WTF is up with the release date?

Unlike Mother 3, a huge chunk of the text is alreddy translated via FE3's fan translation. MU related stuff, the prologue, new MU gaidens and extra characters are a tiny amount of text comparatively, with the support conversations being larger, but still nowhere near the text of Mother 3.

I believe the one in charge of the translation project stated they are going to translate it from scratch, though.

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far, until this past demo, all the work they shown was lifted or made up ('Chris' was apparently impossible to translate for the longest time and was called Player instead). The only dialogue which apparently is now translated from scratch was that opening of the Prologue. That doesn't bode well for bragging "it's all from scratch."

:newyears:

Edited by Celice

So far, until this past demo, all the work they shown was lifted or made up ('Chris' was apparently impossible to translate for the longest time and was called Player instead). The only dialogue which apparently is now translated from scratch was that opening of the Prologue. That doesn't bode well for bragging "it's all from scratch."

:newyears:

The first part was because Blazer was doing a one man job without the proper tools.

I have no idea what you mean in the second part o__o

For those uninformed, the translation project wasn't meant to start until July 15th. I'm not sure whether I'm allowed to mention this, but work on the new patch started around the start of July, with everything done from scratch. This includes heated discussions and all manners of menus, a lot of which you haven't seen yet.

honestly who still cares that we won't "offically" get this game?

we'll all be playing the translation of it in afew months or so for free.

not our fault if nintendo doesn't want to take our money

As for why people should complain about not getting the official game, think of how many people are less likely to play the game because it's not available officially. There's also the fact that Nintendo aren't going to get as much (or any) money from this. If you're fine with waiting for the fan translation, that's OK heck, I'm working with team, but there's no need to sound so selfish : P

Edited by VincentASM

*looks at patches for all other Japan-only FE games*

Yeah.

since we have every other japanese only game patched i believe that this game will also get patched.

its not like the ace attourny fandom which took three years to translate case 1 of GS3.

also Vincent, yeah i was being abit selfish here, but thats how i see nintendo being with this whole "i'mma not giving u what u'd pay teh moneys 4 so haha >: D".

naturally i'm alittle pissed....but we'll get the game anyways

since we have every other japanese only game patched i believe that this game will also get patched.

its not like the ace attourny fandom which took three years to translate case 1 of GS3.

I think what was being referred to, though, is how complete Fire Emblem fan translations are a recent phenomenon.

Off the top of my head, the most "complete" ones are a FC Ankoku patch that just came out this year, a recent Gaiden patch that came out in 2009, and the SFC Monshou fan translation I remember working on debugging, and that was a bit -after- I started researching Satellaview stuff (which would also place it in the 2k8+ range); Speaking of which, the BS Fire Emblem ROMs have not even been touched in terms of fan translation yet (although with most of the dialog and plot not actually being in the ROM contents, I wouldn't be sure how people would work with that anyway.)

From my perspective, Seisen and Thracia, in spite of their popularity, have had their translations perpetually stuck at around the 90% range for as long as I remember checking out fan translations.

All of these over 15 years after the respective games came out. The only Fire Emblem that got a mostly-complete fan translation in a fast timeframe was Fuuin.

"Incomplete" isn't really a word for these translations however. Basically everything necessary to play and enjoy the game is in there. The only thing missing are small arbitrary things, things the player never sees, like unused or debug text, or text no one really cares about. It's not incomplete in the sense of the word--incomplete are the translations which are half-finished, barely started, proof-of-concepts. The Fire Emblem fan translations we have currently are nothing like that. We have projects which are essentially at that 0.90v mark. Not that 0.13v mark :/

The only incomplete patch I can think of that currently exists for the Fire Emblem franchise, which has no better, is the patch put out for FE11.

Edited by Celice

as one that has played every translated FE game but 5 i can say for a fact that those patches are basicly finished and fully playable to english readers.

and we will get this game translated in a few months.

I'm guessing you didn't play FE4 all the way to the end.

I'm guessing you didn't play FE4 all the way to the end.

Well, you could argue that FE4 is indeed fully playable, since the ending is something you just watch.

Not to mention the ending generator where you can read the ending.

As well, the actual translated script was available forevers ago. It just wasn't really inserted. All one had to do was manually go read what's what.

Since, you know, most people translate stuff, then deal with trying to force the text into the game :P

How the fuck is it nitpicking and bringing the community down to say a patch is not complete, or has problems, when the patch in fact is not complete and does indeed have problems?

"So what if the whole script isn't translated in the game? we've got that on the site."

How the fuck is it nitpicking and bringing the community down to say a patch is not complete, or has problems, when the patch in fact is not complete and does indeed have problems?

"So what if the whole script isn't translated in the game? we've got that on the site."

calm down good sir.

the ending not being in the same is an little thing considering we have that on this site and therefore we can just read it on there.

and besides if everything was fully translated then we wouldn't have this funny moment

I was wondering how will Wi-fi be with that patch... I do not know how this will be. Buggy, unable, banned or you will see other DS info in english?

I really care alot for wi-fi bcause it takes a lot of less time than doing Epic playthroughs.

Anyone has an Idea of this?

So long as the translators make sure to insert that text and test to make sure it's all functioning, it should be good. You'll have to arse whoever's testing to ensure it's all taken care of though.

No worries over being banned. Nothing is being transmitted that's been added in this translation patch. Text is all done on the user-side of things. This will mean that any Japanese players going against you are going to see whatever Japanese glyphs your text would have been before the translation rearranged the name-screen letters. Which is most likely to just be gibberish.

If everything goes as plan, assuming you can still connect via Wi-Fi, I think the only change is that you will be able to have English symbols in My Unit's name. Japanese players should still your My Unit's name properly, but it might make them suspicious since you can't have English symbols normally.

^ Pretty much this. Fan translations for other Super Famicom game series (And also some Megadrive games, and, hey, that GB "Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru patch) have evolved to an extent where they translate every fine detail, add in new fonts, and fix bugs that were originally in the Japanese product; as is, they're even higher in standards and quality than the official localizations of RPGs released when the SNES was an active game console.

While I'm not necessarily saying every FE game needs to push that far, having a translation that's both complete (With no signs of floating gibberish or inappropriate placeholder text) and debugged (at least to the point where any glitch you can find is something you have to go out of your way for) should be something that's pushed for more, in my opinion. This is part of why I went through helping to debug the Monshou no Nazo fan translation, since it seemed to be at a "So close" point, and just needed a little more nudging (and changing a few awkward-sounding lines.)

Now, when you think of Fire Emblem fan translations that match that standard, as opposed to the simpler "Fully playable" meaning (which doesn't really mean much if you play Fire Emblems for the plotline, as all that needs to be translated to make it playable are menus and items.), what matches that? Well, I haven't played Monshou fan translation lately so I'm not sure what's changed in it lately (Hopefully that intro's been fixed); I wanted to test that on real hardware. Hoping I'm getting a Powerpak soon, because the thing wouldn't load right on my Super UFO... oh, I should check it on the latest BSNES sometime... but, yeah, I'm rambling. Back to subject.

But, aye, that's why I specifically referred to the -very recent- Famicom FE translations earlier; they're a lot closer to matching what my standard would be. Maybe it was much easier for them for being, well, Famicom games?

From what I can see and a bit of experience, it seems the older the hardware the harder it is to hack those games and the more limitations that are imposed. However, you also have to consider that older games are more straightforward in design (for a lack of a better word), so I guess it kind of evens out.