Let's Localize the FE12 Cast

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised Katarina -> Catalina wasn't brought up since the former is the Romaji of Catalina. But the project's probably made enough progress that it's probably too late to change it, so whatever. Unlike some other people, I don't find translations of names to be Serious Business.

I think Samto should be kept as Samto for this reason:

Tomas is an anagram of Samto. Sadly, that is the only thing remotely

interesting about this worthless character.

Edited by Gafgarion

I think Samto should be kept as Samto for this reason:
Tomas is an anagram of Samto. Sadly' date=' that is the only thing remotely

interesting about this worthless character.[/quote']

I don't think that's intended, though, since Tomas (original name Thormas) wasn't the character's name until over a decade after Samto was named. It's an interesting tidbit, but it'd be bad reasoning to keep the name Samto.

Those are my quick, subject-to-change suggestions for names. In italics are names I'm not sure on.

Banzai, it took me a few minutes to figure out who "Vena" was supposed to be, hahah. Your suggestions are certainly interesting.

And hey, if we're doing bullet-point lists, I guess I'll do one too.

• Melisha
  • Santos
  • Erelian
  • Yumina
  • Yubello
  • Feena
  • Shiva
  • Vergil
  • Raiden

That'd be my fantasy scenario. Obviously, though, I don't often get my way when it comes to this sorta stuff :P:. (Except Vergil, which is a victory that I will always prize).

Edited by Arch

My suggestions -

• Stats
  • Stats
  • Stats
  • Stats
  • Gaggles

seeing as that's all that SF really cares about anyway

• Shamtou (not so sure, but let's see the shitstorm)
  • Marice
  • Shima
  • Rody
  • Yumina
  • Yubello
  • Erelian (I wouldn't mind Ellerean, honestly)
  • Malicia
  • Warren
  • Belves
  • Reidan

It depends on how your romanization scheme works.

It is, however, the same 'ei' combination as found in 'sensei' though, meaning it is just supposed to be an elongated sound, and not two separate vowels.

The katakan is レー、rather than it being 'ei,' not that that technically changed the pronunciation.

In other news: ITT people treat their opinion as fact.

Oh is this a thread for terrible opinions? Because I want my turn:

セシル - Sessile

ルーク - Rook

ロディ - Loady

ライアン - Lyin

マリーシア - Marissa

ウォレン - Woolen

シリウス - Serious

サムトー - Thamtor

エルレーン - Ailrenne

シーマ - Caema

ベルフ - Vergil

My own opinion on what the names should be:

ORIGINAL    	NEW
Rody   		Rodie
Malliesia	Malicia
Warren   	Warren
Yubello   	Gebello
Yumina   	Gemina
Samto 		Santos
Ellerean  	Elrain
Dice 		Dice
Malice      	Marise
Katarina  	Catalena
Sheema  	Caema

No matter how silly you are, dondon, I still love seeing you participate. It's always a blast reading your sharp rhetoric and pointed retorts.

Anyways, if Vergil's on your list of terrible decisions, then it must've been the right call. Nice to know I made at least one good decision.

Edited by Arch

Fine. My turn.

• Bob
  • Malice
  • Sheema
  • Rody
  • Yumina
  • Yubello
  • Ellerean
  • Malliesia
  • Warren
  • Belf
  • Leiden

Who's Bob and Leiden? Otherwise, I pretty much agree with this list. Change for change's sake seems stupid, and nothing about changing the cast names actually improves my gaming experience. What's even the point? Why play at being a localizer?

Leiden is the same name as Raiden. They are pronounced the same. Bob is a humour.

Most of my preferences of names have been posted already. Sheema, Frost, Leiden, Elerean, Maris. I stuck with Katarina because I liked the "harder" pronunciation, but I'd see Catalina as the intended name. I still prefer pronouncing Malliesia as Mariesia with a nasal 'r' emphasis, though visually Malliesia wins it.

Banzai, it took me a few minutes to figure out who "Vena" was supposed to be, hahah. Your suggestions are certainly interesting.

Melissa and Vena are the only two names on my list that even fudge the original Katakana (and Fena -> Vena is hardly even fudging). The rest, mostly, are taking the existing names and cleaning them up or presenting them in a more easily pronounceable way. Leiden to Lyden, for instance. No matter where one puts an "ei" or an "ie" the confusion will always be ambiguous in English. Lyden cleans that up, is pronounced the exact same way we want, and looks good.

Gemina and Gebello, I'm not sure why they haven't been suggested as names before. Nearly half the time when there's a Yu in Katakana it gets turned into a J sound (see Yuria and Yurius; in Berwick there is also a Yurian who is clearly meant to be Julian). For Gemina, the change fits remarkably well; Gebello, not so much, but I'd still say that it's better than Yubello without even making a slight change from what the Katakana says.

Elren was just cleaning up and I'm not married to the name; if someone can present a better way of presenting him I'd spring for that. But that too is not a derivation from the Katakana.

