Seth all-mighty

This is a small rant ^_^. I get the feeling Seth is being given too much credit sometimes ^^' and I doubt Seth soloing this game is the fastest and most efficient way to play it. I'm sure other characters are raised and used along with him and therefore not all credit belongs to him.

He has terrain issues on chapter 14 (and 15A he can take advantage of warp indoors)), and I'd like to see how he can finish both sides of the map in an effiecient amount of turns because if he had assistance it would most likely finish faster. Any of the fliers or staff users that can warp are just important as he is unless he can magically rewarp himself to places. Chapters like chapter 7, 9A, 10A, 18 and 20 can definitely take advantage of ferrying to finish in x amount of turns. (and maybe 13A and 10B). Its like the Jill/Tauro trick in 1-6-2 in RD its unfair to give all the credit to Jill because Tauro gets the kill but its unfair to give Tauro the credit because Jill got him there on time in the first place.

He'd definitely need assistance in routing maps if we want to finish them quicker. Unless he can magically solo maps like chapter 13B in a certain amount of turns. I can safely say he has really good competition on chapter 18 because he can't fly to all the gorgon eggs. Seth isn't the only automatic fixable god here either, apparantly Duessel is easy to fix (at least on Ephraim mode).

No i'm not saying Seth sucks, in fact he's really really good that he does deserve his own tier because he hardly has any flaws. However I just feel like the attitudes with Seth-skipping make it seem as if Seth is the only one who does everything always when infact he'd require assistance from others sometimes. Then theres the fact that there are others around him early enough that contribute and grow quite nicely as well. Or am I somehow perceiving the claims wrongly?

Edited by Queen_Elincia

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like Seth will need a threesome support with Eirika (A) and Franz (B) for that delicious Light affinity and watch him go... XDD

He simply laughs at enemies with two light supports, and critblickin' some ass too! I like the fact that Seth WTFPWNS and RAEPFACES everything in sight, but still you're gonna need your healers, just to be safe...

This thread might summon Lumi and the Seth cultists...

This is a small rant ^_^. I get the feeling Seth is being given too much credit sometimes ^^' and I doubt Seth soloing this game is the fastest and most efficient way to play it. I'm sure other characters are raised and used along with him and therefore not all credit belongs to him.

Well, yeah. Obviously he can't take on a big Rout map by himself.

He has terrain issues on chapter 14 (and 15A he can take advantage of warp indoors)), and I'd like to see how he can finish both sides of the map in an effiecient amount of turns because if he had assistance it would most likely finish faster. Any of the fliers or staff users that can warp are just important as he is unless he can magically rewarp himself to places. Chapters like chapter 7, 9A, 10A, 18 and 20 can definitely take advantage of ferrying to finish in x amount of turns. (and maybe 13A and 10B). Its like the Jill/Tauro trick in 1-6-2 in RD its unfair to give all the credit to Jill because Tauro gets the kill but its unfair to give Tauro the credit because Jill got him there on time in the first place.

If you look at dondon's tier list, you'll notice that fliers and staff users are in A Tier, which is just below Seth's tier.

He'd definitely need assistance in routing maps if we want to finish them quicker. Unless he can magically solo maps like chapter 13B in a certain amount of turns. I can safely say he has really good competition on chapter 18 because he can't fly to all the gorgon eggs. Seth isn't the only automatic fixable god here either, apparantly Duessel is easy to fix (at least on Ephraim mode).

Gerik, Cormag, Innes, Saleh, and Franz can all help out as well. Gerik and Cormag join on the cusp of promotion and have great base stats. You also have Artur if you bothered to train him.

No i'm not saying Seth sucks, in fact he's really really good that he does deserve his own tier because he hardly has any flaws. However I just feel like the attitudes with Seth-skipping make it seem as if Seth is the only one who does everything always when infact he'd require assistance from others sometimes. Then theres the fact that there are others around him early enough that contribute and grow quite nicely as well. Or am I somehow perceiving the claims wrongly?

Lumi might prefer to use Seth only, but I think even she admitted that he can't do everything on his own, at least not as fast as other units.

This is a small rant ^_^.

That smiley at the end of that sentence gave me a bit of an awkward feeling...like it didn't really fit.

Or am I somehow perceiving the claims wrongly?

Probably. I don't think I've ever seen anyone seriously say that Seth solos the whole game in any kind of efficient run. When people refer to Seth "soloing" I think they really just mean he gets used a lot because he's so damn good.

Seth is only one unit. You would need everyone to help to finish rout maps quickly, not just Seth only. It's mostly because Seth can most likely clear a path by himself and let everyone else go on the other way. Basically Seth does lots of the grunt work by himself, while people like Franz can't handle going on his own without back-up.

That smiley at the end of that sentence gave me a bit of an awkward feeling...like it didn't really fit.

