Any tips for Highschool?

Gold Vanguard

If you're prepared and know the risks and all, I think it's okay. People just having unprotected sex all over the place isn't what I'm talking about and the world is already overpopulated anyway.

Space colonization.

Kill all the nonasians.

JUSSSSSSST KDDDING!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Make sure people who are copying are not the dumbs. A guy wanted to use my notes but couldn't read them b/c my handwriting is horrible; I typed them up and he just printed them out and handed them in typed up. I didn't get in any kind of trouble and I don't remember if he did, but it was pretty stupid, since he never used a laptop in class. The teacher was definitely suspicious of him, at least.

(The class was health, obv really easy, but the teacher was an idiot and graded our notes at the end of the semester; naturally this kid didn't know the notes were being graded and didn't have any.)

I rarely copy from my friends( I do not make "friends" that are people I just know) and most of them are smart so if he is already smart, he shouldn't have too much trouble copying because of his good study habits. Or if he is coming from/ going to those "just hand in and get A" schools then I would suggest a better school cuz grades at certain high schools speak different volumes.

Copying is easy to detect so depending on how strict this person's school/class is, he can/can't get away with it. At my school, for a certain class, if the teacher notices that students copy, she gives both parties involved a zero and her assignments are worth a lot. Then there's teachers that just do not care but then they in turn give out tons of quizzes. I had like 2 classes this past school year that was like that.

Take 10 AP classes. They're easy and depends on where you go could save you some money, since I entered college as a sophomore :B

AP classes are not easy. If one does not have SOME sort of moderate to good comprehension on the subject already, one is going to fail unless that person studies like hell for that class. And also, schools in the US might soon decide to stop paying for AP tests due to the troubled economy. I had to pay $8 this year for my test but if they do start making people pay, it's regular price(I think $89) per test.

Edited by UberLughFTW

It depends on the AP class. In Canada, AP chemistry 11 and chemistry 11 are nearly identical. The only difference was hybrid orbitals (which we, the AP class did, and the chemistry classes did not), and the major project. The rest of the content was the same.

AP Math 11 and Academic Math 11 were vastly different though, mostly because AP Math used a lot of radians while Academic didn't really use them much.

Alcohol Topic:

Do not go nuts because I know people that got FUCKED with alcohol already and I'm going into senior year. If you are gonna drink, do it like me, occasionally and only in small intakes. Do not just face a handle of vodka at a party because some one told you to or because you think it is cool. Always drink responsibly.

Cigarettes Topic:

Don't touch 'em, the consequences are not worth it. People will tell you, "Hey, it just relaxes you, it's fine." Don't listen to them. It is addictive and it can kill you and ruin your life later on. However, do not write off anyone who does, I'm good friends with plenty of cigarette smokers, I just do not associate with smoking said cigarettes.

Weed/Drug Topic:

Most people here have immediately said, "NO WEED. IT'S BAD FOR YOU." Weed is, in fact, far from bad for you. It is a natural herb and does not damage your body in any major way and is not addictive. The only damage is smoker's lungs, which just makes you get winded quicker from running. Anything else someone could offer you will have a very negative effect on you. I have plenty of friends who smoke weed alot/ used to. They are in perfectly good shape and those who stopped did so with no problem.

Sex:

Go ape shit. Use condoms and know who you are banging, but still go ape shit. Worst comes to worst, find someone who can buy you morning after pills. Otherwise you'll be fine with that.

Edited by fuzz94

This is actually some pretty excellent advice! Plus, caffeine can be expensive, and college kids typically have a small budget.

So better advice might be learning how to not fuck-off all your money.

I never encouraged him one way or the other. I merely said not to be pressured into OR out of it, and to do whatever he genuinely enjoyed in moderation.

brb, moderately pulling a John Wayne Gacy

Edited by Celice

"Being social" is fine to a degree, but high school kids are boring, insecure people for the most part. Not at all worth throwing away a high GPA for. Find a small group of close friends and buckle down.

I'd say two to three groups of friends is better--as hanging out with the same people over and over again can become very boring for everyone.

Take 10 AP classes. They're easy and depends on where you go could save you some money, since I entered college as a sophomore :B

Don't develop too high of caffeine tolerance yet, save that for college (again, depending on the major)

At least for UC schools, 8 does the trick. ;)

But anyway, this is a general guide for AP's that take work to pass/get an 'A.' Please take AP's, as they only help you (academically and otherwise). AP kids, though sometimes have 'cliques,' usually form tight-knit communities and help each other out very much.

AP's that'll take work:

--All calculus courses

--Physics

--Chemistry

--Computer Science

--Biology

--AP History courses (Euro, US, World, SOLELY because of the notes)

--Language and Composition (analytical reading is the hardest to skill to practice and get better at, or so I've heard)

--Art History (TONS of memorization)

AP's that won't take too much:

--Macro/Micro Economics

--Literature and Composition

--Environmental Science

--Comparative or US Government

--Human Geography

--Psychology

--Statistics

Plan your high school academic life, OP, it's the easiest thing to plan (even plan out all four years and change the plan as you wish as time progresses), and it'll keep you motivated. Though this 'guide' is meant to help you with understanding how to take a good balance of AP's (don't take 4-6 hard AP's in one academic year, it's gruesome), don't underestimate any classes, even non-AP's. If you are lazy, your grades will tank.

