Special Heroes: Brides to Be

1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

This time around Sharena has her revenge by locking Alfonse in the basement. 

Prince Alfonse will wait patiently for his revenge, but only for three months. After that, he will begin his assault.

Meme aside, it actually would be pretty funny if CYL Alfonse ends up being a hard counter to Bridal Sharena & Veronica.

34 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

Prince Alfonse will wait patiently for his revenge, but only for three months. After that, he will begin his assault.

Meme aside, it actually would be pretty funny if CYL Alfonse ends up being a hard counter to Bridal Sharena & Veronica.

Or we get groom Alfonse + Bruno next year, in a "oh yeah, you got another alt and took my sister with you instead of me? Then I'm marrying your brother as revenge!" sort of way.

If we ever do get Bruno+Alfonse as grooms, then Bruno will have to be the lead since Alfonse already led one.

Unless Alfonse gets "main character privileges" and gets to lead a second time, but that'd require breaking established patterns. (No, Lif doesn't count because he and Alfonse are called different things.)

Posted (edited)

Nel: *shows up*

Me: Who?

I figured it out a little before she transformed, but yeah, she's an Engage DLC person. Man I need to finish that game someday. (No spoilers please.)

Anyway, Embla's line about being summoned just to suffer was hilarious and well-acted. XD I'm annoyed that Alcryst is our ONLY groom but eh. Also, the Askr+Embla plushes are adorable. Glad they brought those back as a reference to that one movie with Veronica and Sharena having them at that tea party. Still, this banner's character choices feel kinda...slapped together? Feels weird. The Sharena+Veronica for this banner was a weird choice, too. And IS continues to ignore Bruno, being satisfied to have just made him into a bunny that one time.

Also, I guess the weird feather belt things are back. Does IS think that that's a common style for wedding dresses or something?

Edit:

Wow. I didn't expect to get summoning canon out of this. According to Nel, whatever you're summoned in is what you're wearing forever. (That is, you can't take off the outfit, even if you try.)

Also, okay, the story between Sharena and Veronica was sweet. 🙂 It's cool how Henriette and Alfonse were there, too, just not in costume - just like how Sharena was there for the Valentine's event, but didn't dress up. (However, Veronica was in both. So, not quite a mirror event.)

Edited by Mercakete

6 hours ago, Mercakete said:

Wow. I didn't expect to get summoning canon out of this. According to Nel, whatever you're summoned in is what you're wearing forever. (That is, you can't take off the outfit, even if you try.)

Oh, they actually addressed that? Personally, I long already took it for granted that they couldn't change outfits. Though if it's true that they can't take them off once they wear them and get summoned, period, then it creates a funny image if it means they must also sleep in them, etc. XD

7 hours ago, Mercakete said:

Here's the quote for those curious. It's hilarious that this is canon now. Poor Seasonals!

Also, the TT+ story is Askr sweet talking to Embla, which I love oh so very much. I admit I'm tempted to pull for Bridal Embla just for the hilarity of the concept, but I got a 4* Nel within 100 Orbs. I don't want to spoil one of my luckiest summoning sessions in recent memory 😕

Man, they can't just drop that and then not elaborate further. Like, how does it work? They can't change at all, or it only works if they must sleep, bathe, etc? Which also means then they're compelled to put the same outfit back on instead of something else (the Summoning Contracts already forces them to do or not do certain stuff, after all)? I remember one of the previous Summer banners stating the heroes bought swimsuits from one of the Anna merchants and put them on, but then Nel's summoning line implies the wedding dress materialized on her rather than she putting it on. But then this same banner has Sharena and Veronica likely willingly changing (then again, as Heroes-native characters, they likely don't follow the same rules).

As a fanfic writer...

I Don't Need Sleep I Need Answers | Know Your Meme

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Mercakete said:

Nel: *shows up*

Me: Who?

I figured it out a little before she transformed, but yeah, she's an Engage DLC person. Man I need to finish that game someday. (No spoilers please.)

