WTF is up with the release date?

Older games tend to have stupidly complex ways of dealing with storing data in comparison with newer games. But it depends. Kirby's Adventure on the NES has five different levels of encoding smushing the level data in. That's compression being compressed being compressed being compressed. It was kinda stupid. The text in the original Fire Emblem had this wonky pointer verification thinger I never understood, where it was almost like the game checked to make sure a specific letter was at a specific point all throughout the text, so that if you change the text, you also have to find these verification pointers and modify them too to match your script changes.

FE2 has nothing. It's just text. But then, repointing and modifying how text loads is also a pain, especially since expansion of data ranges tends to be limited by the mapper that the game uses. Newer games didn't have to deal with such stuff.

Most what gets in the way, overall, is how the developers chose to store their data. As newer generations of systems came out, there was a lot more room for developers to just drop stuff into. There wasn't as much need to squeeze out space or make efficient choices in their code. This laxness makes the newer stuff easier to change, is all.

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And if you played FE1 (or 11), you'd know there is almost noting TO translate.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. Just because FE11 (And also FE3 with the fan translation) is in English doesn't mean there's nothing to translate in FE1 on the Famicom. The original game has a fairly different characterization of Marth (and some other characters, assuming they even have characterization in that version. :P ), completely different gameplay mechanics (Some of the differences already mentioned or assumed to be already known), and some subtleties that didn't get carried over into latter versions (Marth has some unique battle animations in this game that are not in any of the others, for example.). FE1 is about as text-heavy as any other Famicom RPG translation that has been done.

So, the other game I want translated right now is Valkyria Chronicles 3. I looked it up to see if there was any news, and people were talking about a few different companies (Atlus, XSeed, and NISA, I think) translating it instead of Sega. Could something similar happen with FE12 if the fans pushed?

XSeed is the best bet, as they operate on both fan interest and profit interest. Those other two pander to sales and series mostly.

But considering Fire Emblem is one of Nintendo's babies, no way in hell unless Nintendo goes to them for the help.

Game Center CX2 first plz D:

XSeed is the best bet, as they operate on both fan interest and profit interest. Those other two pander to sales and series mostly.

But considering Fire Emblem is one of Nintendo's babies, no way in hell unless Nintendo goes to them for the help.

Game Center CX2 first plz D:

As much as I wouldn't mind that XSeed or the other companies picking up this game, I know it won't happen. I tried to ask XSeed a few weeks ago about the possibility of them localizing the game, and the reply I got more or less said that even if they want to localize it (or any Nintendo 1st party games), they wouldn't be able to.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. Just because FE11 (And also FE3 with the fan translation) is in English doesn't mean there's nothing to translate in FE1 on the Famicom. The original game has a fairly different characterization of Marth (and some other characters, assuming they even have characterization in that version. :P ), completely different gameplay mechanics (Some of the differences already mentioned or assumed to be already known), and some subtleties that didn't get carried over into latter versions (Marth has some unique battle animations in this game that are not in any of the others, for example.). FE1 is about as text-heavy as any other Famicom RPG translation that has been done.

I was just joking that FE1 is very story light compared to future games.

This is making me supremely sad and I wish there were something I could do about it.... but alas... the last of the hope that it'll be released is drying up very quickly.

There's still the Nintendo 10/10 Press Conference. However, I'd consider that the very, -very- last chance aside from a completely unceremonious release.

It depends on your view of an announcement. Most of the time, the only time there's a large announcement, it's if Nintendo's trying to push sales for the coming year. Which is usually what e3 is all about for most western gamers. There's other shows throughout the year too, but generally Nintendo sticks to what they want seen and do a new round-up the next year.

You can also find release information that isn't blared out to fans of various titles. Fire Emblem probably isn't going to be one of these casual titles--and it's not going to be a push as a system-seller. You'd probably see that announced on the side-lines at some point, and detailed at some conference like TGS or whatevers.

Looking through these forums, SD's American release was announced around 2nd October 2008, while the European release was announced around 8th October.

The game was first revealed at Nintendo's fall conference, which took place a year ago on 9th October 2007.

So I guess October 2011 wouldn't be a bad time to watch.

Hell no there is so much demand for this game in English! Even if the game does get announced, I doubt it, there will still be a few months until it is actually released. So there is still about half a year or so. Now get back to work! lol. I really appreciate what you guys are doing, just so you know. :)

Edited by JosefLior

Yes, if it were announced for an NoA release we'd quit as soon as we got the word and shut down all remnants of the fan translation. We don't want to interfere with Nintendo's business, we'd prefer they did these translations themselves, it's because they don't that we have to take up arms... or should I say "take up hex editors"... XD

But Nintendo might bail out on us and just cancel the release at any moment as well. So maybe putting the translation to a halt and when the game is finally released to discard everything would be safer.