Lord of Azure Flame Chapter 18: Grand Ballin'

-Cynthia-

Chase strolled around in a dressing room, having tried on several outfits and not liking any. "Ugh... How can Viv stand this stuff? This is going to take forever," he mumbled, and after trying several more outfits he finally chose a black cloak and vest with blue pants. 'I suppose this'll have to do," he concluded, grimacing, before exiting the dressing room.

• Replies 959
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reika

"I'll take that," said Reika, ignoring the crying girl while taking a great black dress and slipped off to change. The dress was a little big for her in the bust area, but otherwise it fit her nearly perfectly.

Heh. Looks like the mercenary's just alienated herself from everyone. Good. I just wish she'd stop whining.

Alferis

The streets were lined with all sorts of shops and Alferis looked up in marvel. He hadn't been to the capital before, so he hadn't seen a city this big. He searched for a good tavern, hoping that he might gain some info and just to hang around. Finding a building with a sign with a tankard on it, he went in, loud sounds of shouting and merriment around him.

Safe Subversion

Once Stephanie was done buying Ixion and herself clothes, they left the store and came out into the streets. Ixion's gaze darted to the commotion drawing near before Stephanie noticed. The sounds of screams and panicked civilians caught the attention of those nearby! Suddenly the source revealed itself and both Ixion and Stephanie took a step back in surprise! The white pegasus burst into view spooked beyond anyone's ability to calm! She flapped her wings like a soaked bird trying to out fly Nyx who was still closing in fast!

Ixion: Susann!

Stephanie: Who?!

The pegasus came barreling toward them at top speed, and Ixion shoved Stephanie to the side before moving himself! Nyx came charging next! This time Ixion stood his ground! Nyx slowed her charge as a result! What was this?! A human who would not get out of her way?! She would skewer him and that would teach all future offenders to move, she thought as she sped up again! Ixion quickly threw a single flux orb at her which she angrily slapped aside with her horn! Next he summoned a gigantic pillar of dark energy with a dangerously sharp tip and attacked her with it! She leaped into the air and brought it to the ground with her weight! And then trampled the dark energy to crumbling bits before rearing wildly!

Ixion: ... ... ....

Next the infuriated pegasus came charging at him again! This time he was too close to get out of the way without being clipped by her wings! He took a defensive stance and held out his hand at the very last second! A bright flash appeared and blinded the impact, but when it faded it was clear to see that Nyx had been halted, though Ixion's hand had been impaled by her horn, his hand now resting around the base of her horn and upon her head. Her mind had been dominated, though Ixion was a bit unnerved by the horn tip that floated less than two inches from his eye.

Stephanie: Ixion!! Are you alright?!

Ixion: Urg- ... this pain ... (I am indeed only human. These types of close calls need to stop occurring once and for all ...)

Susann watched from a short distance awed by Nyx's subversion. How did the dark human make her stop attacking she wondered. Stephanie soon helped Ixion pull his hand off the long horn and he let out a pained frustrated moan when it happened. Stephanie then revealed her healing staff.

Stephanie: You are very fortunate that I'm here, Ixion.

Ixion: I-indeed ... urg- ...

Stephanie: So the least you could do is not complain when I want to put new things on you.

Ixion: I am not something to be decorated.

Stephanie: And there you go again ...

Susann watched the humans talk wondering who they were and then she turned her attention to Nyx who was giving her the oddest stare. The dark one came trotting over causing Susann to nearly spook again, but when she arrived she nuzzled Susann with her snout. The gesture blew her away when all previous events were considered! What did the dark one do to her she thought, nearly panic stricken!

EDIT: Typo

Edited by Phoenix

Kelas watched the argument uncomfortably. Charlotte was her friend, but... there really wasn't anything she could do about this.

Finally, she spoke up. "Look, Charlotte... this isn't really a trivial thing, from what I understand of nobles. You should go, represent your people... and enjoy yourself I guess, if you really like this sort of thing. But... there's really nothing that my presence will help with." She inched back towards the case, ready to put the dress down; she felt a sort of relief, but immediately felt bad about it.

