Most Underrated Character

-Cynthia-

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bastian is attacking res, unlike those assholes

The only reason that Bastian could ever be more useful than a royal is 1-2 range countering. But because he doesn't double, he's not even very good for that compared to a physical beorc with a decent 1-2 weapon. Also, the only time there are a ton of pretty durable 1-2 range units is 4-3, where you probably kill Dheg before Bastian gets to him. But in practice, the only thing that Bastian can do better than the royals by attacking is damaging a unit without killing it, in order to baby other late-game units that you don't really need to bother leveling. The royals are pretty shitty at that. Bastian is better at doing it than the units I think are good to bring to 4-F, that's why I don't think he's a good choice to bring.

Which is why I said that you'd pick Soren over Bastian if you were using Rexcalibur.

That's probably true. Soren with rexcalibur in 4-4 is probably more useful than Bastian with Rexcalibur with 4-5, and there can be only one. Unless you use full inventory convoy to send rexcalibur to base. Even then, it's hard to understand how Bastian could do anything useful when Izuka is being killed by a flier.

Soren moves too damn slow for Part 3 to give a shit about him. At least all the chapters after Bastian joins are very small so his low movement isn't as much as an issue

That's probably true for Soren for the most part. But I think he's probably useful in 3-1, 3-3, 3-5 and 3-6. Well, for 3-5 and 3-6, I think the chapter end is constant, so you can level him without much consequence for part 4. 4-1 probably is an OK place to level if you're strong enough to fight...I think...since you might be branching out your units. It's also kind of nice for any ground unit to be able to climb the ledges in 4-4, especially if they can use a restore staff if someone gets put to sleep.

Bastian's move probably is an issue in 4-F-3, unless you have bolting (in which case, if you made the investment to get bolting, you'll probably at least consider using a mage with a 34 spd cap).

Edited by Mouse

And why are you choosing who to use based on weapons?

Why not? Some people plan ahead and want a couple of units to spam those SS weapons. I know i always plan to bring someone who can use the Wishblade, someone for Alondite (usually a swordie), and someone for one of the SS tomes. (because fuck it, i like mages.) Hell, the only time i didnt bring someone to use Urvan was the last run i did.

Why not? Some people plan ahead and want a couple of units to spam those SS weapons. I know i always plan to bring someone who can use the Wishblade, someone for Alondite (usually a swordie), and someone for one of the SS tomes. (because fuck it, i like mages.) Hell, the only time i didnt bring someone to use Urvan was the last run i did.

I agree with this...I like Canas a lot simply by virtue of him joining fairly early with elder magic. I even like Pelleas for joining with dark magic a short run from the end. And I like Rhys in FE9 for having light magic. Units can be underrated on account of their lack of contribution to optimizing results that people here talk about optimizing. I don't know if any FE unit is underrated on that basis though.

Probably every FE unit is overrated on this forum though :P Well, I know I don't overrate many Akaneia characters, because I don't even know most of their names or faces. I'm talking objectively here, though.

Edited by Mouse

After getting to use him a bit in a couple drafts, I think FE1/3 Jeigan gets a little too much of a bad rap. His growths barely exist, but his bases make him easily your best unit for at least a few chapters and allow him to hold on okay for about half the game. Turns out 9 defense, a horse, and silver weapons make for a handy unit.

After getting to use him a bit in a couple drafts, I think FE1/3 Jeigan gets a little too much of a bad rap. His growths barely exist, but his bases make him easily your best unit for at least a few chapters and allow him to hold on okay for about half the game. Turns out 9 defense, a horse, and silver weapons make for a handy unit.

But Jeigan doesn't have exclusive access to silver in those games. Sheeda can use that thing too. Abel will only take a stat-up with a 70% growth until he can use that thing as well. And with his 50% Spd growth, Abel might already match Jeigan's attack speed at that point.

But Jeigan doesn't have exclusive access to silver in those games. Sheeda can use that thing too. Abel will only take a stat-up with a 70% growth until he can use that thing as well. And with his 50% Spd growth, Abel might already match Jeigan's attack speed at that point.

There's always the star orb at least.

There's always the star orb at least.

What does the Star Orb have to do with this? It only increases growths in Monshu and you are expected to trade it in for the Falchion shortly after.

You only get it late very in the game. Even Est has already joined by then. If Jagen was being used, he is probably near max level by then and won't get much use out of it anymore.

What does the Star Orb have to do with this? It only increases growths in Monshu and you are expected to trade it in for the Falchion shortly after.

You only get it late very in the game. Even Est has already joined by then. If Jagen was being used, he is probably near max level by then and won't get much use out of it anymore.

Keeping the star orb and fighting off Medeus by weakening him with the Earth Orb before finishing him off with the Gradivus is underrated.

FE9/10 Makolov, my friend brought that up to me the other day, and when I checked I found that he has really surprising growths, despite coming late in the game in FE9, and low availability in FE10. I think this is mostly due to the fact that you have Titania, Oscar, and/or Kieran at high levels when he arrives in FE9. I'm pretty new here but I never notice his name come up on any forums, so I think it's fair to judge him as underrated.

Sigrun her speed growth is bad but her bases and weapon ranks are good enough for her to fight well. I like giving her critforges ^^'

Micaiah is very weak but so long as she's safe she's useful at healing and being a mage-archer.

Sothe in exchange for lategame performance he does crazy things no one else can in Part 1 ^^' I don't think Ike does anything near significant in Part 3 as Sothe in Part 1.

Nealuchi I think he's an excellent fighter so long as he gets S rank by the end of 2-P, and that's not difficult to achieve.

Astrid she's not difficult to raise, her class is good, and having innate paragon is good to combine with blossom.

Mordecai I like giving him wrath and letting him get hurt until he can active wrath and transform to kill things ;3;.

Gilliam I used him once in a 0% draft he's tanky enough to be useful for several chapters ^^'.

Syrene for the same reasons I gave Sigrun except the critforges ^^'.

Eirika I find her more useful than Joshua and I like her rapier.

Edited by Maiden_of_Emblem