Let's Localize the FE12 Cast

Let's play the localization game, shall we? Since the old FE12 topic was closed, there's no longer a designated place to yell about name changes. The vacuum must be filled, I feel, so that our community may continue to quarrel over these things.

In that vain, I propose that we, as a community, just localize the cast. The entire cast. Change all the names that seem silly. Sound like a plan? Who knows, maybe even the translators will take notice if something comes along that isn't reviled.

Here's my list of proposals, proceed to tear them apart and make your own:

• Santos is a possible modification for Samto, being a Spanish first name. Samto itself strikes as a bit bizarre, but still acceptable as a name.
  • Maris v. Malice: Maris is a Latin name meaning "of the sea." Malice is, obviously, a thing. Malice perhaps fits her personality better (a greedy mercenary), but unless the character's name is a psuedonym Maris seems more appropriate as a name for a character.
  • Sheema's always struck me as a strange name. A few options proposed a while back were: Sima (sorta replicating the original sound, more aesthetically pleasing I believe) and Shanna (a bit more brave of a change, it gives the character an uncommon western name). This one could always be put up for a vote; but, as voting goes, Sheema would probably win.
  • Luke and Rody are perfectly fine. Only thought on these two is that Roddy (with the added d) is a variant of Roderick (an old German name), the name Roddy means "famous power." Adding the second d, though, seems a little pointless (the English localization did things like swap letters, Gordon -> Gordin, and alter spellings while preserving the intended name, like Lawrence -> Lorenz).
  • Yumina and Yubello, I feel, would probably be given radically different names in an official localization. Not endorsing radicalism per say, just pointing out that thought. I've seen Yubel used in anime before, which would be a safe variant of Yubello to go with. No idea on what to do with Yumina though. A search on thinkbabynames.com (great place for looking up names, along with Behind the Name) for "Yumina" suggests similar sounding names: Amina, Yemina (both Arabic), Jamina (Hebrew), and Lumia (Latin). A search for Yubello brings up Apollo (would be a strange change indeed), Jubal (Hebrew), and Yudell (old English, also has variant Udell). Just bringing up possible candidates, not really endorsing any of them (the names could go unchanged, since finding alternatives is quite a challenge). The two have names of similar structure, so changes would have to mirror that. Jamina and Jubal (both Hebrew) are possible as a duo, and Yemina and Yudell (or Yubel) is another possibility. Also, since Yudell can be willingly switched to Udell, Ubello and Umina are possible (yet this doesn't really make any progress towards localizing the names).
  • Elrean v. Ellerean is a matter of name length (whichever one would fit into the game). Elrean is the internal name provided by Intelligent Systems in the ROM. Neither name is particularly problematic, but still, just for the sake of proposing, Erelian was an alternative that I remember being suggested a while ago (which, to me anyways, is a more pleasing sound, and is really only swapping which r is changed to l and changing the ending sound). All three candidates change the sound of the character's name: El-reen, El-le-reen, and E-re-li-an. There's also the longshot thinkbabynames recomendation of Elden (an old English variant of Alden meaning "old friend," sorta ironic given the Merric/Elrean relationship).
  • Malliesia was also decided a while back by the translation team, they changed to Malicia (following the internal name of the character). Malicia is a rare name, a variant of the modern name Melisha (which is itself a fusion of the names Melissa (the all-in westernization) and the -sha ending taken from names like Alicia). I personally prefer Melisha (for some weird personal aesthetics reason), but the transition between the two (since they are officially variants of the same name) would be entirely plausible if the team agreed on my weird preferences.
  • Warren is a perfectly fantastic western name. The only (very microscopic) issue arises with a port of the same name. However, in real life there are people named after places as well (girls are sometimes named Paris after the French city, stuff like that). Wolen is the internal name, which gives suggestions for Olen/Olin, but that's about it. Changing the name would be totally unnecessary, but hey, it's change. CHANGE. IS. GREAT.

The floor is open.

Edited by Arch

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see no reason to change Yumina and Yubello. A lot of twins (well, in modern western society) tend to have semisimilar names. I think keeping the Yu- in front of their names would be pleasing.

[*]Santos is a possible modification for Samto, being a Spanish first name. Samto itself strikes as a bit bizarre, but still acceptable as a name.

At first I read that as NOT a possible name, and I was like "Um, Malicia is also not English." But then I reread it. I like Santos more than Samto, myself.

[*]Maris v. Malice: Maris is a Latin name meaning "of the sea." Malice is, obviously, a thing. Malice perhaps fits her personality better (a greedy mercenary), but unless the character's name is a psuedonym Maris seems more appropriate as a name for a character.

I like Malice more, but knowing what Maris means I would also accept that (like I could do otherwise...) Is there anything in the script about whether or not Marisu (oh, hey, Mary-Sue could also work) is pseudonym?