Really? I felt very comfortable seeing it. Like it was serious, but in cheerful way. It brought a warm feeling in my heart that a person would rant so calmly.^_^

Seth Solo is of course inefficient with routs, but it's amazing what he can do outside of those rout maps.

Edited by Tyranel M

I was curious how everyone seemed to worship Seth and I wasn't understanding exactly why. So he's just the big guy who does majority of the hard work but not all of it ^^'. However a bunch of his praise as I understand correctly is because he's pretty much ready to use and effort free right? I'm so mean to the jeigan archetype

@Fox sorry I tend to overuse that smiley :sweatdrop:

Edited by Queen_Elincia

Lumi might prefer to use Seth only, but I think even she admitted that he can't do everything on his own, at least not as fast as other units.

Pretty much. I did do a complete HM Sethsolo with a fairly average Seth and all the statboosters in the game, so soloing the game by himself is actually possible and not too difficult, but it did take longer than the average playthrough of mine.

I did give him Eir A, but that comes from him having to rescue her about 50-60% of the time due to her piss-poor durability at base level, especially later on.

I'll also admit that Seth got a lucky 4% critical on Demon King that ensured him a 2RKO rather than me having to use Tethys (I did actually deploy her just in case, but it wasn't necessary on my HM solorun) for a two-turn 3RKO, but otherwise he wouldn't have been able to do it. Seth can, however, cleanly and perfectly two-round DK if he had his average STR+one energy ring, Eir A Franz B or the reverse, and Audhulma, since he's only two mt off when I did it with just Eir A.

On more efficient runs, like what other people stated, Seth basically cleaves his way through and everybody cleans up after him. And honestly, on my Jehanna run on HM, Eirika can't stop dying in the first few chapters. I blame that on RNG issues, though, since she keeps on getting hit by <25% hit rates (earlygame, too, before the rule of large numbers takes place) which is around 6.25% true for just getting hit once, but after a while I gave up and just used Seth to meatshield without any weapons. Even without any weapons he's insanely useful.

And Frostbite, I think I'm the only legit full-on Seth fangirl here, lol. Other people just acknowledge his net contributions to the team as being the best in the game. But even then, outside of FFtF and the more fanbase-oriented topics in General FE, my talk of Seth is more based on statistical facts rather than how hot I think he is.

Edited by Luminescent Blade

Even though I don't care for Seth, I have to acknowledge that he is the best character in the game. He doesn't take any effort to make into a god, unlike Ross, Ewan, or Amelia. He doesn't take any damage in chapters 1~8, and can clear them WHILE carrying your lord. Since Mid game is easier than the start, there isn't to much more to say. The rout maps can be a pain, but, they don't take that long.

I feel like that midgame is usually the easiest of any of the FE's, really. It's when your team's growths start to really kick in and the enemies haven't gotten ridiculous capped stats (at least only in FE6 HM, HHM F!Druids in Cog of Destiny, all of Lunatic lategame) yet. The earlygame is when you separate your goods from the bad, but the middle part is when the goods become really good.

Like when I played FE6 HM for the first time, I was raging at the cavs on Rutger's chapter because nobody besides Dieck and Marcus can hit reliably with substantial damage. Lance got STR screwed and did 5 damage, and Alan got doubled by sword cavs (the became good again, however, on the next chapter where I had them go swords on bandits). Don't get me started on Fighters. I never liked fighters much anyway... but after chapter 6, say, half of my permanent team is established and the game didn't feel as hard as it was... and then there's those capped guys near the end. Funtimes.

And then everyone got owned by Rutger and game over. Well, not really, but it was annoying getting him.

Really? I felt very comfortable seeing it. Like it was serious, but in cheerful way. It brought a warm feeling in my heart that a person would rant so calmly.^_^

Which is why it was one of the more pleasant rants to read, other than the more ugly rants other people make. YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE.

As for Seth, even a paladin hater like me can't ignore just how useful he is. It is funny how you can send him into the middle of a map, blink, and then wonder where all the enemies went. He can run into some problems though, like if his spd becomes unreliable, he'll run into doubling issues, but I don't think that happens often. FE8 is easy enough that any character can become a god, but Seth is pretty much one from the get-go and takes no effort.

Edited by Lucius~

Which is why it was one of the more pleasant rants to read, other than the more ugly rants other people make. YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE.

I agree. By sounding more open, the discussions don't get as heated, flame wars don't start, and character debates remain civil.

Anyways, to be on topic, it's always been my belief that no matter how strong a unit may be, it's never a good idea to have them fight alone. Unless you've got an absolutely fool-proof plan like peak fighting berserkers or Draug on a fort killing all the chapter 10 reinforcements (guilty of the latter, but I at least distribute all the other kills in that chapter). But as other people said, there's no way a unit can be in two places at once, which is why it's always a good idea to have multiple strong units.

Regarding Seth specifically, I've only heavily levelled him in one of my playthroughs (in Creature Campaign) so I wouldn't really know if Seth soloing is safe or not.

I think Queen Elincia is incapable of being unpleasant.