Of course, all or none of these courses may be available to you. Find out which ones!

Edited by Phoenix Wright

Getting into a "prestigious" college shouldn't be some overwhelming priority like some people here are making it out to be. I, along with several other people I know, went to a regional mid-size public state school and all ended up just fine (few of them are off to med school, I just finished up my master's program). Your undergraduate institution isn't as important as some people seem to be making it out to be, and a lot of employers or graduate programs don't really care that much.

Now some career paths will care about your graduate and doctoral level schools, but that's so far down the road it isn't worth worrying about now.

And lol at people downplaying the social aspect of life. Make as many connections as possible, because even with mediocre academic work connections can get you wherever you want to go pretty much.

My freshman year of high school is a bit...urm...of a blur. lol! theres a reason for that...*shifty eyes* First things first, after you get your classes squared away, find a group of friends. It sounds kinda trivial but being all by your onesie when you first get into high school is very scary and unfun. Try to make friends with some upperclassmen because they can show you around, tell you whats up, etc. Freshman year isnt really all about "OMG I WANNA GET INTO AN AWESOME COLLEGE! TAKE ALL THE CLASSES AND HONORS AND JUNK!" Nah...you dont wanna overwhelm yourself. That comes later especially much later with SATs and junk. Just get a feel for everything.

Extracurricular activities are cool but choose wisely.

It depends on the AP class. In Canada, AP chemistry 11 and chemistry 11 are nearly identical. The only difference was hybrid orbitals (which we, the AP class did, and the chemistry classes did not), and the major project. The rest of the content was the same.

AP Math 11 and Academic Math 11 were vastly different though, mostly because AP Math used a lot of radians while Academic didn't really use them much.

Yeah, the 4 main subjects for AP do take a hike in difficulty from honors to AP. Then again , it could also be the pace. I was told that at my school AP Calc was the same as regular Calc but moves a faster speed in preparation for the AP exam.

My advice: Make sure to not act nervous when you are close to seniors! They tend to bully "prepas". I never got bullied because I acted normal around them haha. I saw some "prepas" get ridiculed though. Its not very nice!

I'd say two to three groups of friends is better--as hanging out with the same people over and over again can become very boring for everyone.

There's some wiggle-room here. I'm the kind of guy who prefers a clique of 5-10 people, but a little more is just dandy. The big thing here is that social time doesn't cut excessively into study time, which should be the priority if you want to be successful.

Getting into a "prestigious" college shouldn't be some overwhelming priority like some people here are making it out to be. I, along with several other people I know, went to a regional mid-size public state school and all ended up just fine (few of them are off to med school, I just finished up my master's program). Your undergraduate institution isn't as important as some people seem to be making it out to be, and a lot of employers or graduate programs don't really care that much.

Sorry, but this is patently false. Law schools care significantly about the quality of your undergrad program. So do business schools. And medical schools. And graduate schools. I'm actually struggling to think of a career path where undergrad isn't relevant.

And lol at people downplaying the social aspect of life. Make as many connections as possible, because even with mediocre academic work connections can get you wherever you want to go pretty much.

Jesus, are you really promoting the "drift off connections" approach? It's an urban myth. Living a frat house with some future CEO isn't going to land you a good job.

On the issue of friends, I'd say don't try to force yourself to make friends. People who are meant to be your friends will gravitate towards you, without you guys having to force yourselves. That's pretty much what happened with my group. We just drifted towards one another, then we kept in contact because we all had things in common that kept us together. It's been seven years since high school and I still see them.

Forget drinking, let's talk about drugs. This is perfectly right, he should never ever do drugs or smoke no matter how happy it makes him ever.

Everyone but you that posted before said he shouldn't do them, too.

Alcohol is a drug, and is a controlled substance in the USA.

I disagree with the "it's okay to use drugs in moderation". That shit can fuck up your life. The problem isn't being able to use it in moderation, it's that vast majority of people can't use it in moderation because it's addicting. Also smoking, lung cancer, emphysema blah blah blah. It's easier to just not do it than use it in moderation, because that will likely not happen.

I don't really have anything against drinking or sex.

Uhh, you do know that alcohol is addicting and can fuck up your life too, right?

--AP History courses (Euro, US, World, SOLELY because of the notes)

"The notes?" Not sure what you're referring to. But US and World were not hard.

--Biology

Not that hard.

Jesus, are you really promoting the "drift off connections" approach? It's an urban myth. Living a frat house with some future CEO isn't going to land you a good job.

"Drift off connections" is one thing, having and using them is another. Just saying.

