PA man arrested

Flying Shogi

For kicking his daughter out of the house for a bad grade on a Calculus test. Extreme much? But then again, I'm not surprised. He then says in court that he has all rights to punish his daughter and showed no remorse over this.

Don't really have a source but it was on the news.

Here's the source: http://www.myfoxphilly.com/story/18661896/2012/05/30/father-allegedly-abandons-daughter-over-bad-grade

Sorry about that.

Edited by UberLughFTW

Some Scandinavian father once left his son at the football(soccer) field after his team lost the game. And he said to him he had to walk the entire way home. In the freezing scandinavian winter, in his sweaty sportsclothes, to his house which was at least 50km away.

asian parents arent the only ones who are insane.

OP says he was arrested and taken to court, so it seems reasonable to assume she wasn't legally an adult. Then again, there is no source or any context whatsoever, so anything is possible. :rolleyes:

I tried finding a source, but my Google searches didn't yield anything relevant. I am a bit uncomfortable with this thread as it is not only uncorroborated gossip but also plays around with a racial stereotype.

Everyone keeps saying "asian parents". Asians are probably some of the most racially diverse people. What are we talking about here when we say "asians"? Are we talking Japanese? Chinese? Koreans? Indians? Pakistanis? Filipinos? Malaysians?

Asians are probably some of the most racially diverse people.

Uh... No. Asian's are extraordinarily xenophobic, especially in Japan, China, and South Korea. They're one of the last "groups of people" I would call "diverse."

Uh... No. Asian's are extraordinarily xenophobic, especially in Japan, China, and South Korea. They're one of the last "groups of people" I would call "diverse."

I'm not even going to go into whether this is true, so much as point out that "diverse" doesn't mean "tolerant" so your comment isn't even relevant. The comment has more to do with the fact that you can divide, for example, Japanese, Chinese, and Koreans culturally, ethnically, racially or what have you, not to mention all the other Asian peoples.

Of course, this really holds just as true for a lot of "umbrella groups" like black, white, hispanic, and I'm not even sure if there is currently a "catch-all" word for peoples primarily centered in the Middle East (some people even object to the term "Middle East").

Edited by Hawkeye Hank Hatfield

This is proving my point. I say Asia and list a number of nations showing the geographic region to be incredibly ethnically and culturally variant, and you come along and narrow it down to eastern asians such as the Chinese and Japanese. Go figure that a post meant to point out the folly of using a term incorrectly somehow causes that behavior in response.

Now seriously; was this a joke post? How could you have failed to read two lines of information when you went to cherry-pick that portion of it?

Given the guy's name, it sounds like he's from southeast Asia, not that it helps any. That punishment didn't fit her infraction. The time she could've spent studying calculus would instead be wasted going from some shopping mall to home.

I'm not even going to go into whether this is true, so much as point out that "diverse" doesn't mean "tolerant" so your comment isn't even relevant.

Xenophobic countries lack diversity because they refuse to allow other cultures to really mesh into their populations. Also, I suggest you take a look at population sizes of Asian countries, as the vast majority of them lack diversity.

Go figure that a post meant to point out the folly of using a term incorrectly somehow causes that behavior in response.

Asian is a term that has no set definition (it actually has multiple) and is just most commonly used as a generalized concept meant to refer to a group (or groups) of people descended from a specific area of the continent of Asia, which Pakistan generally doesn't fall under btw. No shit groups of people from an entire continent are diverse. What bothered me about your post is that when you actually look at all those groups one by one, as in the groups of Asians that make up the term Asian, they all completely lack diversity, and I'm sure there are people out there who could argue that Asians still lack cultural diversity based on how you tried to define the term, given how broad the terms involved can be.

Xenophobic countries lack diversity because they refuse to allow other cultures to really mesh into their populations. Also, I suggest you take a look at population sizes of Asian countries, as the vast majority of them lack diversity.

You still are missing the point. He didn't say "asian countries are (or aren't) diverse." He was saying that the word Asian refers to a diverse group of people.

The population sizes of Asian countries is, on its own, not enough to determine diversity. The overall size has to be compared in a ratio to a subgroup. Indonesia, t he third largest Asian country (and 4th largest in the world) has a very diverse population, in part because the islands that make up the country have somewhat separate histories and cultures. India, the second most populated, also has a lot of different ethnicities. China is predominantly Han Chinese, however (I think around 90%), so strictly in terms of racial diversity I think it could be considered fairly uniform. Other aspects of diversity, like language, cuisine, religion (if any), occupation are probably quite diverse.