------------------------------------------------------

Arrin could only sit silently as the events unfolded; he didn't really know who was in the right. Of course politics could seem useless from the outside, but he thought Esphyr could at least try to understand... on the other hand, he couldn't entirely understand Charlotte's enthusiasm himself.

As another wave of dizziness struck he realized that there was likely nothing he could do about it anyway, and concentrated more on not falling out of his chair.

Charlotte had waved off Tessa's concerns about the shift in entourages, as well as how to go about actual dancing, with the mention that some lessons were probably in order for the group as a whole, and that was pretty much that. Not that she could really blame the princess, as trying to coordinate for a group this size must be giving her a royal headache, and the troubadour wasn't the most demanding of people, so it was only natural.

The subject was shifted to who did, or did not have formal wear, and the nature of the matter led quickly into most people having to try on outfits and change. Since it seemed appropriate, and since the dance lessons should probably be best conducted in the dress anyways, Tessa retrieved it from Viv's case, giving her a courtesy nod, a small hug, and a heartfelt apology, "Sorry that everyone else is pillaging through your things!"

Sliding quickly out of the dining room-come-meeting area, the troubadour followed a servant to one of the fitting rooms, missing Charlotte's pronouncement for somebody to fetch the various missing members of the party. It took quite a bit of assistance, but eventually the corset was laced, the dress was worn, and the full length gloves were donned. The seamstress back at Directus had lamented Tessa's lack of jewelry, 'Earrings and necklace at the least are a must!', but the generosity of the offer had not extended quite that far. Not that it would have mattered, as her ears were not pierced, so half of the accouterments would have been completely useless. Still, it was an impressive affair, decked out as she was. She found it a bit hard to move in, though. The full length skirts of the dress flowed across the floor, and impeded normal movements, and the high heeled court shoes threw off her standard center of balance.

A glance into the mirror gave her a bit of a surprise. The troubadour hardly recognized herself. "The only way my appearance could be any more changed would be if my hair were done up in some elaborate fashion..." she mused softly, suddenly getting the feeling that Charlotte would probably suggest just such a thing upon her return to the dining hall. Wearing one's hair down probably was an outrage to fashion, after all...

Carefully making her way back to the main area, Tessa arrived to find that Arrin seemed to have picked out an outfit and was doing better for himself; his headache must have cleared after all. She would have gone over to ask for certain, but that had not been the only new development in her absence. Esphyr had passed out on the floor, it seemed, and Isotov and Kelas were vehemently arguing with Charlotte over something. Moving over to the center of the commotion, trying to keep from tottering as she did, she overheard "Isotov's blind?!" which caused her to give a bit of a gasp as well as stopped her in her tracks. Last night, when the magical letters had appeared, she hadn't noticed anything wrong with his eyes at all, the focus having been on the mysterious dark magic at all, and the sun having already set. Nor could she remember anything before that that might have given things away.

Inwardly berating herself for missing cues, and feeling peeved at Isotov for hiding things―clearly he'd been learning from Kelas on the matter―she missed the resolution of that episode, and was startled by the beginning of yet another arguement. Esphyr and Charlotte were shouting back and forth at each other... over the Irina episode... which Tessa had also failed to handle properly... As Esphyr stormed angrily off after the conclusion, Tessa tried to run after her, forgetting herself, and falling flat on her face as her heels and dress conspired against her.

Edit: knew != new. Also, punctuations.

Edited by Balcerzak

Irina and Levski

Irina: I'm still not sure which dress I should-

Lev: Red -_-

Irina: Huh?

Lev: When in doubt, go red. (Then again we are helping Charlotte represent Jerdon and its interests. We should likely be wearing blue or neutral colors for these event.) If you can't find anything you like, I'd go with black or white. Blue isn't your color, Irina.

The arguments were starting to pick up and the two wyvern riders were no longer able to ignore them by that point. When Esphyr finally stormed out, Tessa immediately went after her only to be stopped short by her own dress! Irina gasped and Lev quickly jogged over before kneeling down to her!

