Florina's sprites

Loki Laufeyson

mariusmug1.gif

-The colors you used in his hair appear too light, especially for the medium and dark tones.

-There is no shading where the hair passes behind his clothes.

-His color seems to disappear into a mass of hair without making an impact. You should shade the hair in such a way that it parts over the edge of the collar.

-There's a lot of irregular shading on his face. I won't get into details here, since there are a lot and I don't think that's the best approach to fixing it. Rather, I would suggest that you compare the face you've made with some other FE faces that are facing in a similar direction or have a similar expression to see what you should do in terms of the tones and patterns used in shading a face.

-His visible ear on the right is too darkly shaded in comparison to his face and hair.

-You liberally use the darkest skin tone and outline color in his white tie or kerchief, as well as on the similarly colored shirt collar beneath it. I'd suggest either introducing another gray tone to replace it or getting rid of these accents altogether, as with instances on the face the contrast is too powerful.

-His jacket seems to use several groups of colors, one of which is much too bright compared to the rest of the sprite. You should consider totally reworking the design of his clothing if it's not supposed to be a simple jacket, because that's the dominant impression I get now.

These comments probably sound harsh, but they're the issues I found. You can probably make this sprite presentable with less effort than it took to get you where you are.

Edited by Hero

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not at all. In fact, i think i need to try a new face. the angle of it is all wrong. The reason for the colors and why the hair and face are light is because the character i tried to portray was a vampire. (Marius from the Vampire Chronicles)

As for the clothes, i was aiming for it to be like this: Marius-1.jpg

and as you can see, i kinda failed there. I was aiming for the different tones of red. Im gonna try again with a different face probably. Ill try shading the brighter part of the coat with a darker color of red.

The clothing still needs looking at. I'll add to my comments on it earlier the outline, which is inconsistent.

Your new take on his face looks much better than before. I only have a couple of suggestions here now.

-Give him darker skin. I think you could do this significantly while remaining true to the original character, or at least the picture you posted in this thread. Right now you're using the brown skin tones in what I'd call an excess considering the color of his skin, but if he was more tan it would be normal.

-Look around the jawline and hairline to correct irregularities in shading on the skin. I don't think that the irregularities that are there right now add much in terms of making the sprite looking more like the original character, and they make the sprite look sloppy.

-Last, I'd like to call your attention to the neck area. It looks half-finished. I think that you know what to do to finish it, judging by the work that you did do leading up to this current version of the sprite.

• 3 weeks later...

It's decent shading, and the shape is okay. I think what you need to look at is the angle of the head and the angle of the body.

His face is turned to far to the left (his right) while his body almost faces forward, do you see what I'm pointing out?

I encourage you to keep practicing and updating your topic, I enjoy your mugs.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh man i havent done one of these in so very long but heres the battle scene of the infamous HP spoiler (as seen in my current sig.)

HPbattle1.png

(yeah the words Avada Kedavera wouldnt fit. D: )

Also slight modification to Athos yields Dumbledore!

dumbledoremug1.gif

Hermione!

hermionemug.gif

And the Big Bad Voldemort!

voldymug.gif

Edited by Florina

Oh man i havent done one of these in so very long but heres the battle scene of the infamous HP spoiler (as seen in my current sig.)

HPbattle1.png

Also slight modification to Athos yields Dumbledore!

dumbledoremug1.gif

This should help on the glasses a bit:

It's a Glass Menagerie!!

k00spritetips5.png

Yes, alot of the time when I see people try to make glasses, they fail miserably and look more like something that came from the Dollar Tree. Glasses can be a bit tricky to make, but if you put time into it and use Canas as a guideline, you should come out with something that's atleast decent.

The biggest problem I see involves frames. People like to use a full outline around their glasses, but the problem with this is that it's too bold on the bottom and really makes the mugshot look a bit crappy. Remember, even the best mugshots can be made to look like crap if the glasses don't look good. The Face is usually what a viewer sees first in a mugshot, and if your glasses look funky, then the rest of your mugshot probably won't get the praise it deserves.

Yeah. I found that and did follow some instructions on it on this particular sprite of Harry

Heres the old one:

harrymug1.gif

and heres the one i made after reading that little deal.

harrymug2.gif

I should touch up the Dumbledore when im not feeling lazy.

HPbattle1.png

F*****g Sexy! :D

The 0 hit, dmg, & crt should be --. BTW

Edited by Bryan

Ah, hi there, Florina. I know you. :3

As I've told you before, your sprites are very good. The Saria one doesn't really impress me too much though. It simply looks like you slapped Nino's head on Saria's body. Although Nino does look a lot like Saria (weird...), I wouldn't recommend just copying all over again. xP

RANIL???? Uh oh. :P

Yeah when i first saw Nino i was like "yeah Saria expy, anyone?" :)

The 0 hit, dmg, & crt should be --. BTW

Hmmm...yeah yer right. That was the first battle sheet i had done in like 3 years. FORGIVENESS PLEASE!

RANIL???? Uh oh. :P

Yeah when i first saw Nino i was like "yeah Saria expy, anyone?" :)

Hmmm...yeah yer right. That was the first battle sheet i had done in like 3 years. FORGIVENESS PLEASE!

I forgive you. It's still Smexy <3

• 3 weeks later...

Heres one i did of Lucius Malfoy. Quite a bit of this sprite was actually custom. Mostly his hair. D: It shows doesnt it...

Anyway tell me what you think:

luciusmalfoymug.gif

Also a bit of an improvement on the Voldy sprite. He wasnt supposed to have a nose like normal people so yeah:

voldymug1.gif

Edited by Nyarlathotep

• 2 weeks later...