Fire Emblem: A Sacred Dawn DX

Mage Knight 404

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, Just my opinion but i found it kind of boring how in the Original Sacred Dawn, You and Linoan Died in the very first chapter, Just like Fado in the Sacred Stones.

It would be sort of cool if you could be recruited for endgame and all that, Maybe some epic battle quotes for yourself. I like the fact that Julie is going through a lot (In real life and mentally). You also give weapons very unique names. Will a harder difficulty be in the works once the Original ASDDX is done (I like a challenge, I am playing Maniac Mode on FE12blink.gif). I also liked what you did in Chapter 3 with the Renais army!

Anyways, Good luck with your hack!

The one thing I love about this hack that has improved from both FE404 and the original ASD is the quality of writing. Despite using the FE8 Grado-and-Renais-go-to-war story, you made it much more original and interesting. Not to mention the characters aren't bound by the original events of FE8 anymore, so they can have conversations like the ones they are having. Not only that, they're real people who have real problems. Julie's becoming one of my favorites so far (in the original not so much, she lacked a lot of development that she has here), she's really well-written. Winston is my favorite though, I hope you have some good plans for him. Keep up the good work :)

He was the boss of the first chapter and there's been a decent amount of dialogue involving him, throwing him away now would be pointless and amateurish.

Or anyone else, for that matter(Winston especially since he was basically promoted to playable because I liked his character enough). I don't intend to leave any character behind in the main plot. I want this story to be more about the characters than the plot.

Or anyone else, for that matter(Winston especially since he was basically promoted to playable because I liked his character enough). I don't intend to leave any character behind in the main plot. I want this story to be more about the characters than the plot.

I agree, and it shows. The plot is fairly similar to FE8's basic structure (I assume that will change with time) but the characters themselves are really driving the story forward.

I think it would be great for his character overall if he got into a relationship with some characters in the party (friendly relationship and/or more than that. Both are great for him) I kind of see him potentially becoming close to Julie actually, either as a friend/brother/uncle/etc. or maybe a bit more.

To be blunt, i'd be more enthusiastic about these characters if these early chapters did not consist of 15-20 consecutive minutes of slow paced dialogue followed by much less of gameplay. A balance needs to be struck.

Edited by Rambo M

To be blunt, i'd be more enthusiastic about these characters if these early chapters did not consist of 15-20 consecutive minutes of slow paced dialogue followed by much less of gameplay. A balance needs to be struck.

I was expecting this complaint the moment I thought to take this road. I know not everyone likes reading stacks of dialogue in between segments of short gameplay(I'm like this myself), nor does everyone like skipping cutscenes. To be frank, there's not a whole much I can do, since the characters need to be established proper. If I were a much better writer, I could maybe learn how to execute this better, but I'm not and so I deal.

The start button (or B button if you don't like missing the entire conversation) exists for a reason.

The start button (or B button) doesn't elongate the length of gameplay. Unless MageKnight has some magical new code which dynamically loads more complex and detailed maps and gameplay at the expense of skipping text.

Edited by Celice

With how well you've done chapters so far, are a fair amount going to have a nice little gimmick to them? I find that maps that have objectives that aren't simply 'Cut all organic matter in the direction' are pretty fun.

ASD now has a new title. Fire Emblem: The Visual Novel.

I personally like the direction he's taking. Fire Emblem in general, due to the fact that game going when a character dies, doesn't have really enough room to develop their characters after they're recruited, outside of support conversations and the main characters that cause a game over when they die.

He's putting his own spin on things, and considering how he's worked to learn how to event hack in order to create something original from the usual formula of slightly changing names and a few other things to fit FE8's outline for story and also attempting to actually balance stuff... I'd say he's putting a great amount of effort to create a quality product, despite it focusing a lot more on characters contrary to the original Fire Emblem formula.

So I've been watching this for a while now, and the whole deal is looking spectacular. I was wondering though (cos I haven't seen this said elsewhere, forgive me if I missed it), since you're using the Sacred Stones as the base, are characters going to have branching promotions, or are you just going with the 1 promotion deal?

One promotion for each character. With all of the rebalancing we have to do as it is (weapon stats, new class caps, etc.), trying to balance two different promotion paths is too much. Plus, I seem to recall that it helps free up classes so that more units can have their own animations (or something like that). Maybe that was only in the earlier version of ASD.

Edited by Lord Glenn

I wonder how character death will affect dialogue, especially with characters having much larger roles than most other FE characters. It'd be interesting to see an early FE9 style approach to this, with a scene mentioning that character's death (if they even die at all, and are not just injured or something). I mean, Julie obviously gives you a Game Over if she falls, but what about Ryan, Heather or (dare I say it) Winston were to fall?

No character will die apart from main characters that go down to trigger Game Overs. Sure, you won't be able to use them anymore like any other unit, but it's pretty much how it is. Likely something from playing Super Robot Taisen.(I've pretty much had this creed ever since FE404 was made)

One promotion for each character. With all of the rebalancing we have to do as it is (weapon stats, new class caps, etc.), trying to balance two different promotion paths is too much. Plus, I seem to recall that it helps free up classes so that more units can have their own animations (or something like that). Maybe that was only in the earlier version of ASD.

Ah, ok then. Thanks. I'd personally rather see more custom animations, it's pretty cool to see those in a hack. Actually, I don't think the earlier version of ASD had branches though. I remember trying to promote Laura and she went straight into a Bishop. A default male one at that. XD

Well, that and it'd be a bit weird to have a character like Edward branch into an Assassin, but I guess that's just me.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks noice... :D

I like the new soldier :P I don't know if it's in a previous screenshot, but it actually looks BEGNION, which is good :) It's nice to see a somewhat new soldier design cause most people just recolor the original generic one.

Edited by Jubby