Rate the unit, Day 3: Oswin

Elieson

low move 2/10

Which is why units like Arran, Farina, Cecilia and Fiona rank 10/10 :rolleyes:

OK serious face here.

On any normal playthough, Oswin's durability can be effectively duplicated by some combination of units, or is made altogether unnecessary.

So, Oswin can do the work of several other units? That sounds pretty good to me.

In any serious efficient playthough, Oswin should not be promoted at all and should be ditched after chapter 18. In fact, you can probably stop using him after as early as chapter 15 and not experience any significant repercussions.

He's not going to participate in any rushes to Zephiel or Hector rescue-chains, but he still has plenty of use, particularly in non-seize chapters.

Obviously 2/10 is not a very serious score but there has been a surprising lack of weight given to Oswin's terribad movement and con.

Nearly everyone has mentioned one or the other, and they are basically his only weaknesses.

Oswin's start is incredible. Only Marcus is better, and he can't do everything. His level means he's first in line for a promotion, and he gains partial WT control and some badly needed speed.

Lategame he's not so great, but still worthwhile. His movement is awful, and his con means not many units can carry him. BUT he can be carried, which is critical. It means he can be ferried forward whenever he is in danger of falling behind. The map size is fairly small on average, so he'll seldom be completely removed.

Even in the chapters where A) he falls behind and B) It's all hands on deck (Battle Before Dawn, Cog of Destiny and Victory or Death come to mind) the enemy density is such he should still see combat. His mobility definitely hurts, but it's not a dealbreaker, when he's so solid as a combat unit.

8/10

Edited by Baldrick

So, Oswin can do the work of several other units? That sounds pretty good to me.

The difference between the two is that any EXP invested into Oswin is wasted because he's horrible for most of the game.

He's not going to participate in any rushes to Zephiel or Hector rescue-chains, but he still has plenty of use, particularly in non-seize chapters.

Everyone else has the same amount of use in non-seize chapters. Verdict: Oswin is completely worthless.

Lategame he's not so great, but still worthwhile. His movement is awful, and his con means not many units can carry him.

So he's not worthwhile. Thank you for proving my point.

His start is simply amazing. Up to Ch.18 he's one of the best units to have around, hands down. 10/10 for that.

From 19 onwards, just promote him early. He will have 5 move like most other foot units who are not yet promoted, and still have his base properties of being an amazing offensive/defensive wall. 10/10 from Ch.1919 to say ~Ch.24/25 when other units will his Lv20 and change class. 10/10 for that.

From there on? So what if he can't keep up with other units? Neither can Hector, and he got what, 8.3 average, despite his amazingly late promotion? You guys are being so harsh on Oswin, it's not even funny. 7/10 for lategame onwards for movement issues, but still has his uses.

10+10+7=27/30 = 9/10

Raven's rating = 90%.

The difference between the two is that any EXP invested into Oswin is wasted because he's horrible for most of the game.

But, if he gets plenty of EXP, he becomes less horrible, no?

Everyone else has the same amount of use in non-seize chapters. Verdict: Oswin is completely worthless.

So Rebecca is as useful as Athos versus the Dragon? That's good to know.

So he's not worthwhile. Thank you for proving my point.

Mobility issues != Issues with everything else

But, if he gets plenty of EXP, he becomes less horrible, no?

If he gets plenty of EXP, he grows movement, no?

Ah, wait, my bad. He doesn't.

So Rebecca is as useful as Athos versus the Dragon? That's good to know.

If you take a hyperbole very literally, you're the one who looks like an idiot, not me.

Mobility issues != Issues with everything else

If Oswin has trouble reaching a place where fighting is happening, then his combat-related aspects are nullified.

I agree that Oswin is very overrated by some people, but most people gave him more accurate scores than others, so...

Usually I use Oswin from 12-18. After Chapter 18, the maps are getting too big for him to function. He has a niche in 17 for keeping Merlinus alive at least. His Mov and weight are very significant issues, and Florina and Priscilla should be doing more than ferrying Oswin.

At best, I would give him a 6.5. At worst? Probably a 5 if you discard a lot of his earlygame niche and heavily weigh his performance later.

Useful for chapters 12-18. Niche for evey few chapters after that. Found like an average rating would mske sense for him, especially since late game, he's generally replaced by a trained,

higher mov lowen.

Oh Oswin...I do love Oswin. I dont care for the class but i like Oswin. Hes hitting hard and being a meatshield for a good while. Even with his low speed, his high defense keeps him from getting destroyed. (mages might be a problem though but none of them seem to be able to double him) Its hilarious to see a Swordmaster crit him only for it to go "TINK!"

Flaw of Oswin....bad move. This has been covered. Dude has trouble keeping up. But he can defend Merlinus if need be.

I personally give Oswin 7.5/10.

• 2 weeks later...

8/10

Oswin is a very useful unit, but his speed is definitely a problem, and I'm not usually quick to just hand out stat-boosters to anyone. He's always turned out to be a very useful unit for me, and I almost always use him one way or another.