Lord of Azure Flame Chapter 18: Grand Ballin'

-Cynthia-

As everyone began trying on dresses, Aiya slipped away to change into her own.

Several servant girls assisted her in putting the gown on, gawking at the elegance of the dress. The diamond strands weaved into the fabric caused the whole of it to shimmer in the light, and the larger embedded gems only accented the shimmer, redirecting the light to compliment it.

The pure white silk clung to her body snugly, and she couldn't help but stare into the mirror. Aiya had worn the dress before, but she still couldn't believe that she was indeed the woman looking into the mirror. As her scarlet locks were done up into a loose bun, intentionally spilling out over her face a smidgeon, Aiya let out a contented sigh.

'The thought of becoming one of the nobility... if I wanted to continue to live the way I had been... is it not inevitable... if I want to keep living with him? So many things are unfamiliar about it... but I can live with things like this.'

As the ensemble was completed with a white gold necklace, holding a decent sized ruby at it's center, Aiya turned back towards the dressing room.

'This'll be the first time they see it... won't it? I wonder what they'll think...'

Entering the area where the others were gathered, Aiya managed a curtsy.

"Umm... how do I look?"

Damian had left the area to find something to wear, missing the entirety of the fiasco with Esphyr and Charlotte.

His chosen outfit was decently simple. A matching black suit and dress pants, with a crimson undershirt. From the shoulders hung light golden chains, laced together to form a slight veil over them.

Releasing his braid, Damian tied his hair in a loose ponytail, just above shoulder height. The crimson tie holding his hair in place. Deciding that should be enough for the ball, Damian began to head towards the gathering room.

• Replies 959
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rita and Cess:

"Ok, I'll be right back!" Rita ran out of the room, still wearing her dress bare-footed. A few moments later, she came in dragging Cess by his cape. "Rita~ Let me go...I don't want to watch you all get dressed. :sob:"

"Duh!" Rita placed her hand on his shoulder, and grabbed his hand.

"Oh, you could've just said so."

"Guys! Watch us!"

The two began to glide across the floor, following a simple up-tempo waltz.

"Oh, all right, I'll go," Kelas grumbled, moving away from the case. "If Arrin's going I suppose I'd better come, in case he gets sick again... make sure people don't get into trouble, whatever..." She bent down to scoop up some shoes, regular flats, before someone could try to assign her a pair of heels.

"If everyone's all right for the moment, I suppose I should go change," she added, thinking that maybe she could at least avoid being fussed over. She ducked off down the hall, eventually finding some baths; the bored maid in charge looked dubious, but admitted her, and accepted a couple of coins in exchange for keeping everyone out until Kelas was done.

Out of habit she washed quickly, and was nearly dressed in her own clothes again when she realized what she was supposed to be doing. "Dammit." She exchanged her clothes for the dress, pulling a borrowed pair of knee-length breeches on under it (unlike her own, they fit closely enough to not be noticed under the skirt) along with the necessary stockings and shoes. She sighed. If she had to, she could run, ride, fight, but this still struck her as a terrible idea. Just in case, she slipped one of the tiny knives usually kept in her boots into the sash of the dress-- not that it would be any good for fighting, but knives were useful for lots of things.

She re-braided her hair as she walked back down the hall to return to the group, but when she went to tie it, the string she usually used broke. "Right, I'm back... anyone got some string or something?" she asked, returning.

"I have some right here." Charlotte said, handing Kelas some string. "Something always has to be tied together around ball time."

She watched Cess and Rita "You two have done this before." she admitted. "You can mimic what Cess is doing, right Sir Eric?" she asked him, before moving on to the other dancers.

Edited by -Cynthia-

Chase exited the changing room to be confronted with the strange sight that was Rita trying to get Cess to dance with her. Wow. I feel pretty bad for him... he thought, and walked slowly in the other direction away from them. Guess I'll just find Morgan then, he concluded, and walked in the opposite direction of her.

