• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZemZem

• Breezy Kanzaki

• Ein

• Caster

Top Posters In This Topic

I just hope this stupid time conversion will be abolished next year for once and for all. Instead of saving energy it just ruins my biorhythm. I need days till I have got used to the new day schedule. As for now I act, as if the time conversion has not happened yet. I do not let me confuse that the clock says 5:49 AM right now. It feels like almost 7, time to get up and make breakfast. 

Anyways I am gonna take a break from  the internet for a little while because I will be extremly busy the upcoming weeks. Have to settle so many private things right noe (flat, work, USA trip), so I do not want to be distracted by the forum at all. I try to finish Golden Deers in Maddening (currently chapter 19), that is all I will play in near future. I think to come back in December. 

I finished Fairy Fencer f Advent Dark Force. "Review" here for anyone who cares.

18 hours ago, Armagon said:

Koei Tecmo only publishes Atelier. Optimization is all on Gust's part.

You're right, of course.

2 hours ago, Lysithea said:

Anyways I am gonna take a break from  the internet for a little while because I will be extremly busy the upcoming weeks. Have to settle so many private things right noe (flat, work, USA trip), so I do not want to be distracted by the forum at all. I try to finish Golden Deers in Maddening (currently chapter 19), that is all I will play in near future. I think to come back in December. 

Have a good time!

6 hours ago, Lysithea said:

Good luck with all that and have fun^^

10 hours ago, Armagon said:

Question about the rival marriages in older games though, is it random or does each character have a specific crush?

For Rune Factory 2, the specific rivalries were, to show every visually:

Spoiler

RosalindRayface

Rosalind and Ray- De Sainte Coquille younger sibling, and medical assistant to his mother the town doctor.

Julialatest?cb=20111215204356

Julia and Max- Girl who runs the bathhouse, and De Sainte Coquille elder sibling.

DorothyBarrett

Dorothy and Barrett- Shy girl adopted by the town priest, and the son of the mayor who is intelligent but a little rebellious.

CeciJake1

Cecilia and Jake- Both of these characters are half-elf. Jake is cold to most people, Cecilia is a nice maid, who in RF1 looked like this:

Cecilia (RF)Normal

Whilst you don't see rival events between them, you can find them hanging out together sometimes, with their dialogue talking of their bond.

Each couple marries sometime in the second year. You will be forced to attend the wedding. And while I never did it myself, if you have the girl at max LP, you can get the bride to make an abrupt change of husband and propose to them, at the meagre price of any FP you had with the guy. This bride-stealing is unique to RF2.

If you marry a man's preferred lady, he'll marry Yue instead:

Yue

Who you could wed if you wanted to.

But, the game has yet another two bachelorettes for some reason.:

latest?cb=20140416211506

Mana is the postergirl of RF2, and she is really into you. She is more or less the forced option, she has no male rival and won't otherwise marry. I picked her the one time because of this. But Cecilia or maybe Yue or Julia would have interested me more.

Alicia

And for some reason, Alicia has no rival. It'd odd, and any RF2 remake were it to ever happen should give her one.

RF1 has unused portraits for its four young men dressed in white wedding attire, so perhaps that game was intended to have rival marriages too, or a female playable option, we don't know.

As for their children:

Spoiler

AaronAria

Aaron and Aria, the children of Kyle the main character. In the opening trailer for Gen 2, you see both of them as twins. The actual game only lets one of be born, you pick which. Very annoying that is to me they aren't twins. Aria is the first playable female in the Rune Factory games.

Lamria

Leann, daughter of Max.

latest?cb=20140417053835

Sera and Serena, twin daughters of Ray.

Leonel

Leonel, son of Barrett.

Orland

Orland, son of Jake.

You can do "pretend weddings" in the 2nd Gen with Cammy and Roy as well. They appear in the 1st Gen, as the younger adopted daughter of the priest, and the son of the blacksmith. Marvelous I guess was cutting costs when they decided not to visually age them up for the 2nd Gen.