Lev: Are you alright, Tessa?

He was a little worried but he kept that perfectly hidden behind his voice as he offered her his still armored hand.

Isotov

After thinking about it for a few moments, Iso was left on the fence. He didn't want to go, but Charlotte seemed certain that he could perform well at the ball. Whether this was out of some sort of misguided faith, short sightedness, or genuine confidence he couldn't say. All he could say was ...

Iso: ... I'll ... I'll go if she wants. If she's that certain I won't look like an idiot then I'll try to live up to that.

Grabbing the offered gauntlet with one hand, and her nose with the other, Tessa, took it slow, and stood back up. She'd managed to avoid tearing the dress, or anything else catastrophic, but she'd definitely suffered a crushing blow to her pride, and an uncomfortable bump which left her with a smarting sensation and slightly watering eyes.

"Th-thank you Lev," she made out once she had her feet fully underneath her again. "That was... unexpected. I should have been paying better attention." Lowering her hand from her face to her dress, she brushed off the bits of dust that had collected from its encounter with the floor.

Irina and Levski

His smile widened and he pointed to the scar on his eye.

Lev: Think nothing of it. I'll have to help you up who knows how many more times before repaying you for these.

Irina: (That scar? Oh right. That's why Viv and I got off to a really bad start. She blinded Lev and I ... ... "tried to kill her" ...) *sigh* ... not much better than Esphyr am I?

She wasn't speaking very firmly. It wasn't much more than an utterance and to noone in particular.

EDIT: Added Irina bit and I do mean bit.

Edited by Phoenix

Following his gesture, Tessa remembered back to the incident when Lev had joined the party. "Oh, that's right! I wasn't in time to prevent the scarring, but yes, I suppose you might be right. Still... I hardly consider it that everyone I heal has a debt or anything of the sort. That would be... sort of petty of me wouldn't it?"

Turning back towards where Esphyr had disappeared, she heaved a sigh. There was no catching up to the mercenary now. At least the odd knight had followed after her―

"Ah! I almost forgot," she exclaimed, suddenly recalling her earlier unfinished business with the knight. "I was going to ask him what he'd meant with that comment about demons... but now he's off and gone again isn't he? I really need to work on this gathering information role... I didn't even know Isotov was blind." Tessa's shoulders slumped a bit.

"Demons, Jace, the ball. There's so many important things, it's hard to keep priorities straight on everything... How does one really manage, Lev? I expect you have to juggle a lot of things yourself, sometimes even conflicting affairs, what as a mercenary and all..."

Eric

"... Much obliged, your Highness," Eric said, bowing. "I am also pleased at the leniency you are showing."

Derek

"... Well, in that case, there has to be a way to counter the counter strategy, right?" Derek asked. "And, I would agree with you knowing better, except that I probably would have done the same, if it were Jace. Let's just get back to the others, now. It seems that we are released from having to go to the ball as Charlotte's attendants. Though, I probably still have to go," he finished, with a sigh.

Dani

Seeing that Tessa had fallen, Dani walked over, heels clacking. Seeing as she had issues walking, the mage waited until she was helped up by Lev, then said, "If you want to run with that on, try lifting the bottom of the dress like this," lifting the bottom of her own dress. "And, Tessa, if you have problems walking, try to lean back on your heels. It helps your balance a lot, I find."

Levski

Lev: I remember what it was like with half my world in darkness. Acting tough about it doesn't make it any easier. I should be wearing a patch right now, not a fashionable scar. It's no minor thing for a sky rider.

Of course he agreed with Tessa on not lording it over people with her healing abilities and commented on that as well.

Lev: You just keep doing what you're doing, Tessa. Everyone has their own way of showing their gratitude. (Though mine isn't exactly original ...)

Tessa soon broke out into a more elevated mood when certain things came to mind and Lev stood there for a moment listening. Then she asked him how he managed to handle a lot of information as a mercenary and he smiled again, partly humored by the question. Another part of him was feeling a bit of a longing to go into details but he stomped that urge out right quick.

