Rate the Unit, Day 1: Roy

I thought personal experience meant...nothing?

PEMN yet PEME is a mantra to be used whenever Not playing a 'Fixed Growth/0% Growth Game'

PEMN of course is 'Personal Experience Means Nothing' that is when ranking a character, analyzing it via averages, tiering, rating. I Only assigned the 1 bias point and will probably drop The Unbiased score down to 5.

PEME means 'Personal Experience Means Everything' but this is strictly a mantra while PLAYING the game. For example, Tier lists state that Alan and Lance are god, but I've had both turn out to be junk. it doesn't mean the tier lists are wrong but it means while playing, I should ditch them despite the Tier lists saying they are gods. PEMN yet PEME is a mindset to teach you that while your personal experience means nothing during analysis, the playfield is random when actually playing, and must be treated as such.

Did that make sense? What I was saying was, I was still in the PEME mind set and let it color my view that Roy could take Armors (which he can at the moment) despite all past playthroughs having Roy unable to handle armors. And that I was wrong.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought personal experience meant...nothing?

With topics like this, what's the point in not letting personal experience getting a say in things? We'll just end up with another tier list.

Let all the personal experience flow, I say.

My god, What have they done with this guy...

He is terrible and he is a Lord! Why did they do this...sob.gif

The Rapier is his Only Useful Weapon at the beginning of the game because The Iron Sword is quite Inaccurate for Him. His Growths are quite shabby and when he reaches Level 20, He will stay that way until Chapter 21/21x Ends. This only gives you 4 chapters when he is promoted. The Sword of Seals is what saves his poor lategame though. If used wisely, he could get a few good levels in Chapter 22 and 23. If he does, He will do good against Chapter 24's Dragons and Idoun.

I give him a 3.5/10!

Do we assume people get supports anymore? I no longer know the consensus on this, but since his are so good and comparatively expedient I'll assume that he does.

With them, he makes Alan and Lance much better, and they help him out too. His still has a dozen different problems, but I'd contend that he isn't horrible.

Edited by Duff Ostrich

3/10

He's mediocre, has a poor promotion, can't compete with far better units.

-1 point because he's bland as **** and he took Sigurds spot in melee, also his fanbase never played his game, he looks like he is 5...

Actually, I'd like to give him 1/10, but that would never fly.

Roy's our boy. Unfortunately, HM is a man's game. He's got a sluggish start, abysmal swordlock (even at times when he's facing a ton of axes, but then later...), and one of the worst-timed and most underwhelming promotions in the series, possibly only beaten out by FE5 Leaf. That and you gotta cover his force-deployed ass all the time. The upswing? Sword of Seals is a pretty boss weapon (for all the use you can get out of it anyway) and he has a good support triangle with his cavalier homies. Indeed, while he probably won't get anything out of it to make him useful, everybody wants him as a support partner since he's Fire and this is FE6 and that means sweet, sweet Attack and Crit. Unfortunately most of his potential partners have better places to be than next to Roy.

Let's put it this way: If he weren't the Lord, I'd always bench him. That said, he is the Lord and is free deployment so I guess you gotta live with him and cart him around like an albatross around Marcus's neck.

3.5/10

fuck you roy

Seriously. His bases are shit. He's better just getting picked up by Marcus and rushed to the seize point while Lance and Alan kill everything for him.

Really, he's just not worth it.

But you kinda need him because he's the lord.

fuck you IS

3.75/10 because he does get decent by the endgame and SoS is broken so yay

Oh look yet ANOTHER Rate that Unit Day topic. Seriously what is this Gamefaqs?

Anyway what a piece of shit combat unit who promotes late. 2/10.

No, GameFAQs is cooler.

Anyway, Roy has some earlygame utility, but his mediocre stats bite him later, and the super late promotion kills any potential his lategame had. However, this is FE6, so there's plenty of units who don't even have that going for them.

5/10

i'd say 5/10.  Since earlygame is fully of axes and you need him to seize, he's fine. But then when everyone else is promoting and he's stuck with 5Mov for several chapters, he's just dragging everyone down.

