Jubby

Ahhh, interesting. And they're already 16x16 and everything? (Oh I forgot to reply to your PM, my bad :( I started reading it and then was forced to log off, so I'll go do that now :3)

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eh guys, guess I'll just drop this here... I'm pretty much done the events for the MyUnit selection chapter thing. All I've got left is to specify co-ordinates which I'll do as soon as Celice is done the map :D (It looks really good so far, and there may be a special palette involved) oh yeah and I'll probably have to troubleshoot like hell once I've gotten the events assembled cause it'll give me a million errors.

So right now I'm just kinda doing whatever :P Working on that soldier a bit more, planning third tiers for the lulz.

For weapon icons, I'm doing custom resizes of FE10's icons, so new but not new!

Got 18 million weapon locks in the works, including implementing knives, longbows etc

Moar spritez

So yeah. I have a lot of EVERYTHING planned right now, but I'm probably going to get the MyUnit events working before implementing all these things :P

o.o IT IS COMING ALIVE!!! I'm glad to see you have everything planned. Seriously, because as we all know, knowing is half the battle. The other is OVERPOWERED WEAPONS. I hope everything goes well for you. This looks amazing, and I can't wait for it. I wish you well with all the things you have planned.

Good news- Arch taught me of a way to rewrite the events system to make waaay more sense, so I should be able to have the events done as soon as I can modify them to work with that (On the whole though, it'll make the player's enjoyment of the game a lot more smooth and flawless till Cam writes that ASM :D) Then I'll just have to put the finishing touches on the map that Celice most generously provided, and I can probably have screenshots or something in the next couple days :3

He just gave me the offset of an ASM routine that checks if the Tactician is female, so an IFAF condition can be used :3 The old system went something like this:

LOU1 chooser character

LOU1 male class representatives

LOU1 female class representatives

Then you talked to the male or female class representatives and got whatever class they had; but I had to make sure people who made their tactician male couldn't choose male classes and vice versa, so basically when you talked to a male class it looked like this:

DummyConversation:

TEXTIFTACTF 0xYYYY 0xXXXX

IFYN 0x01

//Yes/no prompt; If Yes:

//music code of some kind

LOU1 Maleofxxclass

//(This group would contain the male MyUnit character slot, and the female one in an invisible slot; then to prevent the female //from loading

KILL FemaleMyUnitCharSlot

// in other chapters, they were killed off in this line, then they wouldn't be playable for the rest of the game and stuff)

MakeNPC ChooserCharacter

// Cause you don't want the chooser to come into the next chapter with you

GOTO 0x01

// Then proceeds to the next chapter and you can start the game

ELSE 0x02

ENIF 0x01

ENUF 0x05 //Set event ID for the conversation to unused in case you later change your mind and want that class

ENIF 0x02

And that was it :3 The IFYN prompt was there to make sure you wanted that class, of course, but mostly to prevent people from choosing the male classes with a female tactician. The 0xXXXX text slot (The one displayed for females) wouldn't have a [yes] code in FEditor, so since it didn't give the option, the IFYN code would probably glitch the game, and you'd have to restart the prologue, and not be able to pick a male class if you were female. If I'm explaining this poorly just let me know :$ Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut

Arch's ASM routine thing checks if the tactician is female, so my opening events now look like this:

IFAF 0x01 0xE01471

//Checks if it's female

LOU1 MaleClassChoosers

//If it's false, i.e. the tact is male, load male class chooser guys

ENUN

ELSE 0x02

ENIF 0x01

LOU1 FemaleClassChoosers

//If true, i.e. they're female, load the female class choosers

ENUN

ENIF 0x02

OOBB

STAL 0x20

//Out of beginning blackness and stall for a bit so the player can see the units, theeeen

Text(0x0814)

//Explain that you go talk to the chooser character with the class of your choice with this text event

LOU1 Good

//Load "Good" which contains your character you control that you use to walk up and talk to the class chooser guys with

ENUN

ENDA

And BAM, that's it. I left in the IFYN code so if you accidentally talk to the wrong guy or something you don't have to keep them but now there's no need to glitch it if they try to talk to a female character, because, quite simply, they can't. Thanks to Arch's helpful hint it won't load the female characters if you choose a male tactician :D What do you think?

Edit: spoiler'd for size :3

Edited by Jubby

Nice, nice. I always cringe when I see comments like

//There's no space after the '//' here

but coding-wise it looks great.