Kanon-2Roy

Rune Factory 4 looks like it would have been perfect for rival marriages. Since there are six bachelors and six bachelorettes there, everyone could have a rival. All they would have had to do is add special bachelor and a special bachelorette who would never marry this Ventuswill for the bachelorette?. All the other RFs are massively slanted female (RF1- 10, RF3- 11, Frontier- 12/13, Tides of Destiny- 9).

10 hours ago, Armagon said:

67293713_p0.png

I really, really love this fanart of the Leftherian Archipelago. One of my favorite locations in Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Source.

Certainly is high quality fanart, which is a rare and good find. Pointillism for the trees and the bigger two jellyfish I can tell, with either Impressionism or Post-Impressionism for the rest- I can't tell the difference (and artists greatly vary within the styles). But it works perfectly for numinous, wondrous Leftheria. This is one of those very few fanarts I'd actually buy and hang somewhere.

7 hours ago, Lysithea said:

I understand this, I've had myself banned from SF a few times because for similar IRL reasons. Hope it all works out!

Oh, they don't both show up? Hmm, was remembering wrong, then, heh.

To add to it, an amusing little tidbit about RF2's pretend weddings is that with Sera and Serena it's not individually. Rather, with both at the same time... AND you can do it with Aria too! Perhaps quite expectively, the localizations changed the twins' dialogue a bit. They don't quite have an exact idea of what marriage is, as a result.

31 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

As for their children:You can do "pretend weddings" in the 2nd Gen with Cammy and Roy as well. They appear in the 1st Gen, as the younger adopted daughter of the priest, and the son of the blacksmith. Marvelous I guess was cutting costs when they decided not to visually age them up for the 2nd Gen.

I'd guess, since they still went the trouble to make them "pretend marriagable", the cutting costs was in avoid making more characters for that, hence simply reusing those two?

33 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Rune Factory 4 looks like it would have been perfect for rival marriages. Since there are six bachelors and six bachelorettes there, everyone could have a rival. All they would have had to do is add special bachelor and a special bachelorette who would never marry this Ventuswill for the bachelorette?. All the other RFs are massively slanted female (RF1- 10, RF3- 11, Frontier- 12/13, Tides of Destiny- 9).

Considering their avoidance with Ventuswill even in the Switch port, methinks that it would've been Illuminata for the bachelorette, if they had gone that route. There's that little detail on her having nightclothes and swimsuit oufits, which at least in the original version (don't know for the Switch port) is exclusive to the marriagable candidates. Scrapped idea? Maybe.

31 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Oh, they don't both show up? Hmm, was remembering wrong, then, heh.

Maybe they thought it would be too complicated from a playable character perspective?

• How do they handle the HP and RP if both are playable? How about their other stats, are they identical, or would they differ in things like Str, Int, Vit, and also farming/crafting skill levels?
  • Does the other character always follow the other one, or could you "drop them off" and they'd act like any other NPC with a schedule and conversation dialogue? What about FP then? Do they have FP towards each other? Do they have separate FP with the other villagers? Do the villagers have modified dialogue based on who they're talking to? What if you have both around, does that modify the dialogue too?

The game mocks you with 2nd Gen opening every time you turn on the game, showing them as twins when they aren't ingame.:

This is so adorable. Definitely the best RF opening. (If the English is not to your liking, a Japanese vocals version is available).

• I like Frontier's jazzy upbeat opening, but it leans a little too "harem" in terms of presentation.
  • I like how RF1's tries to sell you the idea of Rune Factory, but at roughly 3 minutes, it's long and slow. And, RF1 has the biggest gap between the idea and the reality, being the most barebones game of them all.
  • RF2's 1st Gen touching with English lyrics, but TMM- Too Much Mana.
  • RF3's is eh, and having never married in that game, I never saw the second opening, which isn't much if any better.
  • Tides of Destiny, the Aden opening is dull, and the "soft" Aden shown there doesn't align well with his actual personality. I never saw the Sonia opening before, but it just seems odd.
  • I'm holding off on seeing 4's opening until 4 Special releases, in case I want it.

For anyone interested, this complies every RF opening in a single video, using the Japanese original lyrics in all cases.:

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Considering their avoidance with Ventuswill even in the Switch port, methinks that it would've been Illuminata for the bachelorette, if they had gone that route. There's that little detail on her having nightclothes and swimsuit oufits, which at least in the original version (don't know for the Switch port) is exclusive to the marriagable candidates. Scrapped idea? Maybe.

