Feedback for Mongrel

Inactive Account

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I lack time right now, I'll start off by correcting a few errors you made.

Every so often a slot in
"Where are they?" Asked a woman.
"Are they injured?" Asked the girl holding the children.

Since the dialogue ends with that kind of punctuation, "asked" is the start of a new sentence and therefore must be capitalised.

The new boy sat up
"Where am I? Who are you people?" She demanded

This next part I quote is a tad confusing.

"I'm Amy," she told the newcomers. "These are Lilia and Lukas. What are your names?"

"I'm Amy" ends with a comma, meaning that the next time she speaks that she is continuing her sentence. But the next time she speaks, you start with a capital, indicating a new sentence... so either the comma should be a full stop, or the "these" in the next part should not be capitalised.

Edited by Man of the Year!

I also forgot to mention something rather important: paragraphs.

You should either put a space between paragraphs, or you have no space but you indent the first line of every paragraph, or you should use the pilcrow. Since I hear you cannot do indenting on this forum, that would mean that spacing would be the most suitable way to indicate a new paragraph.

Spacing paragraphs is also beneficial to the readability of the text, since it avoid turning the story into looking like one huge block of text.

I'm glad you didn't write it in script. You're pretty good at prose, so I don't understand why you would want to write it in script. Good chapter/block, although the use of characters outside of their respective stories annoys me a little. It's not my business, though.

I also read the prologue.

There is truly nothing wrong with your style, I'm not gonna criticize you, but the characters that appeared there could of been introduced with a little more detail, not just woman, man, etc. You could have described a bit what they looked like. ^^ Still, I'll follow it until I get bored with it. :D

I also read the prologue.

There is truly nothing wrong with your style, I'm not gonna criticize you, but the characters that appeared there could of been introduced with a little more detail, not just woman, man, etc. You could have described a bit what they looked like. ^^ Still, I'll follow it until I get bored with it. :D

Wouldn't really make sense to describe characters in pitch black now, would it?

Wouldn't really make sense to describe characters in pitch black now, would it?

Despite the darkness, the ones already there already were finely adjusted to it, lol. So...

In regards to the second part of this chapter: written here by Lyle.

One thing catching me eye right now, I'm spotting a bit of tense mix up here. A few (but not all) examples of where I saw this:

Shocked by the fact that he’s in the presence of such high standing people, he regains some hope of rescue.

The first part is in the past tense, but after the comma it becomes present. Should it not be "he regained some hope of rescue" if you are sticking to past tense?

“Hah!” Said the snarky cat laguz. “Sit here and wait. What do you expect us to do?”

Emily scowls at the laguz and mutters under her breath.

"Said" is past tense I do believe, but when you use "scowls" and "mutters" instead of "scowled" and "muttered"

Chase breaks the silence. “How long have you guys been here?”

This is present tense, but...

Ranulf added

... this is in past tense.

“...That-” She’s interrupted by the door above them opening again.

“Hey!” Janaff attempts to fly out of the hole,

The top line is in past tense, but the bottom line is written in present.

Emily was shocked at his perception, but she tried to bluff. “What do you know about me?”

“Deny it all you want. But at the very least, you gotta accept that we’re all in this together, so we may as well get along.” He gets up and walks over to his original place.

Again, the top line is in past tense (shocked) but the bottom in in present.

-----------------------

PICK A TENSE AND STICK TO IT!

Edited by Man of the Year!

Despite the darkness, the ones already there already were finely adjusted to it, lol. So...

._. I'm sure it's meant to be mysterious. You've never seen/heard of the dark room with silhouettes?