Anyway, Embla's line about being summoned just to suffer was hilarious and well-acted. XD I'm annoyed that Alcryst is our ONLY groom but eh. Also, the Askr+Embla plushes are adorable. Glad they brought those back as a reference to that one movie with Veronica and Sharena having them at that tea party. Still, this banner's character choices feel kinda...slapped together? Feels weird. The Sharena+Veronica for this banner was a weird choice, too. And IS continues to ignore Bruno, being satisfied to have just made him into a bunny that one time.

Also, I guess the weird feather belt things are back. Does IS think that that's a common style for wedding dresses or something?

Edit:

Also, okay, the story between Sharena and Veronica was sweet. 🙂 It's cool how Henriette and Alfonse were there, too, just not in costume - just like how Sharena was there for the Valentine's event, but didn't dress up. (However, Veronica was in both. So, not quite a mirror event.)

They also made that christmas Bruno alt right at the end if book VI and had a sorta corny plot of him acting like Santa in secret to avoid being seen by Alfonse and Sharena or something like this. He was the TT+, of course. Felt like they were trying to "honor" him in some way but did it on the worst way possible since most people that die on the story mode get and actual alt (or at least New Year) and not a shitty christmas alt that is a TT+ with no prf...

I liked Embla's lines too, she's one of the best people they could've added to this banner. @Etrurian emperor suggested Vaida (scaring off every groom) yesterday on the Pre Banner Discussion and she's one of the few people that could be funnier than a bride Embla, from now on I'll start to wait for her on each bridal banner.

I'm not the biggest fan of the feather belt too, I think they just put this when they don't know what to add to the dress (or maybe the specific artists that still do it like it, in case they have liberty to choose the designs too) since it was a thing from Awakening's bride dresses.

About them not being able to switch clothes, I always thought that it was as if they (not dressed up yet) were sent to go to the silly festivals by us, I mean... Surely Embla wasn't just trying a wedding dress in front of the mirror right on the moment you summoned her and that was what gave us the idea to send her to participate on Askr's wedding festival... Right? I really found it weird that Nel said "my wedding day" on the trailer, guess that's what happened to her then, but I wonder how it'd work with a BUNCH of the seasonal characters (say, the ones that use festival clothes from other worlds like Plegia Dorothea).

Also, I just read the thread that you, @DefyingFates, linked too, someone mentions the hot springs characters, guess they can just don't bother with trying to keep the towels in place since they're never gonna fall.

Also, guess it's canon that they don't bath (or bath in full clothing) too then lol.

EDIT: ah, wait, then Nel wasn't even on her wedding? The clothes just materialized on her??

I NEED ANSWERS TOO!!

For example, I wonder if they (specially the summer and hot springs characters, since they barely use anything) can put clothes over the ones they have on, and if they can then why didn't they, and if they can't then how (I mean, is there a magic barrier that stops more clothes from covering them, does this happen with blankets too? What would classify as a piece if clothing for this barrier? Could I sew clothes out of blankets and use? If they use a meat dress like Lady Gaga - or simply a dead animal skin- will they be able too or not? And if not, then the contract reconizes meat and skin as clothing, meaning that it stops hugs too?) ? I'm sure I'm overthinking it a bit but now I need to know!

Edited by ARMADS!!!

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, ARMADS!!! said:

About them not being able to switch clothes, I always thought that it was as if they (not dressed up yet) were sent to go to the silly festivals by us, I mean... Surely Embla wasn't just trying a wedding dress in front of the mirror right on the moment you summoned her and that was what gave us the idea to send her to participate on Askr's wedding festival... Right? I really found it weird that Nel said "my wedding day" on the trailer, guess that's what happened to her then, but I wonder how it'd work with a BUNCH of the seasonal characters (say, the ones that use festival clothes from other worlds like Plegia Dorothea).

Personally, I always figured they were summoned into the Order during the festivals, but after the story parts are over. As I mentioned, some banners do have the characters attending without necessarily indicating they're part of the Order, and even changing into the outfits willingly (which they now can't change back out, apparnerly; or perhaps it only applies if they're then summoned? I still stand it must be Contract related shenanigans... maybe, since Nel has the line even if she isn't part of the Order yet). It's not like the Summoner is the only way they can end up world hopping, after all.

