• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZemZem

• Breezy Kanzaki

• Ein

• Caster

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, WeAreNewcastle1053 said:

Thing is if you make a single mistake you're dead in one hit.

That's the fun part.

Ok but for real, early game Breath of the Wild is much more fun than late-game Breath of the Wild. Because by the end, you're never gonna run out of good weapons and you're essentially overpowered and unstoppable. I hope that this is fixed in Breath of the Wild 2.

3 hours ago, Just call me AL said:

Sorry for getting around to this just now. I went to see it dubbed. And, yaaaass.  And it was nice to hear some of the veteran voices that haven't been heard in anime for a while. This was NOT the first time Steve Blum played a firefighter, for example.

Since i don't watch dubs that often, I actually didn't really recognize most of the voices. I did, however, recognize Galo's voice actor, Billy Kametz. I've seen clips of his very good preformance as Josuke from JoJo Part 4 but he's also the voice of the one and only Ferdinand von Aegir.

21 hours ago, Armagon said:

It's ok, as a Floridian, i wouldn't recommend living here either. I actually plan on moving up north when i'm able to financially support myself. Where i don't know, maybe just a bit north or maybe i'll return to Conneticut, the State of my birth.

I'll say that being further up the east coast, albeit not in Connecticut, things are starting to get little cold. "Crisp" fall is over, and cold fall is coming in.

The ideal situation is to be a snowbird- have home up north during the warm months, and have a home down south for the colder months. But there is one big problem with this- 💰.

So, maybe try further up in the old coastal South and see if that cools things down enough for you. I'm not so aware of how it is in the summer, other than one memorable visit to Washington D.C. during a heat wave of 120-130 F (subsequent summer visits weren't as bad). There is a reason why Congress has a summer recess and it isn't that they're a bunch of grade schoolers. That bodes ill for the actual South and not just its northern fringe.

Or, if humidity is the only problem and you don't mind going further away, the Southwest will keep things very warm, but it'll be a dry heat. -So I hear from close ones who I've yet to visit out there. But, things are currently 80-90 F out there right now (26-32 C for everyone else in the world), yet only 20% humidity tops.

10 hours ago, Armagon said:

Ok but for real, early game Breath of the Wild is much more fun than late-game Breath of the Wild. Because by the end, you're never gonna run out of good weapons and you're essentially overpowered and unstoppable.

And this is why you stick to increasing Stamina, more fun danger this way. But, you need to get the Hearts for the Master Sword, and if you want it sometime soon that means you can't go full Stamina.

It would've been nice actually if the game let you use Stamina instead to obtain the MS. Or, the game first drained your Stamina when you try to pull it out, and then goes through your Hearts, so it'd become irrelevant how you invested your Spirit Orbs. Just obtaining and spending them would be enough for the MS.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

So today in college math, i learned about synthetic division and my mind honestly just collapsed on itself. Like, look at this monstrosity of a problem

rvEQvA1.png

Like hell i was actually gonna learn how to solve that, i just looked up the anwsers......Please don't be on the test.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Or, if humidity is the only problem and you don't mind going further away, the Southwest will keep things very warm, but it'll be a dry heat

Honestly, dry heat sounds worse. I genuianly prefer cold weather.

And this is why you stick to increasing Stamina, more fun danger this way. But, you need to get the Hearts for the Master Sword, and if you want it sometime soon that means you can't go full Stamina.

Admitidly, i didn't do this during my playthrough but that definitly is the solution to making the game more exciting.

But despite it's late-game problems, i'd still place Breath of the Wild as the 3rd best Zelda game. 

It would've been nice actually if the game let you use Stamina instead to obtain the MS. Or, the game first drained your Stamina when you try to pull it out, and then goes through your Hearts, so it'd become irrelevant how you invested your Spirit Orbs. Just obtaining and spending them would be enough for the MS.

