Rate the Unit, Day 15: Rutger

How about a master knight-type class that flies on a wyvern, can use every single weapon in the game, AND has +30 crit? (Yes, I know it doesn't exist, but still ...)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, that WOULD be incredibly awesome. So any character that promotes into a monster like that is going to have to have a terrible start (or not-so-good availability) and only one person will probably be able to be in that class.

But back to Rutger ... this is probably because I've never played FE6 myself, but is he really THAT good? O_o

Because every FE6 is a seize map, every boss sits on a throne or gate or the equivalent. Thus, they get throne bonuses. FE6's is something especially dickish, and the bosses are actually pretty comparatively competent (in comparison to 7/8) in their own right in HM, so that on top those nasty throne bonuses makes most bosses a pain in the ass to hit or have good damage on. On top of that, FE6 has nasty hit rates. Rutger is a myrm, so he has the most accurate weapon type coupled with naturally high skill. This is important, as it allows him to hit the bosses fairly reliably. This is also why swords don't suck in FE6, since they are pretty reliable hit rateswise and your mult-weapon units actually has a reason to use them. Rutger may not have the best str growth ever, but 9 str joining in chapter 4 at level 4 is A LOT. That's tied with base Marcus, except Marcus doesn't exactly have much in the way of growths and he's a /1 Paladin to start, so Rutger has more room to gain str plus his promotion bonuses. 15 base speed is insane, as well. On top of that, FE6 promotion bonuses are extremely good, and he gets 30 critical instead of 15 like the other GBA games. This allows him to overkill normal enemies and make those dickish bosses just so much easier.

I'll just take one of my recent runs and C16x for example. Rutger had ~60-70 hit the boss, doubling, with high crit. Having 60-70% on a boss is an achievement in itself, let along doublecritting. In comparison, Miledy, Dieck, and Echidna, my other main physical units, gets ~20-50% depending on the weapon used and without such high crit rates. He just destroys them and not give a shit.

So yes, he really is that good.

Edited by Luminescent Blade

Ah. Got it. So Rutger's got a case for "right bases, right class, right situation", in a nutshell? FE6 is a pretty good game for early-joining myrmidons? While in FE7 and FE8 are not nearly as forgiving for the same class (hence why Guy and Joshua are not nearly as valued as Rutger)? Makes sense.

But anyway, the only thing that could probably improve Rutger is if skills existed in FE6. Celerity would get him to thrones (and places) faster.

Edited by Boron

Ah. Got it. So Rutger's got a case for "right bases, right class, right situation", in a nutshell? FE6 is a pretty good game for early-joining myrmidons? While in FE7 and FE8 are not nearly as forgiving for the same class (hence why Guy and Joshua are not nearly as valued as Rutger)? Makes sense.

I suppose.

Although I like to give my C14 Boots to Miledy, at C21 I mass-buy boots and he gets to get a pair as well. Plus Miledy can rescue Rutger so she can drop him off at location of murderage herself and then go off to murder other things. Miledy is also the only other unit I'd rate a 10. But he can make pretty good use of the C14 boots. It's not like Roy isn't always in somebody's saddlebags anyway for sucking so badly.

FE7 and FE8 just aren't as sword-friendly in general. FE7 is due to the density of lancers coupled with actual hit rates so that myrms can't reliably dodge lance users anymore (whereas Rutger can still dodge wyverns reliably despite the wtd due to shitty hit all around), so their durability issues become more apparent. They also don't have bosskilling utility anymore since Marcus does it just fine and Seth practically solos the whole game with a few javelins and no effort involved, and even if you don't use Seth, Franz becomes Seth at chapter 8 and there's really no reason for a low-damage swordie to be killing bosses when your paladin does it just fine. FE6 Marcus slows down bosskillingwise just in time to make way for Rutger's bosskilling awesome. They're down to 15 crit as well, so they don't have ridiculous shit like 70 crit unsupported.

Well, that makes sense as well. I use Guy in FE7 since I just like using him (although I do drop him if he refuses to get enough strength), and until he becomes a swordmaster lances have a pretty decent hit on him. And his defense fails forever. I could see why FE7 wouldn't be considered sword-friendly. And FE8 has Seth (and Franz).