Seth... well, yeah, there's not much to say that hasn't been said. He's incredible. Later on he's joined by other great units who help him do the few things he can't do on his own, like Duessel, Saleh, Syrene, and really anyone you end up promoting. Then Audhulma comes along to give him a boost. There's really nothing negative you can pin on him.

I agree with Elincia. Seth is an excellent unit and extremely useful, but i think in unison with other units (and Eirika's support) hes much more awesome than he is alone. Early game, yeah, he can solo like everything, but later on, hes gonna need a little bit of help. When i play, he gets deployed on every map of the main game.

I agree with Elincia. Seth is an excellent unit and extremely useful, but i think in unison with other units (and Eirika's support) hes much more awesome than he is alone. Early game, yeah, he can solo like everything, but later on, hes gonna need a little bit of help. When i play, he gets deployed on every map of the main game.

This alone makes up one half the reason why SethxEirika is my OTP, actually, in contrast to most fangirls wanting to kill the canon pair of their object of passion.

That +3 ATK/DEF is pretty sexy.

The other half of the reasoning is storyline.

I think Queen Elincia is incapable of being unpleasant.

Seth... well, yeah, there's not much to say that hasn't been said. He's incredible. Later on he's joined by other great units who help him do the few things he can't do on his own, like Duessel, Saleh, Syrene, and really anyone you end up promoting. Then Audhulma comes along to give him a boost. There's really nothing negative you can pin on him.

Thank you thats really nice :) I appreciate it.

I actually would of liked if there was something bad about Seth ^^' because he's one of the reasons this game is so easy imo. He definetely simplies alot if hes being used, and I know thats the point of jeigans ^_^ but its kind of funny because this is among the easiest Fire Emblem games and it has one of the best jeigans ever. It makes no sense to me ^^' but thats imo. :3 I still love Seth and Seth x Eirika is such a lovely love story ^_^.

I also know there is another archetype in which Seth actually belongs to but I call it jeigan because thats how i remember it ^^'.

Edited by Queen_Elincia

Seth is somebody that you can stick in any GBA FE setting and expect to be very useful, though, based on his growths. We'll compare him to Marcus, because Marcus is cool and badass and manly too. Unlike Marcus, Seth has very good growths--in fact, better total growths than many tier one's at 320 total growth points. Now take a look at Marcus. I found FE7 Marcus to be quite usable even towards the end of HHM, handed him some Killer Axes on VoD and he kicked ass. FE6 Marcus, with lower bases than his younger self, was still one of my best units until Percival arrived in all his pimped-out HM-bonused glory. Now if we put Seth, with good bases and growths (epic growths for a GBA prepromote, in fact) into those games, those games will instantly become easier.

Thus, Seth makes games easier by existing.

The only thing "bad" is that he can't use Axes and thus have no Garm access. If he had that, any speed issues he may have is instantly gone. He can also cleanly 2RKO HM DK with only Eir A instead of Eir A Franz B.

Which would be awesome.

But Audhulma is good enough already.

I agree, Seth + other units equals more than just Seth!!

The only thing "bad" is that he can't use Axes and thus have no Garm access. If he had that, any speed issues he may have is instantly gone. He can also cleanly 2RKO HM DK with only Eir A instead of Eir A Franz B.

He'd also be able to use a Swordreaver or Swordslayer against Carlyle, and the Halberd on Beran. But aside from that, Seth has no real problem 2HKOing most enemies with just lances.

Edited by Mr. Know-it-all-Anouleth

This alone makes up one half the reason why SethxEirika is my OTP, actually, in contrast to most fangirls wanting to kill the canon pair of their object of passion.

That +3 ATK/DEF is pretty sexy.

The other half of the reasoning is storyline.

:) Indeed. I love pairing up people in that game the most out of all the FE games i have. SethxEirika is one of my favorites. Not only is that support pretty easy to build, but its got a cute ending and it makes sense. InnesxEirika? Yeah no. Hes an asshole and Seth has a better affinity.

Seth using axes? Good lord he would be even more broken than he already is!

The problem with InnesXEirika and SethXEirika is that both deserve better. SethXEirika is powerful as hell, 'though.

AxeSeth would make me weep with joy.

Edited by Grimsworth of Natal

• 3 months later...

The Best character Is ROSS, train him up and he owns everything, but not the most efficient way to play :)

If you have the time Max him out, trust me completely worth it.

Seth is Over Powered, its just how they made the game, but I think it's super fun not to use him, I played the game using him as little as posible,

Now thats a challenge.

The Best character Is ROSS, train him up and he owns everything, but not the most efficient way to play :)

If you have the time Max him out, trust me completely worth it.

Seth is Over Powered, its just how they made the game, but I think it's super fun not to use him, I played the game using him as little as posible,

Now thats a challenge.

Completing the game efficiently without Seth isn't difficult. Just take a look at the FE8 drafts; He's banned in every one.