Cess and Rita:

"Rita, stop trying to lead!"

"But I don't like dancing slow!"

"Just follow me!"

Rita and Cess kept dancing around, spinning occasionally. Eventually, they came to a stop. "That one should be simple enough to teach to the rest of you."

Walking down the hall, Helios had a sudden realization. "Shit!" He exclaimed banging his head against the wall which caused a scene to anyone who was nearby. "How the hell did i forget?!?! Dammit." He looked to his left and saw Chase walking down. "Oh it you. Morgan over there." He said pointed the other way towards the dance room.

Edited by Kai

"Screw it, I'll go find them myself," said Reika, heading down the hall and seeing a servant girl, asked where the baths were. After being told where to find them, she arrived, stripped down, and soaked, washing off some of the sweat and grime she acquired. Finishing quickly, Reika put the dress back on and headed back to the gathering room.

"So Princess. If we're going to do these dance lessons, let's get it over with now," she said, tapping her foot impatiently.

Alferis

"Good place," Alferis muttered, browsing the bar. He sat on a barstool, and gestured to the barkeep.

"Yes? You wanna order something?"

"Nah. I'm just checking this place out. I'm new to town so I was hoping you could help."

"....Bah. Lousy little...At least give me something for compensation."

"Let me check," said Alferis, knowing he had no more gold but still had some silvers and tossed one over.

"What kind of places you looking for?"

"Well, I was hoping you could actually offer me some new info here."

"Royal Ball coming up. Drawing all sorts of people."

"Anything else?"

"There's some stuff I heard. Let me think...Ah yes. I heard Lord Harold is coming to this ball."

"Lord Harold of Elysimia?"

"The same. Guess Jace is coming along with his daughter as well."

"That's big news! I wonder what else he's here for."

"Damned if I know."

"Where is your partner Reika?" Charlotte asked. "I thought you were Alferis's date, but he seems to be missing. Ah well, that is Count Altair's problem at this point not mine. Now for the waltz, which is the most important dance really, we'll want to be doing a basic box step. Each half box has three steps, a step forwards or backwards, a step to the side, and a step to close the feet together."

"The leader, traditionally the man, begins with a forward half box followed by a backwards half box. The follower does the opposite. The basic box step uses three counts: slow, quick, quick which is repeated twice to make the box step. The waltz is all about smooth, elegant movements, there is no need to rush through it." she said, glaring at Rita.

Edited by -Cynthia-

"Yeah yeah. He's out," she muttered, processing the steps in her head. She stepped forward, stepped to the side and then stepped to close the feet together, as Charlotte instructed.

"Ok?" she glared back at her.

Luc Altair

Luc watched Rita and Cess somehow pull off a decent enough dance. It was kind of mystifying to Luc that the shaman could keep up with the hyper girl's energy, but he endured it remarkably. "My my, can't say I expected that."

Charlotte began lecturing Reika about the steps of the waltz after. Luc shifted uncomfortably a bit. Those were the same instructions he received repeatedly that never had any effect.

Luc frowned when he heard that Alferis had gone away. That did make things a tad difficult, but going after him could make things worse. Though Reika being his date was already about as worse as things could get. Luc could do little but desire the girl not threaten to kill the other guests.

EDIT: See, not previewing makes people ninja. Editing.

EDIT2: Stuff added.

Edited by Script

"Thanks," Kelas said, taking the string and tying her hair back. The string was a bit too fine for the knot, though, and it slipped loose. "Ah blast... guess I should just leave it down," Kelas muttered, undoing the braid.

It was a bit much when Charlotte started giving dancing instructions, though. "Right, I think this is the bit where I conveniently disappear for a while," Kelas remarked. "Arrin, you all right? You eaten today?"

"Bit dizzy," Arrin replied. "Otherwise fine. I don't think I'll be up for much dancing or walking around, though... and yes, I've eaten. If it's all right I'll just sit here for now."

