"I just want to know one thing!" - FE13 Edition

Popo

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody remember what's in the chests in Flames on the Blue(I suck at remembering numbers)? Are they worth opening, or should I just make a run for the boss and be done with it?

+Magic -Strength/Skill/Speed/Defense FeMU

Ricken x Miriel

Laurent x FeMU

Technically Ricken x Tharja and then Noire x MaMU also works, but that reduces the number of galeforce units. But it's still technically correct, so I thought I'd mention it in case you later decide you REALLY want a female Morgan supermage.

Edited by Alastor15243

Hello again.

I have a rather indepth question about reclassing, Second Seals and Master Seals. I am playing in Normal Mode. OK, here goes.

I have just done Chapter 9, Emmeryn. All my characters are now above level 10 in their starter classes (I haven't used any Seals). When is a good time to use Second/Master Seals? Googling for this, I've heard WILDLY varying opinions. Some say keep them in starter classes until level 20 for the statgain, THEN reclass. Some say at level 10 when you have gotten the second Skill, so you can have a variety of skills earlier.

Some say go for Promoted Classes immediately for their powerful Skills, then go back to basic Classes to round them out, others say keep reclassing in basic, until you're satisfied with your amount of Skills, and THEN use the Master Seal for the final Promoted Class for your character.

Currently I'm leaning toward reclassing toward a promoted Class for the powerful Skills, then go back to basic for other useful Skills. Is this good or not?

(I think I'll wait until Donnell is Villager lvl 15 for his second Skill before I reclass him.)

Edited by Mousse9

It really depends on you.

For me, the characters I use for the story are promoted once they reach level 20 in their first tier class. I then wait for them to reach level 15 in their promoted class and reclass to another promoted class.

Once post game comes, I do things a bit differently depending on if I used the character or not during the story.

When is a good time to use Second/Master Seals? Googling for this, I've heard WILDLY varying opinions. Some say keep them in starter classes until level 20 for the statgain, THEN reclass. Some say at level 10 when you have gotten the second Skill, so you can have a variety of skills earlier.

Some say go for Promoted Classes immediately for their powerful Skills, then go back to basic Classes to round them out, others say keep reclassing in basic, until you're satisfied with your amount of Skills, and THEN use the Master Seal for the final Promoted Class for your character.

Currently I'm leaning toward reclassing toward a promoted Class for the powerful Skills, then go back to basic for other useful Skills. Is this good or not?

(I think I'll wait until Donnell is Villager lvl 15 for his second Skill before I reclass him.)

Dependent on whether you want to grind a lot.

What I've personally done recently is promote the character at lv. 20 when they are in their initial class, then reclass them when they hit lv. 16 of their promoted class, so that they get both the lv. 15 promoted skill and have an additional level that doesn't get added to the Cumulative Level.

In additional reclassing(s), here it's dependent on difficulty:

Normal: the Cumulative level cap is 20. No matter what, the second reclass will hit this cap, so I can do anything from here.

Hard: the cap is 30. Can afford two unpromoted reclasses. If promoted at second reclass, same as Normal.

Lunatic(+): the cap is now 50. I can afford two reclassings at promoted lv. 16

My goal in this strategy is getting in levels but also to get the lv. 15 promoted skills. Mainly employing it for Lunatic.

Just remember that each time you use a Second Seal, it adds to the Cumulative level. Using a Master Seal doesn't.

If you're not going for mastering all classes and only want a handful of skills, I guess I could recommend the one where you reclass at unpromoted. Especially for good unpromoted skills like Anathema/Hex and Armsthrift.

With Donnel, yeah, you could wait until lv. 16 under my strategy, but his Villager bases are so bad (and not like he can continue using Lance after reclass anyways) that you'll probably want to reclass at 15. Underdog can be useful in his first reclass or if you have access to Dread Fighter.

Anybody remember what's in the chests in Flames on the Blue(I suck at remembering numbers)? Are they worth opening, or should I just make a run for the boss and be done with it?

Chapter 14? Opening chests in Lunatic and hope that none of the contents changed between difficulties.

Right boat, top chest: Bullion (M)

Right boat, bottom chest: Recover

Bottom boat chest: Second Seal

You could gung-ho for the commander if you can afford to miss out on the Second Seal and the Talisman from the enemy on the south boat.

I have just Googled and read up on what "Cumulative Level Cap" is. Though I still don't really understand it, as far as I can figure out, it has to do with how much experience points you earn. The way Dual Dragons was talking, I thought there was a set limit to how many times characters could gain levels after being reclassed/promoted!

Since I'm playing on Normal, and many of my characters are already starting to creep up on level 16 and above in their starting classes, I think I'll have them go up to level 20, and not worry too much about it.

I do need to find more Second/Master Seals though, when do they start appearing in shops?

