The new art style

H-Bastaki

It seems to be fitting just fine. I didn't see the game lock-up over the graphics, nothing was jarring >.>

But the map design should get a little more cartoony to match the rest of the art style. So far it looks like FE9 shrunk down, which is creating a wonky contrast.

I do remember lots of complaints when that game was announced. We had people distressed at the sub-N64 quality graphics, catgirls and (I think) not being on the GBA anymore.

To be fair, those early graphics were shit :P: The addition of the cat lady mostly made people uneasy at what the game would actually mean. In actuality it's no stranger than introducing dark gods or mamkutes or anything else--it's just when you go into these new games expecting an old thing to happen that you find something strange. And it's because you created an artificial expectation. Walk in without it, and you're pretty fine.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do y'allselves a favor and go back and look at every era in the series and realize no one timeline has a matching look. Every world in the series has had a different anime style to them, and this is just a new one. I think this one just stands out the most cause it's the most vibrant, it stands out the most.

I love the style, actually. Wish character portraits didn't pop out during crits (if you're gonna do this, do it right. Do it like they did in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure arcade fighter), but I like the expressiveness it has. And the fact characters show expressions now. Characters just stand out a bit more because of it.

Vake is a bro, by the way.

Standing out doesn't have to mean incredibly unrealistic. The character with the blonde hair and the headband's hair is just insane looking, and one of the character's (Frederick's, I believe. I could be wrong.) armor is about a foot away from his neck on every side. Additionally, some of the armor, hairstyles, clothing, and whatever else looks overly intricate for no real reason. I think you can have characters stand out, and be more vibrant, while keeping realistic features. I like the artstyle, it's well drawn stuff, it's the character's designs that are problematic. Take Krom, if you took away some of his more intricate features to his clothes (Which are minor anyways) he's just another fire emblem character, drawn differently. The other two, however, are not. =/

I'll probably get used to it, but my initial reaction is ugh.

Standing out doesn't have to mean incredibly unrealistic. The character with the blonde hair and the headband's hair is just insane looking, and one of the character's (Frederick's, I believe. I could be wrong.) armor is about a foot away from his neck on every side. Additionally, some of the armor, hairstyles, clothing, and whatever else looks overly intricate for no real reason. I think you can have characters stand out, and be more vibrant, while keeping realistic features. I like the artstyle, it's well drawn stuff, it's the character's designs that are problematic. Take Krom, if you took away some of his more intricate features to his clothes (Which are minor anyways) he's just another fire emblem character, drawn differently. The other two, however, are not. =/

I'll probably get used to it, but my initial reaction is ugh.

You act as though werd hair and overly intricate armor has never happened until now. 2 cavs in FE3 had flat tops with their glaring eye searing red hair. FE11 Minerva's armor is crazy intricate. Just to name a few examples here.

Again, I think these things are only more notable in this game because it just pops out more with it's vibrantness.

Edited by Grandkitty

I think the art looks good. If anything I think IS finally upped their standard and now we're just in that adjustment phase where everyone gets mad because they don't like change. I think people were probably expecting something more like FE12 or even FE10 (obviously GBA's sprite style is obsolete...) but since we got something totally people are disappoint.

And is it Fire Emblem-y? Well, what IS Fire Emblem-y? I don't remember there being any set standard on what a Fire Emblem sprite should look like. Throw in some red-heads and purple-heads and I think it'll be fine. though I admit some of the map sprites remind me of Final Fantasy but that's a whooooole 'nother topic

Edited by Strawhat Luffy

I can get over the overly anime style of it all but...

b78dq.png

Shellfish Knights, I cannot.

Mass Effect Krogan ftw.

Shepard.

Wrex.

Shepard.

Grunt.

Shepard....

Shepard.

Hi I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite game of the Fire Emblem series.

The Armor Knights look like Space Marines.

Coincidentally, the third-person shooter "Space Marine" was released a few days ago.....

SILLY IS WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN PLAYING :D

......They do remind me of SM terminators.....HMMMM.

Personally, I love it (although I admit shellfish armors are dumb) but that may just be because I'm so utterly hyped at the idea of a NEW FREAKING FIRE EMBLEM on a PORTABLE system that I will become fanboyish as I've never been fanboyish before.

I’m neutral right now on the new art style, its interesting that IS is going with a new art style and it could possibly persuade people to the FE series considering if it does get localized. The battle sprite/field of view is different than what I’m used to if IS release future videos of classes/characters then I could possibly decide if I like it or not. 

You act as though werd hair and overly intricate armor has never happened until now. 2 cavs in FE3 had flat tops with their glaring eye searing red hair. FE11 Minerva's armor is crazy intricate. Just to name a few examples here.

Again, I think these things are only more notable in this game because it just pops out more with it's vibrantness.

I don't agree that Matthis and Vyland's hair is very unrealistic, other than colour. I'd say they were more poorly done than unrealistic, but I'm not too concerned with FE3's sprite quality.

I agree, Minerva's armor is crazy. I hated it personally, thought it was annoying and bad looking. Frederick's kinda looks like he should be in an anime with mechanical suits.

I wanna say, I think they're really well-drawn, but it's a really ridiculous look to give characters. That's all.

Also, do those armor knights only have legs 1/3 the height of their bodies, or is it just me? Each time I see them I giggle a little.

look guys, i know its amazing cuz its a new fire emblem game, and the graphics looks so cool but?

i cant believe what they did with the characters!?!?!

they are soooo un-fire emblem like, they look like final fantasy chars.

they totally ruined it this time.

I agree that the arts don't look like the kind of arts seen in a Fire Emblem game, but then again these arts looks NOTHING like Final Fantasy. The arts of Amano and Nomura from the Final Fantasy franchises are more unique and completely different than the new arts seen for this Fire Emblem title.

Besides, Path of Radiance, Radiant Dawn, Shadow Dragon and New Mystery all had different art styles I wasn't keen on seeing in the past.

Edited by miiworld2

I like the new art style. I think it's good to keep changing things up. Although they might be a little bit too 'classic Japanese' a la BlazBlue and all the other crazy fighting games for my taste. Also...

If you don't like it, you can quit. That said, I preferred they have kept the remakes' style simply because it was a great updated style with personality, but shou ga nai. At least it's not Suzuhito, because then I would have lost it.

...what?

I'm practically sure that this is Yusuke Kozaki' art, and according to Vincent it seems that some Japanese blogs share my assumption. Not only do I love his character design, I've also always thought that his style would be the most suited for the Fire Emblem series.

He is notably known for his work on the No More Heroes games, but he's also worked on Speed Grapher and Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto.

Here's some pictures for comparison:

img009.png

wvvqxj.png

Notice how the eye design is similar? The two lines under the eyes is one of his usual pattern. Another pattern of his is frowning expressions.

top13.png

2qa0cp3.png

Same hair style that the male lead, but longer.

2lne1eg.jpg

Same way of coloring the face for the female chars

If it's true and he's also in charge of the illustrations, then we're in for a real treat.

You can check his gallery for an overview of his work here: http://kymg.net/?page_id=11

On the other hand, the 3D models are horrendous. But they still have time to polish them.

Edited by Marthur