Jubby

I like the idea but it could be a pain to hack in.

It's actually not even close. Not *quite* as easy as

It's a pain? You could probably just set promotions for the classes of promoted units.

makes it out to be, but it's still pretty simple.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's not difficult, really - it does involve new animations and if some already exist, the problem is making sure that a unit's promoted palette works with both the 2nd and 3rd tier animations (characters only get a promoted palette)

Yeah, if you use new animations (or re-use old ones) you have to re-arrange the palette strings or they'll look wonky.

I think the EXP formula gets a bit wonky since the exp buffer routine checks a single bit (a true/false value) for "promoted", and factors it in once. IE, you get the less EXP for killing a --/--/5 enemy than a --/20 enemy (assuming that every other factor is constant, of course).

Edited by Camtech

3rd tiers r dumb.

Honestly, 2 tiers is a long enough game, and it's hard to make promoting exciting twice.

^ this so much

especially since this is your first formal hack, making 3 tiers is not a good idea. And balancing that with GBA's limitations is pretty difficult as well. I mean caps for instance:

15 for all stats unpromo?

(15+normal capped stat) for promo 1

and normal cap for promo 2

seems quite lackluster.

Example: Myrm -> Swordmaster -> Trueblade

45 -> 60 -> 80 HP

15 -> 19 -> 24 Strength

15 -> 22 -> 29 Skill

15 -> 22 -> 30 Speed

15 -> 18 -> 22 Defense

15 -> 19 -> 23 Skill

15 -> 20 -> 25 Max Con

8 -> 9 -> 10 Con

30 Luck

So unless you give these units awful growths and no promotion bonuses, it just seems kinda pointless.

Edited by Kitty of Time

Well, if it helps you to choose whether to have them or not, there was this hack that attempted to use 3 tier promotions in FE8. It didn't work too well to say the least.

But then again it's your hack so it's up to you. Just throwing my two cents here.

but I've gotta try it mellow.gif

no you don't

there are just things

that don't have to be tried

to know that they are bad.

And third tier classes are one of those things.

no seriously if your only argument is that "I've gotta try it guys!" when everyone's telling you "no you don't it's a bad idea!" and they're the ones pointing out facts while you're working on assumptions, you don't have to try it. Sit it down, and let it gooooo.

Edited by seph1212

I'm sorry mate :( I've just always wanted to see it done... BUT ya know what, I'm not exactly awesome at balancing stats. And I DO respect you guys, sooooo if you guys don't think so, I might as well not put in a whole shitload of effort, so thanks for the input guys. Tier 3s are dead to me :'( (What if I put in a couple tier 0's?)

Tier 0s are fine, as long as you don't spam them everywhere. Though I dunno if this is an FE7 or 8 hack. So I dunno how tough that would be to implement.

in za future, if you seriously want to attempt balancing third tiers, play FE2 first. It's the one FE game that got third tiers right. And for all the wrong reasons

Edited by seph1212

Well tier 0's could be implemented just as easily as tier 3's but ahhh Idk, I'll see what happens :P I was thinking tier 0's just for the lord units 'cause I normally don't care for lords (Maybe giving them extra opportunities for levels will make them more useable?) We'll see. Again would require some playthrough and testing to see if it'll break the gameplay and whatnot. Cause we wouldn't want that. :O

Edit: And okay, I haven't gotten any earlier than FE6 yet :P

Edited by Jubby

It's more so that we all care about you since you seem to have a level head on your shoulders, and we don't want to see you get super deep into tough balancing and stuff in your first hack. Take it slow and learn as you go :3

Well tier 0's could be implemented just as easily as tier 3's but ahhh Idk, I'll see what happens :P I was thinking tier 0's just for the lord units 'cause I normally don't care for lords (Maybe giving them extra opportunities for levels will make them more useable?) We'll see. Again would require some playthrough and testing to see if it'll break the gameplay and whatnot. Cause we wouldn't want that. :O

Ohno, by that I meant hackingwise, not statwise or anything :P

I'm not so sure about that. If you intend to keep the level 10 auto-promote, that's an ASM routine. Capping the level at 10 is another, I can already see the psuedo-code of the necessary routine. You'd have to allocate a bit in the class data to flag it as a trainee, then do something like this:

[spoiler=psuedo-code routine]

// DISCLAIMER: I have no idea what I'm doing with the syntax of these function calls (or anything in this spoiler in general)
.org LevelupRoutine;

// Loads a single byte, which can be then split...
AbilityData = _ldrb(unit_ptr,whichByte);

// ...into an array of bits.
if (AbilityData[TraineeBit])
{
 // Branch is essentially the same thing as JUMP.
 if (level + 1 <= 10) { _branch(rest_of_this_damn_function()); }
 else { return; }
}

rest_of_this_damn_function : void

Edited by Camtech

Yeah, um, there's still kinks in that idea... :$ I'll see what I can do, again if it doesn't work out, I won't put it in :P

Thanks for writing it up for me Cam, if I can figure out what that means at some point I bet it'lll be useful :D

And thanks seph, that made my day a bit :3

Yippeee, yet another question from this inquisitive bastard Kay, sorry, but... Wait what am I saying, you people love voicing your opinions, don't you? It's a forum. Silly me.

KAY! Would you rather have different growth options, or a sort of standard set (My class growths may be a little more exaggerated than normal to help balance it out, too) and then the option to seize with your MU character? :D