Lev: I do have a bit to manage, don't I? Hell I haven't written a song in ages I'm so busy. Keeping an eye out for Irina, helping Morgan train the lunatics to "sit and stay", carrying around the luggage for the others. I look at it these way. If there's too much information for me to sort on my own, best to write it down.

He then put his hand on his chin for a moment in thought.

Lev: You and Morgan ... (She's one of Morgan's allies in these group right?) ... hmm .... Advice. If you do write things down, don't let anyone else see them. Better safe than spied on.

Viveka

Viv held her head down and muttered.

Viveka: How do you counter someone who's smarter than you ...?

Once the ball issue came back up, Viveka snapped out of her defeat.

Viveka: She's not dragging us along? Aww. I wanted to see something funny for once. I'm still going though. I like social gatherings. Come to think of it, Pary did ask me to go with him. Hmmm

She pondered it for a moment.

After storming out of the girls rooms where they were getting ready, Esphyr was more dead-set than ever on leaving; her job and love for Damian forgotten in the sheer hopelessness of her despair. She wanted someone to confront her about what she had done, be mad and rage, and punish her. Not pass off her action like she had called Irina fat before going off to giggle about the stupid ball like a idiot schoolgirl. Her fury in a full-out rile, she stormed back out to the front gates. Unbeknownst to her, Altion following in the crowd, keeping his distance. After the prior incident, he was convinced that knocking her out and bringing her back was a bad idea. At least, not until she had finished her fume.

"I...well it's your decision Kelas." Charlotte finished. "Oh, and as for Jace, I think I may be able to arrange a meeting with him at the ball. I'll see what I can do."

"Sir Eric, you do not have to attend the ball if you do not desire to. I would enjoy your presence of course but do not feel...obligated to do so on my behalf." she said, turning to him.

Derek

"Pary did? Well, good luck, then," Derek said, beginning to walk back. "I just hope he doesn't manage to get himself thrown into jail. That would look bad, Y'know?"

Eric

"No, it is alright. I at least have to represent Duke Arckson, and besides, I would rather be close in case Jace tries something," he said, clenching his fists under the table. "I would not put it above him to crash the ball."

Edit: Added Eric.

Edited by Snike

Viveka

Viveka: Thanks but ... I haven't actually said yes yet. I thought it would be best to see what Charlotte's little pairings were before deciding whether or not to switch up. You kind of sound like you don't want to go.

Tessa nodded as she listened to Lev's advice. "A journal, huh...? I wonder if that would help. And wait... you write songs? I might have to ask you to sing one for me some time then. Give you another excuse to 'pay it back' if you still feel it's necessary." She giggled a bit at the thought, but then Dani came over, and started to give a little pertinent advice.

"Excuse me Lev," she broke off their conversation. Following the female thunder mage's example, she gathered some of the fabric of the dress at her sides into her hands, lifting it so that the hem of the gown was mostly level with her ankles, and did a quick test run around the woman. She stumbled and almost fell again, but managed to regain her balance in time. Though the dress issue had been neutralized, there was still the issue of the heels, and despite the other woman's words, Tessa was having trouble with the concept.

"Oh dear. Leaning backwards feels so unnatural... but I suppose I must get used this... and quickly. Dancing is only going to be harder isn't it?"

Derek

"Not really. Though, if I don't, I'm going to get killed by the princess AND my sister. Pick your poison, I suppose," Derek said, with a sigh. "Dancing, and all the gossip, is just not my thing. As for the pairing idea, honestly, you should give him a direct answer, instead of making him wait. He would appreciate it in the long run."

Dani

"Just a little bit, but you get used to it," Dani said, twirling around. "Besides, that's why you have a date, to catch you if you fall. Don't worry, we'll make a lady out of you yet!"

Irina and Levski

Lev nodded with another one of his innocent smiles as Tessa turned to Dani in hopes of solving her dress problems. Irina came up beside Lev with a dress in hand. They both watched Tessa as she practiced and Lev had to stop himself from leaping to catch her as she stumbled a second time, but he still clearly reacted to it with a flinch. Irina noticed like anyone else would have.

