I hate mastery skills

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it.

As do I; much better than FE9's so-called "masteries" that were drearily underpowered, for the post part.

Edited by Metal King Slime

I like them as well, although, the side effects for some of them are kind of point-less. I mean, sleep on enemy after dead-eye? For what he's dead already. Stun paralyzes... again for what, they are dead.

I like them as well, although, the side effects for some of them are kind of point-less. I mean, sleep on enemy after dead-eye? For what he's dead already. Stun paralyzes... again for what, they are dead.

For cover Generals, clearly. And maybe Dragons.

For cover Generals, clearly. And maybe Dragons.

But then they can't attack you on enemy phase, which would help to clear it faster :<

The damage multipliers are what's stupid about them. Sol could've been without the 3x damage like in the SNES games and Stun should be more "utility-like", for example halving damage and dropping some accuracy in exchange for the enemy being stunned for a turn. But oh well, the game can be a pretty huge clusterfuck of mutant atomic supermen.

Edited by Sirius

Nerf the mastery skills (kinda like what Sirius is proposing), make the golden enemies have it.

While I'm at it, make them have normal skills too. Only a few bosses had skills in this game while skills on generic units were seen much more often in the SNES games. Some (very) lategame FE9 enemies also had them.

Everyone is now an FE6 berserker.

Do people actually like this?

Last I checked the Mastery Skill users didn't have shit ass accuracy most of the time.

On the other hand, their damage multiplier is a bit ridiculous for the majority of them.

Nerf the mastery skills (kinda like what Sirius is proposing), make the golden enemies have it.

I take it you wouldn't mind having half your team getting Astra'd/Deadeye'd/Whatever'd, then?

Do people actually like this?

I don't. IS could as well have called (almost) all the mastery skills in this game "Lethality with better activation rate".

Not really. Most of the enemies have ranged weapons as it is. And ranged attacks are useful just because they're able to attack from far away, regardless of enemy having skills.

But yeah, I'd hate the enemies having mastery skills. I mean, I'm somewhat annoyed that all the bosses had Nihil, since that's kind of annoying, but not sure some of them would be beatable if they could just mastery skill me.

And I love them, personally. It's a nice way to show how powerful you are. Certainly more fun than just regular attacks as well, and criticals are difficult to get unless you're a Swordmaster/Sentinel.

I mean, I'm somewhat annoyed that all the bosses had Nihil

Since when do The Black Knight, Dheginsea, Sephiran and Ashera couunt as 'all the bosses'?

Edited by NinjaMonkey

All the bosses as in the bosses you're actually likely to have a team capable with mastery skills regularly. I only had a handful of third tier characters most of the time until I got to the endgame. Plus those are the only bosses with enough HP to really take a mastery skill (well, maybe not Lehran, but still).

Herein lies the real balance flaw when IS changed the game to allow unlimited tier 3s in the localisation, instead of the 3? you could have in the Japanese version.

Not really. Most of the enemies have ranged weapons as it is. And ranged attacks are useful just because they're able to attack from far away, regardless of enemy having skills.

But yeah, I'd hate the enemies having mastery skills. I mean, I'm somewhat annoyed that all the bosses had Nihil, since that's kind of annoying, but not sure some of them would be beatable if they could just mastery skill me.

And I love them, personally. It's a nice way to show how powerful you are. Certainly more fun than just regular attacks as well, and criticals are difficult to get unless you're a Swordmaster/Sentinel.

Not really. Even then, non-Mage/Bow masteries can't activate at range.

What? Lekain, Levail, Dheggy, and Sephiran have masteries, and Dheg is the only one that posses something of a threat with it. (Izuka might even have one, and we all know how threatening he is.)

We don't need Masteries to know that Naesala, Tibarn, and Ike are stupidly powerful.

It was a bit less over powered when it wasn't possible for everyone to promote to third-tier by default. They originally had a limited number of items to let you promote.

In the localization, this restriction was removed, allowing everyone to become overpowered machines rather than specific favorites.

It was a bit less over powered when it wasn't possible for everyone to promote to third-tier by default. They originally had a limited number of items to let you promote.

In the localization, this restriction was removed, allowing everyone to become overpowered machines rather than specific favorites.

This is not new information. It should be noted that the localization also removed a lot of Master Crowns. I recall looking into it before and determining that it probably doesn't make much difference in the end as long as you don't randomly promote a unit like Sigrun who you don't really plan to use extensively.

Edited by Red Fox of Fire

While I'm at it, make them have normal skills too. Only a few bosses had skills in this game while skills on generic units were seen much more often in the SNES games. Some (very) lategame FE9 enemies also had them.

Sure, let's do that on HM. Cause not only will you be facing overwhelming majorities all throughout the game, they will also have stats similar to your units! And guess what? Now they have their skills, too!

I think if they had it at like 1.5x might it would be useful. With 3x, it's literally just another Critical, with possible side effect. The only useful ones are Sol, Aether(because of Sol), Flare(because it's Sol+Luna for ArchSages)...yeah thats about it. It is rather ridiculous.