The worst part of the Master Sword is that it isn't even the best weapon in the game. I mean, sure it doesn't permamently break but there are way better weapons when it comes to damage output. Plus, Master Sword's only really good when close to Blight, otherwise it's a measly 30 power weapon.

Speaking of the Master Sword, how will be done in the sequel? Would Link lose it and you have to get it back? Or, if the game will be from Zelda's PoV instead, will she not be able to use the Master Sword at all, instead having access to Triforce powers? 

I slept throughout the majority of yesterday, yet my cold refuses to go away. Ugh.
At least I'm not as tired now, so... that's a thing.

As for my Blue Lions run, I have something to say about putting Annette on a Wyvern: she's better as a Mage, honestly. High movement is all well and good, but the girl doesn't have the stats for a frontline unit. Her defense in particular is lackluster for such purposes. Interestingly enough, this is basically the same reason I eventually decided against making Petra a Wyvern Rider, too. Also, Bolt Axe hit rates are pretty shit against anything not wielding a lance. And that's only with Lancebreaker equipped, so... yeah. Not to mention she doesn't double anything with that. In short: She's sticking with magic. At least she can actually double with that and has very reliable 100% hit rates.

On a slightly different note, Ingrid is turning out to be a complete waste, as does Sylvain, reinforcing my impression from my first playthrough that these two are not very good.

Some asshole in the neighborhood has played some techno music until just now. If I hate one thing, then ruining my sleep. 

North East of US is definitely less hot, but in winter it can be affected by blizzards. Since wind can come from north and south, the temperature can change a lot within a few hours. 

The West Coast has the most bearable climate conditions, but therefore  earthquakes are a thing. 

The worst area to live in is Texas and Oklahoma because of tornado alley. 

15 minutes ago, Armagon said:

So today in college math, i learned about synthetic division and my mind honestly just collapsed on itself. Like, look at this monstrosity of a problem

rvEQvA1.png

Like hell i was actually gonna learn how to solve that, i just looked up the anwsers......Please don't be on the test.

Ah, I remember this. It's not really that hard once you know the trick to them.

I highly doubt you won't be tested on them.

Out of curiosity, was the answer: -2x^3 - x^2 + 1, with 9 as the Remainder?

Edited by Acacia Sgt

On 10/17/2019 at 8:43 PM, Shrimperor said:

yeah, they kinda tend to be eh...

Honestly, 4GO had the potential to be pretty good, but it got marred by bugs and meh bosses.

Especially the bugs <.<

And for a game you should play with others, it's netcode......

Yup, I'm not getting that one.

On 10/18/2019 at 3:05 AM, Armagon said:

Reason #355 for me not to get that game.

On 10/18/2019 at 3:05 AM, Armagon said:

Ooh, that's not good. Get well soon, y'all.

Thank you!

---

Something I forgot to mention earlier: PSA for all Switch owners with a passing interest in Digimon: I don't know if it's exclusive to Europe, but the Nintendo eShop currently offers Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth and Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth Hacker's Memory as a bundle for €59.99, which would be around 30 bucks per game. As someone who has played both, let me tell you that it's gosh darn worth it (though Hacker's Memory's story isn't as great as the original's).

Heard they will also be released on PC... so, I'm waiting for that, instead.

Oh, it's already out there too. Cool.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

8 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Ah, I remember this. It's not really that hard once you know the trick to them.

As i've mentioned before, math is the ultimate bane of my existence. Even with the easier problems, i struggle. I actually haven't passed a single math test this semester and my math grade is pretty heavily relying on classwork to stay afloat. That's.....pretty much how it's been throughout my entire life.

17 minutes ago, Ingrid Brandl Galatea said:

North East of US is definitely less hot, but in winter it can be affected by blizzards. Since wind can come from north and south, the temperature can change a lot within a few hours.

Northeast also occasionally gets hit by hurricanes but it's usually not terrible since the southeast+islands (especially the islands) take the bullet.

9 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Reason #355 for me not to get that game.