Belve or Belves I like because, as I've said before, Belf looks nauseous. But I also don't like Vergil because 1. I feel it's far too obvious a reference, even if it supposedly fits his personality, and 2. It's quite a stray from the Katakan just to make that obvious references. Belves sounds formal as well (it reminds me of Jeeves) without going crazy.

So yeah, I'm not looking for crazy, wild changes for no reason. But I feel there are definitely places where changes need to be made. When they are, they should be kept as un-crazy as possible; but that's not to say "Oh that's the slightest bit off from the Kana, Malliesia Malliesia Malliesia."

Okay... here goes.

Ellerean. Seems simple to pronounce to me.

el-ûr-ēn

That's the problem. Ellerean/Elrean/Elren's name is actually meant to be pronounced more like el-reyan, not el-rayne or el-ûr-ēn. I don't like Ellerean because it has so many different possibly pronunciations - I myself thought that it was el-air-ian until I read the katakana.

I'm surprised Katarina -> Catalina wasn't brought up since the former is the Romaji of Catalina. But the project's probably made enough progress that it's probably too late to change it, so whatever. Unlike some other people, I don't find translations of names to be Serious Business.

"Katarina" is a real name anyway.

My own opinion on what the names should be:

ORIGINAL    	NEW
Sheema  	Caema

The only problem with that is that we already have Caeda, so we can't have Caeda and Caema, people would think that they're related like Yubello and Yumina.

That's the problem. Ellerean/Elrean/Elren's name is actually meant to be pronounced more like el-reyan, not el-rayne or el-ûr-ēn. I don't like Ellerean because it has so many different possibly pronunciations - I myself thought that it was el-air-ian until I read the katakana.

I'm not seeing any indication of any 'a' sound in the katakana anywhere. Macron e is very legimate. I can't see any other reading from the katakana. I don't know exactly what circumflex u sounds like, so no comment there.

edit: no 'ya' sound either, for that matter.

Edited by Balcerzak

I'm not seeing any indication of any 'a' sound in the katakana anywhere. Macron e is very legimate. I can't see any other reading from the katakana. I don't know exactly what circumflex u sounds like, so no comment there.

edit: no 'ya' sound either, for that matter.

oopsies

Edited by Agromono

Is that supposed to be Caema?

You've been reading too much kana, man. You're starting to lose your English :P:. It says Shiva, Rewjeo brought up the option earlier and I kinda liked it (at least, I liked it more than Cima/Sima/Sheema/Caema).

I personally find Sheema more aesthetically pleasing. Anyways, isn't it Indian in origin? I have seen both Shiva and Siva, so I think both would correct as far as romanizing the Indian name... assuming that's what IS went for.

I wish they'd kept Jiol's death quote from FE3 Book 1 in Shadow Dragon, though, since he referenced her by name in that version. Then there would just be a name that NoA had already localized.

The only problem with that is that we already have Caeda, so we can't have Caeda and Caema, people would think that they're related like Yubello and Yumina.

I dunno, pronouncing Sheema and pronouncing Kigh-mah are two different things altogether ._.

Something to also keep in mind is that the kana isn't always the equivalent of English pronounciation. Sometimes the kana is an attempt to get the "sound" of a name conveyed, othertimes it's just to get it written out as close to its origin-alternative as possible (I've seen Hrunting spelled out in kana as you could say it and as a literal spelling). Sometimes the kana just can't capture the language it's trying to convey, is all, and the same goes for all languages.

Edited by Celice

セシル - Sescheeliaa

ルーク - Lookh

ロディ - Roady

ライアン - Lying

マリーシア - Mareishiah

ウォレン - Rollin'

シリウス - Serious

サムトー - Samuraito

エルレーン - Hailrain

シーマ - See-meh?

ベルフ - Virgin

Sheema is more Persian actually (nitpicking about origins, hooray). The Indian name is actually Seema, but then again, India is pretty varied with naming. I've never met a Sheema myself though.

Also, while Shiva is in fact Indian, the name is pronounced as Shiv. The main reason this is the case is because when a Devnagari language is written, the final sound is written as a whole letter (the script allows for half and whole sounds), despite not being pronounced as such. It's also a very, very masculine name, so if someone is actually trying to name Sheema that, then I am slightly troubled. Seriously, it's so masculine that Hindus worship the dude's dong.

Also, while Shiva is in fact Indian, the name is pronounced as Shiv. The main reason this is the case is because when a Devnagari language is written, the final sound is written as a whole letter (the script allows for half and whole sounds), despite not being pronounced as such. It's also a very, very masculine name, so if someone is actually trying to name Sheema that, then I am slightly troubled. Seriously, it's so masculine that Hindus worship the dude's dong.

Thanks for the clarification. All of the sudden the option seems pretty ridiculous.

Back to supporting the unacceptable westernization, Shanna.