The Last To Post Wins!

Darros

9 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

So much Guts!

Strike and Soul/Valor don't matter if I Alert/Guard every time I wail on him, Focus is mitigated by Strike, Alert means I have someone use one weak hit first, and restoring his energy won't matter if its impossible to non-tediously deplete his supply in the first place. But Guts x4 means he effectively has triple HP in Neo Granzon form.

If buyable SP Regenerate isn't a thing there or there is a time limit on defeating Mr. Shurikawa, then I think I'd drop Alpha Gaiden at the end.

THe thing is, Shu isn't the only enemy on the map. Due to the Battle Mastery system, the game splits into East/Medium/Hard paths, and Shu is the final boss of the Hard, and Canon by the way, path.

Other enemies on the map are like about 10 Mecha Gilgilgans (a semi-OG enemy; Gilgilgan is from the Mazinger-Getter crossover OVA, but this Mecha form is SRW exclusive... I think) and 6 Ghost X-9's (from Macross Plus). The Gilgilgans are tanky and hit hard, while the Ghost X-9's are high mobility little buggers... that can also hit hard. You have to be a bit conservative with your SP if you want to use some against Shu.

SP Regen wasn't a thing yet in Alpha Gaiden, just the SP restorative items. THere's no time/turn limit (there are SRW games with turn limits for the final chapter, but this isn't one of them)... however, it is a Defend chapter. A 5x5 tiles big area no enemy must get into or it's Game Over. Yep. Fortunately, you can deploy enough units to box the perimeter AND the entire 5x5 area is a base, so it has the usual passive 30% HP and EN Regen bonuses. Shu himself doesn't move, so you can safely box the perimeter and camp while (most) of the other enemies come to you. There is a smaller 3x3 base just two tiles away from Shu so you can use that one when attacking him.

It is a challenge... but it's fun, I'd say.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

• Replies 180.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZemZem

• Breezy Kanzaki

• Ein

• Caster

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Falcom Knight said:

Sounds a bit like FE9 maniac mode, means very slow progress.

Though I haven't played it on my own yet, only watched a LP-

So is this like the chapter from Revelation!?

Oh god, noooo...

This reminds me on an old game show.

The problem for me is that I'm playing it blind, so I have no idea which enemy is recruitable.

As for Arden I thought he could be recruited.

I mean his existence in this hack aside of having the one-movement-meme is utterly pointless.

That's not even the worst of it, I think chapter 18 might even be worse, but that's for a later time.

Arden is enemy only in this hack.

Chapter 18 is as far as I made it before I couldn't handle anymore BS.

I got back to SRTOGSEFE, and after a boss fight related to Alady wherein the boss fled via teleporter afterwards, something entirely different followed.:

Spoiler

Endless-Frontier-EXCEED-English-Patched-Endless-Frontier-EXCEED-English-Patched-Endless-Frontier-EXCEED-English-Patched-

Xenosaga CAPS-NAME character not K or T confirmed!

Endless-Frontier-EXCEED-English-Patched-Endless-Frontier-EXCEED-English-Patched-Endless-Frontier-EXCEED-English-Patched-Endless-Frontier-EXCEED-English-Patched-Endless-Frontier-EXCEED-English-Patched-Endless-Frontier-EXCEED-English-Patched-

Okay, I see the Emeralda comparison. The first of something I assume is a revolutionary humanoid creation, and a sweet innocent girl. Not sure what benefits an artificial human would have against the threatening Gnosis, but I'm sure XS would explain that ten minutes into meeting her. Would it explain where she gets the magical girl powers too?

Endless-Frontier-EXCEED-English-Patched-Endless-Frontier-EXCEED-English-Patched-

Modest, gentle, and naive, KOS-MOS might be a cold fish in this world, but MOMO needs to get out of here ASAP, it's too impure for her!

Endless-Frontier-EXCEED-English-Patched-

Explanation of how she got here, with the reason for coming being to help and bring back KOS-MOS.

Endless-Frontier-EXCEED-English-Patched-

Blue-eyes KOS-MOS again. Rereading her ingame bio page, it did say she has no emotions, but can mysteriously show emotion from time to time, the eyes must be indicative of it.