Irina: I think she can handle it.

Lev: *sigh* yeah, but I find it really annoying when a woman falls to the ground when she can be saved. Eh. Flier logic.

He shrugged and then quickly reopened his eyes having noticed the dress Irina was holding!

Lev: So red it is?

Irina: Well Charlotte did say that we don't all have to represent her now so ... yeah. Do you ... think I would stand out a bit in this?

Lev: Hahah! Just hurry up and put that on so I can check you out.

She immediately curled up a bit, her cheeks blushing in response, and her shoulders rising.

Irina: Alright. I'll go talk with the seamstresses and I'll be back soon. (Oh why did I do that again?!)

Viveka

Viveka: ... yeah you're probably right. Thing is, I don't know who's going with who so I have no idea what my strategy for this ball should be. My answer was going to depend on that. If I need to give off a particular impression, I may need to even trick Lev into asking me to the ball. It all depends.

Helios

Heading back to the dressing room, Helios hastily grabbed a pitch black suit and locked himself in side. In a matter of minutes, he opened the door with the suit on. He looked in a mirror and frowned. It was missing something. Then he stepped on something, a dark hat. Dusting it off, he plotted it on his head. "Thats more like it." He said smugly walking out of the dressing room.

Impulsive queen whose name i forget...

After a few minutes of riding, the queen started pouting. "Sayer, Im hungry. By me something now!" She whined. Sayer looked miserable. He wouldn't have come if he knew she was gonna be this annoying. "We'll stop at the castle town, my queen." He sighed. The queen then pipped up. "I can go shopping too. Sweet." ^_^

OOC: I feel bad for Sayer.....

Chase looked in a mirror, and frowned. "Something doesn't look right..." he muttered to himself. He went back into the room and changed into a long black coat, accompanied by a Burgundy shirt and dark grey pants. "That somehow looks better... Oh, whatever, this'll have to work."

OOC: Yeah, Chase totally just jacked the coat Helios had before.

--

Meanwhile, Conrad was having a much more successful time at getting ready. He wore a dark green tunic complimented by a deep red pants, over which he wore a black tuxedo. Finishing the look with a red tei, he nodded to himself in the mirror and exited the room.

Edited by Lightning

"Goddamn these things," Reika cursed as she stumbled around, unused to wearing a dress." Heading back towards where Charlotte and the others were, Reika gathered some of the lower part of the dress, but still had a bit of trouble walking.

"What compels these noblewomen to wear clothes that are uncomfortable and hard to move in?" she wondered aloud.

Seeing the healer fall to the ground rushing after Esphyr, Heinz put his travelworn cloak on the chair, standing up. Nice dress, even if you can't walk in it, slightly humored. He was about to offer assistance to Tessa when Lev helped the girl up. He's a charmer it seems, Heinz remarked wryly. Still smart though, smarter than most would guess, training Morgan like this, looking around aimlessly.

Tessa's probably going with Arrin, and Lev might go with Irina, he pondered. I suppose I could ask Morgan, but I did make a big deal out of being professional earlier, noticing Reika walk in. "Because they enjoy dressing up. I assume that with experience, it's not too difficult to walk in them," shrugging his shoulders. And I'm sure you'll be a wonderful dancer, he added silently.

"Yes, god forbid that they can't wear clothes that are good for running and look nice," she rolled her eyes walking past Heinz.

"Hey Princess! When's the ball starting?" she shouted to Charlotte.

"In a few hours." Charlotte answered Reika. "Before then, I should hold some emergency dance lessons for those untrained. Everyone should bathe as well, perhaps get their hair done. Oh, so much to do so little time. And for those not attending the ball, I ask that you keep a low profile. You're supposed to be sick in bed from bad oysters."

Edited by -Cynthia-

I'm...allowed not to go to the ball? But I still have my mission to complete and if I don't I die. Damn.

"Fine. I'll take the lessons from you later, preferably five seconds right before the ball starts. In the meantime, I need to go take a bath, if you know where they are," said Reika, not giving a damn about the dancing.