"Right then, you stay here, don't push yourself. ...You okay? Other than bored, I mean?" Kelas asked Isotov.

An Old Addition

While Ixion and Stephanie went shopping, Jasmine made her way to the castle gates hoping to find the others. Of course she was stopped by several guards.

Guard: State your business.

Jasmine: ... *sigh* what's the point? You're not going to let me in anyway if I say "I have to get inside, my friends are waiting for me!"

Guard: ... ... ... yeah probably not.

Jasmine: Could you maybe send someone in there to find Captain Viveka, or maybe the General?

He scratched his neck not wanting to go through the effort, but decided he may as well. She looked a bit troubled and he didn't want to make it any worse. She was likely having problems as it was.

Guard: Alright, wait here. I'll send someone. If they're in the castle, they'll be notified.

Jasmine: Thanks.

Black Druid Moan

As he stared down at his ailing palm only to be able to see the ground through it and the pool of blood gathering at his feet, Ixion's expression illuminated with pain. He hadn't been maimed in recent memory and such pain was much harder to overlook. Stephanie quickly used her staff to close the wound and then came very close to him trying to examine his face.

Stephanie: Are you alright?

Ixion: ... this weakness.

Stephanie: Oh goodness, Ixion, who are you trying to be? You used your hand to block a deadly weapon and you thought you weren't going to get hurt?

Ixion: I blocked nothing. I misplaced my hand and my body at the last moment. I cannot accept such a failure.

Stephanie: Your perfectionism disturbs and annoys me to no end, Ixion. I demand that you learn to accept your own limitations and not speak of such foolishness again.

Meanwhile Susann shivered uncontrollably, unnerved by the affections of the dark pegasus. Nyx continued to nuzzle her ignoring the fact that it was incredibly creepy.

Ixion: Stephanie, I need to take a look around this city. I'd like you to return these pegasi to the castle.

Stephanie: They came from the castle?

Ixion: That pegasus belongs to someone in the group Irina, Levski, and Isotov are in. The black pegasus belongs to Colonel Daneka of Jerdon I believe.

Stephanie: I don't know if I can handle two pegasi.

Ixion: You are not handling two pegasi. You are handling a cowardly winged pony and an intoxicated demon.

Stephanie: ... ugh.

She was tired of arguing. Ixion was the one person who couldn't be swayed by her words once he'd made up his mind no matter what and decided to simply do as he asked so that she could catch up to him later. With that, she grabbed them both by their reins ... or what was left of Susann's and led them off back toward the castle. Ixion stood there in the street with dozens upon dozens of people watching him.

Ixion: ... irritating ....

Wonder Wagon

Shamus whipped down the reins on the two horses pulling the wagon and yelled as his frightened passenger held onto him for dear life! The metal plated wagon raced through the streets nearly running people into buildings!

Shamus: YAH!!! YAHH!!! Come on!! We don't got all day! Move your arses!!

Kamilla: S-s-s-s-slow down! We could crash!

Shamus: No time, Lass!! The shops are further spread out than I thought, and you've got somewhere ta be am I right?!

Kamilla: Y-y-yes, but ... I don't want to die!

Shamus continued whipping at the horses driving them forward and yelling.

Isobored

Iso: *sigh* yeah I'm fine. My stomach feels like I just drank ten cups of something though so don't be surprised if I have another blood vomiting episode. I'm still blind and Katie's nowhere to be found, the tomes are still missing and we're off to party with a bunch of nobles who'll probably mock and ridicule us in a few hours, but other than that I think I'm alright.

He cracked a smile to mask his obviously fouled up mood. The time he'd spent thinking about events while Kelas was gone seemed to have left him a bit irritable, not at her, but still irritable.

"Good!" Charlotte said, watching Reika's movements. "See everybody, it's very simple. All you need to do is repeat those steps to mirror your partner. He really should be here you know, I doubt he's had formal dance training. Slow, quick, quick, slow, quick, quick."