The bio mentioned KOS-MOS having an unopened black box too, and only now it dawns on me that one of Poppi's Heart to Hearts in XC2 must be a joke based on this.

Endless-Frontier-EXCEED-English-Patched-Endless-Frontier-EXCEED-English-Patched-

Because she broke the teleporter on arrival, MOMO is now stuck with the heroes and KOS-MOS and Xiaomu, who knows her as well from NamcoxCapcom, looking for a way to eventually get back home.

I assigned her to KOS-MOS because they're both from XS, but I could've given her to anyone. Because I haven't decided on KOS-MOS's best attack lineup yet, I haven't figured out when to best mix her into combos to keep the enemy juggled in the air.

Unfortunately, it appears MOMO doesn't come a personal theme, she shares TRUE ORDER with KOS-MOS. I'm a little disappointed, I'd have liked another Xenosaga track. Although Exceed has added one (I guess?) to play during U-TENERITAS called ETERNAL RECURRENCE.

Next character to rejoin will be Axel & Alfimi I'm being shown, followed by a boss battle with W03 Pete Pain and or Nacht and Abend. Reiji therefore will finish the playable cast.

22 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

There is even fan commentary, and if I understood it right, a comic strip where Dunban wanted to show someone his pubic hair?🤮 Too much information!

Yeeeeeeep. That's what that was. I question the reasoning for that comic strip. All the comic strips were kinda dumb though so i guess i can let it slide.

On the spoiler stuff

Spoiler
22 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

..More seriously what about the snippet on the MAJOR MONDO MONADO XC1 SPOILERS!

Reveal hidden contents

I have yet to find that. I haven't read everything yet, since i was most intrigued by the art (gotta say, Sharla looks amazing in that formal dress).

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Okay, I see the Emeralda comparison. The first of something I assume is a revolutionary humanoid creation, and a sweet innocent girl. Not sure what benefits an artificial human would have against the threatening Gnosis, but I'm sure XS would explain that ten minutes into meeting her. Would it explain where she gets the magical girl powers too?

If you don't mind me giving a bit of explanation, Realians are more about the technical aspect of the fight. They can process things faster and stuff, which helps analyze Gnosis threat. The combat-built ones are also stronger than humans so there's that. The 100-series, of which MOMO belongs to, can do the Hilbert Effect like KOS-MOS. But all the 100-series Realians whose names aren't MOMO can't fight, which is why KOS-MOS still has a purpose. And this part, i don't think it's explained in-game (maybe in a database) but Realians are part machine, part organic, but not in the way a cyborg is (Xenosaga makes a clear distinction as evident with Ziggy). Realians are more akin to the Reploids from Mega Man, except they can bleed and need nutrition.

MOMO herself also has another purpose specific to her. Idk if SRW talks about it but assuming it doesn't, i'll just leave it for you to find out when you eventually do play Xenosaga.

The magical girl powers have no explanation. I know it shows up in the anime because they went into the virtual world via the Encephelon.

6 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

More like if Endless Frontier itself talks about it, since SRW doesn't cover Xeno stuff.

The exact name of the game escaped me when I wrote that but yes.

8 hours ago, Armagon said:

I have yet to find that. I haven't read everything yet, since i was most intrigued by the art (gotta say, Sharla looks amazing in that formal dress).

Artwise, I did like how much attention they gave to XC1 SPOILERS

Spoiler

Yaldabaoth. The king of Faces deserves it.

The note about the halo on the back of Yaldy being derived from religious iconography across cultures was neat. I'd add that besides the examples they cite, I've seen Iranian Islamic artwork employs the "halo" in the form of a golden flame around a person's head too, and don't forget the Greco-Roman god Apollo having a tiara of sun rays. I wouldn't call it 100% universal to mythologies and faiths, but it's impressive to see it employed from the far western to far eastern edges of Asia.

The other Faces are fine too, and I sorta wish we had the option to leave Miss Nemesis helmeted on foot, because that looks good.

