Ana's Updated Sprites

Anacybele

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe change mountain path-> fresh terracing and the windy path is still good (crazy farmers).

In general, those don't look like they were ever supposed to be 'cliff tiles' in the hard rock, carved by hundreds of years sense. They're softer, more like soil erosion/gullies and should probably border water flows as a rule of thumb.

yeah but what kind of water flows that uniformly

Manmade canals? x3

But obviously this is not a canal nor is it manmade =3

And yes I always thought that one sprite tile covered a huge scale... I never knew if that was so but I guess now I do =o

Uh, water's pretty predictable and on this map it would pretty much wash straight down the middle (thanks gravity), so the gullies going left and right don't make sense.

Imo it's the wrong tileset to be making an up-the-mountain path with, there's not a straightforward way of getting a sense of elevation with it.

Maybe change mountain path-> fresh terracing and the windy path is still good (crazy farmers).

I can't, this battle takes place on a mountain path. There's no water in this area either.

And I'm not denying anyone's help. In fact, I took everyone's advice before and improved Kiara's sprites AND the map, didn't I? I'm just having a hard time understanding how to improve it further.

Also, I HAVE been improving it further, I'm just not finished yet.

Edited by Anacybele

Uh, water's pretty predictable and on this map it would pretty much wash straight down the middle (thanks gravity), so the gullies going left and right don't make sense.

Um no, that's a big big no unless somehow in nature the slope had a clean straight-lined dent or weak dirt/rock in the ground

I don't think I should go into much detail in a geology lesson in a sprite topic though XD

Edited by Freohr Datia

Alright, guys, I've listened to what people said about the cliffs and paths and have made them look nicer and more natural. I just need to mess with those mountains and this should be good to go.

Um no, that's a big big no unless somehow in nature the slope had a clean straight-lined dent or weak dirt/rock in the ground

I don't think I should go into much detail in a geology lesson in a sprite topic though XD

By straight I mean all crookedy bendy-like the mountains in a general north-south fashion, veiny at the higher elevations and thicker at the lower. (Yah sorry bad example ^^;)

Edited by Lenh

Alright, I've finished touching up this map again. I would've finished sooner, except I wanted to watch a football game on TV (American, to clarify). But anyway.

DoDCh2bmap.png?t=1346380808

Edited by Anacybele

Hello laugh.gif!

Well you're getting the idea of what the clifffs should be like by using different tile but some of them are still to straight. The cliffs right now are like this:

howitiscliffs.png

All straight lines

It should be a little more like this (this is an exaggeration):

howishouldbecliffs.png

Yeah... in some of these I went over board like the second from the bottom but you get the idea.

Yeah, but I have few cliff tiles in the set I have. I don't have that much I can work with, I'm afraid.

And as I've said, some cliffs are naturally straight. That's why I felt it was okay to leave the southern most one fairly straight.

Edited by Anacybele

I guess I could be wrong but I don't think it's all that bad the way they are. Maybe the third one down and second from the bottom could use some work (I think even with the few tiles you have, that should be manageable to fix) EDIT: oh and I guess the bottom one too..

But idk if maybe it's more typical in FE maps to be more bendy like you describe so I don't think I would be one to speak much...

Oh Ana made an edit

Remember these are huge scale so while cliffs can be straight they aren't gonna be that consistent.

Edited by Freohr Datia

Okay, I opened GIMP so I could use the grid feature so I could properly place units on my map, but I can't seem to change the size of each grid square to equal the size of each map tile. I can't do this in Paint either, though my version of it also has a grid feature.

Is there some other way I could align units correctly?

Actually, nevermind, I found a solution on my own. I decided to make a grid. It takes a bit of time, but it's no big deal really. I just draw a 16x16 pixel square, then duplicate it over and over until I have squares on every map tile.

dod_chapter_2_map_by_great_aether-d5b578o.png

Booyah. Swapped out some Brigands for Fighters (the enemies in this chapter's battle only consists of unmounted and unpromoted axe users). Also slightly changed the locations of the boss, Ike, and the three bandits surrounding Ike.

EDIT: Oh, and Ike is now standing in a forest tile, so he's now even less likely to be hit. lol

Edited by Anacybele

Why do you have to insist on keeping the zigzag style in it? Do you like spending 30+ turns of traveling across a small map just becuase it swings back and forth all the way?