[*]Sheema's always struck me as a strange name. A few options proposed a while back were: Sima (sorta replicating the original sound, more aesthetically pleasing I believe) and Shanna (a bit more brave of a change, it gives the character an uncommon western name). This one could always be put up for a vote; but, as voting goes, Sheema would probably win.

I personally find Sheema more aesthetically pleasing. Anyways, isn't it Indian in origin? I have seen both Shiva and Siva, so I think both would correct as far as romanizing the Indian name... assuming that's what IS went for.

[*]Luke and Rody are perfectly fine. Only thought on these two is that Roddy (with the added d) is a variant of Roderick (an old German name), the name Roddy means "famous power." Adding the second d, though, seems a little pointless (the English localization did things like swap letters, Gordon -> Gordin, and alter spellings while preserving the intended name, like Lawrence -> Lorenz).

In my mind, Rody and Roddy are pronounced differently. I like the idea of him being Roderick, but Rody could still be short for Roderick.

[*]Yumina and Yubello, I feel, would probably be given radically different names in an official localization. Not endorsing radicalism per say, just pointing out that thought. I've seen Yubel used in anime before, which would be a safe variant of Yubello to go with. No idea on what to do with Yumina though. A search on thinkbabynames.com (great place for looking up names, along with Behind the Name) for "Yumina" suggests similar sounding names: Amina, Yemina (both Arabic), Jamina (Hebrew), and Lumia (Latin). A search for Yubello brings up Apollo (would be a strange change indeed), Jubal (Hebrew), and Yudell (old English, also has variant Udell). Just bringing up possible candidates, not really endorsing any of them (the names could go unchanged, since finding alternatives is quite a challenge). The two have names of similar structure, so changes would have to mirror that. Jamina and Jubal (both Hebrew) are possible as a duo, and Yemina and Yudell (or Yubel) is another possibility. Also, since Yudell can be willingly switched to Udell, Ubello and Umina are possible (yet this doesn't really make any progress towards localizing the names).

I like Yumina and Yubello, myself.

[*]Elrean v. Ellerean is a matter of name length (whichever one would fit into the game). Elrean is the internal name provided by Intelligent Systems in the ROM. Neither name is particularly problematic, but still, just for the sake of proposing, Erelian was an alternative that I remember being suggested a while ago (which, to me anyways, is a more pleasing sound, and is really only swapping which r is changed to l and changing the ending sound). All three candidates change the sound of the character's name: El-reen, El-le-reen, and E-re-li-an. There's also the longshot thinkbabynames recomendation of Elden (an old English variant of Alden meaning "old friend," sorta ironic given the Merric/Elrean relationship).

This has a lot of options, I remember. I think Elren is closer to the kana pronunciation, but I personally like Ellerian (so it's not pronouned een at the end) or Erelian more than something like Elrean. I also like Elren. Basically, I don't want is name to end "een."

[*]Malliesia was also decided a while back by the translation team, they changed to Malicia (following the internal name of the character). Malicia is a rare name, a variant of the modern name Melisha (which is itself a fusion of the names Melissa (the all-in westernization) and the -sha ending taken from names like Alicia). I personally prefer Melisha (for some weird personal aesthetics reason), but the transition between the two (since they are officially variants of the same name) would be entirely plausible if the team agreed on my weird preferences.

I would still like something like Malesia, myself, but, well, it's THIS name again....

[*]Warren is a perfectly fantastic western name. The only (very microscopic) issue arises with a port of the same name. However, in real life there are people named after places as well (girls are sometimes named Paris after the French city, stuff like that). Wolen is the internal name, which gives suggestions for Olen/Olin, but that's about it. Changing the name would be totally unnecessary, but hey, it's change. CHANGE. IS. GREAT.

I like Warren. Also, Paris was originally a dude.

Here's what I gathered from the FEWiki.

ルーク Rook/Luke

ロディ Rody

セシル Cecil/Cecille

マリーシア Malliesia

ユミナ Yumina

ユベロ Yubello

サムトー Samuto

シーマ Sheema

マリス Maris/Malice/Marisu

エルレーン Ellerean

Edited by Arch

Sheema should totally be changed to Cima. I mean, it's been done before, just ask Cima Garahau from Stardust Memories. :lol: *shot*

Alright alright, needs more reasoning...

セシル (Seshiru)

ルーク (Ruuku)

ロディ (Rodi)

ライアン (Raian)

マリーシア (Mariishia)

ウォレン (Woren)

ユミナ (Yumina)

ユベロ (Yubero)

シリウス (Shiriusu)

サムトー (Samutoh)

フィーナ (Fiina)

エルレーン (Erurein)

シーマ (Shiima)

ダイス (Daisu)

マリス (Marisu)

ベルフ (Berufu)

ロベルト (Roberuto)

ライデン (Raiden)

カタリナ (Katarina)

フロスト (Furosuto)

ルーメル (Ruumeru)

リュッケ (Ryukke)

クライネ (Kuraine)

ガイル (Gairu)

トラース (Toraasu)

ラング (Rangu)

Aaaand I can't find any of the other bosses. Damn.