Masters are buyable in Cht.12, Seconds are buyable in Cht.16 (though you can get them earlier if you marry off Nowi, Cordelia or Olivia).

The most effective way to use the Seals is usually reclass at 20 (1st gen units) or 10 (2nd gen units and Panne) once, then promote, then reclass at 15. That's not always the best way to do things, but it's generally pretty solid. Promoting and then returning to base is a good way to run up against your stat caps, wasting level-ups (though it is easier on your Seal supply, if you have a large team).

On Normal though, it doesn't really matter and I'd just avoid Second Seals altogether, because the game is more fun when your characters are in their canonical classes.

I'm sorry, but this is REALLY confusing. I know that the level cap in Normal Mode is 20. Maribelle and Lissa are nearing that, as well as some others (level 18 in their starter classes). ALL of my characters are still in their starter (unpromoted) classes (except Frederick and Libra, etc.).

What do you mean by resetting their level? The only thing I can think of, is using a Second Seal to get a level 20 Promoted Class back down to level 1 (in whichever class), so he/she can continue earning experience.

So hitting the level 20 cap in the starter class should not make them unable to reset their level, right?

Can someone explain, or link to a website that explains it?

When you use a Second/Master Seal, your level resets to 1. If you can't buy those in bulk before you start grinding, you're going to have problems because you can't keep leveling once you've hit 20 until you use a Seal.

Ah...OK, that I understand.

Well, that means I'll have to try and bruteforce my way through Chapters 11 and 12. I just checked, and only Maribelle is level 18, the rest are 13-16. I've tried to grind my lowest level chars for a level or 2 a bit inbetween chapters, to keep them from falling behind, and if possible, use them in the next Chapter. Don't think I can get away with that now though, I'll actually have to use the few Promoted ones (Frederick, Libra and Anna), and the highest level ones. Anyway, I'll see how it goes.

I'm sorry, but this is REALLY confusing. I know that the level cap in Normal Mode is 20. Maribelle and Lissa are nearing that, as well as some others (level 18 in their starter classes). ALL of my characters are still in their starter (unpromoted) classes (except Frederick and Libra, etc.).

What do you mean by resetting their level? The only thing I can think of, is using a Second Seal to get a level 20 Promoted Class back down to level 1 (in whichever class), so he/she can continue earning experience.

So hitting the level 20 cap in the starter class should not make them unable to reset their level, right?

Can someone explain, or link to a website that explains it?

Sorry if I was confusing before.You're right about the Cumulative level cap. The Cumulative level really only affects how much experience you gain, not how many levels you can gain. A Chrom that reclassed once as a lv 16 Great Lord will have 17 Cumulative level. This adds to Chrom's (lets say I reclassed him to Cavalier) lv. 1 to make him, essentially, a lv. 18 Cavalier.

Eventually, you'll hit a Cumulative level cap, depending on which difficulty you are in, which is the numbers I provided before. The higher the cap, the less experience you will gain.

The displayed level (that which you see on screen) is capped at 20 for unpromoted and promoted. You can use Master and Second Seals indefinitely--as long as you have them, which is what Czar_Yoshi is warning about since the Seals (especially the Second) are limited in the beginning.

Ah...OK, that I understand.

Well, that means I'll have to try and bruteforce my way through Chapters 11 and 12. I just checked, and only Maribelle is level 18, the rest are 13-16. I've tried to grind my lowest level chars for a level or 2 a bit inbetween chapters, to keep them from falling behind, and if possible, use them in the next Chapter. Don't think I can get away with that now though, I'll actually have to use the few Promoted ones (Frederick, Libra and Anna), and the highest level ones. Anyway, I'll see how it goes.

And you haven't promoted anyone yet? Not even Robin? S/he usually ends up being the highest.

If it helps any, it's not always bad to prematurely promote someone who hasn't hit 20 as an unpromoted. You just won't get the stats you could have in those next two levels (if you're Maribelle). Sometimes you need the promotion bonuses more than the additional stats. Especially if you're Maribelle or Lissa, who can't fight back until promoted.

I'm not sure how your skill level is with the game, but I'd say you're actually around the levels of the enemies are in Chapters 11 and 12. I'm pretty sure the enemies in C12 ranged from lv. 12 unpromoted to lv. 1 promoted (not counting boss).

If you need to use the prepromotes, I guess Fred and Libra could do. Fred for the occasional power and Libra for healing potential. I find Anna too frail for my liking; her Lucky Seven skill will run out of juice if you don't complete the chapter in under seven turns. Though I don't know if you're using her for the chests and not Gaius.

Well, I've finished Chapter 11 and 12. Whoo, the last one had a close call like you wouldn't believe. I thought I had planned it SO well. Everybody had steel or better weapons, Hammers and Beastkillers against the Cavaliers and Knights, and I played very defensively. Until I realized I had not put a Healing Staff on Libra. In fact, NO healing things AT ALL. And they ALL targeted him, like 5 times in a row. Amazingly, he dodged the last 2 attacks and survived with 3 HP...