*Looks for picture of said character*

Must have befallen the same fate as Sofia's big sister- looks like a perfectly good candidate, but isn't. Although they did compensate by hinting at EvelynxGaius. 

Speaking of scrapped stuff, this has to be one of the oddest I've seen in gaming:

Aaargh! My eyes!

Ray-nie? Were they seriously only going to have three marriage rivals in RF2 -or none at all?

12 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

RF2's approach, well, it was more or less a "Second Gen Plotline". RF2 is one of the few games where marriage is mandatory. Though unlike say, A Wonderful Life, where you worked on a timer to marry or Game Over, RF2 was more lenient in that the plot would simply not advance until you did. Then after some other events, there'd be a time skip; and now you played as either the son or daughter (you can choose; but both will be present as they're twins) of the protagonist, becoming the one you chose as the new one (former protagonist basically goes MIA, only showing up again once you finish the plotline, though he never becomes the playable character again). That's why there's a back-up for the rivals, since they all get married and have kids too, so the "back-up" is so all kids are present no matter what. The back-up option herself is also a choice to marry, she simply doesn't have a rival to compete with.

This feels like just a better version of A Wonderful Life. I remember watching the PBG video on A Wonderful Life and i thought that just having a timer leading to your inevitable death was kinda not fun. And then the special edition of the game does have a "heaven mode" where you can keep playing but i hear that version's kinda bad. 

Yeah, if i ever get around to Rune Factory 2, that does sound like an interesting game.

9 hours ago, Lysithea said:

Take care!

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And while I never did it myself, if you have the girl at max LP, you can get the bride to make an abrupt change of husband and propose to them, at the meagre price of any FP you had with the guy. This bride-stealing is unique to RF2.

That sounds both horrible and hilarious at the same time.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Rune Factory 4 looks like it would have been perfect for rival marriages. Since there are six bachelors and six bachelorettes

Hopefully Rune Factory 5 also keeps a balanced number of bachelors/ettes.

Considering their avoidance with Ventuswill even in the Switch port, methinks that it would've been Illuminata for the bachelorette, if they had gone that route. 

Illuminata not being a bachelorette just really stood out to me. It felt like she should've been romancable but isn't. All the other unromancable characters in the town, i can understand. 

• Jones and Nancy are married to each other
  • Lin Fa is Xiao Pai's mother 
  • Blossom is an old lady
  • So is Volkanon
  • Porcaline is Margarate's adoptive father 
  • Pico is dead, being a ghost and all
  • Bado doesn't seem interested in romance
  • Ventuswill has signficant story stuff that might making her romancable kinda a problem.

So like, what's Illuminata's excuse? Like yeah, she's older than Volkanon but she's also an elf so that doesn't really mean anything. I really can't think of a reason.

There's that little detail on her having nightclothes and swimsuit oufits, which at least in the original version (don't know for the Switch port) is exclusive to the marriagable candidates.

Adding to that, Illuminata also shows up in the girls' sleepover events (i think), and only bachelor/ettes have those (i think Pico does show up in the girls' sleepover event but that's because she has to, being bound to Dolce). I remember walking into the girls' sleepover one time because i didn't know sleepover events were a thing and i was really curious as to why there were a lot of characters hanging out in Margaret's house.

18 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Maybe they thought it would be too complicated from a playable character perspective?

• How do they handle the HP and RP if both are playable? How about their other stats, are they identical, or would they differ in things like Str, Int, Vit, and also farming/crafting skill levels?
  • Does the other character always follow the other one, or could you "drop them off" and they'd act like any other NPC with a schedule and conversation dialogue? What about FP then? Do they have FP towards each other? Do they have separate FP with the other villagers? Do the villagers have modified dialogue based on who they're talking to? What if you have both around, does that modify the dialogue too?

The game mocks you with 2nd Gen opening every time you turn on the game, showing them as twins when they aren't ingame.

Oh, wasn't meaning they'd both be playable. Just the one not chosen as an NPC.

You know, the opening might be why I got the mistake. I haven't really played RF2. Only RF4, when it comes to the series.