One thing I can say just from a quick glance is that Ellerean is an awful translation of his name. It's not even that accurate to the Katakana to justify how awful it both sounds and looks.

Edited by General Banzai

One thing I can say just from a quick glance is that Ellerean is an awful translation of his name. It's not even that accurate to the Katakana to justify how awful it both sounds and looks.

are you kidding me

Ellerean is a pretty accurate translation of his name depending on how far you're willing to skew the pronunciation of the last syllable (which is the cause of all of the confusion behind his name anyway). Once you make that clearer, then his name is perfectly fine.

Hell, Erelian almost seems more plausible than Ellerean (El-le-reen), based on Erurein (E-ru-re-in). All it does is change the second 'r' to an 'l' (which is, as far as I'm aware, totally fair game) and the 'u' to an 'e' sound for aesthetics. Don't even have to "skew the pronunciation of the last syllable" to make it work.

Edited by Arch

Huh, that suggests Roberto rather than Robert. Unless I'm mistaken, Robert would be ロバート. At least, that's what I've heard.

Don't know about Robert, but that one is indeed Roberto. And then I shamelessly point out to Gundam again with Roberto of Zeta Gundam. *shot*

Don't even have to "skew the pronunciation of the last syllable" to make it work.

No, actually, what you've done is to make the supposed pronunciation farther off from what it actually is.

I pointed out in the previous topic that something like "Elleren" would be the closest as far as accuracy goes.

Edited by dondon151

Isn't it actually Erureen, rather than Erurein? If they were going for something like Elerian, I would expect Ererien, or some such thing. Of course, I don't think the team needs to stay *that* close to the kana.

It depends on how your romanization scheme works.

It is, however, the same 'ei' combination as found in 'sensei' though, meaning it is just supposed to be an elongated sound, and not two separate vowels.

are you kidding me

Ellerean is a pretty accurate translation of his name depending on how far you're willing to skew the pronunciation of the last syllable (which is the cause of all of the confusion behind his name anyway). Once you make that clearer, then his name is perfectly fine.

It's a shitty name to try and pronounce and it is stretching the much simpler transliteration of the Katakana just to be difficult to pronounce. Errane or Elrain look no stupider and yet their pronunciations are much more obvious.

Huh, that suggests Roberto rather than Robert. Unless I'm mistaken, Robert would be ロバート. At least, that's what I've heard.

This was my point before; there are multiple ways of turning English names into Katakana. In FE6 and Berwick you see two different ways of writing the name "Percival," for instance; in FESD and Berwick two different ways of writing the name "Julian." Also, there are names which are different in English but exactly the same in Katakana; Helman from FE7, for instance, has the typical Katakana for the name Herman. There are plenty of similar examples.

Thus, trying to stay exactly to the Katakan is fucking stupid and leads to bad things happening. It's perfectly reasonable to turn "Roberuto" into "Robert".

It's a shitty name to try and pronounce and it is stretching the much simpler transliteration of the Katakana just to be difficult to pronounce. Errane or Elrain look no stupider and yet their pronunciations are much more obvious.

Ellerean. Seems simple to pronounce to me.

el-ûr-ēn

This was my point before; there are multiple ways of turning English names into Katakana. In FE6 and Berwick you see two different ways of writing the name "Percival," for instance; in FESD and Berwick two different ways of writing the name "Julian." Also, there are names which are different in English but exactly the same in Katakana; Helman from FE7, for instance, has the typical Katakana for the name Herman. There are plenty of similar examples.

Thus, trying to stay exactly to the Katakan is fucking stupid and leads to bad things happening. It's perfectly reasonable to turn "Roberuto" into "Robert".

Actually, no. Roberto is a valid name. It's just Robert in Spanish, and who knows which other language, I'm not sure. Just because it's not English doesn't make it any less valid even if the language to translated to is English. Just look at the many other foreign-origin names that appear elsewhere.

Case in point...

A little after 1:22. Quattro clearly says Roberto, not Robert.

Yes they do.

Than Ellerean? Dear god you people are awful

Cecile

Luke

Rody

Ryan

Melissa

Sirius

Vena

Elren

Cima

Dice

Malice

Catalena

Frost

Gemina

Gebello (Hmm)

Warren (Something needs to be done about the likeness to Port Warren)

Samto

Belve

Robert

Lyden

Those are my quick, subject-to-change suggestions for names. In italics are names I'm not sure on.

Actually, no. Roberto is a valid name. It's just Robert in Spanish, and who knows which other language, I'm not sure. Just because it's not English doesn't make it any less valid even if the language to translated to is English. Just look at the many other foreign-origin names that appear elsewhere.

So? Robert fits the theme of the game much better.

Edited by General Banzai