Anyway, I won, and can now buy Beaststones, Dragonstones and Master Seals. Thing is, I think I'm going to grind a few characters to level 20 (the ones that are close to the level cap), and Promote them. I won't bore you with whom I should grind/promote, or which Promoted Class to use for said characters.

Instead, should I grind for Promotion at all? Is after Chapter 12 a good time to Promote? Or just let it come naturally during Chapters? I just checked Chapter 13, and there seem to be more and more Promoted classes around...

Well, that's it. It's late, gotta get up early tomorrow.

PS. OMG, I never knew Fire Emblem was so good, maybe I'll look into the previous games (got a Gameboy Advance lying around somewhere...)

Instead, should I grind for Promotion at all? Is after Chapter 12 a good time to Promote? Or just let it come naturally during Chapters? I just checked Chapter 13, and there seem to be more and more Promoted classes around...PS. OMG, I never knew Fire Emblem was so good, maybe I'll look into the previous games (got a Gameboy Advance lying around somewhere...)

Only if you reeeeeeally want to, or you find yourself having difficulty in other chapters. If you let battle for experience only through Chapter battles, it gives you the quintessential essence of the previous Fire Emblem games (sans Arena Abuse and Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones).

Even though there are promoted units, they tend to have dumbed-down stats compared to well-trained unpromoted. Well, usually. In your case, since you seemed to have spread the experience to more units, you might want to promote one or two units.

If you just have GBA, Sacred Stones is of a similar nature to Awakening when it comes to extraneous battles. It's also a pretty easy title. I'm more partial to Fire Emblem (also known as Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword around these parts) when it comes to the localized GBA Fire Emblem titles.

If you're looking for a Fire Emblem game closer to the series' original game style, Path of Radiance is one of my all-time favorites. Relatively-speaking, it's on the easier side as well. Awakening is quite different from Path of Radiance and other localized titles, so I think Path of Radiance can ease you in to the core style. Though you'll have to have Gamecube or Wii for that one. And apparently money because holy crap, Amazon.

Are you trying to train every single unit you get? Normal with grinding shouldn't be giving you trouble (you'll never be able to deploy all of them at once, even in the final chapter).

I usually have all the units I'll be using promoted by the end of Cht.11 (all of them that I have by that point, at least), with at least two Second Seals used already.

Sacred Stones is probably the best point for jumping to the rest of the series from Awakening. It's pretty cheap, and even comes free if you have an Ambassador Certificate.

Here's an example for you:

Class                  Visible level     Invisible level        Internal level
-------------------    ---------------   --------------------   --------------
 8 Lodestar                   8                            0      8 +  0 =  8
10 Lodestar                  10                            0     10 +  0 = 10
 1 Mercenary                  1            0 + (10-1)/2 =  4      1 +  4 =  5
10 Mercenary                 10                            4     10 +  4 = 14
 1 Hero                      21                            4     21 +  4 = 25
15 Hero                      35                            4     35 +  4 = 39
 1 Griffon Knight            21            4 + (35-1)/2 = 21     21 + 21 = 42
15 Griffon Knight            35                           21     35 + 21 = 56
 1 Lodestar                   1           21 + (35-1)/2 = 38      1 + 38 = 39
As a level 1 Lodestar, DLC Marth after following your route will be treated as a level 39 unit on Lunatic, level 31 on Hard and level 21 on Normal.

Reclass to unpromoted units first from Armsthrift Mercenary ---> Pegasus Knight.

It'll screw over your internal levels less than if you reclass from Hero --> Dark Flier.

If anyone is still having trouble with the internal levels, here's another example.

I just skimmed the recent page because I'm still doing stuff at work.

If your Streetpass team is geared toward people who haven't even finished the game yet (and thus clearly not minmaxed with LB), Spd and Def will be good assets. But why would you make a non-minmaxed team?

People who haven't finished the game yet are also less likely to have the DLC required to display those classes properly. If you really are making a beginner-friendly team, don't bother with anything from the DLC.

And if this actually is a postgame team, Str, Skl and Spd are your best bets.

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

Only if you reeeeeeally want to, or you find yourself having difficulty in other chapters. If you let battle for experience only through Chapter battles, it gives you the quintessential essence of the previous Fire Emblem games (sans Arena Abuse and Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones).

Even though there are promoted units, they tend to have dumbed-down stats compared to well-trained unpromoted. Well, usually. In your case, since you seemed to have spread the experience to more units, you might want to promote one or two units.

If you just have GBA, Sacred Stones is of a similar nature to Awakening when it comes to extraneous battles. It's also a pretty easy title. I'm more partial to Fire Emblem (also known as Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword around these parts) when it comes to the localized GBA Fire Emblem titles.

