Rate the Unit Day 3: Franz

13th

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't banned. Why is that? Because he isn't worth 10+.

9.25/10

-.5 for early chapter frailty

-.25 for requiring levels before becoming unstoppable, as well as a KC.

Frankly, I think he's overshadowed by Seth. You can stomp through the first part of the game with Seth, and by the time you need to use other units, he's rather underlevelled. It's not a very strong argument, and I know I'm ignoring his many good points, primarily that he basically becomes a second Seth that makes Seth stronger, but I think his class means he should be in direct competition with Seth for a place.

6.5/10

Edited by Baldrick

Frankly, I think he's overshadowed by Seth. You can stomp through the first part of the game with Seth, and by the time you need to use other units, he's rather underlevelled. It's not a very strong argument, and I know I'm ignoring his many good points, primarily that he basically becomes a second Seth that makes Seth stronger, but I think his class means he should be in direct competition with Seth for a place.

6.5/10

Why do you hate nice things?

Also, the crux of your argument here is essentially "NotSeth" which is explicitly banned.

EDIT: And if my reading comprehension skills are up to snuff this early in the morning, you seem to be ...deliberately ignoring his good points (that you know he has) to ...make a bad review because ...why?

Edited by Integrity

Franz is basically Seth if he were Lv1/0 instead of --/1.

For a unit that joins in Chapter 1, his bases are decent enough. 7str/7spd isn't the greatest in the world, but he is 2HKOing fighters in his join map with iron sword, and ORKOs soldiers regardless of weapon. Against 24HP/4def brigands in C2 and C3, he still takes 3/8 of their HP off. Not bad. One of his finer points is his spd, with a 50% growth, it shouldn't take him long to double. And with his 40% str growth and potential Seth/Forde supports, he's doing that with good atk to boot.

His durability is decent overall. 20HP/6def is getting 3HKO'd at worst by anything that isn't a boss, and has WTC in his favor to get himself out of fluke 2HKO's. 80HP/25def is about the same as Garcia and he can get full def from Gilliam, so it's not like he's going to be frail ever.

Things become really ridiculous once he promotes. A 15/1 Paladin Franz has slightly better stats than base Seth with 33HP/14str/15spd/12def, on top of 8 move and partial WTC, which isn't bad overall. If you feel the movement is superfluous, you can use GK for better promo bonuses and access to axes.

The only reason he doesn't get a 10 is because he's not Seth.

This is essentially all I could ever say (and think) on Franz. However, I'm going to give him a 9/10 instead of a 9.5. It does take a little while for him to really get going, short of REALLY lucky level ups or stat abuse (not that his growths aren't awesome already), while Seth is awesome right off the bat -- and he's the baseline for a 10/10 on this game.

EDIT: @ Baldrick: Cavs do not "compete" with one another, for the most part. Unlike classes like (good) archers or healers, there's no detriment to having too many cavs most of the time. Now, like fliers, the usefulness of your 4th or 5th cav may wane compared to your 1st or 2nd because you start hitting diminishing returns, but they're still great units.

Edited by Kngt_Of_Titania

Franz gets a 9.5 out of ten, the .5 being pulled off because I don't like him and his start isn't as gr9mazing as Seth's.

Edited by Knuckles

Franz huh, well him having to get to appear in Ch. 1 makes it so you can train through the whole game. He is normally by the time you get knight crest the only one who can use it (in my playthrough's at least ). And in My oppinion he's the best cavalier in the game, probably by the end of the game he is the second strongest you have (unless you said screw it and send him to suicide or never use him.

Also for so far I know in some cases when you make him a great knight it's as if he's superior to Seth, also he can gain experience much faster.

Now that I think of it I can't say how many times he gets a critical and almost never misses.

so yeah 9.90

EDIT: @ Baldrick: Cavs do not "compete" with one another, for the most part. Unlike classes like (good) archers or healers, there's no detriment to having too many cavs most of the time. Now, like fliers, the usefulness of your 4th or 5th cav may wane compared to your 1st or 2nd because you start hitting diminishing returns, but they're still great units.

I don't know, I kind of agree with Baldrick. Not on the competition due to class thing. That's just silly since I'm not saying there's only 1 cav/paladin on my team. But, like so many other units early, he struggles to get exp because Seth is destroying the game. For example, for a long time my Seth had a higher level in tier 2 than anyone in tier 1. Like, he was level --/9.5 and nobody else was level 9.5+. Maybe I just did a bad job of getting exp for Franz or something?

I don't know, I kind of agree with Baldrick. Not on the competition due to class thing. That's just silly since I'm not saying there's only 1 cav/paladin on my team. But, like so many other units early, he struggles to get exp because Seth is destroying the game. For example, for a long time my Seth had a higher level in tier 2 than anyone in tier 1. Like, he was level --/9.5 and nobody else was level 9.5+. Maybe I just did a bad job of getting exp for Franz or something?

That sounds p. typical actually for a playthrough that uses Seth.

I think his class means he should be in direct competition with Seth for a place.

There is no limit to how many Paladins you can deploy.

WHY DOES EVERYONE THINK THERE IS A CLASS LIMIT.

Also, the crux of your argument here is essentially "NotSeth" which is explicitly banned.

EDIT: And if my reading comprehension skills are up to snuff this early in the morning, you seem to be ...deliberately ignoring his good points (that you know he has) to ...make a bad review because ...why?

Discouraged, not banned.

6.5 isn't a bad score by any means. Especially when he's being propped up by 9+ scores from about 97% of the others.

There is no limit to how many Paladins you can deploy.

WHY DOES EVERYONE THINK THERE IS A CLASS LIMIT.

No arguments with any of that, but years of Pokemon have infused me with a "variety is the spice of life" attitude, and given the choice between Seth and Franz, and say, Seth and Joshua, I'll always choose the latter, unless I'm doing an LTC run and need the extra move.

EDIT: ITT: No cav spam = Idiotic

EDIT: ITT: No cav spam = Idiotic

That is not what I said.

What I said was that thinking that you can only use one of Franz and Seth is ridiculous. I apply the same to any class. If someone said you couldn't use, like, Klein and Igrene together I'd say that was ridiculous. Hell, even Wil and Rebecca on a purely 'they're both snipers' basis. I'm not preventing you from ONLY using one paladin, I'm saying it's stupid to penalise Franz unfairly for your personal deployment quirks.

Edited by Furetchen

That is not what I said.

Sorry, that part wasn't directed at you. I merged your reply with KoT's because you were saying basically the same thing, then added a bit for DE because he ninja'd my reply.

No arguments with any of that, but years of Pokemon have infused me with a "variety is the spice of life" attitude, and given the choice between Seth and Franz, and say, Seth and Joshua, I'll always choose the latter, unless I'm doing an LTC run and need the extra move.

So you admit that Franz is more useful than Joshua?