AIM to be killed off soon?

Wooster

This story just caught my eye:

http://9to5mac.com/2012/03/13/is-aols-aim-service-on-the-chopping-block/

The AOL Instant Messenger group took the deepest cut so far. A former AOL employee said the group was “eviscerated and now only consists of support staff.” This person, who asked not to be named because they were not allowed to speak publicly about the company, added that “nearly all of the West Coast tech team has been killed.”

That doesn’t sound like a business with a future. Only “support staff” means no development/security/improvements…future.

I'll be following this story as it develops... but I'm not too thrilled about this. Most of my buddies are on AIM.

I had no idea people even used that anymore. Nowadays it's Skype everything.

MSN still has the most active users, for a NA IM service anyway :P:.

There is still a market for basic IM services, and before Skype AIM was MSN's biggest competitor. So it is pretty sad news.

Edited by Tangerine

I had no idea people even used that anymore. Nowadays it's Skype everything.

Maybe thats where all the people are from my MSN... Nowadays its really empty... Either that or they all deleted me

forever-alone-guy-painting.jpg

Edited by SlayerX

Maybe thats where all the people are from my MSN... Nowadays its really empty... Either that or they all deleted me

forever-alone-guy-painting.jpg

Or they don't use IM clients much anymore :P:? MSN is still on top as far as active users go, so it's unlikely all of your friends switched over 0_o.

My MSN online list has deteriorated over the last couple of years, but my Skype is becoming more and more active. Skype is basically already my primary mode of online chat with people.

And fuck Facebook chat because I don't have it, or want it. If people want to get in touch with me, they have my mobile number to do so. And vice versa.

Because I'm not on Facebook, only my family and a handful of my closest friends wished me happy birthday.

Sucks because i still use AIM for certain people. I dont use MSN anymore. I do use skype but the folks i chat with on AIM dont have skype. If AIM goes under, at least i can use the irc chat which those people still use once in a while.

This arouses me because I hate IM programs and hope they all die a vicious, unpleasant death.

I'm going to assume you're one of those old fashion e-mail people or is that too mainstream for a hipster like yourself

Edited by Kitty of Time

I'm going to assume you're one of those old fashion e-mail people or is that too mainstream for a hipster like yourself

Fuck yes it is. I communicate with others through a complicated series of phonemes using smoke signals. You've probably never heard of the method before.

Also I hate e-mail even more. Who even checks their e-mail anymore? Like now schools are jumping all over contact by e-mail, years after everyone jumped the boat. Ten years from now they're going to be going crazy about texting students when we're zapping messages into each others' brains.

Because I'm not on Facebook, only my family and a handful of my closest friends wished me happy birthday.

I just hid by birthday from view on my Facebook.

^My school has Powerschool, an online website that allows you to see your grades there. It's pretty up to date.

Edited by Darros

This kinda worries me to be honest. I still use AIM a lot, and it's how I communicate with most of my friends, as I'm rarely on skype to be honest. I really hope nothing bad comes out of this.

Yeah, AIM is incredibly outdated and really deserves to fade away. I haven't used it in over 5 years, and even back then I could only stand it through a 3rd party multi-messaging system because the native interface was horrible. MSN is decent, but I haven't signed in in ages. Mostly I use Skype and GTalk for the few live online conversations I carry on.

Pidgin. Combines my MSN, FB CHat, and AIM friends into one convenient list.

Also customizable with plugins so I can set my status message to the name of the song I'm listening to.

Edited by skitarii

Pidgin. Combines my MSN, FB CHat, and AIM friends into one convenient list.

Also customizable with plugins so I can set my status message to the name of the song I'm listening to.

I would get that, but Skype and MSN are the only things I use. And Pidgin doesn't support Skype, so it would just turn into a second MSN for me.