Ok no, i wouldn't use that as a reason to not get S/S since wild encounters aren't random anymore. Being able to encounter higher-leveled Pokemon among lower-leveled ones is actually a pretty neat thing and having high-leveled stuff in the same areas as lower-leveled stuff is something i wish to see more often in JRPGs. Gives the player more reason to come back to earlier areas as opposed to just being done with them once they level up past the level range. 

Trails of Steel III will come out next week, but I have no desire to buy a PS4 just for that and IV. I really hope for a PC announcement soon. That said I must play Crossbell before anyways which will TAKE its time. I have made like no progress in Zero yet because Three Houses maddening and Valkyria Chronicles distracted me. 

7 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Northeast also occasionally gets hit by hurricanes but it's usually not terrible since the southeast+islands (especially the islands) take the bullet. 

Yes, but they will have lost power so longer they have crossed the mainland. 

Though hurricanes (of course only low category) tend to hit western Europe nowadays.

Dorian hit us, but not as hurricane anymore. 

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Ok no, i wouldn't use that as a reason to not get S/S since wild encounters aren't random anymore. Being able to encounter higher-leveled Pokemon among lower-leveled ones is actually a pretty neat thing and having high-leveled stuff in the same areas as lower-leveled stuff is something i wish to see more often in JRPGs. Gives the player more reason to come back to earlier areas as opposed to just being done with them once they level up past the level range. 

In the context with everything else I saw that turned me off from the game (Galar forms, Gigamax, a majority of the new Pokémon), it is the proverbial straw that broke the metaphorical camel's back.

As for the high level enemies in low level areas thing... While I do see your point, I'm not a fan of the concept. If I travel throughout an area for the first time, I don't want to suddenly get killed because I got near the wrong enemy that one time. There are better ways to make people come back to earlier areas, like getting a new ability that grants access to more areas/rare items within that area or quests that take you back there.

I know the Xeno franchise does that and the .gif you posted may be hilarious the first time (or when it doesn't happen to you), but if that happens frequently, I can imagine nothing but frustration coming from it.

31 minutes ago, Ingrid Brandl Galatea said:

Trails of Steel III will come out next week, but I have no desire to buy a PS4 just for that and IV. I really hope for a PC announcement soon.

It probably will come to PC eventually. PC is an important Western market for Falcom and having PC versions of CS3 and 4 also means having a majority of the series avaliable on PC (since everything sans Crossbell is already on Steam).

27 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

As for the high level enemies in low level areas thing... While I do see your point, I'm not a fan of the concept. If I travel throughout an area for the first time, I don't want to suddenly get killed because I got near the wrong enemy that one time.

True, there's definitly ways it could go wrong. And in regards to S/S, as Interimdimensional Observer mentioned in the last page, we currently don't know how to tell how high a Pokemon is leveled apart from maybe what kind of Pokemon it is. If finding out it's level is a game of chance, then yeah it's not a good idea.

27 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

I know the Xeno franchise does that and the .gif you posted may be hilarious the first time (or when it doesn't happen to you), but if that happens frequently, I can imagine nothing but frustration coming from it.

In Xenoblade (pre-Blade doesn't have those kinds of enemies), enemies being higher-leveled than everything else in the area does happen in most areas of each game but it's easy to not get in their line of sight. These enemies are usually off the beaten path but even in the rare times when they aren't, you can check an enemy's level without having to actually fight them so if you see an enemy that's like, 40 levels higher than you, you can look for a different route or you can charge right through them and hopefully not die.  And because Xenoblade battles are in real-time, if you do get surprised by a high-level enemy, whether in a battle or you were simply exploring when you accidentally got in it's line of sight, you can always just run and it'll stop chasing you after a few seconds. Also, losing in Xenoblade is a slap on the wrist. There are no game overs, you don't lose any items collected or EXP aquired. Losing just means getting sent back to the last landmark (skip travel point) you passed (and landmarks are plenty).

