Let's Localize the FE12 Cast

On a more serious note, I think the name "Sheema" conveys a tone of pride that other alternatives lack. Fitting, given her character.

(Plus it sounds cool anyway so why would you want to change it)

Edited by dondon151

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a more serious note, I think the name "Sheema" conveys a tone of pride that other alternatives lack. Fitting, given her character.

(Plus it sounds cool anyway so why would you want to change it)

I dunno, I'd pronounce Sima the same way as Sheema. Maybe I'm wrong by pronouncing it that way...

Also, while Shiva is in fact Indian, the name is pronounced as Shiv. The main reason this is the case is because when a Devnagari language is written, the final sound is written as a whole letter (the script allows for half and whole sounds), despite not being pronounced as such. It's also a very, very masculine name, so if someone is actually trying to name Sheema that, then I am slightly troubled. Seriously, it's so masculine that Hindus worship the dude's dong.

NoA is usually good about this, but then there's Nino. . .

I can imagine that you might be nervous about asking that john tv guy since he might say no to an unofficial localization even as some sort of guidance and make Nintendo aware about it, but NoA was pretty laid back about the Mother 3 translation and he doesn't work directly for NoA so asking won't hurt.

Yeah, sorry if I seemed too harsh, but firstly I had no idea what the hell he was talking about, and his reply links back to his own post. It's almost as if he was replying to himself rather than designating it at some sort of concern that his post seems to imply other people have...Which noone has actually expressed yet, so I dunno what he was talking about.

Edited by Refa

I think he's just making a guess at why no one is jumping to accept his suggestion and not realizing the more likely fact that no one really cared about it.

• 1 month later...

I'm curious about this whole thing honestly. As far as I could remember nobody complained about the translated names before but now that we have a new translation team who're proposing changing stuff that people are accustomed with for very few reasons, suddenly people are complaining about how dumb those names are?

I am confused by this.

I'm curious about this whole thing honestly. As far as I could remember nobody complained about the translated names before but now that we have a new translation team who're proposing changing stuff that people are accustomed with for very few reasons, suddenly people are complaining about how dumb those names are?

I am confused by this.

I don't know why they weren't before but they should have been. Translations like "Yurius" and "Felgus" were clearly godawful.

I don't know why they weren't before but they should have been. Translations like "Yurius" and "Felgus" were clearly godawful.

Since we're on the subject, what are some translations that are clearly awful and wrong in the parts of the series that were fan-translated? I know Yuria/Yurius (lol seriously), Fergus, presumably also Delmud. Some of the Holy Weapon and Blood names (Holsety most notably, also Torhammer and Baldo). Also pretty much every place name in FE4, with gems like Barhara, Lenster/Alster/Manster/Meese/Conote, etc.

On the subject of FE12, I don't see any problems with retaining Rody and Sheema. They're not obviously wrong and they get the point across as best I can see. "Rody" and "Roddy" definitely call to mind different pronunciations. The Mallesia thing is interesting because I never really thought about whether that's "supposed" to be something more mundane. "Maris" is the more likely call if there were a localization as they seem to like turning non-name words used as names into other things as a matter of course. Most interesting is the whole Yumina/Yubello thing, which I never thought to compare to the Yuria/Yurius clusterfuck. Interesting, but I have no idea what you'd do with it.