Let's Localize the FE12 Cast

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I even agree with the philosophy of the translators but not the change to Vergil. It's taking it too far when there are better middle ground alternatives.

By the way the only actual point of contention here seems to be Vergil. I don't think anyone on either side of the argument has complained about any of the other name changes. Time for me to bring up Gemina, which is clearly not only the correct translation of the Kana but also less stupid looking than Yumina

You're probably the only person here who actually hates Yumina's name. I think it sounds fine personally.

The point of this project is to translate the game, not so the team could pretend they know how to localize properly. And if people were (and still are) satisfied with the FE3 names, why fix something that's not broken?

The point of this project is to translate the game, not so the team could pretend they know how to localize properly.

Actually, the ones who decide the point of a project are either those working on it, or those paying for it.

Of course, choices affect quality, but there's nothing objectively keeping us from doing a shitty work on purpose.

And if people were (and still are) satisfied with the FE3 names, why fix something that's not broken?

It's all about power. Unlimited power.

If a project is prioritizing "translations" on the basis of personal preference or on whatever a certain community happens to be familiar with, as opposed to based on what is the most suitable translation, it hardly seems fair to call it a translation at all.

If a project is prioritizing "translations" on the basis of personal preference or on whatever a certain community happens to be familiar with, as opposed to based on what is the most suitable translation, it hardly seems fair to call it a translation at all.

Lack of relevant canon to be used as reference can turn the "most suitable translation" a highly subjective matter.

Let me get a nagging suspicion out of the way.

You aren't judging whether a translation can really be called a translation or not based on its name romanization, right?

Let me get a nagging suspicion out of the way.

You aren't judging whether a translation can really be called a translation or not based on its name romanization, right?

I think anything can be a factor.

The real question is, are you guys making your best effort to be objective?

Edited by Othin

You can only hope we are, instead of putting a far-reaching plot distortion plan into motion.

You can only hope we are, instead of putting a far-reaching plot distortion plan into motion.

If only your team's answers offered any such hope.

Or maybe we should name them like they did in the old times - i.e., with 4 letters max

Mars Luke Rody Ceci Gord Ryan Doga Aran Mali Cach
Warr Cord Lind Pala Bord Jul  Matt Wrys Ogma Mina
Belo Srs  Cast Cida Bart Rick Frey Norn Samt Wend
Cesr Radd Nave Fina Cain Bant Roge Jorg Mine Ezel
Merc Elre Dice Mari Hors Jake Darr Rob  Verg Lei
Beck Aten Xane Tiki Est  Dolf Abel Mac  Ast  Katy
Toma Cima Sam  Cold Rosh Vyld Sed  Wolf Midi Ymir
Mic  Nagi Lena Mary Nyna Elis Jage Hard Garn Mede

I like this idea.

because that's more exact to the Kana. Celice becomes Serisu. Etc.

I like this idea too... Not like my opinion matters. :(

I think anything can be a factor.

probably not.

Ultimately what the 'most suitable translation' is comes down to what we think, which is really personal preference, so I don't see how we can be objective.

Personal preferences may be influenced by a variety of factors and seem objective because they've taken into account various perspectives, analyzed the situation from a neutral standpoint, etc.

but true objectivity is impossible

and even if we were, people would still argue what the outcome of an objective opinion would be, so meh

it took so long for this topic to go back to it was supposed to be... Sadly I cannot bring any argument to the table, Just Hope for the best result.

Actually, this thread was never even supposed to be; it started with a copypaste from a former project member who discovered the current team wasn't receptive to his philosophy, and hadn't calmed down just yet.

In other words... trolling. Do remember said member called himself Overtroll for half a year, and you won't be surprised.

You're probably the only person here who actually hates Yumina's name. I think it sounds fine personally.

The point of this project is to translate the game, not so the team could pretend they know how to localize properly. And if people were (and still are) satisfied with the FE3 names, why fix something that's not broken?

Because Banzai isn't satisfied, and his opinion is Law. If you like Malliesia as a name, you are scum in his eyes, and you probably read Twilight and think that Asseray is a good translation and vote for Rick Santorum and steal candy from small babies.

Because Banzai isn't satisfied, and his opinion is Law. If you like Malliesia as a name, you are scum in his eyes, and you probably read Twilight and think that Asseray is a good translation and vote for Rick Santorum and steal candy from small babies.

wouldn't be surprised if banzai votes for rick santorum