Oh, right! They can put on the accessories at least. Yeah, this makes me believe it must be Contract shenanigans. They can't probably not because the clothes can't be physically removed, but rather, they may want to, but then they can't will their bodies to go through the motions of removing them.

It's not unlike how in Book 1 we had the characters lament they can't not fight you while under Embla's contracts. This is probably the same principle in action, just with the clothes.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Bridal Embla was not something I ever expected, but man am I happy for it. Was my main target to summon for, with Sharornica following. I wished Vero and Alfonse had been together because i think IS and developers in general should stop being afraid to include actual couples in their games, but whatever. Hopefully we do see Bruno here someday too.

I'm just happy i get to see Embla all irritated about the situation and Shareena in an alt, fingers crossed for you fans voting her next year.

Man, speaking of IS avoiding canon couples, even if SoV ever shows up on the bridal banner, I bet that they'll only reconize Alm/Celica and Clive/Matilda as actual canon couples and treat the others as if it was just some ship teasing between two characters from a popular ship.

2 hours ago, ARMADS!!! said:

Man, speaking of IS avoiding canon couples, even if SoV ever shows up on the bridal banner, I bet that they'll only reconize Alm/Celica and Clive/Matilda as actual canon couples and treat the others as if it was just some ship teasing between two characters from a popular ship.

With Mae and Boey it arguably works better that way. While they're definitely an official couple their screentime in the game takes place a bit before they actually figure that out and are willing to recognize it. 

Since I still haven't gotten around to playing Engage yet, this is the first time I've seen Nel's dragon form, and it's very cute. It's also nice that she's coming with a bunch of useful skills.

I also really like the Askr and Embla plushies on Sharena's Special activation art.

I just got back from a convention, so I'll get around to doing translation notes for this banner later.

And here are the usual translation notes:

The banner name, "Brides to Be", is "未来の花嫁たち" (mirai no hanayome-tachi), "The Future's Brides".

Embla's epithet, "Closed-Off Bride", is "心閉ざす花嫁" (kokoro tozasu hanayome), "Bride That Shuts [Her] Heart".

Closing Florets is "閉ざす花嫁のブーケ" (tozasu hanayome no būke), "Bouquet of the Closing Bride".

Beast Assault is "絶対化身・強襲" (zettai keshin: kyōshū), "Guaranteed Transformation: Assault".

Absolute Closure is "すべてを鎖す世界" (subete o sasu sekai), "A World That Shuts Everything". Compare with Severance, which is "すべてが閉じた世界" (subete ga tojita sekai), "A World Where Everything Is Closed".

Lapis's epithet, "Mighty Bride", is "屈強な花嫁" (kukkyō na hanayome), "Sturdy Bride".

Wildflower Edge is "野花の花嫁の大剣" (nobana no hanayome no taiken), "Greatsword of the Bride of Wildflowers". Anything but a "sword". And this one I wouldn't have even complained if they had translated it as "blade" because "大剣" (taiken), "greatsword", is the name of the Blade weapon series in the main-series games.

Share Spoils is "戦果移譲" (senka ijō),"Transfer of Battle Results".

Flow Guard is "怒涛・キャンセル" (dotō: kyanseru), "Tempest: Cancel". As usual, "キャンセル" (kyanseru), from the English word "cancel", is the name of the Guard skill.

Nel's epithet, "Stoic Bride", is "誓心の花嫁" (seishin no hanayome), "Bride With a Pledged Heart".

Dragonbloom is "竜石のブーケ" (ryūseki no būke), "Dragonstone Bouquet".

Sharena's epithet, "Pillars of Peace", is "祝福の双輪" (shukufuku no sōrin), "Blessed Dual Rings".

United Bouquet is "二国の花嫁のブーケ" (nikoku no hanayome no būke), "Bouquet of Two Countries' Brides".

Atk/Spd Excel is "攻撃速さの突破" (kōgeki hayasa no toppa), "Atk/Spd Breakthrough". "突破" (toppa), literally "piercing through", can also be translated as "exceed".