I'm a bit surprised Takahashi and others liked Mumkhar so much, and that the artwork pointed out an upgrade Metal Face gets at/post Prison Island. I never noticed it, what the book suggests is obvious, was too subtle for me.

It being stated Xord did not retain any memories of his old life clarified his last words foreshadowing the truth of the Faces for me. He remembers he was human, but not his daughter or anything else.

Curiously, it sounds like in spite of the artwork of Vanea with a whip, they never considered her for a playable Machina. They didn't mention her and suggest Linada would've interested them more (but as Vanea is Mayneth's resurrector and Egil's sister, I'm convinced she'd make much more sense).

Realians are more akin to the Reploids from Mega Man, except they can bleed and need nutrition.

latest?cb=20181003145139

I'm sure that was a human dying here, but I've seen images I can't find in the past of the 100% Reploid bosses and lesser robots in Japan spewing red liquid (not actual blood I'm 98% certain, but that has to be what they were aiming to imitate) after being Z-Sabered in two. North America couldn't take the sight of blood, or any form of the word "death".

If you don't mind me giving a bit of explanation, Realians are more about the technical aspect of the fight. They can process things faster and stuff, which helps analyze Gnosis threat. The combat-built ones are also stronger than humans so there's that. The 100-series, of which MOMO belongs to, can do the Hilbert Effect like KOS-MOS. But all the 100-series Realians whose names aren't MOMO can't fight, which is why KOS-MOS still has a purpose. And this part, i don't think it's explained in-game (maybe in a database) but Realians are part machine, part organic, but not in the way a cyborg is (Xenosaga makes a clear distinction as evident with Ziggy).

Thanks!

Making superhumans to process data faster, totally believable to me. Considering the two Navis in the 7th Dragon 2020 games are entirely organic versions of that, with drastically reduced lifespans.

So on a spectrum of mechanical to organic: androids, Realians, cyborgs, and humans? Or is Realian more human than cyborg?

The techno-anthropomorphism is real in XS, and I can appreciate it. Every Xeno game has had a drop or two of it, but XS seems to have taken it by far the furthest, followed in a distant second by XCX, which XCX SPOILERS!...

Spoiler

...Has left the door open on the fate of mimeosomes. I'd feel much safer betting that they'll go away by the happy ending, but I won't preclude a radical change for humanity. If souls exist, can they take root in machine bodies? Provided humanity could replicate, would being trapped as they are be so bad? I don't think XCX2 would seriously consider these questions, but I can ponder on the remotest chance. Maybe the soul will take hold and transform metal to flesh for the true and joyous return of humanity, instead of using the protoplasmic fluid.

The magical girl powers have no explanation. I know it shows up in the anime because they went into the virtual world via the Encephelon.

MOMO is Japanese for "peach", so her name could merely be that. But Xenosaga was made while Monolith belonged to Namco, and Namco made this 8-bit game in 1989:

WonderMomo_arcadeflyer.png

Wonder Momo. An arcade beat 'em up. Pure coincidence far far far far far more likely, but I leave a little room for potential inspiration.

The exact name of the game escaped me when I wrote that but yes.

TBF, the game's full name is a mouthful! Super Robot Taisen OG Saga Endless Frontier Exceed is one of the longest game titles I've seen. Eight-nine words is a lot.

Taisen is Japanese for "War" or "Wars" (the word is both singular and plural, like "sheep" in English), hence the franchise being called SRW, the three games that left Japan chose to leave it untranslated. And OG is short for "Original Generation", referring to its placement in the SRW multiverse in the part where licensed mecha animes don't exist- only Banpresto original characters and mecha ignore that Reiji, Xiaomu, and KOS-MOS aren't "original".

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

latest?cb=20181003145139

I'm sure that was a human dying here, but I've seen images I can't find in the past of the 100% Reploid bosses and lesser robots in Japan spewing red liquid (not actual blood I'm 98% certain, but that has to be what they were aiming to imitate) after being Z-Sabered in two. North America couldn't take the sight of blood, or any form of the word "death".

Ciel is the only human in the Zero Series until Zero 4, that's a reploid.