"Come on ball attendants! Once we've mastered the waltz we can move on to more complicated dance steps." She dragged Tessa over to Luc. "Now Count Altair, I'm sure you've danced before. Show Tessa how it's done."

Alferis

"So I see Lefty Dan make a motion to his knife and then I bash his brains out!"

"Uh huh..." said Alferis, wondering how he got to rumors around here to stories about gang violence. He didn't really learn all that much anyway. Just that Harold was going to be at the bar and how to navigate around the city, but otherwise, it was time to head back.

"Erm, thanks for your time and your help. Hope you keep in business," he said giving a thumbs up and heading out the door.

He raced back to the castle, bumping into people occasionally until he saw Esphyr walking near the front gates.

"Hey Esphyr!" he called out, happy to see his friend.

Luc Altair

The moment that Luc had been dreading had finally arrived. Tess was brought in front of him, and now it was time to utterly humiliate himself. "Yes, I do have experience in dancing," Luc held back the rest of the sentence. It would be clear soon enough. "My apologies if my left hand feels... off. An old wound afflicts it that has never been healed properly," Luc informed Tessa. Luc took Tessa's hand, desired that somehow he might not make a fool of himself, and then and went and made a fool of himself by overstepping so badly he nearly dragged the both of them down. I knew that would happen, Luc thought. "More apologies, Dame Tessa."

Isotov

Iso: Shouldn't we be changing into our outfits? I mean preparations and all.

Irina

Irina went to the seamstresses to try on the red dress hoping to see where adjustments needed to be made, and luckily there were only a few. While she watched them make simple yet highly effective modifications to certain areas, she thought to herself.

Irina: (Nervousness. Darn it. I don't want to be nervous but how am I supposed to calm down if I don't even know who I'm going with? Would I even look pretty in a dress?)

As Esphyr fled through the town, Altion keeping his distance, she made no motion to glance to either side. She seemed determined to escape from the town and find some hidden place. Weaving in and out of people, she even had an advantage on Altion at first. That is, until, "Hey! You're that wife from before!" Altion bit his lip in worry as the voice of one of the guardsmen whom he had convinced that Esphyr was his wife suddenly spoke up. Then, with his companion, the two came up to confront Esphyr. "Yes. The one who left the kitchen." he confirmed before extending his hand towards her. "Here. Follow me and we will get you back home before your husband beats two black eyes into you."

"Get your hands away from me you swine." Esphyr's response was simple, both in worth and in the sheer venom it dripped as she slapped his hand away from her.

Seeing Esphyr run, Alferis followed behind, careful to track her while keeping a good distance. He also saw Altion follow after her, also keeping back. Two guards rushed towards Esphyr, saying something he couldn't hear and saw Esphyr smack one of their hands away.

Great way to handle it Esphyr. He rushed towards her and stood right next to her and faced the guard.

"What's the problem here?"

Isotov

Iso: You're already changed? ... ehhh.

He was once again reminded of his blindness and hung his head while sighing. As she brought the clothes for him he accepted them, but was a bit surprised by how ... expensive they felt.

Iso: Urgh, it's incredibly annoying to be blind. I can't even give you an honest opinion on how you look. I'm hoping Charlotte wasn't wrong about you in a dress. ... um ... right, anyway. What are you wearing?

"Earlier this woman's husband dragged her home because she left the kitchen." explained the first guard. "We're just-"

"That pig-headed olf Altion lied and said I was his wife and dragged me back to the group earlier. Now they think I'm his punching bag and are trying to act like big damned hero's and take me home." hissed Esphyr.

"I'm not a olf!" called out Altion. "Pig-headed, yes. Olf no."

"Great. Now he's here as well."

"Why in the hell are you running away? And why is he saying that you're his wife? This is stupid. C'mon Esphyr, let's head back," said Alferis :facepalm: ing at what was going on.

Edited by Dark Sage