Edited by L1049

:facepalm:

It's called "decide what the hell you want to do with your life". If OP wants to go to the state college 'cause it's cheaper, then research things like the application requirements. If OP wants to land a high-level job in a three-letter government agency, then drugs/cigarettes/alcohol/driving like an idiot are out of the question. If OP intends on being a brain surgeon, then knowing what's needed to be a brain surgeon (education and otherwise) is damn important. Having a plan, no matter how rough, is better than no plan at all.

Pertaining to friendship, it's your choice: suck up to people and have a bunch of worthless people to know, or be yourself and find friends that you'll have fun around.

I saw people say this multiple times, but let me reinforce it: don't just screw around because it's high school. I'm doing alright now, but I could have gotten much higher level classes if I actually tried. High school is really easy if you try.

In addition, try to get an idea of what you want as a career and stuff by high school. Because, as stated, it'll be helpful if you go into a lot of classes relating to your desired career.

Drugs, alcohol, and sex are your choice. I think the whole notion of the first two is pretty stupid in every context except medical purposes. The third... it just seems far too impractical for high school, just for fear of pregnancy happening. Not to you, but I'm assuming you're not a prick who would just impregnate someone and then run away.

Last, I know I said take classes seriously, but don't take life too seriously. It's important not to do anything stupid and it's important to well; but, relating to social stuff, remember that chances are that beyond high school nothing you did social-wise during these four years will matter. I'm not out of high school yet, but I've heard this same line by so many people who are out of high school that it can't just be coincidence.

I could sum up the general idea in one sentence: high school is a time when you're prone to impulse, but as long as you take a step back and be rational about things, you'll come out fine.

Uhh, you do know that alcohol is addicting and can fuck up your life too, right?

People in high school really shouldn't be drinking anyway, but a lot of people don't care about the age limits. And yes, it can, especially with DUI, but it's less harmful than drugs long term.

So can sex, but uh, I haven't heard of much people who were addicted to it.

Geee guys(and gals) thanks for the information. If I could I would give you all a hug but thats not possible. I'll try not to use drugs and weed(Sex on the other hand is something else) and try not to push my self.

Hey, if yer gonna be fooling around in the bedchamber, best take precaution. Best not to ruin some girl's life by putting a bastard in her belly at 15. Ya know?

How 'bout not ruining his own damn life in the process (child support and the like)? Again, this is where "planning your future" takes place. Since I knew I'd be busy after high school, I skipped out on all the "fun things", while still finding ways to enjoy my high school days.

Agreed with eclipse. Having early sex (in high school) can screw up the young mother's future, but it'll also screw up the young father's as well. In the case of both parties being willing to have sex, I don't see why a woman should get more sympathy than the man if they were both equally responsible in "doing the act".

I would advise against sex. There are lots of ways to have fun and enjoy yourself without doing sex or drugs or anything of the like. I still have fun at 22 without doing any of the like. But then again, it's your life.

Classes are not universal.

Look at what you're referring to:

But anyway, this is a general guide for AP's that take work to pass/get an 'A.'

Phoenix said this was a general list, so it probably focuses on general things (like, uh, the AP exams that AP students have the option of taking at the end of the year, which the material of AP classes generally tend to target, and after which AP classes that aren't multi-year go on break or do something fun). A grading rubric for a class, like "notes are collected and graded," does not make much sense to list as a reason for a course, generally, as difficult. It's like saying "AP biology is generally a hard course solely because my teacher was really bad."

I took one, and didn't pass the end-year test, in high-school. I'm now in my senior year at a UC.

:o

I was talking to Liang about entering as a "sophomore," so I'm speaking strictly of earning college credit. 8 AP's will generally do the trick.

If you don't mind, could you tell me what UC you're currently attending? PM or otherwise if you feel comfortable. We might be going to the same school haha.

I'm not speaking of difficulty, strictly, I'm just saying classes that are most likely to make you work harder/longer than other classes. US, World, and Euro are not hard classes at all in terms of their respective AP tests, but the work you have to do is pretty hefty.

Not that hard.

Never took bio, and of the three main science courses (chem, physics, and bio), bio is surely the easiest; however, I've heard and read that sometimes the bio test is pretty tough.

Phoenix said this was a general list, so it probably focuses on general things (like, uh, the AP exams that AP students have the option of taking at the end of the year, which the material of AP classes generally tend to target, and after which AP classes that aren't multi-year go on break or do something fun). A grading rubric for a class, like "notes are collected and graded," does not make much sense to list as a reason for a course, generally, as difficult. It's like saying "AP biology is generally a hard course solely because my teacher was really bad."

My 'general guide' was meant to be in terms of work. Difficulty was implied, and is a factor, but for the most part I meant work.

AP sciences, histories, art history, comp. sci, calc AB as well as BC, and lang. have the more difficult curricula of the AP tests offered. This is either attributed to the amount of material (histories) or difficulty of learning material (science/math/lang in my opinion).

And this list is based on my experiences anyhow, so take my advice with a grain of salt. I only find myself credible because I've taken a number of AP's.

Edited by Phoenix Wright

High School is a joke, but I'd still advise studying often and make sure your grades are your #1 priority. It's also a good idea to do extracurricular activities so you can look better to colleges even if you don't actually give a shit about them.