It's one of the reasons why i love Xenoblade worlds so much. The way high-level enemies and enemies closer to the player's level are integreated contributes to both the worlds feeling really alive (literally in Alrest's case) by creating an ecosystem and the aspect of exploration. Sometimes exploring will take you to more dangerous enemies that you can't fight right away but if you search for a different route or simply evade the enemies, then you can get where you wanted to go. The games encourage exploration and they never use high-level enemies to stop you from getting somewhere.

Edited by Armagon

Just now, Armagon said:

In Xenoblade (pre-Blade doesn't have those kinds of enemies), enemies being higher-leveled than everything else in the area does happen in most areas of each game but it's easy to not get in their line of sight. These enemies are usually off the beaten path but even in the rare times when they aren't, you can check an enemy's level without having to actually fight them so if you see an enemy that's like, 40 levels higher than you, you can look for a different route or you can charge right through them and hopefully not die.  And because Xenoblade battles are in real-time, if you do get surprised by a high-level enemy, you can always just run and it'll stop chasing you after a few seconds. Also, losing in Xenoblade is a slap on the wrist. There are no game overs, you don't lose any items collected or EXP aquired. Losing just means getting sent back to the last landmark (skip travel point) you passed (and landmarks are plenty).

It's one of the reasons why i love Xenoblade worlds so much. The way high-level enemies and enemies closer to the player's level are integreated contributes to both the worlds feeling really alive (literally in Alrest's case) by creating an ecosystem and the aspect of exploration. Sometimes exploring will take you to more dangerous enemies that you can't fight right away but if you search for a different route or simply evade the enemies, then you can get where you wanted to go. The games encourage exploration and they never use high-level enemies to stop you from getting somewhere.

Ah, I see. That does make it seem less frustrating. That's the kind of implementation of such a thing that I like. I especially like how you can actually see the enemy levels before you fight them.
Final Fantasy XII is similar in that regard; the enemies whose levels are too high are usually docile, so they won't attack you unless you attack them first (better leave those AOE spells packed in or you'll trigger them by accident). If I remember correctly, the powerful mini-bosses in the Neptunia games also don't attack you unless you touch them on the field.

37 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Outside those lovely 45C+ Summer days, I can vouch our only concern over here are the earthquakes.

Well at home we're not just suffering from shitty hot weather but effing droughts. There's hardly any rain and my relatives in Manilla are on level 4 water restrictions. Dams have run out on some of the nearby towns, such as Dubbo and are having to get water sent in on trucks. Why can't we just get a huge monsoon to storm bucketloads of water on us? Is that a hard ask???

39 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

That's the kind of implementation of such a thing that I like. I especially like how you can actually see the enemy levels before you fight them.

Yeah, being able to check levels is a huge benefit. It also lets you see other things about the enemy too. You can't see their attacks but you can see the detection-type (XC1, i think X) or element (Alrest duology) and all the games show you if it's a regular enemy, a boss or a Unique Monster/Tyrant (what Xenoblade uses to refer to optional bosses) so if you're gonna take on something, you can prep accordingly if needed. 

Final Fantasy XII is similar in that regard; the enemies whose levels are too high are usually docile, so they won't attack you unless you attack them first

Yeah, in Xenoblade it's somewhat the opposite. Most of the high-level enemies attack on sight but there are several docile ones too. Xenoblade 1 and X also have sound-type enemies which will aggro on you if you run past them but leave you alone if you walk past them. 1 (and maybe X) also have ether-detection enemies which aggro on you if you use ether Arts within their range. Regardless of detection type though, all enemies will become docile once you're a few levels higher than they are (specifically, enemies become docile once you are six levels higher than they are). So for example, if you come across a group of Lv.30 enemies when you're Lv.15, they will probably attack you if you get in their line of sight. But if you come back at Lv.50 and walk by those Lv.30 enemies, they won't even acknowledge your presence unless you attack them. The exception to this rule are the Unique Monsters/Tyrants, they will attack you on sight even if you're much higher-leveled than they are (the strongest Superboss of Xenoblade X is suprisignly the one exception because it's docile).

