Rate the Unit, Day 6: Merlinus

Assuming we're not crediting him with storing items... .5/10.

The question I ask myself is "is he really just as useless as Wendy" and the answer is "not quite", so he gets a bit of credit for his ability to do stuff in a few of the opening chapters. And by stuff I mean visiting villages.

2/10

He certainly does more than Bors and is expendable. I never had any issues with item management so, picking up and storing items is not much of a big deal. When he costs a deployment slot, he isn't worth it as almost any other unit would be a better choice.

It's kinda tough to rate this dude... he has the same effect (more or less) if he's on the field or off the field, I can't think of any situation where deploying him is useful. I'm gonna give him 0.5 for THAT CHARGE TO THE MEND STAFF VILLAGE THAT USUALLY ENDS UP IN DEATH

I use Merlinus more than Wolt or Bors. Free death is more useful than nothing. By the time you have the opportunity to choose your party though, there's no good reason to take him with you.

I never completely fill all my slots, and he's always nice to have around.

whenever he dies, he's ready for action next chapter. this way you can use him to lure away enemies whenever any of your characters is about to die.

also, his job isn't to kill, it's to give you slots for items. he does that job quite well.

8/10 (-1 for dying too soon, -1 for only a 100 slots)

EDIT: oh, also, I hate restarting when I forget to give a character the items he/she needs

Edited by whase

There's a trick that you can use in chapter 22 to send the Warp staff from one side of the map to the other, which is moderately useful. The longer path for one of the left switch is on the opposite side of the map of Roy's starting position, so it's useful if you want to both warp Roy to the throne room door and a unit to the left switch.

Useful and he can move unlike in FE7, which pisses really off since he's mostly fucking far away and you have to keep unit or two in the start of chapter battle just to fucking protect that damn tent faggot who should come out of the damn closet.

4/10.

He makes a nice enemy magnet and his mustache is pretty manly. Otherwise, he's useless.

1.5/10, 1 point for the mustache.

He is invincible and immortal; he is the only unit in FE history who can die and be deployed on the next chapter.

Diadora from FE4.

Also, 3/10 for the Armorslayer thing and the Rutger thing.

Merlinus:

- Has constition so high, he can theoretically wield every weapon in the FE universe without speed loss. He doesn't though since he finds every weapon unworthy of him

- Is the only person in the FE Universe who has a tent and wagon that can dodge simply by standing there and not moving (the crossed out part doesn't apply to FE6)

- Is mounted, but isn't weak against Horseslayers and Halberds like Marcus, Zealot, Percival, and other broken mounted units

- Can survive any and every blow dealt to him, whether it's a slash from Exaccus, a Tomahawk throw from Murdock, or even Idoun's Dark Breath, he won't get killed

- Is literally immortal in both games he's in, because he cheats death by running away from it while carrying away his precious goods as well. Not even the almighty Sigurd can do that

- Is among the few FE characters to help save their world twice. Not that he needs to do it, since even if the villains completely destroy the world, he'll survive

Merlinus is the Chuck Norris of the FE Universe, so he's a 10/10.

...I hope it's blatantly obvious that I'm joking, and people won't actually argue against these points.

Feel free to ignore my vote Integrity. I just wanted to have fun with my Merlinus the Almighty joke and hopefully get it to catch on as a running joke on SF.

I...am just not sure exactly how Merlinus works in this game. For some reason i cant remember just what he can do (if anything) outside holding on your stuff. So he doesnt level unless deployed? I dont know why my memory is so bad when it comes to him. He still hangs on to your stuff when not deployed and items arent wasted if you get something. Like you could send it to him anyway? Ok. If thats the case, whats the point of deploying him? Hes already mobile unlike in FE7.

Since im senile and cant quite recall Merlinus's mechanics in this one, im just gonna give him a 5/10. Neutral vote.

(omg i need to play this game again...)

...and he didn't get rated in the FE7 RtU why?

probably partwise because I didn't run the FE7 RtU.

Anyway, tallying this ridiculous day and then having another real one.