Ana's Updated Sprites

Anacybele

Eclipse: Oh okay, I'll fix that then.

I don't see how many of the tents are right next to each other.

Different types of trees? Sure, I can do that.

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh. Well, that's only two pairs. I can easily fix that.

Theres a lot of huts. Is there a reason why theres so many?

Yeah. There are a lot of enemies. And they all needed a place to sleep, didn't they? :P:

Edited by Anacybele

Okay, I corrected those cliffs, and then added units since there's apparently nothing else to do here. :P:

dod_chapter_3_map_by_great_aether-d5dfgcf.png

Now compared to chapter 2, THIS map would be quite a challenge for an early chapter, wouldn't it?

That's uh... extremely crowded... 28 ish enemies for such a small map is really pushing it, especially so early on. I'd say reduce it to 20 and it should be fine. Also enemy placement is a little too organized. Considering they're bandits, make them a little bit more messy.

That's also a lot of tents. I know you said that becuase "they need a place to sleep", but with 50 members (just a random number I chose), and assuming each tent has a capacity of 4-5 bandits, you'd need 10-13 tents. Assuming the big thingy can hold 4x4 + 4 bandits (4 small tents and a big one, kinda lenient on the big one), thats 6-8 (excluding the big thing itself).

You have 14 tents, so I'd say reduce the amount to 7-11.

Why? It looks kinda bad on a map. It may be somewhat justified, but it just doesn't look nice at all.

As for the rest of the map, I like it. The cliffs seem somewhat randomly placed (and they don't connect to the mountains, which would make more sense), but it's no big deal.

Mountains themself are quite okay, good job.

Paths are good, light grass, yeah, this is quite a good map, congrats =).

EDIT: Some enemy archers would maybe be nice?

Edited by Feawture

I thought cliffs and all that were supposed to be random? Isn't that how nature works? It's random and messy? xP

But yeah, I probably did overdo it a bit on the amount of enemies there. As for their organization, these guys are actually part of a larger group known as the Red Claw, whom also have soldiers disguised as bandits. This is why they're smarter than your average ruffians. Of course, there are still some stupidheads among them, like the guys that attacked Ike and the ones that Azura and Elincia run into in chapter 1 (I gotta remake that map, actually. It's a piece of trash because I didn't have Mappy and stuff back then). :P:

The protagonists just don't run into more of the smarter Red Claw members until a little later.

I'll see what I can do about the enemy count. Thanks a bunch, Feawture.

Well as for the random cliffs, not really that random in a sense of location. If cliffs and mountains are in the same area then they're probably gonna be connected because they're both elevated so they were probably caused by the same thing, which means they are likely in the same "pressure zone" or something like that =3

It would be kinda weird if there was one random area inbetween the cliffs and mountains that didn't get affected by the pressure~

Yeah, that makes sense. I wasn't really sure what else to do with them without making it difficult for people to reach the northeastern path, though.

Edited by Anacybele

Alright, then. And if there are soldiers amongst them, shouldn't you add a few actual Soldiers in there? Would be nice to face some lance units, after all.

I didn't mean the actual Soldier class, my bad. There are only axe wielders and sword wielders among the enemy in this chapter. But don't worry, archers and lancers will appear soon enough.

You can have part of the enemy out initially, and call out the others as reinforcements. It means you can reduce enemy density at the onset, which should help with the clutter.

Your second map looks nice, I like it.

Although, I want to suggest something ... you said that you were making a web comic or something, which is why you're making these maps? In that case, I can understand why you'd want your maps to match what you have written in your story. But if there's one thing I've learned, it's never good to give yourself these constraints ahead of time. Don't be afraid to modify things up a little or to even rewrite parts of your story/web comic if necessary.

I knew you didn't mean the class. I just said that if there are soldiers amongst them, shouldn't there also be units of the soldier class? But yeah, okay, gotcha.

Yeah, those guys will appear eventually as well. Just not yet. Trying to keep things simple since these are the first few chapters of the story, you know?

Oh, and there aren't reinforcements this chapter, so I'll just delete a few enemies. It's no big deal, really.

Seoyeon: Fanfic, actually, that has a comic series to go with it. And I'll edit my comics if need be, but I have no intention of making changes to any of the battles in the first chapters. I don't feel there's any need to.

Mkay, here's the new version of the map.

dod_chapter_3_map_by_great_aether-d5dfgcf.png

Deleted a few enemies and also took out two tents. Decided to reposition a couple others as well.

Edited by Anacybele

Okay, remade the chapter 1 map real quick.

DoDCh1bmap-1.png

It's a small, simple map since it's just chapter 1 (there's no prologue map, btw. DoD's actual prologue is different from the traditional FE prologue to help show how difficult it would be if it were a game). Here, Azura and Elincia are looking for Ranulf, but they run into bandits (the same ones that later take Azura hostage) on the outskirts of the town they're in. Elincia is not "playable" quite yet, and Azura tells her to flee. One bandit goes after Elincia, but she skewers him. Then the player is able to send Azura to take care of the rest of the ruffians. There are two left for Azura to defeat, but once she takes care of one, another shows up, and this continues for four more turns.

Thus, the chapter's objective is to survive for five turns. But once these turns are up, a few more bandits show up and take Azura away (this scene is actually not shown in the story, cause the focus is on Elincia at the time. But Azura explains that this is what happened when she is found again).

Azura is the lord character of this story, so she'll be getting a unique overworld sprite.

EDIT: Ah crap, I just realized this map is two tiles too small (to fit on a GBA screen). Argh.

EDIT2: Okay, I got around to fixing that issue. lol

Edited by Anacybele

Added units. :)

dod_chapter_1_map_by_great_aether-d3dzcjk.png

This time, I made a unique sprite for Azura, as I had promised. Since she promotes twice, she'll be getting two more unique overworld sprites in the future. I also made one of the bandits a boss unit this time as well. I do say one of them is the "ring-leader" in the story, so yeah.

EDIT: Edited it to make Azura's hair red (why didn't I do that before? Eliwood's hair is still red in his overworld sprite lol. So's Roy's. Since Azura is also a redhead, it would make perfect sense for her hair to be red in her sprite too).

Edited by Anacybele

You know, why haven't I shown this mug yet? It's kinda old, but I still like how it turned out nonetheless. :)

jerec___the_wandering_daein_by_great_aether-d4nt7qs.png

This guy's name is Jerec. He's a hot-headed, but noble lancer that was actually created by my co-author, and then I came up with most of his backstory and some of his personality traits (like that he's a bit of a heavy sleeper). Anyway, Jerec is the son of one of Daein's Four Riders from PoR. Take a guess which one is his father. :P:

Or, if you don't want to, read more about him here (you'll find out why he's wearing a cloak too).

He's a partial splice of Eliwood (cloak plus modified face) and Wil (bangs). He doesn't actually appear in the fic I've been referring to in this thread, but he is a major character in a couple of related short stories and he will appear in the main fic's sequel (as an older man).

EDIT: Edited the chapter 3 map to where there's no Mercenaries. I seriously don't know why I put those. That class doesn't exist in RD, therefore it's not in my fic either. xP

Edited by Anacybele

Azura is a redhead? I thought she had purple hair. Must have been her old design then...

Her sprite looks fine as far as i can tell. (of course i know fuck all about map sprites)

Jerec looks pretty good! I cant see any glaring issues. Hes pretty cleanly spliced. Nice.