Also (X4 spoilers)
this scene

Spoiler

Edited by Caster

Internet was down yesterday, so I couldn't come here at all. Let's see what the others were up to.
*looks at page number*
RelievedDefenselessHornshark-size_restri

I love this gif way too much.

@Shrimperor, because I forgot to quote you prior to typing this: You have put exactly 30 more hours into Three Houses than I have. That's awesome!

---

I started replaying Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1 yesterday.
The English VO for these games has come a loooooooooooong way. Though I will say I prefer Tara Platt over Carrie Keranen as the voice of Vert, even though it is weird in retrospect to have Edelgard's voice come out of... you know.
It's nice to have Dancing Girl as a boss theme again. Gods, I miss that theme in Megadimension.

---

@Falcom Knight Good luck with Super Thracia!

Edited by DragonFlames

14 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

That's not even the worst of it, I think chapter 18 might even be worse, but that's for a later time.

Arden is enemy only in this hack.

Chapter 18 is as far as I made it before I couldn't handle anymore BS.

I will be prepared.

3 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

@Falcom Knight Good luck with Super Thracia!

Thanks!

I will not play it alone though.

Someone who already completed the hack will give me psychological support.

Today I have a free day, but I'm not feeling like to do anything.

Outside if feels like a jungle by being warm and very humid without sun.

Typical weather to get headaches and and to be lazy.

1 hour ago, Falcom Knight said:

Today I have a free day, but I'm not feeling like to do anything.

Outside if feels like a jungle by being warm and very humid without sun.

Typical weather to get headaches and and to be lazy.

So it's the same in your area?
Why, weather, why?!?

7 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Interesting...

Internet was whack here yesterday as well

Very interesting indeed.
I have read something about nation-wide internet problems about a month or so ago, so maybe that's still going on?

---

You know you've really experienced Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1 when Black Heart kicks your ass into next week.
Damn, I knew it was coming and I still got wrecked.

One thing I noticed is that they basically got rid of that sadistic laugh Black Heart does. In Re;Birth 1, she does it quite frequently, in Megadimension, she does it exactly once when she transforms into her Next Form for the first time (and very, VERY rarely when she defeats an enemy).
In general, they toned down Noire's personality change upon transforming a lot in the sequels, to the point where the pitch of her voice is the only thing that really changes about her (in the English dub even more than the Japanese one). In Re;Birth 1, she's a lot more haughty and arrogant when she goes HDD, whereas in Megadimension, 3 games later, she's just Noire with a deeper voice. I don't really mind either way, it's just something I observed with interest.

The reason I am talking about this is connected to the reason I'm replaying Re;Birth 1 in the first place: hindsight. I want to see whether my opinions on things have changed and what about the games and characters themselves underwent changes (aside from the gameplay, of course).
So far the biggest changes I've noticed are as follows:
- The English dub got a lot better with each game, to the point where I prefer playing Megadimension Neptunia VII in English instead of Japanese
- Noire's personality when she transforms into Black Heart doesn't really change anymore
- IF's and Compa's roles have severely dimished with each game. Deuteragonists in Re;Birth 1, lost relevance each game going forward (I did an entire analysis as to why that is, but I'll spare you the sermon. TL;DR is that the trio of Neptune, IF, and Compa don't really play off of each other too well)
- Purple Heart's Japanese voice is still ASMR-inducing. This didn't change whatsoever in the other games.

My opinions on stuff remained largely the same, though. I still love the game(s) to death.
I will say this, though: select musical themes are a lot better in Re;Birth 1 than they are in Megadimension, though that does not mean I suddenly think Megadimension has bad music. Far from it.
Music I think Re;Birth 1 did better: the regular battle theme, boss battle themes (that aren't Providence or Encounter of Destiny), and the EXE Drive theme.

Am I taking this too seriously? Am I looking too deeply into this? Maybe and definitely.
But I study language literature. Analyzing stories and such is what I do. And doing this is good practice, I think.

29 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Why, weather, why?!?

Very interesting indeed.
I have read something about nation-wide internet problems about a month or so ago, so maybe that's still going on?

---

You know you've really experienced Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1 when Black Heart kicks your ass into next week.
Damn, I knew it was coming and I still got wrecked.

