If You Could Wipe Out One Game Genre Off The Face Of The Earth...

Randoman

Okay, yeah, H-games. Particularly ones involving paedophilia. The kind of thing a Troper might play. Those can die in a fire for fucking obvious reasons.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty much every genre has at least one fun or worthwhile game to offer.

I mean you can't tell me you'd end

FPS? And never play Timesplitters again? Or Tribes? Or have a silly Quake 3 LAN party? 64 Goldeneye? There's a legion of kickass FPS games that you dudes are shamelessly casting to the void here. I mean shoot, I uh "enjoy" the company of the average obnoxious cawadooty/halo player as much as the next guy but I still have a grand old time playing those games with bros.

Rythm Action? I don't want to live in a world without the Elite Beat Agents or DDR.

Sports? I don't care for any of the annual offerings associated with the genre (I dont even follow sports) but I'll be damned if I didn't have a good time playing stuff like Blitz: The League or NBA Street or most importantly, the Monkey Soccer minigame from Ape Escape 2.

and it goes on. I honestly can't think of a genre that is full of nothing but so much irredeemable horseshit that it should be banished from existence. Probably something really niche like rape simulators I guess? No wait, that means no monster girl quest

...yeah I'm drawing a blank here

Yeah, dude!

Destroy genres? Man, I want a topic about creating genres! Games are awesome to me because they can be about anything and take you anywhere. Speaking for myself, I don't see a point in telling somebody NO YOU CAN'T MAKE A GAME THAT TAKES ME TO THIS PLACE AND DOES THIS THING. If I really did want to destroy a genre, it would have to be basing the word genre on its themes, not its mechanics, because there are some really irregular first-person games out there, some with no shooting.

If I had to, I'd prefer to destroy games made in bad taste- games made not to entertain, inform or enable, but to incite hate or misunderstanding without soul. Games that are basically propaganda, that is.

mmorpgs.

Nobody needs to pay for a second job.

I agree that continuing to pay for the game after installing it is bunk, but there's also the free-to-play model. Generally, the concept of the MMO as a game you can play with a lot of people online at once doesn't immediately strike me as offensive, like a RP group on a large scale, but I haven't known many MMOs that have brought engaging gameplay along for the ride.

Taking up a shitload of time may also be kind of a signature part of MMO's, but I would think/hope that could be done away with, at least as a necessity.

edit:

adventure games for sure.

[spoiler=why]

LDTaE.jpg

Would that take away Phoenix Wright? Why would you do that to me

Dating Sims, I know who you people are!

Many of them may be in poor taste, but would you destroy romance genres in movies and books, too?

Edited by Rehab

mmorpgs.

You're playing the wrong ones, there are free to play MMOs.

Dunno, no genre of game is worth eliminating.

While I'm very tempted to say ones that I typically hate like FPS, Sports and Adventure/Action-Adventure (the last two are one and the same to me) I don't think I'd have the heart to kill the good ones or upset the people who like them.

So instead I'll say Visual Novels. I'm sick of hearing about that stupid weird weeaboo bullshit!

While I'm very tempted to say ones that I typically hate like FPS, Sports and Adventure/Action-Adventure (the last two are one and the same to me) I don't think I'd have the heart to kill the good ones or upset the people who like them.

So instead I'll say Visual Novels. I'm sick of hearing about that stupid weird weeaboo bullshit!

do you actually like video games?

like seriously, you listed approximately half of everything right there on your chopping block

why do you hate everything?

also the bolded parts are contradictory, unless people who play VNs are somehow intrinsically inferior

First of all everyone; please remember the rules of this forum include basic grammar. Use capital letters please.

Second of all; while a lot of recent FPS games have been rather unappealing, I wouldn't say the genre as a whole desires to be trashed because of them. I haven't played many recent ones, but past ones, like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark on the the N64, gave me many hours of entertainment. But hey, hipsters are hip for hating the FPS genre.

Edited by Shuuda

do you actually like video games?

like seriously, you listed approximately half of everything right there on your chopping block

why do you hate everything?

I didn't list Platformers, any kind of RPG (since they're distinct from Adventure games), Racing games, Sandbox games, Fighters and many many others.

Sports

I mean, they can be fun, but I'd rather play actual sports than sit in front of the TV and mash buttons or kill your arm waggling.

dem sports. I thought I was the only one who thinks like that.

If I had to, I'd prefer to destroy games made in bad taste- games made not to entertain, inform or enable, but to incite hate or misunderstanding without soul. Games that are basically propaganda, that is.

You've officially got me hooked on Extra Credits now! (Considering making a thread about this show now)

You know you didn't have to reply, right?

Doesn't work both ways, you deliberately posted in a topic you don't like just to bitch about it stupidly.

mmorpgs.

How else am I going to afford a PS3?

SRPGs. I hate them.

Especially those Fire Emblem games. They're the worst.

Adventure games in general suck. It's all about lame puzzles, endless boring dialogue, and "story".

Point and click adventure games aren't my favorites ever, but Ace Attorney borrows from the genre heavily, and L.A. Noire and Heavy Rain, while not the most falwless games ever, show there's some inspiration to be plumbed from them. Is there something* wrong with a foundation based heavily in story from your perspective?

H-Games because then Rapelay wouldn't exist.

I do find it really hard to defend Rapelay's "merits," but does getting rid of all H-games mean you'd ban all games with sex in them?

Point and click adventure games aren't my favorites ever, but Ace Attorney borrows from the genre heavily, and L.A. Noire and Heavy Rain, while not the most falwless games ever, show there's some inspiration to be plumbed from them. Is there something* wrong with a foundation based heavily in story from your perspective?

Yes. As entertaining as Ace Attorney can be, the actual gameplay is horrible and by far the worst part of the game.

Ace Attorney is a bad game; but it's a good anime.