If you're looking for a Fire Emblem game closer to the series' original game style, Path of Radiance is one of my all-time favorites. Relatively-speaking, it's on the easier side as well. Awakening is quite different from Path of Radiance and other localized titles, so I think Path of Radiance can ease you in to the core style. Though you'll have to have Gamecube or Wii for that one. And apparently money because holy crap, Amazon.

I usually try to be overleveled, rather than have it be too close for comfort. In this case, overleveled probably means Promoted. And I don't like the fact that some of the classes are rather useless in combat, like Lissa and Maribelle, I want them to be able to at least defend themselves. Same goes for Virion, in melee he's useless, UNLIKE the mage classes. I don't use Virion much though, if at all.

The ones I'm thinking of promoting are Lissa, Maribelle, Chrom, My Unit, Sumia and Cordelia. Lissa as Sage, Maribelle as Valkyrie, Chrom as Great Lord, and My Unit as Grandmaster. Sumia and Cordelia I use a LOT (they hit SO hard and fast!), so Dark Flier for both for Galeforce (yes, I've been reading up on stuff!).

Oh yeah, Donnel to get him out of that Villager class (he's level 15 now).

Panne and Nowi are very strong right now, and I don't know if I should Second Seal them to another class for more skills at the moment.

Are you trying to train every single unit you get? Normal with grinding shouldn't be giving you trouble (you'll never be able to deploy all of them at once, even in the final chapter).

I usually have all the units I'll be using promoted by the end of Cht.11 (all of them that I have by that point, at least), with at least two Second Seals used already.

Sacred Stones is probably the best point for jumping to the rest of the series from Awakening. It's pretty cheap, and even comes free if you have an Ambassador Certificate.

Yes, I AM trying to train every single unit I get through the storyline itself, including the very weak characters like Virion and Kellam. A leftover from my Pokemon playing days.

You don't wait for Promotion until they're level 20 in their starter class? (Donnel's an exception ofcourse...)

The ones I'm thinking of promoting are Lissa, Maribelle, Chrom, My Unit, Sumia and Cordelia. Lissa as Sage, Maribelle as Valkyrie, Chrom as Great Lord, and My Unit as Grandmaster. Sumia and Cordelia I use a LOT (they hit SO hard and fast!), so Dark Flier for both for Galeforce (yes, I've been reading up on stuff!).

Oh yeah, Donnel to get him out of that Villager class (he's level 15 now).

Panne and Nowi are very strong right now, and I don't know if I should Second Seal them to another class for more skills at the moment.

If you play Lunatic(+), you may find Virion's use better there. Normal... eh... he kind of gets outshined badly. At least Kellam has access to better skills.

I hear most will Second Seal Panne to Wyvern Rider. Taguel class bases are so low that when she shifts on over to Wyvern Rider, she basically gets promoted-like bonuses, which is great for her Strength and Speed especially (I forget which other stats go up).

Nowi's a hard case. She's getting bonuses from her Dragonstone (much like Panne, I think?). She's not going to have those bonuses when she goes to another Class. I'm not sure how low the Manakete class bases are but I don't think she's considered as highly as Panne. (This is Normal mode, though, so really there shouldn't be any problems with even Nowi). I would recommend Panne over Nowi if strapped for Second Seals. Panne needs it because of the stupid Taguel low bases and the permanent one-range weapon that doesn't even get Weapon Level bonuses.

Edited by Dual Dragons

Nowi Level 15: Panne Level 16:

Str: 12+8 =20 11+3 =14

Mag: 3+5 =8 4 =4

Skill: 7+3 =10 17+5 =22

Speed: 12+2 =14 19+5 =24

Luck: 16 =16 13+4 =17

Defense: 8+10 =18 12+1 =13

Res: 7+7 =14 8 =8

I hope that came out right.

As you can see, Nowi is very balanced in her stats, except for Strength (very high) and Magic (rather low). But without Dragonstone, she's very weak, losing nearly half her Strength, OVER half her Defense, and halves her Resistance. 4 of 7 stats are single digits...(Maybe I just had bad luck with leveling, I don't know).

Reclassing her as Mage would be terrible, even with +2 Magic at level 1. Wyvern Rider...I don't know enough about Wyvern Rider to make any assumptions, but if I had to reclass Nowi, it'd have to be Wyvern Rider, Mage is a bad option. (Unless I'd want to level up her very weak Magic stat.). I haven't even gone into Skills for her at ALL....

Panne...For a physical fighter, her Strength is low. The only high stats are Skill and Speed. Speed is always good, but I don't really know what Skill does...What would be a good reclass for her be? Either for good Skills, or alleviate her weaknesses.

Since they're both level 15 or over, they've got their second Skill, and now would be the time to Reclass....Any advice on these two?