Ana's Updated Sprites

Anacybele

Alrighty then, I'll do easier maps.

But realize that this will halt my comic series for awhile. Chapter 2's map is required for the next comic chronologically, so yeah (not to mention the previous comic also requires it and will need to have its background changed).

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trying? No, I've been DOING. Someone says the mountains look unnatural and need improved. I said okay and improved them. That's not TRYING to accept criticism. That's actually accepting and using it.

Also, you say I've made improvements, but then you say the map still has the same problems as before. That also pisses me off. Not only is it contradictory and making no sense (if it still has the same problems, how is it improved at all?), but I try and try but nothing ever satisfies you people.

Well it's a little of both... In some cases you're trying to do. But eventually you can get the hang of things. It's not so easy as you think to make fixes to what people described.

XD *hands Ana a dictionary*

Improving isn't 100% fixed and done. All it has to mean is it's better. Not best. So no, it was not contradictory.

And yeah the rest is pretty much all explained I think so that's good, as long as we've all come to an understanding~

Years of observation has taught me there is very little you learn. Im sorry but...this thread's last couple of pages are well...very familiar...

If I'm still exhibiting the same issues as before, then why is my thread still open? ;)

It would've surely been locked by now. Look, I'm trying my best to keep things peaceful in here, so let's not talk about this any further, alright?

Alright. Just..its getting near that territory. In a way, that was me pointing it out.

Anyway back on topic. You know what you should do? Try making smaller maps. Practicing with just little squares here and there. Im not sure how mapping even works but i did see some guys who are starting out doing that, do little bitty sample maps until they really got the hang of it.

Alright. Just..its getting near that territory. In a way, that was me pointing it out.

Oh, okay. I understand now. I'll be sure to prevent that from happening again in the future.

Anyway back on topic. You know what you should do? Try making smaller maps. Practicing with just little squares here and there. Im not sure how mapping even works but i did see some guys who are starting out doing that, do little bitty sample maps until they really got the hang of it.

That's a good idea. In fact, chapter 3's map is indeed smaller than chapter 2's. It's just more open and less linear, and there are a lot more enemies.

Years of observation has taught me there is very little you learn. Im sorry but...this thread's last couple of pages are well...very familiar...

Well that may be true in spriting, that some people just can't seem to become that good, but mapping is different. Mapping is a lot easier to grasp.

Anacybele isn't really bad for a beginner, at any rate. So I do believe she'll become good enough in a few years at most.

Plus, I started mapping many years back. Back then, no one could give legit criticism, and yet I got better and better. Practice is one thing, but as I said, mapping is just not very hard.

Yeah, I don't find it hard at all myself. It's just that some concepts are harder to pull off than others. And...mountains just aren't my thing yet. lol

And thanks, Feawture. People tell me I'm a quick study as well. And I do learn fast.

But I'm surprised there aren't more mapmakers if it's so much easier compared to making mugs and sprites.

Edited by Anacybele

Well it just has to happen to be on of your interests, you know. I've always been intrigued by level and mapmaking, so it's really my thing.

And mapping has only really been... accessible for the past bunch of years, really. Anyone with paint and skills could make sprites, but to make maps you'd still need the tiles and a tool (although it can be done in paint, but that's tedious as hell, so back in the way when no tools were known, there were barely any mappers out there).

Edited by Feawture

Well it just has to happen to be on of your interests, you know. I've always been intrigued by level and mapmaking, so it's really my thing.

And mapping has only really been... accessible for the past bunch of years, really. Anyone with paint and skills could make sprites, but to make maps you'd still need the tiles and a tool (although it can be done in paint, but that's tedious as hell, so back in the way when no tools were known, there were barely any mappers out there).

I think a lot of people like being able to make their own characters too. It's like with drawing, unless you really like making backgrounds, most people like to focus on the people. (That is not always the case though, as there are always exceptions... XD)

Yeah, that's true. Makes sense. I just really enjoy making my stories come to life by adding art and scenes, and in FE's case, sprites and maps.

Well that may be true in spriting, that some people just can't seem to become that good, but mapping is different. Mapping is a lot easier to grasp.

Anacybele isn't really bad for a beginner, at any rate. So I do believe she'll become good enough in a few years at most.

Plus, I started mapping many years back. Back then, no one could give legit criticism, and yet I got better and better. Practice is one thing, but as I said, mapping is just not very hard.

Ohh the quality of her stuff is not at all what i was getting at. I was talking more about her attitude toward criticism.

Okay, new map! As I promised, it's the map for chapter 3 of my FE fic. :)

DoDCh3bmap.png

So it's not that much smaller than chapter 2's... lol I really didn't think it would be quite this big. But anyway, this chapter's battle takes place in the bandit camp (yes, I did modify those tent tiles from the Sacae set so they'd work here) where the enemies from chapter 2 came from. Ike, Elincia, and Ranulf decide to attack it in hopes that they would find Azura there as well as retrieve Ike's stolen sword. But there are so many enemies there that the three are vastly outnumbered, especially with Ike unarmed. There are swordsmen among them this time as well. Thankfully, the trio is soon joined by two horse knights, Marc and Leona. They are an Axe Knight and Lance Knight respectively. The group starts roughly in the bottom right corner.

The objective is to rout the enemy, and there is a boss unit to defeat as well, but there's a twist. The real leader of the group of bandits here is actually side the big tent up top, and once the bandits outside are defeated, the second phase of the battle begins. In this phase, Marc and Leona remain outside and block the entrance (obviously because their horses can't go into a tent) and Ike, Ranulf, and Elincia have to beat the remaining bandits that are inside the big tent. Ike's sword is there on a table as well, but the bandits stand between it and Ike so he can't get to it. Ike grabs an axe from a stash of spare weapons, and the fight continues.

Edited by Anacybele

It's not as bad, linear-wise as the last one, but there's still too many linear features (like the row of three mini-hills on the mid-right and left side, as well as the five elements just south of the group of three mini-hills on the left side). Break those up.