One thing I noticed is that they basically got rid of that sadistic laugh Black Heart does. In Re;Birth 1, she does it quite frequently, in Megadimension, she does it exactly once when she transforms into her Next Form for the first time (and very, VERY rarely when she defeats an enemy).
In general, they toned down Noire's personality change upon transforming a lot in the sequels, to the point where the pitch of her voice is the only thing that really changes about her (in the English dub even more than the Japanese one). In Re;Birth 1, she's a lot more haughty and arrogant when she goes HDD, whereas in Megadimension, 3 games later, she's just Noire with a deeper voice. I don't really mind either way, it's just something I observed with interest.

The reason I am talking about this is connected to the reason I'm replaying Re;Birth 1 in the first place: hindsight. I want to see whether my opinions on things have changed and what about the games and characters themselves underwent changes (aside from the gameplay, of course).
So far the biggest changes I've noticed are as follows:
- The English dub got a lot better with each game, to the point where I prefer playing Megadimension Neptunia VII in English instead of Japanese
- Noire's personality when she transforms into Black Heart doesn't really change anymore
- IF's and Compa's roles have severely dimished with each game. Deuteragonists in Re;Birth 1, lost relevance each game going forward (I did an entire analysis as to why that is, but I'll spare you the sermon. TL;DR is that the trio of Neptune, IF, and Compa don't really play off of each other too well)
- Purple Heart's Japanese voice is still ASMR-inducing. This didn't change whatsoever in the other games.

My opinions on stuff remained largely the same, though. I still love the game(s) to death.
I will say this, though: select musical themes are a lot better in Re;Birth 1 than they are in Megadimension, though that does not mean I suddenly think Megadimension has bad music. Far from it.
Music I think Re;Birth 1 did better: the regular battle theme, boss battle themes (that aren't Providence or Encounter of Destiny), and the EXE Drive theme.

Am I taking this too seriously? Am I looking too deeply into this? Maybe and definitely.
But I study language literature. Analyzing stories and such is what I do. And doing this is good practice, I think.

Y'know, I had no idea they had a JP voice pack? 

Anyway, very interesting take on this, and great to read! An over-the-top analysis is normal for favorite games, so no worries!

32 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Why, weather, why?!?

It shall be over tomorrow.

At least wind and light rain came in, but it will take at least one day till the temperature of my room will be cooled down.

Chocolate is already melting.

(I have no fridge.)

19 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Megadimension Nep Arc though

True, but everything before or after that has them basically just there out of obligation more than anything else.
And it is way, way, waaaay less than their roles in the Re;Birth games. As soon as Nep's story ends, that's it for these two. Aside from a line here or there, maybe, but they don't do much else than that. Which sucks, to be honest, especially for IF, whose only contribution to the game is being a useless asshole all the time (kinda like Blanc in Re;Birth 3, come to think of it).
Compare that to Re;Birth 1, where they are the first allies Neptune gets and they stay relevant throughout the entire story.
In Re;Birth 2, they save Nepgear in the beginning of the game and thus make the game's story possible by doing so, basically.
In Re;Birth 3, their Ultradimension counterparts play a large part in the Peashy/Yellow Heart subplot.
In Megadimension, they are relevant for 1/4th of the second arc of the game. And even then, their actual relevance can be called into question.

And after doing the analysis and playing through the game a few times, MegaNep VII has finally put the nail in the coffin for IF's character. I apologize to anyone who is a fan of her.

9 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Looks kinda neat! Music is catchy, too!

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

Y'know, I had no idea they had a JP voice pack?

It's a free DLC for Megadimension Neptunia VII. It wasn't included in the base game.

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

Random Stella Glow Art because this game needs more recognition

Indeed it does. Stella Glow is fantastic.

1 minute ago, Falcom Knight said:

It shall be over tomorrow.

At least wind and light rain came in, but it will take at least one day till the temperature of my room will be cooled down.

I'm still waiting on rain over here. Hopefully it'll happen soon.

8 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Huh. PC has it in the base game

I remember you saying the PC version of all the games (at least the Re;Birth games) came with the DLC already included, so that might be it.