Rate the Unit, Day 16: Kyle

On a horse. Availability isn't as nice as Franz (Seth is out of this equation because he's motherfucking Seth) but not many people has availability like Franz. A little more than half the game is still nice. Base level could be better, but hey, horse so he won't have too much trouble catching up on those Sethless runs. Has Knight Crest competition, but isn't all that bad when in play. Str is nice and while speed is iffy, at least this is FE8 so it's not that big of a issue. I mean the enemies here are less than HHM quality and you need what, 16 AS to double all non-boss, non-Swordie enemies around lategame in HHM? He can tank anyway so that's a nice bonus. 7/10

Kyle is this guy with green hair and is all srs business.

Pros:

Dat defense.

Good strength.

Horsie.

Can use the entire weapon triangle if one so wishes.

Has some cool supports.

Cons:

Speed can get srsly screwed.

Dat res. :unsure:

Kyle can (and usually does) have doubling issues. This tends to pick up though and he tanks. His non-existent res can really bite him in the ass though.

7/10. Hes pretty solid.

Probably because both Forde and Kyle are statistically awful?

They aren't so awful that they simply fail for their entire existence. They get by, quickly, in a game where getting by is just fine. Gilliam is too slow (mov wise). Lute is too frail.

Cavalier with decent stats.

7/10

That's deep, bro.

He's stronger than Forde (who's not that weak himself), but he's slower and despite his decent def base, his growth is pretty sad in that department (also has to compete with Franz and Forde for a KK, who are both superior). I guess a 7/10 is fair.

Yeah man, you need team diversity. Let's use scrubs like Gilliam and Lute instead of Forde. Why would you use two of the most broken class when you can have only one broken and one mediocre class?

Knight Crest competition is actually a very good reason to diversify your team.

Anyway, Kyle. Virtually identical to Forde, except in the areas they're not. Forde has the unfortunate luck of winning all the stats that don't matter, and speed. The last is NOT a significant win (1 + 5%) less than or equal to the three stats Kyle wins, all of which matter. (Incidentally, Forde's speed advantage disappeared when they try to wield heavier weapons.) It's not significant enough to give him a major advantage, until you factor in Franz. Forde's average stats make him inferior to a trained Franz forever, but Kyle wins defense and surpasses Franz in strength. So Kyle has a clear win over Forde. It's not the strongest argument, but it's better than "Forde will be str-blessed" and "Forde has first dibs on Silver weapons".

7/10

and his garbage caps mean he's next to useless in CC.

What the fuck? Are we playing the same CC here? What about GK's monstrous 29 DEF is garbage? 24 SPD is certainly on the lower end, but how much SPD do you need again?

EDIT: Anyway, 8/10 from me and tallying now.

Edited by Integrity

Probably because both Forde and Kyle are statistically awful?

What part of them is statistically awful? They're not as good as Franz but they have an easier time leveling, and again even if they could only 2RKO they would still be better than 90% of your options (and not just cause most of those also can't ORKO reliably).

Eh....If 5/10 means middle of the line in terms of FE8 units, I can see Forde being quite close with his...lameness. Man, if he can't contribute much during drafts where I have a limited team and am expected to make full of use of him, how much can he really contribute in a playthrough with Seth or even a playthrough with Franz?

I've always found Kyle to be more useful, although I'm sure if you looked at averages and stuff, they'd be pretty close together. Still, Forde is a SOCIAL KNIGHT, and that's gotta be worth something.

6/10.

Eh....If 5/10 means middle of the line in terms of FE8 units, I can see Forde being quite close with his...lameness. Man, if he can't contribute much during drafts where I have a limited team and am expected to make full of use of him, how much can he really contribute in a playthrough with Seth or even a playthrough with Franz?

I've always found Kyle to be more useful, although I'm sure if you looked at averages and stuff, they'd be pretty close together. Still, Forde is a SOCIAL KNIGHT, and that's gotta be worth something.

6/10.

Isn't this the wrong thread for rating Forde?

What the fuck? Are we playing the same CC here? What about GK's monstrous 29 DEF is garbage? 24 SPD is certainly on the lower end, but how much SPD do you need again?

The ONLY place in CC that would give Kyle any beef is the later levels in the Ruins because Kyle's res is poopy. Everywhere else, bro is gold so like, yeah i agree with you.

The ONLY place in CC that would give Kyle any beef is the later levels in the Ruins because Kyle's res is poopy. Everywhere else, bro is gold so like, yeah i agree with you.

Sure, but even then GB was referencing Kyle's caps and GK's RES cap is still a deathblasting 25 - higher than most non-caster classes. So ...