Rate the Unit, Day 39: Vaida

Thor Odinson

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With Vaida camping over them in Hector mode, does anyone bother with the shops in Unfulfilled Heart?

Never bothered, but Hawkeye should be able to lure her away and survive easily with the boost from a peak.

Never bothered, but Hawkeye should be able to lure her away and survive easily with the boost from a peak.

I prefer my 4 fliers method of getting the shops safely with no chance of even encountering Vaida. I think at least one needs to be promoted, I forget. It involves lots of rescuing and fliers rescuing other fliers after other fliers "take" the flier that was rescued by another flier. Good times.

However small the chance of Hawkeye dying on a peak, it was too high for my tastes.

Hm, Vaida's not really that good a unit. She flies, but can't reliably double to kill anything on her join chapter, apart from the Wyvern Riders that follow her into the chapter, of which is far too late anyway. Her defense and offense is good, at least. Pretty useless, really. However when not facing magic, she has great durability in situations involving many physical units, and is reliable in them.

Raven's rating: 40%

Edit: Wow 25% is the harshest score yet lol. I'll raise it to 40%.

Edited by Railgunz

A rather decent Flying unit even if she does come quite late. High HP,Str,Def(47/22/22) is very nice, 14 base speed lets her down a bit, but due to her con(12!) and A rank Swords, I'd say she's a relatively good choice to use the Brave Sword, Since there are few sword users who'll reasonably have 22 Strength or more at that time(Basically her, Raven and Harken) and she's got flying on top of that.

5.5/10

She's got decent stats and comes with a Spear (sadly not the uberspear), and flies. But her low availability and her being outclassed by every other flier who joins hurts. But if you don't use flyers she is a great choice.

5.5/10

Did someone really just invoke Silencer as an argument for Jaffar > Vaida? Silencer is completely useless except for the minor experience boost. (And yes, it does work on Nergal.)

Onto Vaida. Comes late, yes, but is arguably your best flier while you have her (so long as the Aid issue doesn't hold you back; if it does, she's top two). She's certainly better than Heath, who comes too late and too underleveled, and Farina, who's too pricy.

6/10

EDIT: Wow, Heath > Hector according to these lists. Heath is completely subpar.

Edited by God Brady

Heath is actually pretty good and pretty easy to train thanks to desert being a giant boon for him (being one of the few units that can give no crap about terrain and can take a few hits from his fellow wyverns. He and another flier can also help grab Pent so Pent doesn't eat all your exp ever so you can access the sidequest, and I prefer his performance rather than the pegs since with their speed cut in half the pegs kinda...die really easily. He's also capable of ferrying promoted Hector's fat ass even after promotion, and having two fliers do rescuedropping in certain instances could speed up things a lot.

Hector's two biggest issues are his promotion time(right before C30, really IS?) and his movement. The former of which is far less fixable than the latter since Hector's at least a decent boots candidate.

Edited by Luminescent Blade

Vaida. Horrifying. But powerful.

She comes with A Spear, powerful in its own right.

She has manly bases.

She has manly looks

She has a manly loyal personality.

I give her a manly 7/10.

Heath's recruitment situation is atrocious. Both the chapter he comes in and the chapter immediately following are filled with mages and archers, and Pure waters can only do so much. On ranked, he's somewhat helpful in regards to experience, but I can't imagine him doing next to anything in efficiency, what with having two superior fliers already.

As for Hector, he's got the best HHM availability, is required to complete chapters (aka is always fielded without penalty), has access to a wonderful Prf. weapon, has a best-in-game support with Eliwood; late promotion means little when he gets free deployment from the beginning of the game until the end. Hector >> Heath should be a no-brainer.

Heath is good though. Really good. I find him to be kind of a pain in the ass to train but hes good. Once you get over his speed hump, he rapes. I didnt get to rate him because the rating happened when my interwebz was on the fritz. I would have given him a 7/10, 9/10 biased rating. I do agree that Hector > Heath though. Cuz i just love Hector.

dondon managed to use Heath well in his 0 growth videos, and that's pretty damn efficient. Getting him 3 levels then promoting isn't a difficult nor inefficient task, and efficiency wants you to use all those high move units anyway. Pure Water+Ninis Grace on enemy phase can take out a good amount of archers and mages without much difficulty on the desert.

Boots doesn't even come until Battle Before Dawn, however, and Hector is required to be ferried places since his movement is absolutely balls. Nevermind that he doesn't get that +1 move on promotion like most units, even if he did, his promotion is super late, so he's stuck at 5 move until BBD, and that IF you choose to use the boots on him. By that time, your units should be mostly promoted, which means even the foot units has 1 on him, and the mounts beat him by 3. That's... not exactly an ideal situation to be in, forced or not.

Anyway counting time

I believe Karla is next because Ninian and Nils are like the same unit anyway

I'll always defer to dondon on issues of efficiency, but I can't imagine three fliers doing a whole ton, and the numbers of turns shaved off likely doesn't compare to costless full-game deployment. But who knows; I've been wrong on issues of efficiency before.

Ranked, though? Pretty awful. And I'm not sure how fair it is to dock Hector for being your main lord, effectively. Needing to get ferried around is just a part of the gig.

Vaida averages out to be a 5.53

...Still better than Eliwood. 8]

I guess that's with my last-minute change taken into account? And you must really not like Eliwood.

I hate typos.

Edited by Metal King Slime

I'd think Hector probably rates higher in Ranked than Efficiency, since movement isn't that big of a deal there. Heath's bases are actually pretty serviceable despite the low base stat, so I don't think he'd be bad in Ranked either, as he'd be getting more exp per kill than most of your main team while being a fairly durable flier is always nice.

I think that we should've rated efficiency and ranked separately with casual as a third category, so that people would know the expected contributions of each unit in three completely different play styles rather than just one whole indicator. (my votes tend to be more efficiency based since I'm not too familiar with ranked, so that skews things in the efficient direction at least by a little) They wouldn't be averaged together, or anything, since that'd defeat the purpose of separating, but eh, I thought of that like, on the Nino vote. So kinda too late to implement.

I guess that's with my last-minute change taken into account? And you must really not like Eliwood.

Yes.

I don't dislike Eliwood on a character basis, but he's been so disappointing in the last few playthroughs that using him is literally a detriment to the quality of my team. So I'm pretty damn pissed at him. Still gonna train him in subsequent playthroughs so I can get Geitz, but if he doesn't up his performance, he ain't redeeming himself any time soon.

I think that we should've rated efficiency and ranked separately with casual as a third category, so that people would know the expected contributions of each unit in three completely different play styles rather than just one whole indicator. (my votes tend to be more efficiency based since I'm not too familiar with ranked, so that skews things in the efficient direction at least by a little) They wouldn't be averaged together, or anything, since that'd defeat the purpose of separating, but eh, I thought of that like, on the Nino vote. So kinda too late to implement

I like that idea. No rush, of course, but maybe in the coming months or years, we'll get around to a more specified ranking system.