How to say "Rienfleche"

Aleph

How do you pronounce Reinfleche then?

On topic: I've always said something that sounded like Ray-in-flesh slurred together.

No, it says how to say it in the first post.

リヤンフレチェ

"riyanfureche"

Ree-ya-n-foo-reh-che

Note that the romaji is NOT pronounced as English; you still follow the Japanese pronunciation rules.

That's what the third line is for - I rewrote it with English pronunciation in mind for people who don't know the Japanese pronunciation rules.

Feel free to read the "reh" as "leh".

Edited by Iehoua

I call it German, like most things. Ie is ee and ei is aye, so it's r-een-flech

Unless we're talking about Reinfleche, which is pronounced Luka.

Edited by Integrity

I call it German, like most things. Ie is ee and ei is aye, so it's r-een-flech

Unless we're talking about Reinfleche, which is pronounced Luka.

It's Lightning, silly.

No, it says how to say it in the first post.

リヤンフレチェ

"riyanfureche"

Ree-ya-n-foo-reh-che

Note that the romaji is NOT pronounced as English; you still follow the Japanese pronunciation rules.

That's what the third line is for - I rewrote it with English pronunciation in mind for people who don't know the Japanese pronunciation rules.

Feel free to read the "reh" as "leh".

You must understand that this is limited by the Japanese means of pronunciation, and is not necessarily how it will be pronounced in other languages. Hence the use of katakana as its name; it's a combination of two French words, and thus we must refer to their more proper means of saying the word. You would think it's silly if we were all to call Lightning "Rye-toe-neen-goo," for example, wouldn't you? Even if we were to try to do that, we would have to alter our means of saying each syllable to the means by which Japanese natives use them. "Rye" would sound somewhat like "dye", and the "goo" would be softer, not as stressed and held as a native English speaker would likely interpret it.

Edit: If we were to pronounce these katakana as English would regularly speak it, it would likely sound something like "Ree-ahn-fleh-chay," or "Ree-ahn-fleh-chuh."

Edited by Esau of Isaac