I should also mention that every enemy has a predetermined path. They will go from point A to point B on a specifc path (some enemies are actually stationary) and they won't move away from it unless you aggro them For example, the famous Territorial Rotbart (the Lv.81 gorrilla UM roaming the early-game grassy area) isn't wandering about randomly. It's following it's specific path and if you can avoid it's path, you won't get attacked by it. That ties back into what i said earlier about looking for a different route if you find a spot with a lot of enemies you can't take on at the moment.

If I remember correctly, the powerful mini-bosses in the Neptunia games also don't attack you unless you touch them on the field.

No, these attack on sight. I remember sometimes the mini-bosses would get the jump on me instead of the other way around.

Edited by Armagon

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Yeah, being able to check levels is a huge benefit. It also lets you see other things about the enemy too. You can't see their attacks but you can see the enemy type (XC1, i think X) or element (Alrest duology) and all the games show you if it's a regular enemy, a boss or a Unique Monster/Tyrant (what Xenoblade uses to refer to optional bosses) so if you're gonna take on something, you can prep accordingly if needed.

That is great. So you can, for instance, equip weapons/skills that deal super effective damage against certain monster types and try fighting them that way?
Neat.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Yeah, in Xenoblade it's somewhat the opposite. Most of the high-level enemies attack on sight but there are several docile ones too. Xenoblade 1 and X also have sound-type enemies which will aggro on you if you run past them but leave you alone if you walk past them. There's also ether-detection enemies which aggro on you if you use ether Arts within their range. Regardless of detection type though, all enemies will become docile once you're a few levels higher than they are. So for example, if you come across a group of Lv.30 enemies when you're Lv.15, they will probably attack you if you get in their line of sight. But if you come back at Lv.50 and walk by those Lv.30 enemies, they won't even acknowledge your presence unless you attack them. The exception to this rule are the Unique Monsters/Tyrants, they will attack you on sight even if you're much higher-leveled than they are (the strongest Superboss of Xenoblade X is suprisignly the one exception because it's docile).

I should also mention that every enemy has a predetermined path. They will go from point A to point B on a specifc path (some enemies are actually stationary) and they won't move away from it unless you aggro them For example, the famous Territorial Rotbart (the Lv.81 gorrilla UM roaming the early-game grassy area) isn't wandering about randomly. It's following it's specific path and if you can avoid it's path, you won't get attacked by it. That ties back into what i said earlier about looking for a different route if you find a spot with a lot of enemies you can't take on at the moment.

And now I am reminded of the F.O.E.'s in Etrian Odyssey (short for Field On Enemy (in Japanese) and Formido Oppugnatura Exsequens (in English - Dafuq, Atlus?)). Those are also very powerful (at least the game tells you this) and they have a set pattern unless you aggro them.
And that, in turn, reminds me of this glorious meme:

7 minutes ago, Armagon said:

No, these attack on sight. I remember sometimes the mini-bosses would get the jump on me instead of the other way around.

Whoops. My mistake!

16 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

That is great. So you can, for instance, equip weapons/skills that deal super effective damage against certain monster types and try fighting them that way?
Neat.

Yeah. Xenoblade gives you enough information to prepare for something (though that doesn't stop some fights from being a pain). And like i mentioned before, losing doesn't cost you anything so trial and error is a perfectly valid tactic.

I did edit my post to clarify that when i said enemy types, i was refering to detection types (like if they are docile or if they aggro based on *insert type here*). The actual enemy types (like if they are a bug enemy or a mechanical enemy) aren't told but that's because you can tell what type of enemy it is just by looking at it's appearance.

16 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Formido Oppugnatura Exsequens (in English - Dafuq, Atlus?)

Well how are you gonna know it's powerful if it doesn't have the 

That's a glorious video btw.

Edited by Armagon