Why do you play drafts?

FalconVegeta1986

29 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

• Lowest turncounts/To win.
    • To challenge myself with the team I picked.
    • To use units that I might not use normally.
    • Simply because they're fun.
    • I dunno. I just do.

After a small squabble about some of my picks in a current draft, I just thought i'd try and get a basic idea of why most people play drafts in the first place, and maybe get some insight about why you choose to play that way. It's nothing personal, i'd just like to hear some of the opinions mostly from the more active drafters, and see if I can't find reason to try and play drafts in some of the other ways I listed.

I chose #2 mostly because I tend to always pick the same units in any playthrough of a FE game, usually flocking towards units considered the best, such as Raven, Gerik, Mia, Wolf and Sedgar, etc. It's fun to see how I can make certain units work when I have no choice but to pick from between Ewan and Neimi with no grinding allowed. But at the same time, I like having a few units that I know will either start good or become good over the course of the game. you know, the guys who are gonna bail me out of a tough situation. And I always try to cover my weapon types as much as possible. I guess the Ewan/Neimi thing could also be part of #3, but #3 is mostly for people who might purposely choose a bad or unused unit to see if they can work.

So what are your thoughts? Why do you like to play drafts?

It does need to be a multiple choice.

I voted "to challenge myself" since my only goal in any given draft is to do better (turns-wise and/or effort-wise) than I did last time, competition be fucked. They also force me into a playing style I really enjoy (giev all resources, shitstomp w/ fee) and sometimes make me use units I wouldn't. Honestly, I wouldn't like Laura as much as I do were it not for drafts.

Edited by Integrity

I enjoy the DS drafts as much as I do because I can play with reclassing, and do all sorts of weird things with it. It also pushes me to see how well I can manage with the team I have, even if their stats are a little lacking.

In the GBA games, I push my units as far as they'll go. Sometimes, I get lucky.

Because my boyfriend made me.

Well he asked me to in a FE4 Tag-Team, and it was fun~ Actually having sorta of a goal in turncounts and challenging myself with a smaller team is pretty fun. Since I did FE4 and gen 1 at that, though, there really isn't much in the way of "characters I don't use normally", but maybe after finals I'll do a non-FE4 draft.

Speaking of which

DO YOUR SHARE MANG

Edited by Luminescent Blade

I play for fun, but the fun comes from the challenge of beating the game with your team and competing against the other players in your draft. I don't know if I could win a standard draft, I'm not so good at picking the best characters, but I sure try.

I chose the first one because I'm a competitive bastard and a tourneyfag. I play to win by engaging players who are much better than me, using all my skills. Also because it's fun.

All of the above.

hey look at this thing that is exactly the same as what I was going to say

In a draft, you can experience all the joys of FE at once, from playing efficiently to shitting around with weird teams. That's always been the draw for me, and it baffles me when people join drafts looking for just the shitting around part. You have much better options than a playthrough type that heavily encourages doing your best. Not to sound like a Stop Having Fun Guy, but you can have your fun even if you don't draft like a retard and skew the thing for everyone else. What's so repulsive about the idea of challenging yourself to pull some nice turncounts anyway?

So, what makes drafting for FE6 unappealing? How is it handled if someone can't get all the gaiden chapters?

If you can't get all the gaiden chapters in FE6, you should probably learn how to play before you worry about drafts.

If you want to challenge yourself, use those units anyways.

That's a silly poll. Drafts are fun competitions. But the main words is COMPETITION. To see how low you can go relative to other people.

People aren't in Fantasy Football units just to "look at specific players' performances". They enter because they want to have the highest score every week after the initial draft. Same idea here. You're an idealistic idiot.

I play them for fun, obviously. What's the point of winning without fun or any prize?

The drafting process and being able to choose your favorite or other characters (characters you probably haven't used before) is all fun.

I play to challenge myself, and to win of course. If I get shafted with crap units, its feels good to still perform as well (or almost as well) as a player with prounits. That, and I just want to beat Horace one day.

I play them for fun, obviously. What's the point of winning without fun or any prize?

I call bullshit on this statement.

I find any game (be it a video game or mafia or whatever) fun if I actually put effort into it and try to win. Nothing is inherently fun. Something is only fun if you're willing to put time and effort into it.

It's no fun to get your ass kicked by Nina all the time in Tekkan 3. But it's fun to kick her ass. One's succeeding, the other isn't.

Edited by Bblader

Yes, that is what I meant. It's not just fun to do it for the lolz, not caring about winning. I care about winning, and that's why I actually put my time and effort to it. I am not one of those people that find drafting by itself fun.