All the cliffs are exactly 2 tiles apart, and they are too neatly positioned. This zigzag pattern doesn't exist in nature (maaaaybe in a rare exception).

Either way, my real problem with this isn't so much unnaturality anymore, it's just that it'd be a terrible map to play on.

The unit choice doesn't really help, either.

You should cut out some cliffs so that the travel to the north is shorter. Way shorter. The cliffs themself look... alright I guess, even though they're still too straight for the most part.

That being said, it's good to see that you improved pretty much the rest of the map. Mountains still look eh, but this is really just a matter of getting experience with them.

Paths are also a lot better.

Now to get that damned zigzagging out of there >>.

Edited by Feawture

Don't you see it, Feaw?

Where her inspiration comes from?

Sigh.

I guess I'll just have to spell it out for you.

donkeykong.gif

All jokes aside, those mountains look better, especially compared to what you started with. But yeah, those cliffs could use some randomisation, and from a gameplay perspective the map looks kind of tedious. Although, I suppose if this is just for your fic or whatever that's not really an issue.

Edited by Agro

Why do you have to insist on keeping the zigzag style in it? Do you like spending 30+ turns of traveling across a small map just becuase it swings back and forth all the way?

All the cliffs are exactly 2 tiles apart, and they are too neatly positioned. This zigzag pattern doesn't exist in nature (maaaaybe in a rare exception).

Either way, my real problem with this isn't so much unnaturality anymore, it's just that it'd be a terrible map to play on.

The unit choice doesn't really help, either.

You should cut out some cliffs so that the travel to the north is shorter. Way shorter. The cliffs themself look... alright I guess, even though they're still too straight for the most part.

That being said, it's good to see that you improved pretty much the rest of the map. Mountains still look eh, but this is really just a matter of getting experience with them.

Paths are also a lot better.

Now to get that damned zigzagging out of there >>.

You've never traveled on mountain paths and roads then. They are always very windy, zigzaggy, snake-like and everything else that's similar. They are also usually thin as well Trust me, I've lived on mountains for over half my life. The only time there isn't a windy path on a traversable mountain is when stairs are built, and there are no outdoor stairs in this map. And even then, sometimes the stairs are also built in a zig-zag fashion. Also, how are ANY of those cliffs straight?

And actually, I would love to play a map like this, for the challenge. And you exaggerate, it wouldn't take 30 turns to complete this map. Maybe half that, at most. You wouldn't even have to go all the way to the top, anyway. The objective is to kill the boss. And Ranulf and Elincia don't start at the very bottom either.

Also, I describe this area in my fic as a long windy mountain path. Gotta keep consistency.

Agro: Very funny.

Kitty of Time: I don't have that program, nor have I heard of it. But I'm just fine with the method I use. Thanks anyway, though.

Edited by Anacybele

You've never traveled on mountain paths and roads then. They are always very windy, zigzaggy, snake-like and everything else that's similar. They are also usually thin as well Trust me, I've lived on mountains for over half my life. The only time there isn't a windy path on a traversable mountain is when stairs are built, and there are no outdoor stairs in this map. And even then, sometimes the stairs are also built in a zig-zag fashion.

My point still stands. Obviously things should be realistic (unless the point is to be unrealistic, but that's not the case here), but you sometimes have to sacrifice a bit of realism to get a better gameplay flow, which this map obviously lacks.

Also, how are ANY of those cliffs straight?

http://puu.sh/10J43

Seem pretty straight to me =/.

And actually, I would love to play a map like this, for the challenge.

Well you have terrible taste, then. And this isn't much of a challenge when you only face axe units, while you have a prepromote sword user, and Ike on a forest. I'm not even mentioning Ranulf since he isn't needed at all (and if he could transform it would be a cakewalk anyways, especially using the forests).

And you exaggerate, it wouldn't take 30 turns to complete this map. Maybe half that, at most. You wouldn't even have to go all the way to the top, anyway. The objective is to kill the boss.

Of course I exaggerated lol. I counted, it takes 9 turns to get between the boss and Ike (and that's ignoring the enemies).

Sure, this isn't too long, but it's really long for such a small map (since most of it is mountain and cliff).

And Ranulf and Elincia don't start at the very bottom either.

Oh wow, 2 whole tiles, awesome.

Also, I describe this area in my fic as a long windy mountain path. Gotta keep consistency.

K.

Except it could be executed a whole lot better.

But hey, you obviously seem to know this better than me, so why am I even arguing with you?

Edited by Feawture