Simply because a country is xenophobic does not mean it is not diverse; it just means acceptance of diversity is lacking.

What bothered me about your post is that when you actually look at all those groups one by one, as in the groups of Asians that make up the term Asian, they all completely lack diversity, and I'm sure there are people out there who could argue that Asians still lack cultural diversity based on how you tried to define the term, given how broad the terms involved can be.

OK, please explain why you think Asians lack cultural diversity (which is definitely not remotely chauvinistic) even though only 43% of Indians speak Hindi while 82% of Americans (which I think we can safely consider a pretty diverse country) speak English. India also has a lot of diversity in the musics compared between the North and the South, and within each region there's plenty of diversity. At least two major religions started in India. Give an account of every asian culture's lack of diversity. We will cut off Asia at India. Pakistan and Russia will not be considered Asia.

This should be pretty entertaining.

Edited by Hawkeye Hank Hatfield

You still are missing the point. He didn't say "asian countries are (or aren't) diverse." He was saying that the word Asian refers to a diverse group of people.

No shit groups of people from an entire continent are diverse.

He was saying that the word Asian refers to a diverse group of people.

This way of phrasing diverse still bugs me when used in context with Asians...

The population sizes of Asian countries is, on its own, not enough to determine diversity.

To an extent, I would disagree. A country made up of mostly the same group of people is by definition not diverse.

OK, please explain why you think Asians lack cultural diversity

Give an account of every asian culture's lack of diversity. We will cut off Asia at India. Pakistan and Russia will not be considered Asia.

This should be pretty entertaining.

I'll just give a small summaries then since we are going off topic (If you think I missed any, let me know). Also, did most of these really half-assed tried not to do any middle eastern countries:

India: Can't say much since India's government (census) doesn't even keep track of how diverse the people in their country really are, and I don't know much about it other than it has a lot of it's own cultures.

Indonesia: Among it's own people, it is very diverse, but they have lots of anti-Chinese sentiments among the people.

Japan: This one should be obvious. Xenophobic as fuck, 98% ethnic Japanese, tons of racial issues regardless. Government places really low priority on non-Japanese. I imagine this will change someday due to their declining population.

Laos: Again, diverse among its own people, little to no outside diversity. Government was accused of committing genocide among it's own people.

Malaysia: Very diverse.

Burma: Average diversity.

Mongolia: Not diverse.

Philippines: Again, diverse amongst its own people.

Sri Lanka: Again, diverse amongst its own people.

Thailand: Diverse.

East Timor: Not diverse.

Vietnam: Below Average diversity.

Cambodia: Below Average diversity.

China: Diverse among its own people, otherwise not diverse.

North Korea: Not diverse at all, but that should be a given.

South Korea: Probably one of the least diverse countries in the world, and from what I've seen and heard, it's probably the most racist county in the world.

Essentially, the main reason I don't view most Asian countries as diverse is because the majority of the diversity the countries have are self contained (i.e. lack of immigrants and thus lack of outside influence). I would say the same of most other countries in the world too, it's just that the main difference is that countries like Japan, the Koreas, and China are all notorious for their xenophobia and obviously they have the most influence in the region. Honestly, the only countries in the world I would call diverse are America, Canada, Australia, England, France, and maybe a couple other European countries, though I don't know much about South America and don't really care much about them either (except for Brazil). Africa on the other hand is the "most diverse continent" in the world from what I hear, but if it has the same problem as most Asian countries (which I believe it does), I wouldn't call that diverse either really. I mean, at the end of the day, regardless of what state you come from (New York, New Jersey), you're still "American", you know what I mean? Also, as someone who grew up with close ties to the United Nations, I imagine my concept of diversity is much different than the average person.

Asian is a term that has no set definition (it actually has multiple) and is just most commonly used as a generalized concept meant to refer to a group (or groups) of people descended from a specific area of the continent of Asia, which Pakistan generally doesn't fall under btw.

Right. Whenever anyone says "asian" these days, they really mean "those people with slanty eyes." Which is moronic; that was the underlying point I was obviously making.