Could probably be made even better like this:

Main:
 // Check if tact is female
 IFAF 0x01 0xE01471
   // If false, tact is male. Branch to choosing males.
   JUMP chooseMale
 ENIF 0x01

// This is never reached if the IFAF returns false (if the tact is male)
chooseFemale:
 LOU1 FemaleClassChoosers
 ENUN
 JUMP DoTheRest

// The JUMP skips this if a female is chosen.
chooseMale:
 LOU1 MaleClassChoosers 
 ENUN

DoTheRest:
 // Clear beginning blackness. Display units.
 OOBB
 STAL 0x20
 // "Talk to your unit of choice"
 Text(0x0814)
 // Load player.
 LOU1 Good
 ENUN
 ENDA

indentation I think is ignored by the compiler, I just do it that way out of habit. I know it can be kind of weird to use this sort of if/else branching (JUMP and all that), but in the end it uses a lot less code (therefore a lot less space in-ROM) and, as you can see, I also managed to use one less condition ID.

then again in the end the differences are so minor it's probably not worth it

Edited by Camtech

So it basically eliminates the need for the ELSE statement? That way if it is true it'll just skip over the male and go straight to the female automatically without the ELSE having to be specified? That makes sense (if I'm understanding that properly lol)

And my comments were actually spaced so that they were on the same line but stuck waaaay over, so the comment related to the line next to it, but then when I posted it got rid of all the extra spaces and I just hit enter :$ Thanks, though!

For the most part, yes. There might be some cases where ELSE might be necessary, but I can't think of any off the top of my head; this is how assembly code handles if/else branching. and if IS did it, it must be good!

edit:

and I meant that I cringe at comments that don't have whitespace between the '//' and the actual text.

// This is good
vs.
//This is not

Edited by Camtech

Oh yes, IS's stuff is always good enough for me. It was good enough to make this forum based on it, after all

I gotcha, though, that makes sense. If it'll save space, why the hell not XD So can I actually just copy paste that to my events and just change the unit labels and it should work? (I don't wanna screw anything up by accident :3)

Edit: and oh, my bad :$ Noted for next timeee.

Edited by Jubby

Sooooo only 43 event errors, and all 'cause I didn't input values yet or just forgot to define stuff. I'm actually proud :3

Edit: No errors or warnings.

Please continue being awesome.

FUCK YEAH

Edit again: got a black screen. I'm going to assume it's cause I haven't expanded any of my tables so any new classes I've added can't load.

Edited by Jubby

So I'm kinda curious if you've decided on what classes we're gonna get for My Unit? So far it seems that, judging by Jubby's comments, Soldier and Dark Mage/Shaman/whatever you wanna call it, are confirmed. Maybe you should put some of the choices in the screenshots?

All the available classes should be in the screenshots, since I don't have a list handy. I just took the top 10 classes from each gender from the poll, and made it those :3 All MY favourites made the list so I was cool with the choices :P

All the available classes should be in the screenshots, since I don't have a list handy. I just took the top 10 classes from each gender from the poll, and made it those :3 All MY favourites made the list so I was cool with the choices :P

Well, you were certainly lucky Jubby in that regard. Either that or you subtly mind-controlled us so well we didn't realize it. Conspiracy theories aside, how many errors you get in the My unit creator thingy now? Last I heard it was 43 due to you mostly not inputting stuff.

Yup, everything's defined now so none. However, since I still have to add a few classes (at least, that's the gist of it) the events can't work juuuuust yet. :( I'll get to it though, March break starting tomorrow XP And lol I mindcontrol EVERYTHINGGGGG

Yup, everything's defined now so none. However, since I still have to add a few classes (at least, that's the gist of it) the events can't work juuuuust yet. :( I'll get to it though, March break starting tomorrow XP And lol I mindcontrol EVERYTHINGGGGG

Oh boy. Breaks from school MEAN PROGRESS! Let us all rejoice for progress! Let's just hope no compy problems happen. Oh boy...I just tempted fate didn't I? Also, yes. You mind control EVERYTHINGGGGGG.

You betcha. I tested the events out and they seemed to work... Kinda. I made a bit of an error so far lol, it wouldn't load the chooser unit but I can iron that out. Figured I'd test it without the extra classes to make sure it worked before I bothered adding them in :3

You betcha. I tested the events out and they seemed to work... Kinda. I made a bit of an error so far lol, it wouldn't load the chooser unit but I can iron that out. Figured I'd test it without the extra classes to make sure it worked before I bothered adding them in :3

Good idea. Speaking of testing, how are you gonna beta test? You gonna enlist people or do it yourself?

Uhhh... Dunno. I know of a few people who are interested to do it, so I maaaaaay let them have at it? Don't have much yet in terms of actual playability though; since the events for tactician are kind of a bitch to think of/write out/perfect, I've been doing all the hard work first lol. Hopefully when I'm done the MU events it'll be a lot quicker to do chapters and all... although I can't promise to work on it constantly or anything, sometimes ya need breaks.