Thieves

Anouleth

97 members have voted

1. 1. How should thieves be fixed?

• They're fine as they are
    • Give them Canto
    • Mount them on a donkey, which becomes a goat upon promotion

Let's face it, Thieves in FE kind of suck. Often, they have poor combat, and moreover, the job that they're supposed to be good at, opening chests, they're not that good at since usually a mounted unit with a Chest Key does it better. So I thought that Thieves should get canto. It makes sense, since after all, thieves are dextrous and should try to avoid combat. Being able to steal and then move away from the enemy, or open a door and then get out of the way of foot units behind, or being able to hit and run like a mounted unit, would all improve the usefulness of thieves.

Anouleth

I think that Thieves should have canto

Anouleth

y/n

Chaoskitty

has left the room

Integrity

y

Daigoji Exc...

y

Integrity

actually no

Anouleth

would that not be awesome

Integrity

n

Integrity

I think thieves need redone

11:25 PM

Integrity

because dew needs canto

Anouleth

and make them actually kind of worthwhile

Integrity

because he's on a mule amirite?

Anouleth

what?

Integrity

admit it, you totally want to see thieves riding around all fes on donkeys and shit

Integrity

then canto is justified!

Anouleth

yeah that would be pretty awesome

Integrity

and then they can double as shitty fighters AND shitty cavalry!

Anouleth

but the terrain penalties...

Anouleth

what about desert maps

Anouleth

what about rescue-dropping them

Integrity

well that's what the promotion is for

Integrity

promotion puts them on goats

Anouleth

what about sothe going over ledges

Anouleth

oh man

Integrity

which negates all terrain penalties

Anouleth

can walk over mountains

Integrity

sothe starts on a goat, duh

Integrity

because he's a rogue

Anouleth

walk over GBA cliffs

Integrity

that would make rennac totally inconspicuous too

Anouleth

climb walls

Integrity

in the jehanna treasure hall on a goat

Anouleth

jesus this is the best idea ever

Edited by Anouleth

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the idea of Thieves having Canto.

At least they can get out of the way for more useful units to kill stuff and junk after they're done with whatever it is they're doing.

mounted thief would be terrible, it's totally illogical.

and I feel canto is only there for mounted units (hawks/ravens in FE:RD shouldn't have it either), since the mount has its separate move from the attacker.

on the other hand, I do feel like thieves should get something to make them more useful.

I say make them able to steal equipped weapons when overpowering the opponent. And make their inventory slots about 1.5x as big as other characters.

also, give all daggers 1-2 range and all knives and daggers +crit.

Thieves are good when they can actually steal worthwhile stuff, like in FE5 and Berwick. They also get Hide in Berwick, which helps them sneak around like they should. Also, the playable ones get Watch, which gives them other utility, and I don't think Chest Keys even exist in Berwick. And Czene actually gets the ability to ride horses on promotion, although I'm not sure whether or not she gets Re-Move when mounted.

Edited by Othin

I think thieves should get knives in every game, with said knives having slightly lower or equal MT than swords, but ignore the enemies DEF. Because the only thing I see wrong with them is their combat, i've actually had a Matthew before with 8 STR and 13 DEF after promotion. I was like blink.gif.

Edited by Kakarot

I voted for the first one, though giving them canto is also an intriguing idea. I feel as though gba canto, as oppose to tellius canto is more suited for thieves, i.e. steal and canto but not attack and canto. It doesn't make sense to attack then escape, at least for a unit on foot imo.

I think thieves should get knives in every game, with said knives having slightly lower or equal MT than swords, but ignore the enemies DEF. Because the only thing I see wrong with them is their combat, i've actually had a Matthew before with 8 STR and 13 DEF after promotion. I was like blink.gif.

That would be rather ridiculous.

Berwick Saga has a perhaps more fair system where knives ignored enemy Def, but had pathetic Mt and only applied a random amount of the user's Str. Unfortunately, Czene and Sedy both have pitiful Str, so the only time knives without added magic damage will do more than like 5 damage on a hit is if they're used by Estobar (who has abysmal Knife Skill instead, so he has enough problems even hitting things with them) or enemy Thief or Assassin bosses, but at least it's reliable enough damage. Not perfect, but it works really well, with thieves having other abilities, and knives having improved critical and injury rates to be able to do something to the enemy regardless.

To be honest, I think that Canto should remain exclusive to mounted units and I can't endorse the donkey/goat idea because (while it IS rather funny) it just doesn't fit.

I'd suggest just upping their combat stats and enchancing Knives, perhaps like this:

• Give Throwing Knives 10 crit and Daggers 20 crit.

• Give them very low weight (lower with Throwing Knives), very high accuracy (similar to Sword with Throwing Knives, better than that with Daggers), low but passable Might (not TOO much worse than Sword) and low prices (make them the cheapest weapons in the game, don't know which should be cheapest if there is even a price difference).

• Put in "special" Knives, Killers and Barves and such, have a variant of each for both kinds of Knife.

• On an unrelated note, I'd suggest giving them to Mages again (I'd specifically suggest them for Sages and Druids), except that they'd given WITH Staffs rather than INSTEAD OF Staffs. Okay, it'd see practically no use but it's cool to have the option and perhaps if we made a Throwing Knife that's effective against Mages (considering the above suggestion) we could have decent Mage-killing.