WTF is up with the release date?

Well, I did put in the FE12 page in the Fire Emblem Wiki as "Unlike other recent Fire Emblem games, it is still unclear if this is still under in development for the English and the PAL release.". This is to make sure that people don't think that they think this game's Outside of Japan release is cancelled and makes sure that Translation takes time when it will be done soon possibly sometime around in 2011 or 2012.

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nintendo of Europe and Nintendo of America are two entirely separate entities. They usually operate independently, and localization is not interchanged between the two. Even though it would save a lot of time in English translation. You have to remember that NoE has more than just 'English' to localize under.

"Unlike other recent Fire Emblem games, it is still unclear if this is still under in development for the English and the PAL release.

'There are currently no known plans for localization at this time.' is generally what most places use, partially because it's unbiased and does not suggest that it may or may not be localized.

Edited by Celice

Nintendo of Europe and Nintendo of America are two entirely separate entities. They usually operate independently, and localization is not interchanged between the two. Even though it would save a lot of time in English translation. You have to remember that NoE has more than just 'English' to localize under.

NoA has started adding Spanish, French, and sometimes Portuguese language translations to some of their games since the early DS years, though. It's just that most of the time people don't notice this option since it's locked to the language you have set for your console. For example, if you play Mario Galaxy on a Wii with the menu set to Spanish, the game will play in Spanish by default with no option to change it in-game. Twilight Princess was also English-only in the original GC/Wii release, but the Nintendo Selects version has translated scripts.

An interesting case is Advance Wars: Days of Ruin. The American and European English versions are completely different from each other, changing several character names and plot points. However, the Spanish and French versions in the American release are the exact same as in the European version. This actually means that, provided that you know English and either Spanish or French, you can actually compare the American and European scripts owning only the American release of AW: DoR!

Recently they've started adding dubbed voice acting as well. Kirby's Epic Yarn being the first, and the upcoming Star Fox 64 3D being the second.

I was really stunned to hear spoken french when I first played Kirby's Epic Yarn! I think Nintendo's stance is interesting for non-english markets, allowing a lot more people to understand the plot. Unfortunately, right now, the games being fully translated in french/spanish are the ones that depend less on text... I mean, playing Kirby without understanding what they say is not complicated, but playing Zelda is another matter.

Interesting fact: unless I'm mistaken, the first console games to have been translated into french are Kirby's Dream Land on the GB, followed by Kirby's Adventures on the NES, making Kirby the first language friendly character on consoles. (I think the weird Mario is Missing on the NES was also translated) Computer games, on the other hand, were more often translated into french, probably because it was easier to do so on a computer.

Anyway, I like this new trend and I applaud Nintendo's effort in that domain.

Truthfully, don't expect an official release of the game in the U.S.; as much as I would love to see it its simply too late in the DS lifespan for that to be possible.

Instead I'd say wait for the translation project to finish up, it'll take some time but patience is key whenever an official English release doesn't come out.

I wonder if they were busy with a combination of Kirby's Epic Yarn and 3DS in the states at the point where they could've started localization if not for Ninty being so short on workers, meaning they had to single one game out to conserve manpower, but by the time significant amounts of workers became open, they found out that the DSi was running short on time left in lifecycle due to 3DS, so they decided to not localize it thinking "this is not a way to ensure that the DSi goes out with a bang, as this game is not an American hardcore sales magnet that could milk what's left of the DSi, with the handheld's fate uncertain with the 3DS out, with the DSi's D/C date dependent on when sales drop with demand, but while we wait for a perfect time to D/C it, we must milk what's left of it by making hardcore titles with less-than-normal frequency, and even if it's still selling, this game will milk it too much and will certainly make the DSi go out with a whimper"...

^ Given the above, with the uncertainty of the DSi's lifespan, maybe by the time their hands were untied in terms of how many projects they have to work on, Nintendo thought the DSi is near its deathbed, and doesn't want to waste development money by trying to localize Fire Emblem 12 when they don't know when demand for its intended platform will fall along with its sales, so I assume they don't want to be caught by surprise, in case the DSi's demand and sales fall far enough for Ninty to pull the DSi out of the shelves...

^ Of course, it's just my opinion, and I don't believe that it is a fact, when there could be many reasons why no localization of FE12 is happening at this time...

Edited by shadowjam

FE13 has been announced. So any hope I had for this game's release is now gone.

You know, FE8 was announced after FE9. That didn't make everyone suddenly believe FE9 was canceled.

Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2 Professional version was also released before the U.S. even got the first version--again, didn't stop the first from getting localized. The new Fire Emblem is still in development, and isn't attached to localizing FE3DS in Europe/North America. Things can happen irregardless of other things~

The original one was a full game, but it was rather short and lack-luster (much like the GameBoy ones). A Professional version was released which tweaked basically all the monsters, added in a bunch of things, and included new events and a new dungeon I think. It was essentially a 1.5 version of the game.

I didn't find it a bad thing at all, any more than a nice big update patch for a game.

Edited by Celice

• 2 weeks later...

Also, the Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box's US release was released after the Professor Layton and the Unwound Future's Japanese release.

Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box

• JP - November 29, 2007
  • NA - August 24, 2009
  • EU - September 25, 2009
  • AUS - September 24, 2009

Professor Layton and the Unwound Future

• JP - November 27, 2008
  • NA - September 12, 2010
  • EU - October 22, 2010
  • AUS - October 21, 2010

Edited by King Marth 64

• 5 weeks later...

I contacted corporate and got an actual reply rather than a template.

Hello Josef.

I'm glad you contacted us about your interest in the Fire Emblem series. At this time, we haven't announced any plans for a release here in the Americas.

While I’m unable to offer a specific reason regarding this title, there are many reasons that Nintendo or any other publisher may decide to release a game in one market, but not another. These can include difficulty or cost of localization, the size and financial strength of the publisher, the size of the distribution network, and (most often) the idea that the game will simply not be accepted or enjoyed in another market.

However, there are (like you) real fans of those games or franchises in this market who would love nothing more than to see these games on store shelves here. I understand (and sometimes even share) your frustration! Having said that, please understand that those fans may constitute too small a portion of the gaming public to justify the costs associated with bringing a game here.

Of course, you never know what the future holds, as evidenced by the appearance in this market of previously Japan-only franchises like Advance Wars and Fire Emblem. Keep an eye on our website (http://www.nintendo.com) for all the latest news as it becomes available.

In addition, there is no way to bypass the region lock for the Nintendo 3DS or the Nintendo DSi.

Sincerely,

Nintendo of America Inc.

Still lost hope :(

Edited by JosefLior