He's a piece of shit and a miserable excuse for a lord. Eliwood would be ashamed. 3/10 because he's pretty decent if not completely ignored after he's given the Sealed Sword, and... axes almost have difficulty hitting him, early on. -1 for bias, so 2/10.

ugh roy why do you suck so much

18 HP/5 str/5 skl/7 spd/7 luk/5 def/0 res/6 con/5 mov bases and he's stuck unpromoted until Sword of Seal which is way, way too late. He's simply outclassed by approximately anyone being used seriously that isn't terrible all game, too. He has to be deployed on every map and he has to seize, and with 5 mov he's not getting anywhere fast and is going to need rescuing unless we want to take forever and a half. More likely than not he's going to be spending more time rescued than he isn't rescued, and he's already terrible against anything not using axes (and even then he isn't good). Everything kind of just sucks for Roy.

3/10.

He's like... really meh. Just... like, what were they thinking? Even FE5!Leaf was better than this.

2/10

Edited by Camtech

Roy has a pretty awful start, and it doesn't get much better for 90% of the game. He's slow, doesn't hit very hard, and you have to revolve your strategy around getting him to the throne in every chapter, so he's not seeing a useful amount of combat either. He does have a few things going for him, however. The Rapier does do extra damage against cavaliers and armour units, for whatever that is worth. He gets some relatively fast supports with Alan and Lance, which the cavs certainly appreciate. And of course, there's the Sword of Seals, which turns Roy from a sub-standard character into a powerhouse. Overall, you may as well use him in combat whenever possible, since you're forced to anyway (anything that improves his survival is necessary), but don't expect anything amazing until promotion.

Rating: 4/10

Edited by Toothache

Horrible and required. He doesn't amount to much past siezing and axe bait until he gets the SoS for the last couple chapters. His weak base stats aren't made up by his growths and he's additionally limited by his forced promotion in the back end of the game. Due to mediocre speed and strength his con(6) doesn't help either because he already has difficulties doubling. He's atleast good for hitting Cavaliers with his Rapier.

2/10

Edited by arvilino

Oh gosh, Roy. . .

He's got a great offensive affinity when he really wants his dad's Anima affinity (for a shot at, like, not dying). His bases are barely okay, and then the enemies start outpacing him. To top it off, his promotion time is horrible. At least the Sword of Seals is a really cool weapon? If he promoted Eliwood-style (just past midgame with a horse and the ability to carry most of the cast), he'd be redeemable.

(oh, and if anyone was crazy enough to use Roy for combat, can he hit S swords before promotion?)

3.5/10

(oh, and if anyone was crazy enough to use Roy for combat, can he hit S swords before promotion?)

No. Nobody can hit S anything before promotion. It's capped, just like 20s in (non-hp) base states.

Edited by Balcerzak

I can actually do this one up to certain point. So if i end up bailing on these topics after midway, yeah...

Roy. Son of Eliwood. The "Bright Star of Pherae." yeah sure....thats what they want you to think.

Pros:

Lord.

Can use kick ass weapon later.

Supports with like, all the ladies.

Ok growths.

Cons:

All the things.

Sword lock forever.

Bad bases.

Faces the wrath of the RNG god. Constantly.

Not that durable.

Yeah Roy is probably the shittiest lord i ever played as in an FE game. Ive only played five of the games. Hes just...not good. Even as he levels, hes just not kicking that much ass. While his growths look good, they often get fucked somehow. This game is pretty shitty with the RNG as it is. D: Nah...just...Nah. Roy almost put me off this game entirely.

3/10. D: Hes just not good.

I like Roy despite him sucking as a unit. ALL SWORD LOCKED LORDS SHOULD BE LIKE SIGURD/IKE/FE3 OR 12 MARTH.

That said. He's average to the point it's physically painful for the player and that's pretty much it. 5/10

And he marries Hector and Florina's daughter so he's alright in my Book of Moon.

lol. Roy.

Anything I can say in SERIOUS rating reasons has all been said before.

4/10

Not to mention the bias I have against him for one of his potential mothers... which I might add is supported by at least a few fans as canon.

Now for the OTHER thing:

This man has 6 marriage options. I'd definitely trade stats for women, anyday.

He can marry them ALL.

Not to mention the bias I have against him for one of his potential mothers... which I might add is supported by at least a few fans as canon.

??? What does that mean?

??? What does that mean?

He has a thing for Ninian who is one of Roy's potential mothers but in his mind she is his mother.