No shit groups of people from an entire continent are diverse. What bothered me about your post is that when you actually look at all those groups one by one, as in the groups of Asians that make up the term Asian, they all completely lack diversity, and I'm sure there are people out there who could argue that Asians still lack cultural diversity based on how you tried to define the term, given how broad the terms involved can be.

Okay, first off: Even in such traditionally narrow-minded societies as Japan, there is a massive amount of cultural diversity, even over such a small geographic area. Sure, compared to such places as modern America Japan's overall history and cultural clashing aren't comparative in the same exact way, but then nowhere is, as America is a huge melting pot and cultures throughout history clash in different ways. And again, to restate what has already been stated, but you fittingly ran right over without paying attention; diversity doesn't imply tolerance. A society doesn't have to be accepting of different cultures to become diverse.

This way of phrasing diverse still bugs me when used in context with Asians...

Why? Because it doesn't group a whole bunch of people into one physical characteristic you can generalize endlessly?

To an extent, I would disagree. A country made up of mostly the same group of people is by definition not diverse.

What are you saying are mostly the same? Racially? Are you boiling all the diversity of a nation down to racial characteristics?

Edited by Esau of Isaac

Japan: This one should be obvious. Xenophobic as fuck, 98% ethnic Japanese, tons of racial issues regardless. Government places really low priority on non-Japanese. I imagine this will change someday due to their declining population.

"Xenophobic" and "diverse" are two different meanings. What part of this don't you understand?

I'm highlighting Japan because it's the country I know the most about. Within Japan, there is diversity. Unfortunately, it's lost to someone like you.

Also, I suggest you take a look at population sizes of Asian countries, as the vast majority of them lack diversity.

The population sizes of Asian countries is, on its own, not enough to determine diversity. The overall size has to be compared in a ratio to a subgroup.

So actually, you agree, because I just said that population size isn't enough to determine diversity in the case of Asian countries (or other countries). Diversity of reading comprehension is quite high on this forum. Basically, you said "take a look at population sizes of Asian countries" but you would want to look at population demographics. It is worth saying that real diversity does pretty much require more rather than less biomass/population/etc - two people who are very different are probably still less diverse than 100 people who are mostly the same in some respects.

India: Can't say much since India's government (census) doesn't even keep track of how diverse the people in their country really are, and I don't know much about it other than it has a lot of it's own cultures.
What bothered me about your post is that when you actually look at all those groups one by one, as in the groups of Asians that make up the term Asian, they all completely lack diversity

So it is diverse, or at least you don't know if it's diverse or not because you basically know nothing about its population, and you admit you are wrong (you said every group referred to as asian is not diverse, and implied a strong degree of confidence about this). Thanks. Just another rash generalization. I'll stop reading there.

(I will just say that "diverse among its own peoples" clearly qualifies as diversity, and in many of these situations these peoples can probably be argued to be of different races.)

South Korea: Probably one of the least diverse countries in the world, and from what I've seen and heard, it's probably the most racist county in the world.

Source? Link? Anything to give us an example of where these places you've "seen" and "heard" this information? Because just putting it like this without even a single source to back it up just reeks of bias and unnecessariness. How many countries are there in the world? How do you know it's the most racist country in the world? You're not even gonna give me a source?

Source? Link? Anything to give us an example of where these places you've "seen" and "heard" this information? Because just putting it like this without even a single source to back it up just reeks of bias and unnecessariness. How many countries are there in the world? How do you know it's the most racist country in the world? You're not even gonna give me a source?

It's Blademaster! Lots of assumptions, personal bias, and very few sources. I'm pretty sure South Korea has its own diversity, but alas, I know very little about it.

It's Blademaster! Lots of assumptions, personal bias, and very few sources. I'm pretty sure South Korea has its own diversity, but alas, I know very little about it.

Haha ... don't worry about it. I know little about South Korea myself, even though I should know at least something about it.

Still, Blademaster, you shouldn't be calling any country "the most racist country in the world" unless you actually have sources to back you up other than "I've seen and heard somewhere".

There are three South Koreans at my school, and they don't strike me as at all racist. Well, there's one that I know isn't a big fan of the Japanese, but that's the extent of it, and that's not so much race as nationalism. Mind you, looking at 15-17 year olds is generally not indicative of a whole country. By far most of the teenagers I know are pro-gay marriage, yet it definitely won't have the overall support of my region any time soon.