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

This feels like just a better version of A Wonderful Life. I remember watching the PBG video on A Wonderful Life and i thought that just having a timer leading to your inevitable death was kinda not fun. And then the special edition of the game does have a "heaven mode" where you can keep playing but i hear that version's kinda bad. 

Yeah, if i ever get around to Rune Factory 2, that does sound like an interesting game.

Personally, I actually kinda like that aspect of AWL. It's not entirely unique, since other games also have actual endings (though unlike the non-SE version of AWL they still let you keep playing). Hmm, never really heard of AWL:SE being bad.

7 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Illuminata not being a bachelorette just really stood out to me. It felt like she should've been romancable but isn't. All the other unromancable characters in the town, i can understand. 

• Jones and Nancy are married to each other
  • Lin Fa is Xiao Pai's mother 
  • Blossom is an old lady
  • So is Volkanon
  • Porcaline is Margarate's adoptive father 
  • Pico is dead, being a ghost and all
  • Bado doesn't seem interested in romance
  • Ventuswill has signficant story stuff that might making her romancable kinda a problem.

So like, what's Illuminata's excuse? Like yeah, she's older than Volkanon but she's also an elf so that doesn't really mean anything. I really can't think of a reason.

Adding to that, Illuminata also shows up in the girls' sleepover events (i think), and only bachelor/ettes have those (i think Pico does show up in the girls' sleepover event but that's because she has to, being bound to Dolce). I remember walking into the girls' sleepover one time because i didn't know sleepover events were a thing and i was really curious as to why there were a lot of characters hanging out in Margaret's house.

She does? I only remember she tries to spy on the guys' sleepover event, then actually stays once she's found out. I think.

Anyway, maybe just not everybody has to have a reason for not being a candidate? Though yeah, knowing that distinction with her clothing really makes one think.

55 minutes ago, Armagon said:

This feels like just a better version of A Wonderful Life. I remember watching the PBG video on A Wonderful Life and i thought that just having a timer leading to your inevitable death was kinda not fun.

As someone who gets depressed, that aspect of AWL keeps me away from it. I focus too much on it. That, and the brief day or three I've played of it seemed very slow.

57 minutes ago, Armagon said:

It's a little dated compared to RF4 keep in mind. A bit slower, RP is a bigger concern, fewer weapon types. But the characterization is still nice through quests on a bulletin board. 

Also, Gen 1 with Kyle is essentially an extended tutorial. The real gameplay meat of the game is Gen 2. To get there you must:

• Marry.
  • Wait for the child to be born.
  • Get the mayor to build a school.
  • Once a few more days pass, walk by the partially-constructed building.

Seeing the unfinished school is the end event where you have Kyle.

Money, monsters and their affections, combat stats and level, skill levels, items, and lumber are all inherited. So you can build a stockpile for the 2nd Gen. You don't even need a full year to do all of this. It might be possible to do it all before the first Summer is over, if you're going fast.

And it looks like Marvelous is planning more "full remakes". I don't want 64, as iconic as it is, to be the next though, since Back to Nature/Friends of Mineral Town is it, but better. The SNES original might not be worth immediately remaking either.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And it looks like Marvelous is planning more "full remakes". I don't want 64, as iconic as it is, to be the next though, since Back to Nature/Friends of Mineral Town is it, but better. The SNES original might not be worth immediately remaking either.

I agree. So soon after FoMT, 64 is just too similar. Not to mention, the setting and character changes from 64 to BtN where already somewhat confusing/jarring to fans back then, it would certainly still be now. That said, an upside to a 64 remake nowadays is they can reuse the original designs. Personally, for me it's still too jarring the remake designs.

Eh, who knows, the original could be a good one for a quick project between main games. Not to mention, if 64 is ever remade, might as well do the original, since 64 is the sequel to it.

Eh, who knows, the original could be a good one for a quick project between main games. Not to mention, if 64 is ever remade, might as well do the original, since 64 is the sequel to it.

I admit it's partly a Magical Melody bias, which has all the bachelorettes from SNES + Save the Homeland characters and some OC males, it would make for a fuller game. Albeit one that should get heart events (something MM lacks beyond two gift-givings), which with 20 spouses to choose from, would mean a lot of writing to add.

