much prefer it be as you say. It's just not at all what I expect.

I'd also dispute that adrift is really what I'm claiming. Adrift was its own thing. More like a seasonal on a main heroes banner, not really taking anything from the game outside the vaguest sense. I've already said they can cycle three different outfits for Fodlan characters. For Sacred Stones and Awakening the first tier units have alternate promotion options to make use of. And Shadows of Valentia has Overclasses to make use of.

I mean, that is the sort of thing they've been doing for Ascended/Rearmed/Attuned Heroes. But if they planned to have games like Awakening and SOV switch their New Heroes characters entirely to those types of alts, I'd think they'd be doing more to ease them into it by now. Like, if we started going back to getting those sorts of alts as normal heroes on a banner, or as a GHB, that would be telling. But we really haven't done that sort of thing in a while - the closest recent thing was SOV's pegasus knights, but it never started taking the same approach for Valentia-exclusive characters after trapping up the trio. The best precedent for banners where the banner units are primarily or exclusively alts are the recent SOV+Heroes banner and CYL, but those were multi-game banners that still have new GHB units. (SOV+Heroes was multi-game in a way that other banners with guest OCs haven't been, in that it gave Forging Bonds slots to the Heroes units rather than having a full lineup of SOV units.)

That's why I think those are the best model for banners that would seek to offer more of those sorts of alts for completed games: occasional banners where the rare units are Asecended/Rearmed/Attuned/etc alts from a mix of games, while GHBs and any demotes are new units from any game. Doesn't that seem both more in keeping with current precedent and less likely to result in backlash than having every cycle offer a full alt banner for every completed game?

10 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

The only ones I can really see giving up their exclusive dance skills are the fairies that still have the original versions of their dance skills. The recently released stronger versions (only relevant on Spring Mirabilis since the other 3 are Rearmed or Attuned) and the remixed versions are all strong enough that losing them is not worth running Mercy-Wing Echo. The original skills, though, have effects that can be made up for with modern support skills.

Gray Waves and Call to Flame are not worth giving up because sources of +1 movement are not well distributed, and the inheritable sources of the effect don't have tier-4 versions yet and have significant competition in their skill slot. Similarly, the Galeforce effect on Dragon's Dance is way too valuable to give up.

All that said, we have other teleportation skills now with more lenient conditions, so I'm still not terribly convinced of Mercy-Wing Echo's value on units with exclusive dance skills.

That makes sense.