Forever Yours is "あなたのシャロン" (anata no sharon), "Your Sharena".

Alcryst's epithet, "Tender Groom", is "繊細なる花婿" (sensai-naru hanamuko), "Delicate Bridegroom".

Harp Bow is "ハープの弓" (hāpu no yumi), "Harp Bow".

Well Nel showed up quickly and I spent around 75 orbs for Embla because I love this version of her.  I think I am going to stop there because while I really like Sharena And Veronica I want to save orbs and blue is the color I need to pull the least.

As someone who's looking to expand my Galeforce options, I'll have to pass on this banner. Might pull on a DSH down the line if Sharena shares with someone interesting when I have the orbs.

15 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Wildflower Edge is "野花の花嫁の大剣" (nobana no hanayome no taiken), "Greatsword of the Bride of Wildflowers".

Does 野花 imply anything in Japanese compared to 花? Looking up 野花, it seems like the other usage refers to paper flowers used during funerals. I believe Lapis isn't of noble birth so wildflower might be referencing her hardship-filled background as a commoner.

2 hours ago, Flying Shogi said:

Does 野花 imply anything in Japanese compared to 花? Looking up 野花, it seems like the other usage refers to paper flowers used during funerals. I believe Lapis isn't of noble birth so wildflower might be referencing her hardship-filled background as a commoner.

The emphasis here isn't that she's a commoner, but that she has a rural background.

Posted (edited)
On 5/20/2024 at 7:07 AM, Acacia Sgt said:

It's not unlike how in Book 1 we had the characters lament they can't not fight you while under Embla's contracts. This is probably the same principle in action, just with the clothes.

This is exactly what I figure it is. Another example is how, despite how much Fallen Dimitri and Fallen Edelgard want to kill each other, they can't kill fellow heroes (because of the summoning contract.) I don't remember if it was them, specifically, who pointed this out, but I'm pretty sure it was a fallen hero who highlighted it.

@ARMADS!!!

They have Alm/Celica as a canon couple duo hero already, just for a Valentine's alt rather than a wedding alt.

Also, I managed to get Sharena/Veronica and Nel. Still trying to get Embla.

@DefyingFates

And indeed, I adore the TT+ interaction this time around. X3 I really hope we get Askr trying to make Embla feel better next year by dressing up as a groom and just making her feel more awkward in the end. XD

Edited by Mercakete

3 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

This is exactly what I figure it is. Another example is how, despite how much Fallen Dimitri and Fallen Edelgard want to kill each other, they can't kill fellow heroes (because of the summoning contract.) I don't remember if it was them, specifically, who pointed this out, but I'm pretty sure it was a fallen hero who highlighted it.

Yes, I also remember that. I think it was Julius? Or maybe one of the Grima. But it was certainly more than one villain mentioning that.

Sharena: Pillars of Peace and Lapis: Mighty Bride are great for Galeforce teams and compliment Galeforcing Edelgards very well. I think Sharena: Pillars of Peace is the undisputed Galeforce queen now, since she got two non-Special Galeforces on C and Duo, more than the one non-Special Galeforce that Edelgards' typically have. Edelgards' Galeforces are a little easier to trigger though, since they do not have any conditions.

10 hours ago, Flying Shogi said:

I believe Lapis isn't of noble birth so wildflower might be referencing her hardship-filled background as a commoner.

While Lapis is a commoner I don't think she's especially poor. Maybe the family is required to do some extra potato gathering to make ends meet, but Lapis doesn't give me the impression her family is destitute. 

The lighter tone of Engage also makes it likely the commonfolk aren't really suffering much, unless they happen to be ruled by Sombron. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say, I absolutely adored this TT+'s story! I'm not normally one for "stop being shy since you're pretty in that dress" stories,  but Askr being so friendly and encouraging and Elm supporting his mom was just so sweet. And man, Askr's line to Embla about her being accepted there just hit me right in the feels, especially considering her mentality about being accepted. Ugh. Askr, way to be warm and gentle and ugh agh my heart...