The SNES original would have to be a rather radical remake. The game too lacks heart events, and it'd need bachelors added to it, and an extra wife while they're at it. This speaks nothing of major gameplay improvements this would call for, more than 4 crops with none for Fall. This would allow so much freedom it could practically be a new game altogether.

And most of the info I've been finding in this rather chaotic topic at Fogu.

It mentions possible name changes coming to the English translation, Elli to Elly, Ann to Ran, Mary to Marie, Won to Huang. These are possibly all name changes Natsume made, and Marvelous is now leaving the Japanese names unmodified.

In the Japanese, at least one heart event has altered dialogue based on your gender. Popuri's Blue Heart involves "playing house" as children are oft to do, and Popuri when Stu says they can't play it because there is no one to be the dad, Popuri proposes the female player character can.

And then there was this:

Spoiler

EHS83RXUEAExjrg.jpg

Don't mess with the cucumber-duck monster.

Oh yeah, been checking that thread too.

lol what, Yaranaika Kappa. Reminded me of that meme face. Mouth makes it loose the effect, though.

Regarding names, that's what they did in SoS with the returning characters from ToTT, so... might as well be what to expect now.

I got reminded, I need to recheck if the TV Channels are still there.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

10 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It's a little dated compared to RF4 keep in mind. A bit slower, RP is a bigger concern, fewer weapon types.

Well that's to be expected, being an earlier game in the series and all.

Also, Gen 1 with Kyle is essentially an extended tutorial. The real gameplay meat of the game is Gen 2. To get there you must:

• Marry.
  • Wait for the child to be born.
  • Get the mayor to build a school.
  • Once a few more days pass, walk by the partially-constructed building.

Seeing the unfinished school is the end event where you have Kyle.

Money, monsters and their affections, combat stats and level, skill levels, items, and lumber are all inherited. So you can build a stockpile for the 2nd Gen. You don't even need a full year to do all of this. It might be possible to do it all before the first Summer is over, if you're going fast.

So basically, aside from the parents, Gen 1 doesn't matter that much and Gen 2 is where the game actually begins. Interesting.

And it looks like Marvelous is planning more "full remakes".

I know that it's in reference to turning the old Harvest Moon games into Story of Seasons now (to differieante it from the Harvest Moon except it isn't games that just use the Harvest Moon name) but i hope they decided to remake some of the older Rune Factory games as well.

Edited by Armagon

Makes me think of the "No sir, I'm not getting out of this chair" thing from Courage the Cowardly Dog. Except with a piano instead of newspaper, haha.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Although I've never laid eyes on a single picture of the anime, I think I've seen that piano playing character before in someone's avi or something. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure I think it's called? Is that codpiece person one of these "Stands" I heard of as being Personas before Persona?

I've not been in the mood to play games for the past few days, even if it could help improve my mood by doing so. But I have watched a few LPs, the Metroid Primes, a few Mega Man games (X6, X7, Zero), and I am utterly impressed by how good other players can be. Is it really so easy for X to shred most X6 bosses in less than minute? Whilst never once getting hit, or falling into a bottomless pit, or making any other mistake?

Though I'm not sure whether Metroid Prime bosses are actually very easy, or its just an expert player at work. MP2's final boss seemed to be hardly threatening, and the same with MP3's final bosses. Only Metroid Prime 1 final phase 1 looks like a threat among MP final bosses. Thinking back to the original Metroid and Super Metroid, and Zero Mission, are any of these "hard"? I struggled with the SA-X, but I've heard people call Fusion's final easy too (ignoring the joke that is the OM).

The Scan Visor really does take any guesswork out of finding a boss's weakness reading the data entries. MP bosses make me remember that technically, Zelda and Metroid do belong to the same Action-Adventure genre, even if they go about it very differently.

I was considering fiddling with a little 3H for the first time tonight, but then I remembered I'd have to remove XC2 game card. I know it speaks of lethargy when one finds swapping a game card a small hassle. But this does nudge me ever slightly towards digital, even if I am in principle a physical-when-realistically-possible person. 

Edited by Interdimensional Observer