Boots have the same function as Celerity, true, but Rutger would probably be even more overkill if he had innate +2 move. Ahead of all other foot units, doesn't need to wait for the player to stock up on boots or needs to take one less to max out his move ... in my recent PoR Ike and Tormod semi-solo run, I gave Ike the boots since Tormod has innate Celerity. They killed everything and got places fast.

Yep. Hope I can play this game one day, just so I can see the Rutger-goodness that everyone seems to unanimously agree on.

I only rated Rutger as highly as I did not because he's a great unit with no flaws, but because he's (relatively) one of the best units in FE6. There are no "perfect" units in FE6 that approach the ranks of something like FE7 Marcus, FE8 Seth, or FE11 Caeda.

Rutger - the epitome of bad. Let's see... he has that dreaded sword-lock, which I'd say is pretty terrible in a lance game. I mean, I guess access to Killing Edge is... something. But I'd rather have my boy Roy handle them armors. Another thing -- he gets in the way of our kawaii Fire Emblem incest! This shit does not fly in my book. If negative votes were allowed, I'd do it at the drop of a hat. Finally, since you guys like to also use personalities in your vote mixture (?????), he has what... all of 10 words in his scripts? (Don't count please) He is probably WAY too dark and edgy to function.

I'd love to give him negative, but let's give him something since he has a hood. And hoods are fucking awesome.

1/10

Edited by Fallenite

The fuck is that I don't even

Silly troll

Anyway @dondon I agree Rutger isn't flawless or anything, I just find his perks massively outdo his flaws that he can take a 10 (11 for being incredibly sexy) from me.

If you don't mind Seize every single chapter, I find it fun and I like the difficulty of the HM a lot, personally. Status staves are a dick, though.

Well, I'd still give it a chance though, even if only because it's still an FE game, part of the Elibeverse, and has Sue whom I would use just because she's Rath's daughter.

Well, now is not the best time at the moment. Perhaps once I catch up on my massive workload? I barely have time to finish those FE7 drafts I have committed myself to (but will finish in time, of course).

Rutger is so good that not having a horse doesn't even hurt him.

Because FE6 bosses suck dick and Rutger makes them suck significantly less dick with his super critical powers and the ability to, you know, actually hit those fuckers.

30%str hurts, but he has a fucking base of NINE (most of the time). You know who else has a base of NINE? MARCUS. This is a man who can be used for a good portion of the game without any growths, so having them at all just makes him BETTER.

He's got low luck, but he has no competition for the goddess icons because he makes the best use of them. So unless you're selling them for MORE BOOTS they're his. And you can still tack on a Clarine (and a Dieck if you are willing to slow down a bit) for CEv supports. And enemies can't crit Rutger when they're DEAD.

And his durability isn't even shit. It's not holyfuckamazing tank, but he's got pretty high HP and okayish defense and he's not dying in two hits like some other people.

And his availability starts in CHAPTER FUCKING FOUR.

So 10/10 (+bias because he's a sexy motherfucker but that doesn't fit unless you want to count this 11/10)

This.

Normally I'd pull it down to a 9/10 but Lumi can't add her bias so I won't count mine~

rutger was acutally a very good swordmaster. stale personality, always manages to get beserked and kill steals alot thanks to his op crit. but his op crit is what i love and can just solo this game 8/10

How about a master knight-type class that flies on a wyvern, can use every single weapon in the game, AND has +30 crit? (Yes, I know it doesn't exist, but still ...)

not as good as celice 9/10

sigurd who

Oh yeah Rutger. Who the fuck cares about the other bosses he kills, the important thing is that he kills those damn heroes on thrones. That's worth like an 8/10 right there.

Of course, there's the other bosses in the game. +2/10 for the other bosses and HM bonuses.

The only thing I want to add his HM bonuses are what really make him broken, as his somewhat suspect, critless beginning is bolstered.

Fun fact: His name is Old English for rugged.

9.5/10, because notFriendly

HM bonuses turn him funkier! That skill/speed and crit bonus will be put to good use. Now if only he didn't need to be carried in LTC. Still, other than the risk of his strength going bad, I can't see much wrong with him. Joins early, great starting stats. All he needs now is a pony of his own!

9/10, -0.5 because I think he's a boring character, but still a fantastic unit.