Fire Emblem: Dream of Five

AstraLunaSol

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not necessarily that it needs to be difficult it's just that usually IS found some weird or annoying method of inserting stuff, which makes it difficult :/ For example, why couldn't battle frames just be one solid image instead of a bunch of tiles. Goddammit.

Wouldn't it just be regular graphics insertion? Although it's probably in a shitload of little pieces or something...

i dunno but i think yeti found something weird about it

It's not necessarily that it needs to be difficult it's just that usually IS found some weird or annoying method of inserting stuff, which makes it difficult :/ For example, why couldn't battle frames just be one solid image instead of a bunch of tiles. Goddammit.

probably because there's only so much space available for OAM at a time.

it's also possible that the IS programmers were less than optimal with space/time allocation (the fact that I, a novice self-taught asm programmer, was able to write a better implementation of one of their routines proves this to be within the realm of possibility) and just slapdashed the parts together as they were finished.

why couldn't battle frames just be one solid image instead of a bunch of tiles. Goddammit.

because save space and tsa everything is the way to go

Anyway the world map is just weird.

http://puu.sh/dQiU

If you want to look at it.

574A10 = Graphics Location (ty yeti)

I don't seem to have the palette for it.

fuck saving space. save lots of time instead >_>

Hmm that is odd. Looks to me like it very probably has multiple palettes like in actual map tiles? Just my initial impression, though, could be any number of random things...

after some preliminary work i have concluded that it's a massive clusterfuck this needs some debugging. stay tuned.

[spoiler=technical details]graphics start at 0x574A10 and end at 0x5CA610

image data is 343 tiles high and 32 tiles wide (0x157 and 0x20 respectively)

palette begins at 0x574990 (didn't look right in GBAGE until the palette index was increased to 1. the land and sea bits have separate palettes, as I thought)

needs debugging - almost every tile has it's own palette

as always, my take on things is in the doc

Edited by Camtech

guhhh, good luck Cammy :3

I fucking hate separate palettes.

IIRC, the statsheet did that, too; you had to go to Palette 1 before it looked right.

I'm not entirely sure what's up, but from what I can tell there's a weird kind of magic data structure (similar to TSA, but it's not the same- I actually tried to apply it so i know for a fact that it isn't).

Yeti showed me some of his notes, but it isn't really enough to figure out the nuts and bolts until I can debug.

Hopefully, if this works out, I can apply this knowledge to the statsheet.

Umm, when you guys say "Dream of Five", what kind of "dream" are we talking about? Because if you guys mean like... an ideal...then 夢 is wrong.

Also I see that storage still isn't available at that point, NOOOOOOOOO

Edited by Agro

DreamOfFive_01-5.png

It's definitely available at that point.

Then what was with the "Choose which item to discard" thing?!

Umm, when you guys say "Dream of Five", what kind of "dream" are we talking about? Because if you guys mean like... an ideal...then 夢 is wrong.

Ask him. He's the one in charge of this thing.

I'd say think of it like how Japanese games have ENGRISH in them.

Like TearRing Saga's "Dark Load" instead of "Dark Lord".

Ask him. He's the one in charge of this thing.

I'd say think of it like how Japanese games have ENGRISH in them.

Like TearRing Saga's "Dark Load" instead of "Dark Lord".

It's one thing to phonetically mistake a spelling--it's an entirely other to mistake the meaning altogether :/